Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

First impressions on the Resident Evil 6 Demo

Lugburz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By Lugburz

OK, so having played the PS3 demo a little while ago, i would say my first impressions are biased toward accepting the reality of the game. To make myself more clearer, before playing the demo i had the impression that this RE game is going to be an abomination and should be not touched. In fact, I'm still on my high alerts, as this is just the demo. To be precise, I've been stricken awe by a demo before that felt so good to be true, and that is Dragon's Dogma's. That demo gave me the impression of a game of my dreams, an open-world fantasy where you have your own companions and battle fantastical creatures with satisfying combat. Well, it turned out that was just the "tricky" first bite, that will eventually become redundant over successive bites.

Let's just go back to RE6, the demo really had me going and fueled my hunger. First of all, the sheer amount of setting you can adjust to your liking is amazing, it is like the developers said: "you whined about the controls in RE5 and whatnot you sons of b?%$#, here, you have plenty of options available and you can customize the color of the dot sight too!". The second thing that gripped my attention was the superb in-game animation, honestly I've never seen anything like it yet, the fluidity of the movements is incredible. Not to mention the top-notch graphics are also one of the best I've seen so far.

Let's first talk about the Leon campaign; you start off in some kind of presidential campus. The atmosphere is very tight and gripping, the lighting and shadows are awesome compared to the tight controls of your character. While saying that, well, surprise! surprise! you can move now...and move a lot!. No more sticking to your spot and shoot, you can do it freely, like most shooters do. Also, you can change your weapons and equipment without the need to enter that lofty "weapon management" screen anymore, who needs that anyway,right?. At this point i just accepted the fact that this a RE game and its not going to change, so i started to stretch my mind a little bit and pretend that this is not a RE game, so i can enjoy it.

No Caption Provided

OK, so continuing with the Leon campaign, which have the best atmosphere i think amongst the other ones, plus dark corridors, tension, zombies! the only thing that is distracting are the quick time events and those pointless "wait for partner to open the door with you" moments.

Second Campaign, Chris's. Skipping the cliched intro cut-scene. We are straight into action. You are accompanied by other members of BSAA (if you still remember what this is) and together you start blazing your way upstairs to the roofs of some building, gunning and "melee-ing" zombies, which surprisingly (or not) are now wielding guns, taking covers, and..what?...wearing masks?! Hold on a second, i'm fine with zombies wielding rifles, issuing commands, and being organized, but wearing wearing masks?...that is just absurd.

So, you manage to lead your way up the roofs and down again, beating "mindless" zombies and discover that your melee attacks are more powerful and efficient than your gun blazing, yeah, you aren't afraid of those brain-eaters anymore that you punch them straight in the face and perform an executing a KO move with fearless efficiency.

Onward to the last campaign available, the Jake campaign. This campaign is different than the other ones, it starts in daylight unlike the previous ones. featuring faster characters. Here you will experience one of the worst camera angles in the demo. The game gave you "hints" about the bad camera at hand, which will serve a bad remainder in this campaign, specifically when facing the mutant boss.

Overall, being a huge deviance from its previous RE installments (without a doubt), establishing a more action bombastic set-pieces and fluidity in control. The game does retain (at some points) some of that classic creepy Resident Evil atmosphere better than the sunny atmosphere of RE5. In fact, the game plays and feel much better than RE5 in so many ways.

The graphics and color depth are so vivid that anyone else will mistake it for a movie. The characters clothes and hair are just gorgeous.

No Caption Provided

Some elements of the game that disappointingly screams "action" that purposefully creates an atmosphere of "bumping adrenaline" instead of fear and tension, which the original RE titles captured. Having a "buddy" alongside and fighting helicopters and machine guns isn't horrific, if you ill-mouthed the latest RE movies, you will hate this certainly. Fans already experienced the same action-oriented gameplay in the last title, so basically you won't feel much changed in the style.

All in all, this is just the demo, i don't know if the full game will bring cries or laughs.

Lugburz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Lugburz

OK, so having played the PS3 demo a little while ago, i would say my first impressions are biased toward accepting the reality of the game. To make myself more clearer, before playing the demo i had the impression that this RE game is going to be an abomination and should be not touched. In fact, I'm still on my high alerts, as this is just the demo. To be precise, I've been stricken awe by a demo before that felt so good to be true, and that is Dragon's Dogma's. That demo gave me the impression of a game of my dreams, an open-world fantasy where you have your own companions and battle fantastical creatures with satisfying combat. Well, it turned out that was just the "tricky" first bite, that will eventually become redundant over successive bites.

