Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Reggie Fils-Aime

Person » credited in 5 games

Reginald "Reggie" Fils-Aime was President and Chief Operating Officer of Nintendo of America from 2006-2019. His body is always ready to kick your ass and take your name!

Nintendo To Win Over The "Halo Crowd"

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Nintendo president Reggie Fils-Aime has detailed Nintendo's future plans, including winning over the "Halo crowd".

In an interview with Edge Online, Fils-Aime expressed hopes to "win over" Xbox 360 and PS3 owners who bad mouth the Wii to fellow gamers.

"We think we can win over the Halo audience with something like The Conduit, a multi-player, online, shooting experience, or Dead Space Extraction. And you know what? Once those people buy into Wii, they'll go buy Mario Kart or Wii Fit Plus."

"Nintendo's long-term strategy remains as it has for some time: people who say "I don't play videogames, and I have no interest in playing videogames."

*uggh*

Reggie clearly has not got a clue, the hardcore gamers of today play a extremely diverserange of content, so to then refer to them all as the "Halo crowd", is plain dumb. It makes him and Nintendo seem way out of touch.

The generic looking, The Conduit, and lightgun game, Dead Space: Extraction, are not going to set the industry alight [ . ], Tiger Woods 10 perhaps may well do, but certainly not the likes of The Conduit. And this talk of such hardcore gamers then buying Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit +, is comical.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By StarFoxA

Mario Kart Wii I can see "hardcore" gamers buying. But Wii Fit Plus? Ha.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @StarFoxA said:
    " Mario Kart Wii I can see "hardcore" gamers buying. But Wii Fit Plus? Ha. "

There is nothing about Mario Kart Wii that will appeal to the hardcore after playing it for 10 minutes. That game was not built for the hardcore Nintendo fans that built that franchise, instead it made for little kids who care little about serious completion, and what made the game so great in the past.

Mario Kart Wii could not be more casual.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meh, it's just PR. It's not that bad either, only when taken to the extreme. Remember, he may refer to hardcore gaming, but he's still betting on the more mainstream media and audience. Not guys like us, but mainstream fanboys who think they're hardcore. And to them, games like The Conduit do have a certain amount of hype over how hardcore they are. And of course the same goes to Halo. So for that kind of thing, it's not so weird he combines them in such a way. Even though The Conduit is not what will pull gamers in, I'd bet more on Japanese titles like Monster Hunter 3, The Crystal Bearers, Sin & Punishment 2, and other involving titles. But also Western EA games, Silent Hill, and others of course.

Anyway, this thread will quickly be reduced to a troll fest about how Wii has no hardcoer gamez all over again, with people forgetting simplefacts.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Tylea002
    Reggie said:
    Once those people buy into Wii, they'll go buy Mario Kart or Wii Fit Plus.
    So your plan isn't to "win over" its to convert them from one type of gaming to another. Bad idea. Nintendo have 2 large split audiences, instead of pissing both off they should just focus on one, and this generation their strongest suit is the casual games. If you want to "win over" gamers then there has to be more than one game you think they'll like. They won't just then buy all the other shit for the Wii. It's nice that they THINK they are catering to this market, but someone needs to tell them how to do that properly.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Linkyshinks: I played it for about 15 minutes, so there. :\
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Systech

I'm pretty sure that the "Halo Crowd" already thinks that the Wii is lame. Anything that has over a thousand party games is so below them, but I don't blame that reason.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @StarFoxA said:
    " @Linkyshinks: I played it for about 15 minutes, so there. :\ "

10 mins before they realize the game is not the game they hoped it would be. Most of the people I know in the retro boat hate Mario Kart Wii, that game is a kick in the teeth to fans of the earlier games, it's clearly been designed with a younger audience in mind. It's a casual game through and through, there's nothing to keep a hardcore gamers playing it.

@systech said:
    " I'm pretty sure that the "Halo Crowd" already thinks that the Wii is lame. Anything that has over a thousand party games is so below them, but I don't blame that reason. "

True. The impression is stuck now and there's nothing Nintendo can do with software that can change that. In their eyes it will still be lame but with the odd great game appearing from Nintendo and a choice few third parties.

synt4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By synt4x
    "We think we can win over the Halo audience with something like The Conduit, a multi-player, online, shooting experience, or Dead Space Extraction.

Yeah, no. You're gonna have to try harder than The Conduit, Reggie. And Dead Space Extraction? I don't think so.
    Also, where is Super Mario Galaxy in that statement?

Edit: Totally agree that Mario Kart Wii is lame as shit. Wtf happened? It clearly shows that Nintendo is more concerned about their casual market nowadays. Mario Kart DS was perhaps the best Mario Kart ever and now this? How do you go from TOTALLY AWESOME to totally lame in just one iteration?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

They could get Halo 4 exclusively on Wii and they wouldn't necessarily win the "Halo Crowd'.

