Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 21, 1998

Rookie cop Leon S. Kennedy and civilian Claire Redfield must make their way through a zombie-infested Raccoon City in the sequel to Capcom's original "survival horror" classic.

Resident Evil 2 HD Remake in the Works

• 99 results
    Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I've only played RE4 and most of RE5 and seeing as earlier RE's have such a fandom I figure I might as well play the quote "best game in the series". Has RE2 aged well at all or should I might as well wait a little longer for this remake?

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really hope this gets the REmake treatment and isn't just an HD version. Since the team making it are the people doing the HD ports for REmake and Zero, I'm a little worried it'll just be a pretty version of RE2.

Although I would probably still enjoy a pretty RE2.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fawkes said:

I really hope this gets the REmake treatment and isn't just an HD version. Since the team making it are the people doing the HD ports for REmake and Zero, I'm a little worried it'll just be a pretty version of RE2.

Although I would probably still enjoy a pretty RE2.

It's pretty clear it's going to be an actual remake.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What does this mean for the Resident Evil 2 Fan Remake, I wonder?

Loading Video...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I will buy this day one and yummylee the man for blogging about a potential remake HOURS before the official news. He must have an inside source...

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: just go download and play the HD version of REmake right now, for starters.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Finally . Re2 is the best Resident Evil game and deserves a super remake !

JonnyAshley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When RE4 came out, I wanted nothing more than a remake of RE2 with that control scheme. When RE6 came out, I never wanted a game like that again. I'm ready for a REmake style adaptation of RE2. I want tank controls, Raccoon City, Scenario A and Scenario B, and I will tolerate a few Lisa Trevor style additions to the mix. RE2 was a more perfect game than the original Resident Evil, and messing too much with the classic design would be risky.

JonnyAshley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skaninja said:

There are a few things I really hope for this:

• tank controls
    • classic camera angles
    • plays off expectations

What made REmake so great was that it added a few new areas, puzzles, and enemies alongside the core game we knew. Encountering your first crimsonhead was scary.

Oh yeah and this for sure. I would love to see crimsonheads back in the picture.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I honestly don't mind just original PS1 game ported over onto other consoles. I am aware the gamecube games never sold well, and it wouldn't be in capcom's interest to spend that much time developing a game in that detailed graphics.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: I should have mentioned that I have played about an hour REmake on the gamecube (that is the same one right?) and I hated everything about it from the tank controls to the limited amount of saves. Does RE2 improve of any of those systems?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By nightriff

@nightriff: I should have mentioned that I have played about an hour REmake on the gamecube (that is the same one right?) and I hated everything about it from the tank controls to the limited amount of saves. Does RE2 improve of any of those systems?

Well the recent HD remake added an analog control option, probably what you are looking for and if you reeeeeeally hate the save system, just Cheat Engine that shit and give yourself a hundred save ribbons. If you want to read my thoughts on RE2, which I just recently played for the first time, I wrote a blog about 2 (and 3) and 2 is an amazing game still to this day. It does a lot of things differently from the first original game that makes it still stand out. Now I don't know what kind of remake this will be, I obviously think it will be within the same ideals of the REmake (for PC) and the forth coming RE0make that is scheduled for early next year. I personally highly doubt they will change it to be a 3rd person shooter ala RE4, 5, 6, Rev 1 and 2.

As stated, if those minor things really bother you about the REmake, get the recent release as it adds the new control scheme (on all versions, PC, PS4, Xbone) and you can basically ignore the save system with cheat engine or mods if it bothers you that much. Honestly those are things I think you can overcome and enjoy an amazing game.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By CByrne

Tofu needs to be a playable character from the start.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

What does this mean for the Resident Evil 2 Fan Remake, I wonder?

Two words. Cease and desist.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

omg omg omg omg. Please, PLEASE do it REmake Gamecube style. That would make it the scariest game of the year. Hands down.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Yeah, I guess this makes a lot of sense after that first REmake.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom scraping the barrel for cash.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd rather have Nemesis but this sounds great. I really hope it's like the Gamecube remake of 1. Faithful recreation but with much better graphics.

austin_walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the first time they have remaked RE2?

I half remember the game being "improved" when ported to other systems, and given Capcom track record, I can't believe this is the first time they thought of remaking it.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there logic as to why it was called "the Zapping System"?

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skaninja said:

There are a few things I really hope for this:

• tank controls
    • classic camera angles
    • plays off expectations

What made REmake so great was that it added a few new areas, puzzles, and enemies alongside the core game we knew. Encountering your first crimsonhead was scary.

Oh yeah and this for sure. I would love to see crimsonheads back in the picture.

I almost want a hybrid of classic RE fixed camera angles and over the shoulder third-person camera for aiming. Movement is still a challenge but at least aiming isn't an exercise in guessing perspectives.

Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sell me this shirt

Avatar image for bernard_bernoulli
    Bernard_Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: The RE2 PS1 version is on the Playstation Network, so you can play that on the PS3 or the Vita

Murdoc_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't operation racoon city set in RE 2? Wonder if it will be anything like that.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@hermes said:

Is this the first time they have remaked RE2?

I half remember the game being "improved" when ported to other systems, and given Capcom track record, I can't believe this is the first time they thought of remaking it.

It's been ported numerous times but has never been remade or 'improved' to any significant degree, no.

Is there logic as to why it was called "the Zapping System"?

Not really, as the name implies you're able to switch between characters at will when that's not at all how the game's structured. A 'zapping system' is what you'd call the character dynamics of RE0.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Yummylee

@murdoc_ said:

Wasn't operation racoon city set in RE 2? Wonder if it will be anything like that.