Let's just go back to RE6, the demo really had me going and fueled my hunger. First of all, the sheer amount of setting you can adjust to your liking is amazing, it is like the developers said: "you whined about the controls in RE5 and whatnot you sons of b?%$#, here, you have plenty of options available and you can customize the color of the dot sight too!". The second thing that gripped my attention was the superb in-game animation, honestly I've never seen anything like it yet, the fluidity of the movements is incredible. Not to mention the top-notch graphics are also one of the best I've seen so far.

Let's first talk about the Leon campaign; you start off in some kind of presidential campus. The atmosphere is very tight and gripping, the lighting and shadows are awesome compared to the tight controls of your character. While saying that, well, surprise! surprise! you can move now...and move a lot!. No more sticking to your spot and shoot, you can do it freely, like most shooters do. Also, you can change your weapons and equipment without the need to enter that lofty "weapon management" screen anymore, who needs that anyway,right?. At this point i just accepted the fact that this a RE game and its not going to change, so i started to stretch my mind a little bit and pretend that this is not a RE game, so i can enjoy it.

No Caption Provided

OK, so continuing with the Leon campaign, which have the best atmosphere i think amongst the other ones, plus dark corridors, tension, zombies! the only thing that is distracting are the quick time events and those pointless "wait for partner to open the door with you" moments.

Second Campaign, Chris's. Skipping the cliched intro cut-scene. We are straight into action. You are accompanied by other members of BSAA (if you still remember what this is) and together you start blazing your way upstairs to the roofs of some building, gunning and "melee-ing" zombies, which surprisingly (or not) are now wielding guns, taking covers, and..what?...wearing masks?! Hold on a second, i'm fine with zombies wielding rifles, issuing commands, and being organized, but wearing wearing masks?...that is just absurd.

So, you manage to lead your way up the roofs and down again, beating "mindless" zombies and discover that your melee attacks are more powerful and efficient than your gun blazing, yeah, you aren't afraid of those brain-eaters anymore that you punch them straight in the face and perform an executing a KO move with fearless efficiency.

Onward to the last campaign available, the Jake campaign. This campaign is different than the other ones, it starts in daylight unlike the previous ones. featuring faster characters. Here you will experience one of the worst camera angles in the demo. The game gave you "hints" about the bad camera at hand, which will serve a bad remainder in this campaign, specifically when facing the mutant boss.

Overall, being a huge deviance from its previous RE installments (without a doubt), establishing a more action bombastic set-pieces and fluidity in control. The game does retain (at some points) some of that classic creepy Resident Evil atmosphere better than the sunny atmosphere of RE5. In fact, the game plays and feel much better than RE5 in so many ways.

The graphics and color depth are so vivid that anyone else will mistake it for a movie. The characters clothes and hair are just gorgeous.

No Caption Provided

Some elements of the game that disappointingly screams "action" that purposefully creates an atmosphere of "bumping adrenaline" instead of fear and tension, which the original RE titles captured. Having a "buddy" alongside and fighting helicopters and machine guns isn't horrific, if you ill-mouthed the latest RE movies, you will hate this certainly. Fans already experienced the same action-oriented gameplay in the last title, so basically you won't feel much changed in the style.

All in all, this is just the demo, i don't know if the full game will bring cries or laughs.

davo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By davo

I wanted to switch the demo off after a few minutes, but I stuck with it. I prefer Leon's campaign, and that just makes me realise I prefer my Resident Evil games to be set at a more moody pace. As soon as Resident Evil 6 becomes action-oriented, I want to switch it off and play something which can provide that pace of action at a much higher quality. The FOV has to be the worst thing about Resident Evil 6 for me. Your character seems to take up more camera than in any other from the franchise, and it makes for a terrible experience.

Avatar image for absoluthysteria
    AbsolutHysteria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By AbsolutHysteria

@davo: Completely agree, i mean it no longer makes the game scary, they gave up on that. They should think about what makes better action for the player

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By vikingdeath1

the two Blatantly terrible things from the demo that I noticed were that Awful camera (I got SO frustrated by it I almost shut it off) and a laughably terrible cover system.

Hopefully when my copy arrives tomorrow I can subvert these gameplay hiccups by just playing on Easy and try to have fun with it!

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By awesomeusername

@Lugburz: I'm pretty sure the things Chris fights aren't zombies. Just infected people like RE5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.