Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 4

Game » consists of 39 releases. Released Jan 11, 2005

Special agent Leon S. Kennedy travels to rural Spain to rescue the U.S. President's kidnapped daughter in Resident Evil's sixth canonical installment. It is notable for a lengthy development cycle which involved a complete overhaul of the series' established gameplay mechanics.

THE fan made RE4 remaster is coming 2nd Feb

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Possibly one of the greatest and most in depth fan remastering's of a game has a release date for its 1.0 version.

No Caption Provided

I've had my eyes glued to this project for about 7 years which is roughly around the time when they committed to start making it, though the modders were working on updating textures for the original PC version before then.
    What triggered its development was when Capcom put out the Ultimate HD edition on PC which is a totally fine and good version of the game, but it was still missing features from the original Gamecube version and contained bugs introduced in most of the ports since it came out on PS2.

What kept me watching progress on the mod was just how much of a professional job these guys were doing, the early updates for the project were mostly texture improvements, including amazing twitter posts where they'd travel the world to find the original sources for some of the textures in the game, but quickly the skill and ambition of the team grew and grew to the point where they were recreating 3D assets, reintroducing missing features from the Gamecube, improving the lighting, effects, water, menus, basically everything, and with the help of professional coders and tech savvy members of the community they've done a hell of a lot more.

No Caption Provided

All the menus are redone, all the text is high res, all the characters updated, even the pre-rendered cutscenes in Ada's Separate Ways campaign have been either upscaled and touched up or in some cases re-rendered completely, which is... something i can't even comprehend, but they've done it.
    A lot of work has been done on the backend to allow for these updates and there's far too many improvements to list, ultra widescreen aspect ratios, FOV options, the QTE's were broken making them too hard, that's fixed, DOF from the Gamecube, fixed v-sync, fixed windowed mode, more keybinds for mouse and keyboard users it goes oooon and oooon.

Here's a link to their final screenshot comparison gallery so you can see for yourself.

From top to bottom, for me, this is one of the best remasters ever, it's so tastefully done that you might not even notice the updates at first glance without comparing unless you've played a lot of RE4, it's so easy for fan texture packs to change how a game looks which is why i've never really used them, but they've stayed so faithful to the original here that i'm dying to explore all the changes for myself.

Of course Capcom are fully remaking the game, which to be honest i'm less excited about considering RE4 is one of the few games to receive perfect scores when it came out, i think trying to top it is a fools errand but i am very interested to see how it differs from the RE2 and 3 remakes, which were based on horror games not one of the worlds best action games.

Usually i end my posts with something funny or profound, but i just wanted to share this project because i'm so excited about it, please check out the history of the project on their website it's so impressive.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Onemanarmyy

ooh exciting. I too have waited for more than 5 years. Bought RE4 somewhere in 2014 or something but didn't boot it up because i wanted to wait for this release before my playthrough. Clearly i didn't anticipate it being finished in 2022, but i already went without RE4 for so long, so why not wait a bit longer ^_^

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: I actually did the same haha, i've stayed away from playing it again since 2015, i'm itching.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d17e8766caf
    deactivated-63d17e8766caf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sounds cool. So how long till the inevitable cease and desist? Will the finished product get released before Capcom steps in? They can't have a free remaster existing when they're supposedly working on a remake.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cikame

@fugitivej: That's always a worry though i haven't seen anyone go after modders as much as Nintendo and Rockstar, when a fan fixed the netcode for Street Fighter 5 Capcom didn't C&D it they patched the game so it wouldn't work instead :P.

Earlier in the mods development they were actually contacted by Capcom about potentially becoming official though it never went further than a conversation, but it means they've been aware of the mod all this time.
    Capcom also might still be in a little bit of a legal battle regarding stolen texture work used in the original release, so they're a little busy :P.

Besides, whenever these things get taken down they have a tendency to still be available, it would be a bummer though.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Any idea what the size of this thing is going to be? If these are high res uncompressed textures then I probably expect this to be like more than twice the size of the actual game.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I feel like there's a difference between the modders that still require you to purchase the game before you can get to all the texture-swapping business and the modding projects that offer a certain game for free (AM2R comes to mind).

Like Jeff often mentioned that Square always used to be very anti-internet / piracy, but Final Fantasy modding has been alive and well for decades and you even have modders profit off of their work for that franchise.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cikame

@bicycleham: I don't think the textures are insanely high res, they modified the game to allow for larger files but i assume they're still limited by the engine somewhat.
    One interesting thing they did is change how the file system works, originally every map file had duplicates of all the game's assets in them, but now it only needs one of each which at one point meant the remastered file size was actually smaller than the base game, i doubt that's true now though but it saved a lot.

Edit: Looked into it a bit more, the last version of the mod they released in 2018 was 19gb, the base game on Steam is 11.6gb, so i guess after 3 more years of additions it'll be in the low 30's after the duplicated assets are removed.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cikame

There probably won't be any updates until the mod releases but i just came across this graphics comparison someone put together, i said it before but it's amazing how faithful they've been.

Loading Video...

I'm not sure what version of the mod this guy is running, if it's the currently released 3 year old build then this video is missing a lot of changes, but it's still great to see.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Small update, one week left until release and they've put together a trailer.

Loading Video...
    Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Very excited :)

I will say though, that previous video you posted does such a better job of making us understand how much work they've done to the game. Watching the final trailer on it's own still gives you the idea that it's fairly impressive, but it's still hard to remember what the original looked like, while sitting here in 2022.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: Coincidentally i've seen that comparison video posted alongside this trailer elsewhere so you're not alone :P

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
    AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, I missed seeing this thread, but I composed a blog about this project last week and am planning to post it when the final release is live. Got a few tidbits from emailing Albert Marin, too (one of the modders, pictured in opening post). I guess it may be a little redundant now, but hopefully someone will still enjoy it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This seems nice but I’m more interested in the Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition mod cuz RE4 is already getting a remake and SH2 hasn’t been re-released to hell.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Or for that matter Silent Hill 1 and Silent Hill 3 (They can stop there.. we don't need to waste valuable resources on The Room)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.