Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

Just Got the Game on Steam. I Really Need a Gamepad Don't I?

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FunExplosions

I finally got done installing the game, and tried playing a bit of it. I... just can't. The way Chris's hands move around all janky wherever I aim. Eughh, it makes it seems like the game's running at 15 fps even when it's benchmarking at 40-90 fps. The game seems pretty good, but the control with my mouse is just abysmal. Please, somebody a little savvy, tell me what I'm doing wrong, or do I really just need to go out and buy a gamepad? It's probably about time I get one, anyway.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By zidd

Yes you do. A 360 controller makes that game the best version out there. Even though it lacks the gold edition content. Get a wired one since the wireless adapter is crazy rare.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Zidd: What do you mean about lacking Gold Edition content?
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zidd

There were 2 downloadable episodes that came out on the 360 and PS3 versions that aren't available on the PC.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Zidd: Oh yeah. I'm not really in it for those. Just don't wanna miss out on what's probably a really good game. Could have bought it on PS3, I guess, but the Steam sale for $7.50 was too good to pass up.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By EpicSteve

USB 360 gamepad is always handy to have.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zidd
    @FunExplosions: $12.50
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Zidd: Oh. I forgot the price. Still cheap, though. Well now I have to buy a gamepad... I see your angle, Steam!
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Marz

Yah there's really nothing you can do about the mouse sway,  Capcom thought maybe it would be too easy to use a mouse for aiming so they added a little breathing sway.  I got used to it though, i'd much rather have freelook controls than the controller camera control.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By RVonE

Having a 360 gamepad for your PC is a sound investment, I think.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Olivaw

I played the entire game using a mouse and keyboard.

With some rebindings so certain quicktime events weren't fucking awful.

It was just fine!

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Olivaw: Wait, so it wasn't all jaggy and crooked when you aimed around? It feels like there's a huge load of lag or something. It responds quickly, but it's like his arms only pivot to eight different points in a circle.
    @Marz:
    Really, man? Oh god. I'm playing in hard mode, and the first long-necked chick zombie thing you fight is just a bitch with that breath-sway. Along with the other zombies stampeding at me, I feel like don't even have control.
    ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By ectoplasma

Did u try disabling Vsync? Lots of Console ports have problems when u activate Vsync. It just makes the whole game janky and you cant really tell why. Apart from that, did u measure constant 50 fps while playing or in the benchmark? When u play and u have fps drops it might cause an unsmooth experience too.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SlasherMan

You can use your PS3 gamepad on PC, too. Might need some configuration for the game, but should work fine.

Though, IMO, this game's controls don't feel right whether you play with a gamepad or KB and mouse. They should have changed the control mechanics the moment they decided to turn this into an action game.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Olivaw
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @Olivaw: Wait, so it wasn't all jaggy and crooked when you aimed around? It feels like there's a huge load of lag or something. It responds quickly, but it's like his arms only pivot to eight different points in a circle.
    @Marz: Really, man? Oh god. I'm playing in hard mode, and the first long-necked chick zombie thing you fight is just a bitch with that breath-sway. Along with the other zombies stampeding at me, I feel like don't even have control. "
    I never had that issue at all.

I don't know what is the matter with the version you are playing, but mine was pretty darn accurate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.