Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 0

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 10, 2002

Resident Evil Zero is a prequel to the long running Resident Evil series, being set merely a day before the Mansion Incident of the original Resident Evil. Zero has players simultaneously control two protagonists: STARS Bravo member Rebecca Chambers, and escaped convict Billy Coen.

Wesker Mode announced for RE0...?!?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

So, first things first: RE0 and the remake are to be bundled together as one release, which is a smart move.

Though what's more important to note is,

WESKER MODE?!?

It trades Billy Coen for Albert Wesker, complete with red shades for whatever reason. I don't know if this is a separate minigame or if it will simply play out through the whole game. But what's hilarious is that this is Code: Veronica and beyond Wesker, so he can enact a few neat tricks like his super sprint and what looks like some sort of eye flash... thing. It all looks bloody ridiculous in motion, but man, Wesker mode??? So out of left field! I also like how Rebecca gets some new duds to match Wesker, making them look like a pair of Gestapo lovebirds or something. You can actually see her wearing one of these red jewel things that he used to brainwash and control Jill during RE5, too.

No Caption Provided

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Huh, well that's neat, hopefully we hear a little bit more about what it is exactly, but I love all the little different modes the Resident Evils have, or even the things they put in to make replaying the main game different some how. so whatever form this takes it's cool.

I love Gothbeccas look.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sure, why not. It helps them get more mileage out of the same environments. Might be fun to try after going through the regular runs of the main game. I'm curious to see what of the main game they leave in this mode. I can see this being some sort of challenge mode where they take specific rooms from the game and make you battle through it, kinda like the leeches hunter mode.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Sure, this is probably a new battle game or something, but I can dig something goofy like Matrix Wesker mode. Anything is better than Leech Hunter, which is still the single worst extra mode in a Resident Evil game. Now if only they rebalanced the game to make the inventory management less frustrating.... ah well, I was only going to get this on sale anyways.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Sounds dumb, hope its just wesker reading Billy's lines.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By hassun

I guess it's silly side avdventure. Really bummed out that it's Uroboros Wesker though. Would have been so much better if it were CV style or even classy RE4 style.
    At no point in time will I ever want to be reminded of RE5 Jill and anything related to Uroboros.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, this is probably a new battle game or something, but I can dig something goofy like Matrix Wesker mode. Anything is better than Leech Hunter, which is still the single worst extra mode in a Resident Evil game. Now if only they rebalanced the game to make the inventory management less frustrating.... ah well, I was only going to get this on sale anyways.

I still stand by CV's Battle Game taking the top dubious position of worst mainline RE minigame, but ya, Leech Hunter ain't very far behind, either.

@hassun said:

I guess it's silly side avdventure. Really bummed out that it's Uroboros Wesker though. Would have been so much better if it were CV style or even classy RE4 style.

At no point in time will I ever want to be reminded of RE5 Jill and anything related to Uroboros.

If we're talking costumes I would have much preferred he at least be wearing his STARS uniform.Would make more sense too given the time period. They already have that costume asset made and available after all, too.

Sounds dumb, hope its just wesker reading Billy's lines.

That'd be funny, though I highly doubt this'll actually have any voice acting. Especially since RE0 story Wesker is voiced by Richard Waugh, to which I can't imagine they'd go to the lengths of getting him, back, and having Wesker voiced by D.C Douglas instead would seem a bit weird.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Eh, it's basically impossible to make it work, timeline-wise. Hell, RE0 itself doesn't really work, timeline-wise.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

This is hilariously awesome. The exact thing I imagine a programmer just tossed in during a break and someone asked "what the hell are you playing?" and then they spent time actually doing it right.

One of these days we'll get the RE game we all deserve: WeskRE Files, where we get to play though all the REs over again but from Wesker's perspective.

Yeah, one day...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yummylee

@hassun said:

@yummylee: Eh, it's basically impossible to make it work, timeline-wise. Hell, RE0 itself doesn't really work, timeline-wise.

Oh, I know, I'm not suggesting they actually try to fit this weird thing into the 'canon' :P But still, Wesker looks purty awesome in his STARS uniform so I would have much preferred he be wearing that.

