Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

Screw racist, this game IS sexist! (Sheva's Costumes)

• 148 results
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cheapoz

These 2 costumes are hideous. A few gold pieces of cloth which apparently are some kind of dress, and a bikini with war paint? Friggin ridiculous.

I'm all for fun (like Elika's over the top outfit), but these are horridly sexist and realllllly degrading. And I don't typically get worked up about this.

Why did they take such a cute character model, and make her look so cheap. Ugh. Default costume forever, thanks.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

Um, because the majority of people that will play this game are male? And female gamers should be intelligent enough not to care?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

Maybe you're sexist.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By TheHBK

Ummm, because a japanese company made this game and any woman in it has to be sexy and wear slinky clothes.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Sex sells, but who's buying?

Oh yeah, EVERYONE IN THE WORLD.
    twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By twenty0ne

Because it's a game. Who cares?

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shazam

Have you ever heard of Stiletto feminism? It's a branch off mainstream "MEN ARE PIGS!" feminism. Basically, a woman can dress as sexily or as slutty (as some would call it) as she wants. It's her prerogative. Being appreciated by men doesn't make you any less of a person and dressing in a bikini certainly doesn't. Just once men don't see you for only a pair of jugs in a bikini. Sheva dresses quite provocatively I'll admit but she is also killing zombies left right and center. That sister, is doing it for herself.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Check out  DOA4 if you think this is "sexist"...

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

It's wrong to depict female beauty? Exploiting women would be to have female characters only appear in wet t-shirt contests. Why is it that a game can have jacked-up men with sharp blue eyes, that are practically right out of a highschool girl's locker, and not be called sexist; yet the second the slightest bit of a woman's cleavage is shown, people start crying sexist?

If the girls are portrayed as intelligent, loyal, and brave, why is it so offensive for them to be beautiful? I get it if you're talking about Ivy in SCIV, 'cus that is just creepy, but the whole angry feminist movement only exchanges the "blonde-bimbo" stereotype for the butch Home Depo lesbian type. Is that what you really want? I doubt it.

People need to grow up.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Hamz
    atheistium said:
    "Geno said:
    "Um, because the majority of people that will play this game are male? And female gamers should be intelligent enough not to care? "
    I'm female and I like Sheva's tribal outfit.

I think you're forgetting how steroid filled Chris's arms are. So technically this game is 'sexiest' to men as well. Have you forgotten Excella too? It's a VIDEO GAME. It's a little fun!

I love her gold outfit, it reminds me of Austin Powers :-) Very funny. At the end of the day they are optional costumes and the main costume Sheva has is very respectable. I see no problem with the other 2, I think you are just over reacting.

You might as well complain about a certain other characters Battle Suit in mercenaries as well!
    "
    You know I have to kind of agree here. How many games do we see where the male protagonist is buffed beyond belief and yet no one says a thing about that. What about Dante in Devil May Cry, his sixpack is on show the entire time but again no one complains.

God forbid teenage boys see a little bit of the fine female form in a video game.
    destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By destro

No

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By mracoon

I think that those costumes are optional so it's not that big of a deal. When you finished RE4 you unlocked a more 'revealing' costume for Ashley which I disliked because I just hated Ashley in general.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Milkman

Wow...of all the fucking things to get angry about. ARE YOU STUPID?! Wait, let me answer that for you. Yes, yes you are.

There is a game where girls in bikinis fight zombies, there is a beach volleyball game based in the Dead or Alive universe, there is an all-female wrestling game that has a "TAKE PICTURES OF THESE SMEXY GIRLS" mode, there is a game called fucking RAPELAY! And you're mad because Sheva wears a bikini in Resident Evil 5?! I hope someone beats you up.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo

You'll make a fine politician, TC.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cheapoz

Ha, thought this would stir some trouble.

Like I said, I'm not usually the type to get upset about this sort of thing. But these 2 costumes take ridiculous pretty close to the extreme. One scantily clad outfit, I could understand, but both? Really?!

And don't give me crap about "go play DOA" or whatever. Those games are intentionally that way. I don't play semi-serious/semi-bananans shooter games to get my DOA-style fill. Take that crap somewhere else.

Ashley might've had some revealing costume, but she had a suit of armour as well. There's ways to have fun without being completely demeaning.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Milkman
    Cheapoz said:
    "Ha, thought this would stir some trouble.

Like I said, I'm not usually the type to get upset about this sort of thing. But these 2 costumes take ridiculous pretty close to the extreme. One scantily clad outfit, I could understand, but both? Really?!

And don't give me crap about "go play DOA" or whatever. Those games are intentionally that way. I don't play semi-serious/semi-bananans shooter games to get my DOA-style fill. Take that crap somewhere else.

Ashley might've had some revealing costume, but she had a suit of armour as well. There's ways to have fun without being completely demeaning.
    "
    And Resident Evil 4 is purposely this way also. This is how Japan rolls. If you haven't noticed that yet, you aren't paying attention.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By Geno

Dude, it's not freaking demeaning. Have you ever been to a beach? Seen a fashion show on TV? There are clothes like that which normal women put on voluntarily.

