Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Region Locked

Concept »

A version of a game purchased in one part of the world may not be playable in another. Region free games however, can be played anywhere.

Are PC games region-locked?

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Deusoma

I recently ordered a copy of Spider-Man: Web of Shadows for the PC off Amazon, since PC versions of such games are rarer than hen's teeth for some reason. Well, it arrived today, and I can't help but notice that instead of being rated T, it's rated PEGI 12, meaning this is a European copy of the game, which worries me as I live in Canada. I'll freely admit that I don't really know a damned thing about region-locking, and nobody'll touch an opened PC game, so I thought I'd ask first:

Are PC games region-locked? That is to say, will this copy of Web of Shadows from the UK function properly on my computer in Canada?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

Uhh... nope?

prod88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By prod88

i am 99.9% sure there is no region coding on PC games, unless there is some crazy DRM that requires activation from a European IP address. hopefully that helps...

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SexyToad

I don't belive so.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spoonman671

I just looked, and I have a UK copy of Crysis and that works fine.  I would think that any problems you would encounter would be highly dependent upon the publisher.  For the most part, I haven't heard of any game that won't work on a PC from a different territory.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Deusoma

Thanks, guys, I kinda figured this was the case, since PCs aren't made from a universal set of components the way consoles are, but it's still nice to be reassured. Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a city in need of saving. :-)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

While a PC game could theoretically include some form of proprietary region-locking, this is fortunately not a common thing. I'm not even sure it exists in the real world.

DVDs do have region-locking, but it's only used for video and I'm not sure if it's even possible to region-lock other types of DVDs.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Jrinswand

Yeah, some games are region-locked. I think some of the Call of Duty games are region-locked, for example.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#9  Edited By bobafettjm

I bought a couple of Games for Windows Live PC games from Amazon which turned out to be European copies, and they still worked. Those games were Dawn of War II and Quantum of Solace by the way.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
    Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Gladiator_Games

@Deusoma: You'll be fine. I order tons of games from the UK all the time. Its a great way for collectors like me to get disc-based indie games

Edit: I live in ontario

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EXTomar

The only region locking in PC software is whether or not the vendor allows the sale. You can see this a lot in the MMO scene where it can be hard to get a vendor to ship you disks or take money online because the currency is wrong, shipping is too much or not allowed, or account tools are in a language the user doesn't understand and can't control. Once one gets over that hurdle software runs anywhere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.