Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 4

Game » consists of 39 releases. Released Jan 11, 2005

Special agent Leon S. Kennedy travels to rural Spain to rescue the U.S. President's kidnapped daughter in Resident Evil's sixth canonical installment. It is notable for a lengthy development cycle which involved a complete overhaul of the series' established gameplay mechanics.

Do people consider this game scary?

• 86 results
    supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By supermonkey122

I played it last night, in the dark, and I didn't even flinch once. I know RE5 and 6 are pure action, but I thought this game was supposed to actually be scary/creepy like 1, 2 , and 3 are. It's still a great game though.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

not so much scary, but more tense. mobs of enemies in RE4 are more intimidating than they are horrifying, and it makes dealing with them a lot more intense than i ever thought that fighting zombies were in the previous games.

although fuck the Regenerator. fuck that thing.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Yadilie

Probably only the same people who think Dead Space 1 is scary. RE4 is the beginning of the action only Resident Evil. The start of the plague.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@AjayRaz said:

not so much scary, but more tense. mobs of enemies in RE4 are more intimidating than they are horrifying, and it makes dealing with them a lot more tense than i ever thought that fighting zombies were in the previous games.

Pretty much. RE4 is tense, not scary and the atmosphere is dense and fantastic in that game.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Christoffer

I think RE4 was considered to be one of the first pure action RE games. It was quite groundbreaking in that regard but... scary, no. Maybe disturbing at some times.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By nightriff

No, tense and suspenseful, I wouldn't say RE 1, 2, 3 are scary either. Only game that actually got to me some what was REmake

Molenator85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Molenator85

Overall definitely not a scary game, but the Regenerator in the jail section combined with that writhing blob in the dumpster freaked a 14 year old me out.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cloudenvy

As others have mentioned, I think it's more tense than scary. Trying to control a whole crowd of zombies could really stress me out late in the game.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Liquidus

Not scary like the old RE games but definitely tense and has fantastic atmosphere, something I'm afraid can't quite be said for RE5 and to an even lesser degree about RE6.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Yadilie said:

Probably only the same people who think Dead Space 1 is scary. RE4 is the beginning of the action only Resident Evil. The start of the plague.

Dead Space is the greatest Survival Horror this generation. That game was fucking brilliant late at night with surround sound headphones cranked up. Way scarier than RE4

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I find video games to be way scarier than movies. Never once even flinched or felt fear in any horror movie I've seen (except for jump scares), but fuck me if I can play RE4 alone in the dark.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sissylion

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Dead Space is the greatest Survival Horror this generation. That game was fucking brilliant late at night with surround sound headphones cranked up. Way scarier than RE4

Dog, not even taking into account how wrong you are about Dead Space being scary, it's not a survival horror game. At all. It's an action game.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By colourful_hippie

@HaltIamReptar said:

I find video games to be way scarier than movies. Never once even flinched or felt fear in any horror movie I've seen (except for jump scares), but fuck me if I can play RE4 alone in the dark.

I wouldn't consider RE 4 scary but I agree. You're gonna be the dude who has to walk down that empty hallway.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Dog, not even taking into account how wrong you are about Dead Space being scary, it's not a survival horror game. At all. It's an action game.

Wrong? Their were plenty of times I had to get past areas with little to no ammo. Many times I ran past enemys instead of fighting them. I played for the only use a Plasma Cutter achievement on hardest difficulty though.So don't tell me Dead Space isn't scary or a Survival Horror game lol.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By EpicSteve

No videogame is scary, stop.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By senrat

It was tense throughout and scary a few times for me. I had to pause and relax myself the first few times i fought those regenerator monsters.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Quarters

Not only do I think it's not scary, but I don't think it's even as tense as RE5 and RE6 are. The whole game just feels kinda "meh" when it comes to that stuff. Its crap pacing hurts it in that regard.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Nubster

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Wrong? Their were plenty of times I had to get past areas with little to no ammo. Many times I ran past enemys instead of fighting them. I played for the only use a Plasma Cutter achievement on hardest difficulty though.So don't tell me Dead Space isn't scary or a Survival Horror game lol.

I never had any ammo problems, and I only used the Plasma Cutter as well. It was the most predictable "horror" game ever made. There was an empty hallway with grates, and when you walked by, and enemy would pop out. Occasionally a tentacle would drag you down a hallway. Sometimes Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star would play in blood-soaked rooms. The Plasma Cutter could kill anything in two hits (one in the leg to cripple, one to take the head off and kill, with normal enemies). With all of the Gold and Ruby Conductors laying around, you were rolling in money and could always afford the best armour, and the mobs were so easy to take down and had such poor tactics that each encounter was just fun, silly action. The "scariest" part of that game was the fucking turret sequence, and it was only scary because it was fucking poorly implemented and hard to control.

