Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

Resident Evil 6, and you.

• 51 results
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Edited By bonbolapti
    No Caption Provided

I've played Resident Evil 6 a lot. Hell, I'm still playing it. I went co-op with a friend of mine, and am now going through it, single player, on my own account. Why?so I can unlock mercenaries stages.

I've read a lot of complaints, concerns, knee-jerks about this game, and I may be able to agree with some of it, but being the fanaticalResident Evil fan that I am, I find solace in it's clunky shooter-y ways.

This is no different than Resident Evil 5 in terms of how it controls. Save for little tweaks like movement, and the ability to slide into an enemy, shoot him in the face with a shotgun then repeatedly punch the fuck out of him. If you happened to enjoy the 5th game at least, there's nothing to really hate about this... Well maybe some things, I guess? how picky are you?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

What do you want out of resident evil?Survival Horror? sure! But are you going to give me the argument that Resident Evil has always been about Survival Horror? Yesss and no. That's where it got it's start, But you can't expect a franchise to be the same thing over and over and over again can you? Do you want that? Where would we be right now if Resident Evil was the same thing for the 21 games in the franchise?

It's managed to evolve. But it's evolved thanks to the characters that we all know and love. You can't expect Leon S. Kennedy to get out of Racoon City alive and NOT be prepared for any more of that shit, should it ever happen again. There are traces of it's Survival horror element here and there, but you have to realize that the game is a thriller now. A group of individuals with bioweapon combat training who know how to stop these situations, and yeah, guns are pretty effective.

If they decided to go back to their roots, they would have to reinvent everything, change the characters, change the universe. change all that was established, but when that happens, are you going to care? Newcomers to the series, maybe.

They have to make the most out of the fact that people love these characters, and try their best to make a game to please long time fans while still trying to make the game that they want to make. When you're this many games into the franchise, it is going to be hard to find that common ground. especially when it seems so many people want a game from that bygone era, but would also hate playing that dated gameplay. We want to have change that doesn't ruin our ideal of what we think something should be.

I'm trying not to speak in theoreticals and for everybody, But this is more of an analysis then trying to soapbox my way out of a jaded community.

I thought it was humorous.

Why I like these games is BECAUSE I'm invested into the story, the characters. It gets contrived, unfair, boisterous. But it's interesting. At this point if I've played these games since the beginning, I'm not playing them to be scared, I'm playing them to be taken for a ride. Capcom knows this, that's why 6 is more of a thrill ride then another spooky mansion. You even get three different ways to play the game. As close to traditional as you're going to get, a Gears of War shooter (but remember that time Gears of War took inspiration from Resident Evil 4? FULL CIRCLE.), and whatever experiment they tried with Jake and Sherry (A Nemesis like monster, a moment of open world on a mountain, snow mobiles and motorcycles, Stealth!)

It's always going to have a place in my heart, no matter what they do to the franchise. I am for all-intents-and-purposes, a fan. I will play these games over and over again, I waste hours in mercenaries mode, I play those on rails moments without complaints.

It is clunky, it has cheap deaths, camera issues, but nit-picking is not going to destroy my overall experience. A game like this is not going to be perfect and it never was. If you want my recommendation, I say yes! If you're a fan of the series, yes! If you're straight up curious fucking go for it.

Capcom has been getting a lot of flack over the internet's dumb shit for a while now. Resident Evil 6 is a testament of how much they like making their games. What they don't understand is how the internet works the way it does. They developed a system for unlocking things, while everyone seems to think it's DLC. It's also hard to capture a Broader Western audience with what they think they need to do. Shooters are boring, but they're effective. And there's nothing in 6 that 5 doesn't have that 4 doesn't have. One can only hope that if you do have your criticism, that it's constructive and not hateful.

I wanted to at least say something, much like everybody else. When a game like this gets bad reviews, it makes me want to play to find out why. Now that I've played the game for myself I can't see the fuss, and I've managed to find an enjoyable experience. (But I'm obviously looking for something different out of this game.)

I'm going to stop typing now, but before I do, I want to go out on a limb and say, that I think Resident Evil 6 is a game for the fans. That may be an iffy opinion but the way I see it, You either are, or just don't call yourself one.

(subtle joke)
    (subtle joke)
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By bonbolapti
    No Caption Provided

I've played Resident Evil 6 a lot. Hell, I'm still playing it. I went co-op with a friend of mine, and am now going through it, single player, on my own account. Why?so I can unlock mercenaries stages.

I've read a lot of complaints, concerns, knee-jerks about this game, and I may be able to agree with some of it, but being the fanaticalResident Evil fan that I am, I find solace in it's clunky shooter-y ways.

This is no different than Resident Evil 5 in terms of how it controls. Save for little tweaks like movement, and the ability to slide into an enemy, shoot him in the face with a shotgun then repeatedly punch the fuck out of him. If you happened to enjoy the 5th game at least, there's nothing to really hate about this... Well maybe some things, I guess? how picky are you?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

What do you want out of resident evil?Survival Horror? sure! But are you going to give me the argument that Resident Evil has always been about Survival Horror? Yesss and no. That's where it got it's start, But you can't expect a franchise to be the same thing over and over and over again can you? Do you want that? Where would we be right now if Resident Evil was the same thing for the 21 games in the franchise?

It's managed to evolve. But it's evolved thanks to the characters that we all know and love. You can't expect Leon S. Kennedy to get out of Racoon City alive and NOT be prepared for any more of that shit, should it ever happen again. There are traces of it's Survival horror element here and there, but you have to realize that the game is a thriller now. A group of individuals with bioweapon combat training who know how to stop these situations, and yeah, guns are pretty effective.