Above most else, Wii needs a much better online infrastructure, universal non-number friend codes and much better online communication features to even take steps towards reaching that market.

synt4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By synt4x

HAHA yeah imagine Halo with friend-codes. xD

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Axersia

I think it's impossible for the Wii to ever win over the "Halo crowd," but they might be able to win over a different branch of hardcore gamers -- the RPG crowd. They're certainly well on their way in doing so.

I'm gonna have to get a Wii eventually for Tales of Graces and Dragon Quest X, and just like I did when I bought a GameCube for Tales of Symphonia and Twilight Princess (yes, this was before the big TP delay -- otherwise I would've just gotten a Wii instead), I'll pick up plenty of other games as well -- most likely including Mario Kart Wii (I don't normally play racing games so I really don't know what makes this game casual and don't give a damn either).

Now picking up Wii Fit.... Yeah... not so much.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

No. They'll never get to us, hardcore gamers, by giving us shit like the Conduit. That will not work. We will not surrender to casual gaming, even though that is Nintendo's utopia.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Death_Unicorn

lulz.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Axersia

The Wii is already building up quite a significant catalogue of good RPG's. It was always destined to I think, what with it being a Japanese console and the success of the genre on DS to date. What I like is how some of these games really take advantage of the unque controls quite well, in a similar way to those on DS do. I actually think there is equal room for innovation on Wii than seen in these next gen projects on 360 and PS3, developers simply need to realise this and follow suit in the same mode as Square Enix is currently.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meowayne

Wii Fit > Halo

And I liked Halo.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crunchUK

rofl

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meowayne

crunchUK, you have not played Wii Fit, therefore you have no authority whatsoever to comment on that issue. : )

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks

Thanks, I linked it again in the OP, hopefully it works now.

4thPersonJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By 4thPersonJohn
    @Linkyshinks said:
    Reggie clearly has not got a clue, the hardcore gamers of today play a extremely diverserange of content, so to then refer to them all as the "Halo crowd", is plain dumb. It makes him and Nintendo seem way out of touch.
    I think there's a little confusion here to whom Reggie is addressing as the "Halo crowd." I really doubt he's referring to the forum-scouring Kotaku-addicts like us, but rather everyone ranging from Halo/Gears-addicted frat boys to the large amount of people you see exploring Gamestop without having done online research.

It's large crowd, hell, probably larger than us, and I think they fit the title of "Halo crowd" much better than we do. And Reggie's plan to get them into the same stuff they've been badmouthing/hearing badmouthed could very well work, at least to a certain degree.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Claude

I love Mario Kart Wii, and I played all the older console versions. Online is a blast, but you better bring your "A" game if you're in a group of high VR people. Nothing feels better than beating some 8000+ VR racers with my little 7000 VR Mii on a motorcycle.

Good luck Nintendo you'll need it to win over that crowd.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Mushir

Halo crowd? What the hell? That's just messed up.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dalai

The Conduit and Dead Space: Extraction will not win over the "Halo crowd" but it might win over a small portion of that crowd I guess.  Call of Duty: World at War came out for the Wii and didn't really do anything so why would two lesser franchises make a big impact?

Reggie means well, but that was a dumb thing to say.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By killdave

The problem with the "Halo crowd" is that they are too busy playing Halo 3 /Hhalo ODST and Halo: Reach ...

hehe ...

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Alexander

I like Halo and I have to say I'm interested in Silent Hill and Dead Space. In terms of shifting the "Halo" audiences' opinion, he might have a point.

He's saying Halo fans won't look at the Wii as some kind of cosmic joke with the titles they have upcoming. I can see that.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By TheKidNixon

You know...when Reggie is talking about the "Halo crowd," I don't think he means that synonymously with "hardcore gamer." In fact, he says in that same quote that he's talking about reaching out to people who wouldn't necessarily label themselves as gamers. A large number of people who play Halo might play that, Call of Duty 4 and little else. Isn't this one of the things that Halo is consistently lauded for by Microsoft, for having the great crossover appeal? Think of all the stereotypical frat house brothers who get together to play Halo before downing 25 Sparks a night.

That isn't to say that Nintendo can reach out to those consumers, or that in some way they aren't already. I can't tell you the number of parties I've been to with non-gamers where Wii Sports or Mario Kart gets busted out. The crossover appeal of the Wii is pretty strong, with or without the Conduit.

I think you people need to read what he's saying a bit more closely.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Meowayne

^ Most reasonable post in the history of the internet.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Jensonb
    @Linkyshinks: Fantastic bit of fanboyism from you there Linky, nice work.

Reggie specifically said "The Halo crowd". That does not mean "The core gamers" as a whole. The Halo crowd is the kind of person who thinks playing certain types of games makes them cool. The type of person who can say, with a straight face, CoD:WaW is better than CoD4. The Halo audience and the core are not one and the same.

Also, maybe you don't like Mario Kart, but that does not mean you can dismiss it as having no appeal to core gamers. Stop substituting your opinion for fact.
    Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By Brundage

To be hardcore you need a controller not a wand, nuff said.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I want my goddamn black Wii dammit. 