Dead Space was an amazing action game, but the horror aspect fell flat.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Liquidus

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I platinumed that game. Dead Space is NOT a survival horror game, it's an action game. I never once was low on ammo in that game and more than enough health items, there is no inventory management or conservation of resources to consider. It's a great game and with some good atmosphere, but it most certainly is not a survival horror game.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By zaccheus

@Liquidus said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I platinumed that game. Dead Space is NOT a survival horror game, it's an action game. I never once was low on ammo in that game and more than enough health items, there is no inventory management or conservation of resources to consider. It's a great game and with some good atmosphere, but it most certainly is not a survival horror game.

I was going to write that, but instead I just want to support the fact that @Bourbon_Warrior: doesn't know what survival horror means.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, RE4 isn't scary, but it's a great game. Resident Evil 1 (Gamecube version) I found very scary however...scarier than any movie I've ever seen, though I generally don't get scared by movies.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Zaccheus said:

@Liquidus said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I was going to write that, but instead I just want to support the fact that @Bourbon_Warrior: doesn't know what survival horror means.

Still the greatest Horror game this console generation, nothing even comes close.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#23  Edited By pyromagnestir

Nope.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By Icemael

The only parts I found scary were the ones with the Novistadors and that's just because they triggered my entomophobia. Resident Evil 4 is a beloved game but not because it's scary.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Sooty

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Have fun playing Dead Space as an 'action' game on Impossible or Zealot.

@Liquidus said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I never once was low on ammo in that game and more than enough health items, there is no inventory management or conservation of resources to consider. It's a great game and with some good atmosphere, but it most certainly is not a survival horror game.

Truly spoken like someone who played it on easy or normal. If you want more of a survival aspect on Dead Space you play it on the hardest difficulty, I thought this was common knowledge.

The first game was definitely stingy with ammo when playing on Hard, let's not even get into the clusterfuck that is Impossible. They are only typical action games if you don't ramp up the difficulty. Survivalist on Dead Space 2 doesn't count.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sissylion

@Sooty: "The game is way harder if you make it way harder" is not a legitimate defense.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DeF

@supermonkey122 said:

I played it last night, in the dark, and I didn't even flinch once. I know RE5 and 6 are pure action, but I thought this game was supposed to actually be scary/creepy like 1, 2 , and 3 are. It's still a great game though.

Welcome to a discussion the world has had 7 years ago. The game isn't scary, it's not trying to be. It's an action game with creepy moments and a tense atmosphere.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fredchuckdave

When Dr Salazar walks up on you from behind and instant kills you it certainly has a special feeling attached to it.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@sissylion said:

@Sooty: "The game is way harder if you make it way harder" is not a legitimate defense.

Uh yes it is. You want a survival horror game set it as the hardest dificulty if this is what you want out of these games. If you want a easy playthough go though on normal like your self, with all your ammo and stasis.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Going back the atmosphere doesn't hit as hard as it did when the game launched, but hell it's still pretty tense.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sissylion

@Bourbon_Warrior: Survival horror as a concept only works if it removes all control from the player. Making levels of difficulty exist for a horror game breaks it, unless it's something like Silent Hill's puzzle difficulty setting.

No console game made after 2005 will ever be truly scary. You can't make money while also alienating the player.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@sissylion: Oh well you missed a great horror experience. I enjoyed it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sissylion: Thank God you're in this thread I've been sitting here trying to think how to explain that Dead Space is not a Survival Horror game and how upping the difficulty is not a solution but you're doing that for me.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By WightnNerdy

There are some scary parts (like the Iron Maidens), but no, it's not very scary overall.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MiniPato

It was a very tension filled game when playing it your first time. Though the verdugo enemy and the mutant thing that chases you underground still has me on the edge of my seat no matter how many times I play it, unless I have infinite ammo weapons. Being chased is always tense in videogames for me, like even in Mirror's Edge with the pursuit cops.

Other than that, it's not particularly scary in atmosphere or mood or story. But being surrounded and overwhelmed by enemies and shooting at one guy when there could be a mad chainsaw man behind you is very tense and pretty scary in the heat of things.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sissylion

@Bourbon_Warrior: I played through the first act or so. It was a decent game to be sure, and it had a nice atmosphere, it just wasn't anything particularly special.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@sissylion Oh so you didn't even play it, well that gives your opinion on it some legs...

