Reggie Fils-Aime Retiring

#1 Posted by TheRealTurk (507 posts) -

Per Kotaku, Reggie Fils-Aime is retiring, effective April 15th.

I'm not much of a Nintendo guy, but even I understand his influence and I respected the enthusiasm with which he seemed to go about his task. The secret best part of this announcement is that he is being replaced by one Doug Bowser.

Well played, Nintendo.

#2 Posted by TheHT (15839 posts) -

Cool! Good for him.

Mr. Bowser being a new big shot at Nintendo is a pretty fucking phenomenal development for his name alone.

#3 Posted by Beomoose (793 posts) -

Man, the industry won't quite be the same without Reggie at Nintendo. Hope he has a joyous retirement.

#4 Posted by PatODay (395 posts) -

This totally overshadows Kevin Chain-Chomp being appointed head of copyright protection.

#5 Posted by tds418 (465 posts) -

@beomoose said:

Man, the industry won't quite be the same without Reggie at Nintendo. Hope he has a joyous retirement.

Hmm, looks like he's only 57 according to Wikipedia. I'm sure he's done well for himself at Nintendo but wouldn't be surprised to see him do something new after a couple years off.

#6 Posted by Rorie (5756 posts) -

Sucks, his enthusiasm always seemed like a key part of Nintendo taking the American market seriously. Hope they get someone capable to fill the void.

Staff
#7 Edited by Dizzyhippos (4625 posts) -

@rorie: The man replacing him is named Doug Bowser (not a joke).

Few people would of leaned into becoming a meme as hard and as well as he did. God speed good sir o7

#8 Posted by Shiftygism (935 posts) -

"Fuck 'em!"

#9 Posted by Humanity (18725 posts) -

His body is ready for retirement I suppose.

#10 Posted by TheRealTurk (507 posts) -

@dizzyhippos said:

@rorie: The man replacing him is named Doug Bowser (not a joke).

And his assistant Dee Emex Goomba.

#11 Posted by mellotronrules (2591 posts) -

@shiftygism: i was going to say,

“and thusly, with bittersweet tears- the final FUCK EM was uttered.”

#12 Posted by JohnyMyko (1869 posts) -
#13 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4317 posts) -

end of an era.

#14 Posted by Gundato (223 posts) -

First off: Cograts to Reggie. Because we all know he totally hangs out here

Aside from that: I know the narrative for years has been that Reggie is the voice of sanity that Nintendo occasionally listens to and a lot of their slightly less insane moves are credited to him. Do we know how much of that was true and how much was just Nintendo HQ realizing it isn't the 90s anymore?

And do we know if Bowser is a comparable combination of "not batshit insane" and "occasionally listened to"?

#15 Posted by OurSin_360 (6158 posts) -

End of an era. He always seemed to genuinely care about the nintendo community.

And now Bowser runs nintendo. RIP mario

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
#16 Posted by rocketblast0063 (282 posts) -

Mr. Bowser taking his place is totally worth it. I mean, who can dominate an area better than King Koopa Troopa? And kidnap Phil Spencer when needed.

#17 Posted by Toxin066 (3539 posts) -

Genuinely saddened by this. Like, choked up at his goodbye video - super touching.

Thank you Reggie!

#18 Posted by Otacon (2337 posts) -

Yeah I'm actually a bit choked up. I've been a Nintendo fan since I was a kid and the first time I watched a press conference was the 2004 reveal of the DS. Reggie has been a massive part of Nintendo and I think his presence will really be missed. It's the end of an era really and I think the company have a lot to owe this guy. Really happy for him though and wish him all the best in his retirement.

#19 Posted by imhungry (1115 posts) -

You can't just hand over the company to BOWSER!!!

#20 Posted by sfw44 (275 posts) -

Reggie is awesome, Nintendo America won't be the same without him, he will be missed.

#21 Posted by Rebel_Scum (1442 posts) -

@imhungry said:

You can't just hand over the company to BOWSER!!!

It's almost like Nintendo was kidnapping the princess and putting her in another castle all along. smdh...how could we be so stupid.

#22 Posted by dgtlty (1222 posts) -

"My body is still ready"

#23 Edited by soulcake (2753 posts) -

"I am about taking names and selling pizzas"

Reggie did a alright job coming from the pizza selling game. Also how come we never hear something from Nintendo of Europe?

#24 Posted by Big_Denim (833 posts) -

@shiftygism: Heh. I came in here to say this, but looks like you beat me to it.

Fuck EM!

#25 Posted by bmccann42 (403 posts) -

Was never much of a Nintendo guy and never really bought into Reggie's persona (I found him a bit overwhelming to be honest and oddly "fake" in the same way I get the same "fake" feeling off of Phil Spencer), but am happy he is retiring and can do it while still relatively young.

Congrats Reggie!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.