Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

Resident...Evil...No More

InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

Edited By InKtOiD

Now I could spend this blog ranting about how awful the movies have degraded a wonderful part of video gaming history. But I won't do that. Except to say that the fact in the new movie Wesker is shown as being infected with the Las Plagas virus, which is enough for me to never see the abomination.

This focuses on Resident Evil 4 and 5. While they share the same name, and the same story line/universe. I have never believe they should be called Resident Evil. They changed everything about the games. It was no longer a Survivor-Horror game as I have come to know them. It was a action game, and slow paced at that. Now don't get me wrong the games, well at least 4, were incredible. Resident Evil 5 was just 4 with a different character and a co-op mode. 

I've just never understood the concept of taking everything that made the game Resident Evil and tossing it aside but still labeling it as such. It should have been a brand new game, not a continuation of a story that had been over for years.

InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By InKtOiD

Now I could spend this blog ranting about how awful the movies have degraded a wonderful part of video gaming history. But I won't do that. Except to say that the fact in the new movie Wesker is shown as being infected with the Las Plagas virus, which is enough for me to never see the abomination.

This focuses on Resident Evil 4 and 5. While they share the same name, and the same story line/universe. I have never believe they should be called Resident Evil. They changed everything about the games. It was no longer a Survivor-Horror game as I have come to know them. It was a action game, and slow paced at that. Now don't get me wrong the games, well at least 4, were incredible. Resident Evil 5 was just 4 with a different character and a co-op mode. 

I've just never understood the concept of taking everything that made the game Resident Evil and tossing it aside but still labeling it as such. It should have been a brand new game, not a continuation of a story that had been over for years.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

A little late aren't you? The games overall design has been changed, but I'm sort of past that. If anything I'm more or less past Resident Evil now, too. Unless the inevitable sequels can pull me back in.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By trophyhunter
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yummylee
    @InfamousBIG:
    I don't think he means replace RE as their survival horror franchise, rather just their main zombie game franchise. To take over RE's place with their place in CAPCOM's sales. 

@trophyhunter said:

" http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/07/dead-rising-2s-keiji-inafune-and-his-desire-to-replace-the-res/

Keiji Inafune says Dead Riseing is the new Resident Evil. "

Lmao. Oh jesus. well, supposed it's for the best. There was an article I read on gamespot about them wanting their RE6 out ASAP, too. Maybe that'll be the last, or maybe that article was before this one.  

Resident Evil as a franchise has got a very short lifespan left, that much is certain.
    InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By InKtOiD

Revelations will probably be one of the last. And yes this is a little late but I just decided to bring it up since I'm taking another spin through 5 right now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull said:
    " @InfamousBIG:
    I don't think he means replace RE as their survival horror franchise, rather just their main zombie game franchise. To take over RE's place with their place in CAPCOM's sales. 

@trophyhunter said:

" http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/07/dead-rising-2s-keiji-inafune-and-his-desire-to-replace-the-res/

Lmao. Oh jesus. well, supposed it's for the best. There was an article I read on gamespot about them wanting their RE6 out ASAP, too. Maybe that'll be the last, or maybe that article was before this one.   Resident Evil as a franchise has got a very short lifespan left, that much is certain. "
    Well, all I know is that I'm certainly buying Dead Rising 2.  Never bought the first one, as I'm limited to only having a PC and PS3.  Undecided as to pre-order, though.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @InfamousBIG:

@trophyhunter said:

Lmao. Oh jesus. well, supposed it's for the best. There was an article I read on gamespot about them wanting their RE6 out ASAP, too. Maybe that'll be the last, or maybe that article was before this one.   Resident Evil as a franchise has got a very short lifespan left, that much is certain. "
    I would not call it short. I span 3 console generations
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee
    @trophyhunter:
    I didn't call the series short >=/...I said it has a short lifespan left. 