Also I have to put this out there, usually the first person to say something is sexist/racist is sexist/racist themselves, because they noticed the difference before anyone else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wanting to see ladies naked isn't sexist. It's human nature.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Shadow

I am offended.  The skimpy costumes in Resident Evil give a bad name to the Japanese video game industry
    I am offended. The skimpy costumes in Resident Evil give a bad name to the Japanese video game industry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LuckyWanderDude said:
    "I agree that the portrayal of women in most games is sexist. Guys like to justfiy it by saying it's natural but the fact is, there is a huge difference between something sexy and something sexist. Girls don't walk around dressed like sluts in the real world (most) and to justify such a decision in games by saying "cuz most gamers are males," makes me sick to be a male."
    You have a loose grasp of what sexism is, then. Making a fake lady with big boobs is not the same as "You are a woman, so I am immediately better than you."
    jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jNerd
    Geno said:
    "Um, because the majority of people that will play this game are male? And female gamers should be intelligent enough not to care? "
    BOOM! Summed that up real quick....
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead

Have you seen how buff Chris Redfield is? Not to mention how tight that t-shirt is on him. It seems like it's equal on both sides of the fence here. Also, if making a woman look slutty and overly sexualised is sexist, why isn't making guys incredibly handsome and overly athletic sexist too?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who the fuck does something like this degrade? The character? Yeah, maybe, but that's if you consider them a real person with feelings.

A women who feels "degraded" by something a video game character is wearing is someone who is begging for an excuse to be sensationalistic.

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiggerBomb
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    "License_To_Bill said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    "I agree that the portrayal of women in most games is sexist. Guys like to justfiy it by saying it's natural but the fact is, there is a huge difference between something sexy and something sexist. Girls don't walk around dressed like sluts in the real world (most) and to justify such a decision in games by saying "cuz most gamers are males," makes me sick to be a male."
    You have a loose grasp of what sexism is, then. Making a fake lady with big boobs is not the same as "You are a woman, so I am immediately better than you.""
    If a woman doesn't like the depiction and feels degraded by it (sometimes it's a bit iffy but often it is overboard) that is the definition of sexist. My definition is a bit looser than most guys, I do agree."

So if anyone is offended by anything, the depiction is sexist/racist/whathaveyou?
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    "Dude, I don't mean if anyone is offended. You're lying to yourself if you think real human beings walk around dressed as slutty as most girls in games (particularly Japanese games) are."

Where on Earth do you live?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Put yourself in a woman's shoes. Figuratively and literally. 'Cause it's sexy.

If you see a muscly, shirtless man in a videogame, do you feel like he is an embarrassment to men everywhere? Do you feel like you have been directly insulted?

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    License_To_Bill said:
    "Put yourself in a woman's shoes. Figuratively and literally. 'Cause it's sexy.If you see a muscly, shirtless man in a videogame, do you feel like he is an embarrassment to men everywhere? Do you feel like you have been directly insulted?"
    I feel like unrealistic expectations have been set and that people are being taught to value the wrong things. In a lot of ways, that's worse than a direct insult because it's a much more subtle but harmful thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BiggerBomb said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    "Dude, I don't mean if anyone is offended. You're lying to yourself if you think real human beings walk around dressed as slutty as most girls in games (particularly Japanese games) are."

Where on Earth do you live?"
    He lives in the politically correct land not of this world.
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By TheHBK
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    "License_To_Bill said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    You have a loose grasp of what sexism is, then. Making a fake lady with big boobs is not the same as "You are a woman, so I am immediately better than you.""
    If a woman doesn't like the depiction and feels degraded by it (sometimes it's a bit iffy but often it is overboard) that is the definition of sexist. My definition is a bit looser than most guys, I do agree."

I agree, you guys are pretty narrow minded if you think it is about people being offended by seeing a woman in a bikini or that it says something about men being superior.  It has a broader scope as to the fact the the way women are depicted determines if it is sexist.  The fact that lots of Japanese game companies will put out games where the only women are super toned and have huge boobs and are wearing bikinis or school girl shirts that are tied to their waist or have a jumpsuit where somehow their breast still have to show, it just makes us as males gamers look bad because it tells others that thats what we want to see.
    Also, the fact that these women are presented this way can be compared to how models are presented as having super small waists and huge boobs, an unrealistic depiction of what a woman in real life looks like and makes a statement about what a hero looks like, this case, sheva.  It is not about whether one has an objection to seeing the bikini, but the purpose of it.  Seriously, why is this in the game?  Different costumes are cool and all but make it make sense, not just have a horny japanese guy say, lets put her in a bikini fighting zombies.
    Also, I agree that the depiction of chris just makes me think his taking some HGH or steroids, he sure didn't look like this in Code Veronica.
    And shadow above posted a good example, why is anything like that, in Resident Evil?
    deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deadmonkeys
    Cheapoz said:
    I'm all for fun (like Elika's over the top outfit), but these are horridly sexist and realllllly degrading. And I don't typically get worked up about this.

Why did they take such a cute character model, and make her look so cheap. Ugh. Default costume forever, thanks.

