Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 0

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 10, 2002

Resident Evil Zero is a prequel to the long running Resident Evil series, being set merely a day before the Mansion Incident of the original Resident Evil. Zero has players simultaneously control two protagonists: STARS Bravo member Rebecca Chambers, and escaped convict Billy Coen.

A step backwards?

jayclassic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jayclassic

I was looking forward to playing this game after playing the remake of resident evil on the game cube but when i played it I thought that it took a step backwards.
    Yes you could control 2 people at once and they did away with the item boxes allowing you to drop items.

The problem I had with this game was the cut scenes, in the resi 1 remake the cut scenes were rendered in game which went some way to keep me involved with the game as the graphics were the same.  With zero the cut scenes were FMV and not good FMV either it destroyed my involvement with the game as the pause in play while the scenes loaded it was like going back to playing it on the ps1.  I think the main problem with this game is that it was originally an N64 game and when porting it to the game cube they forgot to do something about the cut scenes.

I also found the story dull but I'll save that for now

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By lordofultima

Resident Evil Zero is just more Resident Evil. Item Boxes didn't make a whole bunch of sense, that's why they dropped the concept. Putting stuff in one box, and it magically being in another box across the country.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Shadow

well it DID go back in numbering instead of forward, so sure, you could say that.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By copycatzen
    @jayclassic:
    You should have played them in chronologicallll order, first zero, then remake, I did that and the experience was amazing.... but sorry about you..
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By dichemstys

I agree, the game does have some jarring transitions between the FMV and the gameplay but I think the game itself is incredible.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy

How very thread necromantic of you, birdflu, but I just had to comment because strangely enough I'm playing through this game right now. I'm loving it and it's my first classic style resident evil game I've played. I've only ever played 4 and 5. Strangley I think I might prefer this style.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By peacebrother
    @xyzygy said:
    " How very thread necromantic of you, birdflu, but I just had to comment because strangely enough I'm playing through this game right now. I'm loving it and it's my first classic style resident evil game I've played. I've only ever played 4 and 5. Strangley I think I might prefer this style. "
    The Resident Evil remake will blow your mind if you're enjoying Zero. It's pretty much amazing all around.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy
    @Melvargh said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " How very thread necromantic of you, birdflu, but I just had to comment because strangely enough I'm playing through this game right now. I'm loving it and it's my first classic style resident evil game I've played. I've only ever played 4 and 5. Strangley I think I might prefer this style. "
    The Resident Evil remake will blow your mind if you're enjoying Zero. It's pretty much amazing all around. "
    Sweet, good to know! How are the RE2 and 3 remakes on the gamecube?
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By EpicSteve
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Melvargh said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    The Resident Evil remake will blow your mind if you're enjoying Zero. It's pretty much amazing all around. "
    Sweet, good to know! How are the RE2 and 3 remakes on the gamecube? "
    They aren't remakes. Just ports. 
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @xyzygy: Not really remakes. Just ports. They may seem a step down if you've only played REmake and 0, but I would say RE2 still definitely has some merit. 3 is a little harder to swallow, but it does have a monster in a trenchcoat chasing you through the entire map... sooo there's that. If anything, my least favorite classical style Resident Evil game is probably Code Veronica.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Boooo! Code Veronica was awesome. 

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I derived no enjoyment from this game.  But thats true for all pre-RE4 RE games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I really liked RE0, even though I played REmake first and a few things didn't quite make sense canonically. Being able to leave items anywhere was good at some points and poor at others (grappling hook, anyone?). I don't remember having too much of a problem with the cutscenes though.

I'd recommend playing REmake and perhaps RE2 and RE3 before RE0 though; some things will probably fly over your head otherwise and it also kinda spoils REmake if you haven't been spoiled already.
    DiscoDuck8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DiscoDuck8k

Funny this topic should come up now. I've been on a Resident Evil kick lately, just re-bought the remake and RE0. It's been several years, looking forward to playing them all again. I'm currently going through RE2.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Soapy86:  You wanna fight about it, stranger? Because I have a six shooter at the ready at all times.

In summary: It's too long, there's way too much backtracking, the story manages to somehow even be dumb by Resident Evil standards and the only reason people remember it fondly is misplaced Dreamcast nostalgia.
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By dichemstys

I'm going back to try to finish it now, since I just finished REmake and it's awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.