Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 4

Game » consists of 39 releases. Released Jan 11, 2005

Special agent Leon S. Kennedy travels to rural Spain to rescue the U.S. President's kidnapped daughter in Resident Evil's sixth canonical installment. It is notable for a lengthy development cycle which involved a complete overhaul of the series' established gameplay mechanics.

Will you re-buy and what do you hope will be included?

BloodCurse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BloodCurse

So we all know now HD versions of RE4 and CVX are coming to 360 and PS3.  For those few that haven't played them before this'll be a great oppurtunity to play what will most likely be the best versions.  But these games already have multiple releases and it's safe to say a lot of us probably own more than one version already.  I myself have RE4 for the GameCube and PS2, and find myself already debating on whether to make a third purchase.  The news just broke and I think all we know at this point is they'll be in HD and have Achievements/trophies.  I'm betting that will be all that it is, but still, there's the possibility we could see new or tweaked stuff.  So where do you guys who already own these games stand?  What will it take for you to buy again?  Hoping for new or tweaked gameplay?

CVX is a good game, got it for PS2, but I don't hold it in the same high regard the rest of the RE community seems to.  Infact, along with Zero, probably my least favorite of the core RE games.  So for me there's only RE4 to think about.   

The easiest thing to ask for is an online co-op mode for the Mercenaries.  That'd be cool, and as crazy as it sounds if they did that I'd really like split-screen.  Archaic, I know, but the few times my brother comes over we always end up either switching off RE4's mercs or split-screen on RE5's and have a blast.  So it'd be great to tackle RE4's at the same time. 

While easily one of my favorite games, it isn't perfect.  Even when it first came out the one thing that kinda bothered me was not being able to switch weapons on the fly.  It'd be cool if they allowed us to map weapons/items to the D-pad like we can in RE5.

A modern "shooter" control scheme would be nice too.  That's really being nitpicky but every time I replay RE4 I hit L1 in an effort to raise my gun only to have him whip out the knife. 

Anyways, like I said, I'm betting it'll just be what we already know.   But we can always hope.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

I'd be fine if it just controlled like RE5, I loved that game. I've only watched my roommate play most of RE4, I've never actually played it myself, but it looked rad and I'll be buying this even if it's just an up-resed Gamecube game.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't think there is a need for a "modern shooter" control scheme. The original control scheme was good.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toowalrus
    @Axxol said:
    " I don't think there is a need for a "modern shooter" control scheme. The original control scheme was good. "
    It did work fine on the gamecube controller, though I wouldn't mind if they swapped a few things around, I don't want a full-blown Gears of War control scheme, but I don't really care for shooters where the trigger is mapped to a face button either.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster
    @TooWalrus said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " I don't think there is a need for a "modern shooter" control scheme. The original control scheme was good. "
    It did work fine on the gamecube controller, though I wouldn't mind if they swapped a few things around, I don't want a full-blown Gears of War control scheme, but I don't really care for shooters where the trigger is mapped to a face button either. "
    You do have a point. 
    chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By chronicsmoke

Ill probably pick em up since Ive got the gamecube version of RE4 and the dreamcast version of CV and I dont have any of the other multiple versions of RE4 and CV out there

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Move support is really all I need. I already played through RE4 75+ times, no joke.

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By PhantomGardener

I have never tried RE4, so I will be buying it when the HD version comes out.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By BulletproofMonk
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    Move support is really all I need. I already played through RE4 75+ times, no joke.
    Have they confirmed Move support? That'd be really cool. 
    Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blueman

I'd like them to implement the weapon upgrade system from 5 into 4. I'd love to be able to play through 4 with a Magnum with unlimited ammo.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By GunstarRed

I'd buy RE4  the day of release  if it wasn't out the same day as Gears 3.  I love that game so much I can't help but get it again in HD. Code Veronica would have to be a different game though for me to buy that, Hate that game so much.
    jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By jaymorgoth

I only have the GC version of RE:4 cause I bought it the day it came out. I think if the HD version included the PS2 extras that would be enough for me to buy it again.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Gerhabio

Such a good game but I don't think I'll be getting another copy of this, I got my fill with the GameCube version.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By clubsandwich
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    same here, so I think I'll just pass. Unless it is really, really cheap, but I doubt it.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played 10 mins of the PS2 version and never went back. Really don't care for RE4 at all.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I will definitely buy it again. RE4 was my favorite game when it was first released so I will be happy even if there isn't any extras or significant changes.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 1p

I think i have played enough of RE4 already. Hope it looks good in HD though.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Cold_Wolven

It seems really odd that Code: Veronica X is paired with RE4 but I guess it gives gamers the chance to play it since it's not well known in the franchise. I wish Capcom would do to their older RE games what they did with the GCN version of RE1 and just completely redo the visuals.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BBQBram

Well since I already own the GC version and my roommate owns the Wii version I probably don't need it, right...?

Hell yeah I'm re-buying it! HD motherfuckers, glorious HD! If only to gloat! IF ONLY TO GLOAT!!

So...yeah!

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By THRICE

I probably beat RE4 20 times or more in high school (RE is my favorite series I've beat 2 way more) owned both the GC and PS2 versions and I'm gonna download it for 360. Own both consoles but I the 360 controller is closer to the Game Cube controller and that controlled a lot better than the PS2 version.  

They've already said it has all the content that was present it the Wii version is whats included. Nothing new but an HD upres and achievements/trophies. I havn't played the game in 4 years and Code Veronica X in even longer. I'm more interested in CVX because it was the dark horse of the main series I only played through it to completion twice and didn't like it very much due to its weird difficulty spikes. Now that a lot of time has been put between then and now I wanna see if my opinion changes. 

I'm kind of disappointed they are deciding to go with $20 a pop for each one. It should have been $15. Twenty bones seems a bit high for a 7-10 year old PS2 game. Prince of Persia was $15 a piece and Beyond Good and Evil was $10.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'll buy RE4 as long as it's not over $15.

SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SavageM2

I was thinking about re-buying it but am not sure. Having bought it on the Gamecube and on the Wii, I think maybe I will wait and see if they ever have a sale. Knocking it down a few bucks would be nice because I would like to have it on my Xbox.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@TooWalrus said:
    @Axxol said:
    It did work fine on the gamecube controller, though I wouldn't mind if they swapped a few things around, I don't want a full-blown Gears of War control scheme, but I don't really care for shooters where the trigger is mapped to a face button either.
    Playing Resident Evil 5 and using the trigger to shoot feels absolutely terrible in my opinion. All they really have to do is use the control scheme options in Resident Evil 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.