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By stonyman65

I was a little freaked out within the first 10 minutes or so when I first played it because I didn't know what to expect. After the first village (with the bell tower and the chainsaw dude) I was okay, but everything up until then was pretty crazy because I couldn't see anything with the fog and was still getting used to the controls. Keep in mind this is on day 01 of release without having seen or read anything about the game beforehand. I was literally going in blind.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I think the only time I got a jum scare was when I would break a pot and not see the snake lunge at me until the last second. Mostly it was tense and some of the enemies were creepy.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Liquidus

@Sooty said:

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Liquidus said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I never once was low on ammo in that game and more than enough health items, there is no inventory management or conservation of resources to consider. It's a great game and with some good atmosphere, but it most certainly is not a survival horror game.

Truly spoken like someone who played it on easy or normal. If you want more of a survival aspect on Dead Space you play it on the hardest difficulty, I thought this was common knowledge.

The first game was definitely stingy with ammo when playing on Hard, let's not even get into the clusterfuck that is Impossible. They are only typical action games if you don't ramp up the difficulty. Survivalist on Dead Space 2 doesn't count.

Did you miss the part where I said I platinumed that game? And if you're talking about first time play through, I always play on normal because I see that as the developer's intended difficulty for a first time experience. Dead Space is an action game. It does not fit the genre conventions for a survival horror game, it has atmosphere and apparently many people found it scary(I didn't at all) but that doesn't automatically qualify it as a survival horror game.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Liquidus said:

@Sooty said:

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Liquidus said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Did you miss the part where I said I platinumed that game? And if you're talking about first time play through, I always play on normal because I see that as the developer's intended difficulty for a first time experience. Dead Space is an action game. It does not fit the genre conventions for a survival horror game, it has atmosphere and apparently many people found it scary(I didn't at all) but that doesn't automatically qualify it as a survival horror game.

So did you must of used the Stasis cheats or you are really fucking good at games because MANY checkpoints I had a few shots of ammo and pretty much had to run past enemys to get back to the subway. I just can't believe you played the hardest dificulty as a action game unless you used the Ammo and Stasis cheats.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Solh0und

I didn't consider the game scary at all. Even when I first played it in 2005.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WADDUP DAWG 

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By MildMolasses

I've never understood why a lot of people can't separate the terms survival horror and horror. I don't see how RE 4 and 5 and Dead Space games aren't just considered horror games. Movie have multiple styles of horror, so why are a lot of gamers so attached to this survival idea? None of the Saw movies, or Final Destination films are actually scary, but they are all horror films. Horror is just a theme, not a gameplay concept

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Liquidus

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Liquidus said:

@Sooty said:

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Liquidus said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@sissylion said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

So did you must of used the Stasis cheats or you are really fucking good at games because MANY checkpoints I had a few shots of ammo and pretty much had to run past enemys to get back to the subway. I just can't believe you played the hardest dificulty as a action game unless you used the Ammo and Stasis cheats.

The plasma cutter is the best weapon in that game. Fully upgrade that first and foremost, don't bother with any other upgrades except for maybe stasis/health(it's been a while since I played that game). Anyways, the plasma cutter is a tool for every situation in that game plus ammo is plentiful for it and once it's fully upgraded, the other weapons don't have much purpose beyond occasionally doing what the plasma cutter can't. I never found Dead Space on Impossible particularly hard, just have to be a bit careful since you die quicker. It's a great game and talking about it now, is actually kinda making wanna go back and play it again but it doesn't fit the genre conventions for survival horror. It's definitely horror but there's not much of a survival aspect to it. I also find it incredibly difficulty to get scared when I'm running around in a suit of armor and wielding badass laser weapons.

The Resident Evil remake on GC is a perfect example of a truly scary survival horror game, at least to me.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Liquidus: But is bad camera angles the only thing that makes horror, survival horror?

And you don't need to tell me I got the 1000\1000 on Dead Space as well, but in noway did I have plentiful ammo as you did.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By guiseppe

There was only one part in that whole game that really scared med. Stupid spanish abandoned prisons.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By abendlaender

I'm a coward but RE4 did never scare me (okay, the one moment when a burning guys bursts out of an oven (or whatever it was)). It was tense though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By Justin258

Not even going to bother with the whole "Is Dead Space survival" thing. You've gotta be careful with your resources.

On the topic of "is RE4 scary", generally no. However, there's an enemy late in the game who can't be killed except in certain weak points only noticeable with a certain weapon and attachment. You know it's there because it makes this really odd noise that I can't really describe. It's not Pyramid Head-levels of legendarily scary, but the creature in question is particularly unsettling. You'll know it when you hear it.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

There were some moments that were freaky, like being in the castle with the chanting mobs, but no, not scary. That game had a bleak tone that made you feel uneasy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.