Cheapoz
    said:

"

Are you upset because of general sexism in games or because of this specific outfit?

You seem to not care about sexism in DOA, so it can't possibly be general sexism.
    You're ok with Ashley having revealing costumes, as long as she had a non-revealing costume as well (which sheva also has and you are apparently using).

So what's the problem here?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LuckyWanderDude said:
    "License_To_Bill said:
    "Put yourself in a woman's shoes. Figuratively and literally. 'Cause it's sexy.If you see a muscly, shirtless man in a videogame, do you feel like he is an embarrassment to men everywhere? Do you feel like you have been directly insulted?"
    I feel like unrealistic expectations have been set and that people are being taught to value the wrong things. In a lot of ways, that's worse than a direct insult because it's a much more subtle but harmful thing."
    Yes. You're right. After I finished Gears, I ate entire carton of ice cream while dabbing at my falling tears with a razor.

I stopped playing SFIV because my noose kept getting closer to completion.

People who think they need to live up to some kind of social standard need to be wrangled and used to hot dog meat, anyway.

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheGreatGuero

...can you supply us with photographic evidence of this sexism in RE5?

;)

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By RHCPfan24

Sexist? Resident Evil? A game made by Capcom? A company located in Japan?

Nonsense. As some have already pointed out, there are already games like the DOA series, Ochenumbra, RAPELAY and more of those, including Ninja Gaiden I and II. This game is very tame when compared to the others, honestly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LuckyWanderDude said:
    "License_To_Bill said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    "License_To_Bill said:
    I feel like unrealistic expectations have been set and that people are being taught to value the wrong things. In a lot of ways, that's worse than a direct insult because it's a much more subtle but harmful thing."
    Yes. You're right. After I finished Gears, I ate entire carton of ice cream while dabbing at my falling tears with a razor. I stopped playing SFIV because my noose kept getting closer to completion.People who think they need to live up to some kind of social standard need to be wrangled and used to hot dog meat, anyway. "
    Just because you don't feel that pressure doesn't mean that many girls don't feel a pressure to be "sexy" so they can get a good job. You're the one who should be wrangled because you're probably mostly made of meat anyway and you like to ignore actual things by only addressing how it affects you."
    Insulting a man you know nothing about with false assumptions is not the way to make your point, sir.
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aurelito

They wanted her to look like old comic super heroines, I believe, and a little JAPANESE word reinflated in your mind will cause you to stop paying attention to a sexy characteristic.

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cheapoz
    DeadMonkeys said:
    "Cheapoz said:

Cheapoz
    said:

"
    Are you upset because of general sexism in games or because of this specific outfit? You seem to not care about sexism in DOA, so it can't possibly be general sexism.You're ok with Ashley having revealing costumes, as long as she had a non-revealing costume as well (which sheva also has and you are apparently using). So what's the problem here?"
    My problem is this:

DOA is so crazy, that labeling it sexist is pointless. Everyone knows its purpose, its audience, and they can have it. I wouldn't go near it personally, but it has an audience.

RE5 is not so crazy. Okay so Elika's outfit is pretty out there, granted. But of the only 2 unlockable costumes you can get, they're both degrading. It makes me wonder how the development team showed such restraint with her default outfit.

If one of those 2 were there I wouldn't care, they could've had her dress up like a chicken, or anything else as a second one. But since the only other options to dress her up are these scantily clad ones, I would consider this sexist.

So I'm saying if a game is going to be overtly pointed in that direction, whatever. But it seems so out of place in this game (weird I know, for a game that is the height of crazyness), that I think its in bad taste.

---

Also, anyone justifying this by saying OH CHRIS IS SO BUFFED SO WHATEVER, it's not like you can unlock a pair of Short Shorts for him to run around in, is it.

---

ALSO, anyone using threats/demeaning/insulting language in this thread, or any other on GB, could you please turn off your computer, or go to another forum. I'm so sick of trying to have a serious discussion on the net and still reading comments like "I hope you get beat up" or "go and die". Seriously!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LuckyWanderDude said:
    " You assume that anyone who feels the need to fit a social standard of appearance is stupid. We all have different experiences. don't be a hypocrite."
    I didn't call them stupid.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Binman88
    Cheapoz said:
    "DeadMonkeys said:
    "Cheapoz said:

Cheapoz
    said:

"
    Are you upset because of general sexism in games or because of this specific outfit? You seem to not care about sexism in DOA, so it can't possibly be general sexism.You're ok with Ashley having revealing costumes, as long as she had a non-revealing costume as well (which sheva also has and you are apparently using). So what's the problem here?"

Also, anyone justifying this by saying OH CHRIS IS SO BUFFED SO WHATEVER, it's not like you can unlock a pair of Short Shorts for him to run around in, is it.

But if you could, who would seriously give a fuck?
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LuckyWanderDude said:
    "License_To_Bill said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    " You assume that anyone who feels the need to fit a social standard of appearance is stupid. We all have different experiences. don't be a hypocrite."
    I didn't call them stupid. "
    You said they should be wrung into hot dog meat, my mistake."
    That's the one. Socially inept, not stupid.
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.