Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

Does the performance increase on current consoles make this a lot better?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

I'm asking 'cause PSN has the PS3 version for $5 on flash sale and it's gonna end soon. I think this is my Duke Nukem Forever and I've always had the need to see through RE6 for myself at some point, no matter what. If anyone knows, please let me know.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm in the minority, but I liked RE6. While I wouldn't say it changes the experience enough to make you change your view of the game for better or worse (at least, I doubt it would unless only marginally), the game is definitely better on current-gen consoles simply due to resolution and frame rate; otherwise, it's the same game. In your case, if you hadn't played it yet, I would just wait for a sale on PS4 or Xbox One. Not that it's really relevant, but I think I've more or less had my fill for now with the recent RE games. I enjoy them a lot, but I bought RE6 on PS4 and didn't entirely finish it. On the Xbox 360 where I originally played it, I played through all the characters several times. I got RE5 on the Xbox One and only played an hour of it. I have recently been curious if I should get RE4 on PS4 or Xbox One. Having it on GameCube, PS2, Wii, and the Xbox 360 (where I was also hesitant to get it), that's more than enough times to have experienced it a great deal.

That's not even taking into consideration the multiple times I've gone through at least one of those versions, so I'm not sure it's worth purchasing again despite being one of my favorite games still. I will also say, the co-op modes for both RE5 and RE6 are botched on current-gen. It's the PS3 version of RE5 all over again. If you want to play split-screen couch co-op with a friend or sibling, you're out of luck if you also want to use your own items carried over from your singular experience with it, and one of you won't get any trophies/achievements if that's at all important. I'm not sure if RE6 on PS3 also has this issue, but that's why my brother and I bought RE6 on the Xbox 360. Unfortunately, this happened with RE6 on PS4, so we bought RE5 on Xbox One, and it was an issue there. Okay, rant over.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll say this much, at least: Five bucks is worth it just for Mercenaries mode. RE6 has serious issues (I don't hate it, it's just weak), but that first Mercenaries map? Unghhh... it's REALLY good.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@ntm: lol you again helping me w/ my old game problems. Yeah...I can probably wait for a sale on the PS4, wouldn't play it for awhile anyway. I beat Freedom Fighters btw. Really liked it. Could've used some mission variety but just a blast to play.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

For what it's worth, I believe they moved the camera slightly further back in these re-releases so you can actually see more of what's happening around your character instead of getting constantly ambushed. I mean, no amount of camera tweaks will fix that game's aggressively terrible set-pieces or unrelenting insta-death garbage, but for $5 I think RE6 is at least worth taking a look at. It's a pretty good poster child for everything that was wrong with big-budget AAA games in 2012, and it has just enough interesting ideas with its recoil-heavy weapons, numerous combat maneuvers and stamina management that you might actually have fun with the game in spite of itself. Well, assuming you figure out the mechanics which the game itself does an absolute piss-poor job of explaining. Use the quick shot (press both triggers) generously.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@arbitrarywater: No, they updated the last-gen versions with a camera fix, and they brought it over into the current-gen versions. It's not new to current-gen versions. The only difference you're getting between versions, other than the co-op issue is frame rate and resolution differences. Oh, and you get all the DLC on the current-gen versions too. I never really understood people's issue with the way the game plays; it always seemed like they just didn't understand it. I was always okay with it. Perhaps something they did add to the current-gen versions as well though is the ability to make the QTE's incredibly easy, which was an issue many had with the original versions. I think they do an okay job of teaching you how to play it well, but there is one thing that they neglect to mention at all, which is that you can wiggle both sticks at the same time to get through those QTE moments faster.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I played it on PC, with the highest and stablest of framerates and resolutions.

It's still at best a heavily flawed but sometimes fun despite itself game. Worth a fiver? Yeah. But not much more than that.

Boss_Kowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

@ntm: Many people played Resident Evil 6 at launch, weeks before Capcom got around to patching the more egregious gameplay problems. The limited field of view, the lack of proper tutorials (most gameplay tips were hidden in half-second loading screens or glossed over completely), and the very, very short input window for the quick-time events made for a poor-to-play Resident Evil game.

But for me, its worst issues are not easily patched. I don't think any of the characters are well written, enemies don't react to your bullets as they did in prior Resident Evils, the skill point system doesn't encourage you to experiment, and boy, do those boss fights never seem to end.

It kills me to say all that, too, because Leon's campaign begins so strong. It's atmospheric, we're killing zombies again, and Leon's picked up some new gunslinger moves. But things start taking a nosedive once players arrive at the church.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@ntm said:

@arbitrarywater: No, they updated the last-gen versions with a camera fix, and they brought it over into the current-gen versions. It's not new to current-gen versions. The only difference you're getting between versions, other than the co-op issue is frame rate and resolution differences.

That's nice to hear, though it's not like all the added DLC actually means much unless you really want to play Agent Hunt, or whatever.

I will say though, as someone who played through the first two chapters of Leon's campaign over the holiday break cooperatively, I stand by my statement that the game never bothers to explain its mechanics in any sort of concrete detail. You're told how to use everything once, in that sluggish, awful tutorial sequence but never really told why or in what context something like the dodge roll or the quick shot is useful. It took me a little bit to remember all of that stuff, and once I did I started having a much better time with the game, though it still wasn't enough to convince my brother-in-law to go any further.

It's probably worth mentioning that I actually kinda like and enjoy Resident Evil 6 as this bombastic miscalculation of a game that at least swings for the fences when its counterparts settle for grueling mediocrity, but I've never been in the camp willing to defend it on the basis of being legitimately good. Honestly, The Mercenaries might be the best part of that entire thing because it cuts out all of the scripted insta-death bullshit and focuses on the shooting, which is actually pretty fun once you get the hang of it.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol good lord no.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it on PC, with the highest and stablest of framerates and resolutions.

It's still at best a heavily flawed but sometimes fun despite itself game. Worth a fiver? Yeah. But not much more than that.

Yea... Played it on PC as well, and the increased graphical fidelity didn't save the experience. It's a mostly disappointing entry in the series, but it merits $5, especially if you're determined to play it anyway.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: I agree, the DLC doesn't matter that much, but I wanted to mention it simply because it is in the package compared to you having to buy it on last-gen.

@boss_kowbel: I know, I didn't personally take issue with the game and played it on launch is what I was saying. My biggest issue with it is just that it's kind of a bad excuse story-wise for another zombie outbreak. They don't really give a good reason as to why six had to exist. I'm not sure if I agree that the enemies don't react, it's just that it's not as big a thing. In RE4 and five, you'd strategically shoot the legs or head, and maybe even arm for the enemies to drop weapons, while in six, you just had to shoot them without thinking much about it. Character wise, I wasn't that into Jake or Helena as I thought they were just kind of boring, but I enjoyed seeing the old characters and thought it was well-written and well voiced, especially compared to past Resident Evil games. I mean, you won't have as interesting characters as you do in four for sure, but there wasn't a lot there that made me want to cringe in six in terms of dialogue. There were only a few moments of that. Everything else you mention, like bosses, I don't really see them as overly long, and weapon experimentation, I'm not sure I ever felt the need for that. I just wanted to upgrade the weapons I had so they're more useful, that's all, which has been the case since four.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.