What don't you think works about RE0? It's really silly for Rebecca to be this playable protagonist who fights back tyrants and such, only to then revert to somebody who's mostly kinda useless combat-wise in the original. That, and what happened to all of her weapons?? But setting aside that plot-hole I think Zero fits in well enough. It's primarily unrelated to the original game so it stands on its own to provide details about some of the goings on / backstabbing between Umbrella higher ups and the creation of the T-Virus ect.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is hilariously awesome. The exact thing I imagine a programmer just tossed in during a break and someone asked "what the hell are you playing?" and then they spent time actually doing it right.

One of these days we'll get the RE game we all deserve: WeskRE Files, where we get to play though all the REs over again but from Wesker's perspective.

Yeah, one day...

That technically already exists in Umbrella Chronicles. Just too bad it's some mediocre light-gun game.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hassun

@yummylee: Yeah I meant the discrepancy it creates between RE0 and RE Rebecca.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Oh sure. But come on! Light–gun games are a stone's throw from... Well I don't know from what but something that doesn't matter very much! :)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yummylee

@geraltitude: Yeah, definitely. Umbrella Chronicles actually has enough potentially worthwhile stories in there that it's a shame they had to be delegated to some light-gun rubbish. Like during the time when Rebecca meets up with Richard leading up to the ill-fated Yawn encounter, Ada Wong escaping from Raccoon City, Leon & Krauser back when they were government bros doing missions together, and the take down of Umbrella! That last one in particular really seems like a waste of such a huge lore event to be restricted to a damned light-gun game.

Beyond Wesker stuff, another interesting idea I've always had floating around in my brain is a series of vignettes that follow each of the doomed STARS member leading to their final moments. Like witnessing Forest get pecked to death by crows, Enrico exploring the underground caverns, Edward running away from ''zombies & monsters'' before smashing through the window to the ecliptic express ect. Since so many of them die so soon upon discovering the zombies, I don't necessarily know how it'd work from a gameplay standpoint. If anything it would perhaps work best as an adventure-only sort of thing, with you switching from character to character upon their death, perhaps running at about an hour overall or something. Enrico could perhaps feature something more involved since he manages to last quite a while before finally eating it, and even then it was from being shot, the poor bastard...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I had heard that UC wasn't awful and I believe even some people at the time liked it. While I had a loose idea about what it concerned I had no idea where it really went. Realistically I'll never play it but, yeah, it really is too bad all those moments are left there, to rot (but never live again). This is a guess timeline wise but I'd love it if they added that Ada Wong scene to RE2. If they go the full REmake route, maybe that's not out of the question.

Really like your idea for a STARS game. Allow me eat it up! I've read you blog about it before so I know you're into the idea of a RE2-3 REmakeREmix that really meshes the two together, and if we may be so bold as to dream than I'd like to go big and dream of a game called Resident: STARS (or something ;) ) and run RE0-3 (+UC and other games within this timeline) together with huge edits and changes with the major difference being you play as everyone in STARS. I dunno, maybe it could have an almost Until Dawn element of dynamism and different outcomes. This would be an interesting way of having characters fall victim to famous deaths that aren't original theirs. Annnnd yes, this is a mess. lol but a hell of a mess it would be.

I'm such a sucker for the STARS members that any excuse to have them feature more in the games/other games is A-OK with me.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

@geraltitude: The two Umbrella Chronicles are fun enough, if you play them with a friend and don't care much about them taking some major poetic license with a few things.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I had heard that UC wasn't awful and I believe even some people at the time liked it. While I had a loose idea about what it concerned I had no idea where it really went. Realistically I'll never play it but, yeah, it really is too bad all those moments are left there, to rot (but never live again). This is a guess timeline wise but I'd love it if they added that Ada Wong scene to RE2. If they go the full REmake route, maybe that's not out of the question.

Really like your idea for a STARS game. Allow me eat it up! I've read you blog about it before so I know you're into the idea of a RE2-3 REmakeREmix that really meshes the two together, and if we may be so bold as to dream than I'd like to go big and dream of a game called Resident: STARS (or something ;) ) and run RE0-3 (+UC and other games within this timeline) together with huge edits and changes with the major difference being you play as everyone in STARS. I dunno, maybe it could have an almost Until Dawn element of dynamism and different outcomes. This would be an interesting way of having characters fall victim to famous deaths that aren't original theirs. Annnnd yes, this is a mess. lol but a hell of a mess it would be.