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Alex_Murphy

The Wii will NEVER win over the Halo crowd. Halo is all about the multilayer, and if you can't play against strangers without their friend code it'll never work

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Meowayne
    @Alex_Murphy said:
    " The Wii will NEVER win over the Halo crowd. Halo is all about the multilayer, and if you can't play against strangers without their friend code it'll never work "
    Er, you can.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#34  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think that the conduit is more than capable of turning a few Halo player's heads, if only because of the motion controlled Online Multiplayer. Does that mean that it appeals to me (I would consider myself a "Hardcore" Gamer and a fan of FPS games)? Hell No.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Jensonb said:
    " @Linkyshinks: Fantastic bit of fanboyism from you there Linky, nice work.

Reggie specifically said "The Halo crowd". That does not mean "The core gamers" as a whole. The Halo crowd is the kind of person who thinks playing certain types of games makes them cool. The type of person who can say, with a straight face, CoD:WaW is better than CoD4. The Halo audience and the core are not one and the same.

Also, maybe you don't like Mario Kart, but that does not mean you can dismiss it as having no appeal to core gamers. Stop substituting your opinion for fact.
    "

Firstly, what fanboyism are you referring to?, I see no hint of any such nonsense in my OP, so please do elaborate because I am puzzled.

Secondly, where do I state any of my opinions as being facts?. And do tell, where do I dismiss Mario Kart Wii as having no appeal to core gamers, I never used that term in any of my earlier posts, because I never use it. What I did actually say is that it would take hardcore gamers very little time to realize it has been designed for people like yourself, younger gamers.

The game is weak nonsense meant solely to bring a younger audience to the franchise, the only good thing about the game is it's online mode, that works very well. Aside from that, the game is a pile of shit to most seasoned Mario Kart fans like myself. It's rubber banding is horrifically bad, nullifying any credibility in competition both online and off. (-but of course kids will love it)

It's MP modes are crap also, not allowing anyone to actually lose as individuals!, why is this?, because Nintendo don't want little kids crying at losing, lol.

Raping Block Fort up it's blocky arse. Really annoying sound effects from all the characters. Nonsensical character selection, which defies logic, added to terrible looking 3D character models, as well as weakly themed levels which feature dull graphics and sound, apart from a choice few levels which have all the hallmark of Mario Kart *Maple*. 

These are opinions I have gained myself, and from fellow seasoned Mario Kart fans of my age, soon after the game launched. It did not take long for me and others to realize Mario Kart Wii is weak crap meant for a younger and casual audience, not me who bought the very first game on launch day.

It's certainly not a game that will turn those that play Halo and the likes, to pick up a Wii.

The Halo crowd is the kind of person who thinks playing certain types of games makes them cool. The type of person who can say, with a straight face, CoD:WaW is better than CoD4. The Halo audience and the core are not one and the same.

Where do you get this great insight into what he meant exactly?

I can say CoD4 is better than WaW with ease, does that also make me part of the Halo crowd?, if so, do GTFO please.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By ThomasP
    @Brundage said:
    " To be hardcore you need a controller not a wand, nuff said. "
    Wrong, if by wand you are referring to the Wiimote.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "
    @StarFoxA said:
    " Mario Kart Wii I can see "hardcore" gamers buying. But Wii Fit Plus? Ha. "
    There is nothing about Mario Kart Wii that will appeal to the hardcore after playing it for 10 minutes. That game was not built for the hardcore Nintendo fans that built that franchise, instead it made for little kids who care little about serious completion, and what made the game so great in the past.Mario Kart Wii could not be more casual. "
    What is Casual?
    I am currently playing Persona 3, Mario Kart, Grand Theft Auto 4, Zuma, Red Faction Geurilla, and Mass Effect. So what would you label me?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By TwoOneFive

fuck nintendo. there, i said it. 

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zityz

Only way to win over the "halo crowd" is to market the game by drilling the same drivell over and over again with flashy viral marketing and stupid leet speek all around.

To be honest the young gamer crowd of today only gives a shit about 2 things: Badass-ness and Graphics. Oh wait and some way to comunicate to others how much better they are then the other person with hate speach and ethic slurs.

Since Nintendo doesnt really market this to most young "cool" gamers. Those people wont care. They will bite if they give samus jiggly DDs and a bikini. and Mario has to be shooting fools all over the place with a M-16, while the princess is dressed as a whore. and Nintendo makes a character who wears a banana hammock can lift a building with his bare hands and can slice dudes in half as blood gushes everywhere while nakid women are running around and the dude screams fuck you all every 2 minutes. Oh and knifing...lots and lots of knifing motions.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Milkman

The Conduit isn't going to win over anyone. The game looks like complete ass.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Milkman
    @Jensonb said:

The Halo crowd is the kind of person who thinks playing certain types of games makes them cool. The type of person who can say, with a straight face, CoD:WaW is better than CoD4. The Halo audience and the core are not one and the same.
    YAY GENERALIZATIONS!
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PureRok

Why would they want to try to win over retards?

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Remember last gen when "casual" meant people who only played GTA, Madden, and Halo? These labels are stupid as fuck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.