@InKtOiD said:

" Revelations will probably be one of the last.  "

I hope it won't be the last, though. If they're going to finish the series off, well damn it all give us what we want! Every single character all in one game! A Resident Evil Kart Racer - I don't care. I just won't Chris and Wesker to team up against Leon and Alfred and shoot shells at them or something X)
    InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By InKtOiD
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @InKtOiD said:
    " Revelations will probably be one of the last.  "
    I hope it won't be the last, though. If they're going to finish the series off, well damn it all give us what we want! Every single character all in one game! A Resident Evil Kart Racer - I don't care. I just won't Chris and Wesker to team up against Leon and Alfred and shoot shells at them or something X) "
    LMAO that would be epic. They have been talking about shelving the series for a number of years and then redeveloping it for another generation. Not sure if that would be a good idea. May just be better to let Resident Evil go, it had an amazing run and will go down as one of the most, if not the most, iconic Survival-Horror franchises of all time. The only franchise i think that holds a candle when it comes to span is probably Silent Hill
    InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By InKtOiD
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " @InfamousBIG:

@trophyhunter said:

Well, all I know is that I'm certainly buying Dead Rising 2.  Never bought the first one, as I'm limited to only having a PC and PS3.  Undecided as to pre-order, though. "
    Not sure if you've gotten around to Case Zero yet but it shows that Dead Rising 2 has a lot more potential then its predecessor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InKtOiD said:
    " @InfamousBIG said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " @InfamousBIG:

@trophyhunter said:

Well, all I know is that I'm certainly buying Dead Rising 2.  Never bought the first one, as I'm limited to only having a PC and PS3.  Undecided as to pre-order, though. "
    Not sure if you've gotten around to Case Zero yet but it shows that Dead Rising 2 has a lot more potential then its predecessor. "
    Would love to, but as mentioned, don't have a 360.  I want to DR2 for pc, as it is $20 cheaper, but cautious that it's not just a shitty console port.
    InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InKtOiD
    @InfamousBIG: Probably would be safer to just go with the console version. Hate to get the PC version and it has all kinds of issues or just turns out to be much worse then the console adaptations.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By napalm

I'm pretty sure there's not much juice left in the Resident Evil mythology. I mean, in 5, Wesker is dead and everybody seemingly involved with Umbrella/TriCell is dead.

I had a great idea of them rebooting the original three or four games with 4's camera and movement/shooting mechanics and 5's amazing graphics engine.

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 33

#15  Edited By KillerFly

The Resident Evil games before 4 did not age well.  I have no problem with them changing the series as much as they want if it leads to good games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Resident Evil 0 and RE 1 Gamecube remake are still decent. Though RE5 was just terrible. I felt like I was playing a shitty Gears of War clone with a story that is way shittier then the movie series.

InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By InKtOiD
    @bartok: 
    Did you actually just say the movies have a good story line? For the love of god tell me that was a joke.
    The movies consist of taking bits and pieces of the Resident Evil mythology and throwing them together into a horrid abomination. They ruined the Resident Evil story line. Not to mention the movies were wrought with over acting and lame ass action sequences.

Here's an idea Mr. Anderson. When you make a movie based solely on a franchise that helped mainstream a genre of gaming. DON'T PISS ALL OVER IT YA SONOFABITCH! 

How did that conversation go down?
    Well Mr. Anderson what are we doing with the fourth film.
    Ok, I want to introduce Wesker, and make him infected and cool as hell. But THEN I want to introduce the Majini and Las Plagas and make Wesker become a Majini just like it happened in the Resident Evil 5. OH WAIT Wesker never got infected with Las Plagas. He got infected by Uroboros ya bastard.

What else? Now this is sole speculation on my part but I'd but a nut it's true. Alice is a Wesker child. Call me crazy about that shit but....do they ever tell you Alices last name in the films? Maybe it's Wesker. Maybe it's not and they piss on that project too.