It was set during the events of RE2 & RE3... but it's a four-player cooperative third-person shooter akin to a SOCOM game. It was also terrrriibbblleee, so hopefully the remake won't be like it at all.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Kobayashi?

You can't trust that guy!

SaltyKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SaltyKenny

Can't wait for Capcom to remake the remake of Resident Evil 2 and have Jeff lose his shit.

Avatar image for theindomitablesnowman
    TheIndomitableSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one hyper excited for a new Extreme Battle Mode after how goddamn good Raid Mode was in Revelations 2? Incidentally, I mainly play as HUNK in raid mode. Mainly because he's the only guy that showed up properly dressed for a zombie virus outbreak,.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm pretty sick of remasters, and while I like remakes more, new games are always more exciting. However, Resident Evil has lost its way so goddamn hard after RE4 and Mikami left. Making REmake work on modern systems and giving RE2 a proper REmake do-over is the most exciting thing they could possibly do, especially if they can get Kamiya back for some consulting.

Avatar image for mattoncybertron
    mattoncybertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DON'T SHOOT I'M A HUMAN!

into this!

easily my most played RE and a new coat of paint ala REmake sounds awesome!

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Resident Evil 2 hasn't been remade since the original, right? They probably have to do more to than simply upping the resolution. Since 2 is the game in the series I have the most nostalgia for, I'm tentatively excited for the remake.

billyok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember when Capcom made new games? I vaguely do.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#88 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Oh cool. My favorite Resident Evil game.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion said:

Well the recent HD remake added an analog control option, probably what you are looking for and if you reeeeeeally hate the save system, just Cheat Engine that shit and give yourself a hundred save ribbons. If you want to read my thoughts on RE2, which I just recently played for the first time, I wrote a blog about 2 (and 3) and 2 is an amazing game still to this day. It does a lot of things differently from the first original game that makes it still stand out. Now I don't know what kind of remake this will be, I obviously think it will be within the same ideals of the REmake (for PC) and the forth coming RE0make that is scheduled for early next year. I personally highly doubt they will change it to be a 3rd person shooter ala RE4, 5, 6, Rev 1 and 2.

As stated, if those minor things really bother you about the REmake, get the recent release as it adds the new control scheme (on all versions, PC, PS4, Xbone) and you can basically ignore the save system with cheat engine or mods if it bothers you that much. Honestly those are things I think you can overcome and enjoy an amazing game.

If only I had a strong enough computer to run REmake :(

Thanks for the cheat engine tip. I'll take that into consideration once I build up my new rig.

Avatar image for thebeardedfellow
    thebeardedfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My money...just take it. Just take my money now!

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I genuinely curious as to why everyone points at the Gamecube REmake as a "Faithful Recreation" -- didn't Capcom change several aspects about the game (the addition of defensive items, the changing of room lay-outs, enemy and item placement, etc.)?

Granted, it seems like the REmake was a more mature and refined version of the game, and it seems like the changes were for the better.

Also, I am absolutely perplexed at the people clamouring for the return of "Tank Controls". The pre-RE4 Resident Evils were good games DESPITE their god-awful controls, not because of them. :b

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ripelivejam

Yeah i really care about the shirt. Wheres the shirt?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I genuinely curious as to why everyone points at the Gamecube REmake as a "Faithful Recreation" -- didn't Capcom change several aspects about the game (the addition of defensive items, the changing of room lay-outs, enemy and item placement, etc.)?

Granted, it seems like the REmake was a more mature and refined version of the game, and it seems like the changes were for the better.

Also, I am absolutely perplexed at the people clamouring for the return of "Tank Controls". The pre-RE4 Resident Evils were good games DESPITE their god-awful controls, not because of them. :b

It was a 'faithful recreation' in that it introduced new mechanics, remixed item placements, remixed puzzles, added new jump scares, expanded the mansion, and ect. while still keeping to the philosophy & design of the original. It's different enough to stand on its own while still featuring enough nods and similarities for anyone to tell that it's also a remake.

Also, RE4 had tank controls... It's crazy to me how so many people have seemingly never realised this. They're also not god awful either, they absolutely work within the confines of the games. Tank controls specifically fit camera angles because directional, analogue control means that you're constantly having to switch your movements around when you enter a new angle. Running up could have you inadvertently running backwards for example, like in the original DMC.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

There's a few videos of me easily outmaneuvering enemies while still playing with tank controls.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billyok said:

Remember when Capcom made new games? I vaguely do.

So do I... There's also Deep Down, Dragon's Dogma Online, and Street Fighter V in development as well. Plus, if the RE2 remake will receive as much new stuff as the original remake, then they absolutely aremaking a new game with this. It's why Jeff's stupid reaction to Capcom remastering the original remake is so... stupid, because it clearly illustrates that he doesn't know just how much of its own game the remake is.

Valhallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it weird that I just want this to be RE4 controls and a better lick of paint for the graphics?

I know they'll do something weird though :/

Kiryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. I like the DLC missions for RE5 than RE5 itself.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Are people mad about this like they were mad about FF7 ramake?

TheTrekkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So glad this is getting a remake, nearly beat the game back in 2007 but disc 2 had an un-repairable gash in that made impossible to progress. Sometimes the laser would read it, sometimes it wouldn't. I also cheated with an Action Replay to get the shotgun w/unlimted ammo which fucked up my saves.

Avatar image for dude_dudenstein
    Dude_Dudenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm personally excited for this as I've never actually played RE2

cammers1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 2 did not include this "Groundbreaking Zapping System" you speak of. That was Resident Evil 0. RE2 only switched characters when story called for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.