I'm such a sucker for the STARS members that any excuse to have them feature more in the games/other games is A-OK with me.

Well I at least didn't enjoy my time with it, though I was also admittedly playing it under the worst conditions - single-player with a DS3 controller... Though despite that it just doesn't seem like a very good light-gun shooter; not a lot of feedback to actually shooting things, and the pacing is suuuuper slow, to perhaps replicate the pacing of the original games, but for a light-gun game it doesn't work in the slightest.

You're spot-on with the idea of having an additional Ada side-story in the RE2 remake! Can't believe I didn't think of it myself! I also quite like the idea of there existing this weird 'what if' scenario pertaining to the STARS members. I'd love to see a reality where Chris & Jill perish and it's up to a different pair of STARS members to save the day! Would be funny if the traitor was different, too... Make it so Rebecca Chambers is, somehow, the evil Umbrella researcher luring STARS to their grisly end :P

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: The light gun games are totally okay if you're playing with some sort of motion control remote dongle. By the low, low, low standards of Resident Evil spinoff games they're at the top of the pack.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: The light gun games are totally okay if you're playing with some sort of motion control remote dongle. By the low, low, low standards of Resident Evil spinoff games they're at the top of the pack.

I believe that honour goes to Resident Evil: Outbreak. ;) Only the first one, though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @arbitrarywater said:

I believe that honour goes to Resident Evil: Outbreak. ;) Only the first one, though.

I never played either of the Outbreak games. I've been led to believe that playing them offline, alone, might be an exercise in frustration. Well, moreso than trying to play a Resident Evil game with other human players.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

Huh, well that's neat, hopefully we hear a little bit more about what it is exactly, but I love all the little different modes the Resident Evils have, or even the things they put in to make replaying the main game different some how. so whatever form this takes it's cool.

I love Gothbeccas look.

Reading Gothbecca immediately had me envision Rebecca cosplaying as Chewbacca with the portmanteau of Chewbecca......

Sure, why not. It helps them get more mileage out of the same environments. Might be fun to try after going through the regular runs of the main game. I'm curious to see what of the main game they leave in this mode. I can see this being some sort of challenge mode where they take specific rooms from the game and make you battle through it, kinda like the leeches hunter mode.

I was initially considering the idea of a classic Mercs: Operation Jackal mode, though the gameplay of RE0 is too slow to really work within the fast-pace setting of even the original Mercs mode. I also think it's unfortunate that between this and the remake it's RE0 that gets the new, silly minigame mode. All the remake got in terms of new additions was Chris & Jill's BSAA outfits =/

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

I also think it's unfortunate that between this and the remake it's RE0 that gets the new, silly minigame mode. All the remake got in terms of new additions was Chris & Jill's BSAA outfits =/

Well at a certain level I think it makes sense. I don't think Capcom expected the kind of reception the HD REmake would get so they didn't put too many resources into it beyond making sure it worked in widescreen. Now that they've seen that there is still a demand they decide to try new things with this version.

I hope this would mean there will be even more minigame modes in the RE2make.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

I also think it's unfortunate that between this and the remake it's RE0 that gets the new, silly minigame mode. All the remake got in terms of new additions was Chris & Jill's BSAA outfits =/

Well at a certain level I think it makes sense. I don't think Capcom expected the kind of reception the HD REmake would get so they didn't put too many resources into it beyond making sure it worked in widescreen. Now that they've seen that there is still a demand they decide to try new things with this version.

I hope this would mean there will be even more minigame modes in the RE2make.

Fair point. Shame it had to be the remake that was essentially their 'guinea pig' while RE0 is then treated to more attention, what with all of the developer diaries they're doing for it as well.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Agreed. Hey, there's always the VR QHD REmake to look forward to in 10 years right?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@yummylee: Ugh, so there is no way just to buy RE0 alone? Already bought the HD Remaster of 1 which I loved but I really don't wanna buy it again to just be able to get at RE0....

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Yummylee

@demoskinos: Oh no, RE0 is still being released as a stand-alone digital download as well.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.