Now that you got me going let's take a trip down memory lane to Resident Evil: Extinction? I don't recall anyone in the game having telepathic Jedi-esque powers do you? Or maybe the fact that tyrants don't have tentacles...Nemesis did. And where were his? No where after you turned him into a 7 foot tall douchebag who is mutated as fuck but has a conscience.

In closing, you may have your opinions as to how the movies were, and I have mine and that's why we love forums. But don't try to insult my knowledge and respect for a franchise as impressive as Resident Evil by saying the movie(s) did them any sort of justice.
    Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By Stealthmaster86
    @Napalm said:
    "  I had a great idea of them rebooting the original three or four games with 4's camera and movement/shooting mechanics and 5's amazing graphics engine. "
    I've been wanting them to do that for years. 
    D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By D0tti

I read somewhere that they, someone at Capcom, were talking about rebooting the RE series when the new RE comes out. This could be bullshit off course, but just saying what I read :P.

Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Skullo

Revelations will apparently have move and shoot controls. Which is nice. BUT YOU COULD'VE DONE THAT FOR RE4!

Would've made that twin garradors fight tolerable. (I'm not even past it, but thinking about it pisses me off. It is beyond my skill set.)

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Jill and chris are from old resident evil games, so if you don't call it that, it's going to be strange. Even leon is from resident evil 2.  

Yes the gameplay has changed, I suppose they are thinking the forumula was getting stale and they wanted to go in a new direction. I want them to go back to their original direction again.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By vidiot

I always thought the tone was the same throughout, although the last half of RE5 seemed to go someplace else. Like the first half of the series was a defensive game, and the latter half was an offensive game. Personally, from a perspective standpoint I think it makes sense. 

That being said: I don't want to see a Resident Evil 6. Or, I would rather see something else in the same universe but not with the same characters. Maybe Leon? I don't know, but Wesker is very...very...dead and I felt Resident Evil 5's ending nicely finished off the main story arch. Regardless, it's going to be interesting what form the supposed next title will be.

InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By InKtOiD
    @Skullo:@HitmanAgent47:@D0tti: 
    Just decided to address everyone at once. It'll be Resident Evil: Revelations, only weird thing is that it is exclusive to the 3DS due out sometime next year. They actually have been talking about putting Resident Evil on the shelf for the next 4-7 years until the next gen comes out and then re-imagining the series for another generation to enjoy.

Personally I think Capcom needs to do this with more then just the Resident Evil Franchise. While I love Silent Hill, it has ran it's course and now is just becoming stagnant, the same repetitive crap over and over again. Shelf it until you think up an idea that will actually take it back to the way Silent Hill 2 was, where it actually had some scare value. Resident Evil 5 was alright, besides being a carbon based co-op copy of Resident Evil 4...except that they're trying to make it more like an action game, that still suffers from terrible basic control mechanics.

Or here is another crazy idea. Shelf both of the games, and create a new Super Game called Silent Evil. Where you're based in the mansion but instead of zombies, just horrid shit comes out of everywhere to rape your life, and there is always fog, regardless of what is happening or where you are. So by the time the game ends you don't know what happened, but from the sounds, you could tell it was terrible.
    SuperBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SuperBuster

I think a lot of people are viewing this from the point of view of a long-time fan but there are many fans of Resident Evil who just recently got on board with Resident Evil 4 (like me) and for these type of fans it would absolutely suck if Resident Evil ended so soon. If Capcom had stuck to trying to appease their hardcore fans then the Resident Evil franchise would been stuck as a niche title and only the hardcore fans would ever play it. While this might make hardcore RE fans happy it would make everyone else sad, Capcom would be missing out on a lot of money and millions of gamers would be missing out on a great experience. The fact that a hardcore RE fan has been playing RE games longer than me doesn't make that fan more important than me, our money is still worth the same amount.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Resident Evil 5 was a terrible game and an insult the franchise. Best thing we can hope for to come from the trash that the game was, is a complete reboot back to the horror roots.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.