If they decided to go back to their roots, they would have to reinvent everything, change the characters, change the universe. change all that was established, but when that happens, are you going to care? Newcomers to the series, maybe.

They have to make the most out of the fact that people love these characters, and try their best to make a game to please long time fans while still trying to make the game that they want to make. When you're this many games into the franchise, it is going to be hard to find that common ground. especially when it seems so many people want a game from that bygone era, but would also hate playing that dated gameplay. We want to have change that doesn't ruin our ideal of what we think something should be.

I'm trying not to speak in theoreticals and for everybody, But this is more of an analysis then trying to soapbox my way out of a jaded community.

Why I like these games is BECAUSE I'm invested into the story, the characters. It gets contrived, unfair, boisterous. But it's interesting. At this point if I've played these games since the beginning, I'm not playing them to be scared, I'm playing them to be taken for a ride. Capcom knows this, that's why 6 is more of a thrill ride then another spooky mansion. You even get three different ways to play the game. As close to traditional as you're going to get, a Gears of War shooter (but remember that time Gears of War took inspiration from Resident Evil 4? FULL CIRCLE.), and whatever experiment they tried with Jake and Sherry (A Nemesis like monster, a moment of open world on a mountain, snow mobiles and motorcycles, Stealth!)

It's always going to have a place in my heart, no matter what they do to the franchise. I am for all-intents-and-purposes, a fan. I will play these games over and over again, I waste hours in mercenaries mode, I play those on rails moments without complaints.

It is clunky, it has cheap deaths, camera issues, but nit-picking is not going to destroy my overall experience. A game like this is not going to be perfect and it never was. If you want my recommendation, I say yes! If you're a fan of the series, yes! If you're straight up curious fucking go for it.

Capcom has been getting a lot of flack over the internet's dumb shit for a while now. Resident Evil 6 is a testament of how much they like making their games. What they don't understand is how the internet works the way it does. They developed a system for unlocking things, while everyone seems to think it's DLC. It's also hard to capture a Broader Western audience with what they think they need to do. Shooters are boring, but they're effective. And there's nothing in 6 that 5 doesn't have that 4 doesn't have. One can only hope that if you do have your criticism, that it's constructive and not hateful.

I wanted to at least say something, much like everybody else. When a game like this gets bad reviews, it makes me want to play to find out why. Now that I've played the game for myself I can't see the fuss, and I've managed to find an enjoyable experience. (But I'm obviously looking for something different out of this game.)

I'm going to stop typing now, but before I do, I want to go out on a limb and say, that I think Resident Evil 6 is a game for the fans. That may be an iffy opinion but the way I see it, You either are, or just don't call yourself one.

(subtle joke)
    (subtle joke)
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

@bonbolapti: You've pretty much encapsulated my feelings on the series direction. I came to terms with the fact that it wasn't a horror franchise anymore after Code Veronica. Like you said I really don't see the differences between RE4 and RE6 outside of a more complex control scheme. RE4 was very much an action game that threw ammo at you and really urged you to shoot dudes left and right. You never did that before in a Resident Evil game you always ran.. you always saved your shotgun rounds and Magnums for the bosses. Resident Evil 4 changed all of that. If anything I'm glad they decided to just full on embrace the action side of things instead of keep taking half steps to it.

Even the QTE complaints are pretty ridiculous there were just as many QTE's in RE4 and RE5 as there are in RE6. I can understand if you just flat out never liked that Resident Evil used them but if you liked 4 or 5 and complain about them in 6 I'm just left scratching my head. Anyways, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm really digging mercs mode myself! I hope to 150 combo all of the levels soon. =)

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By renmckormack

ooof that Navarro tweet cut me deep bro...too deep. RE6 is fine.

Capcom and the world decided to throw the old RE out the window with 4. Now we all have to reap that whirlwind, so I am making the best of it. As a game its fine. there's some dumb/corny RE dialog which is what i come for, and what the series is actually loved for (I honestly don't get people arguing that old RE was like a high-wire game of suspense, i was there for the puzzles and the stilted ass poorly translated dialog), and once you get a hang of the new controls its a fun game, better than 5.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By apathylad

I haven't played it, but I feel like I should get around to it eventually. Every game needs to have at least one polarizing game, I suppose.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By musubi

@RenMcKormack: HOPE THIS IS NOT CHRIS' BLOOD.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I find it a little interesting that you, a fan of RE6 have nothing specific and positive to say about it. The blog reads that RE has chanced and you are cool with that and enjoy the game form what it has become. Saying it's not RE4 changed it all first, and this is not much different and is merely taking that direction to it's natural conclusion. It sounds like a defense instead of praise. That is because people who have issue with the game dislike it not because of what it in not but because it is a poor imitation of what it attempts to be.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bonbolapti

@Demoskinos: I can combo like hell in the 3DS version of mercs, but I'm slowly learning how to be effective in this one. The thing I liked the most about 5 that I wish they did again, was the sharing of the limited inventory space. You still have a bit of that in 6, but.. you can pretty much carry all the guns now. Not that that's a bad thing hahaha.

@RenMcKormack: I've always loved the RE puzzles. There were a bunch in this one that were genuinely fun and interesting.

@Apathylad: If you play it on the PS3, I'll be happy to co-op with you when I can. Also, a lot of people would argue that 5 is the polarizing one, but I guess 6 raised that bar.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

Jesus.

OK, first off, no of course Resident Evil couldn't have stayed the exact same forever (also it's unfair to count every single RE game ever instead of just sticking to the main tree). But what the series did from RE4 onwards wasn't evolve; what it did was completely alter close to everything about the series. It became less about exploration, conserving ammo, reading memos for clues, and instead of purposely trying to avoid unnecessary combat to conserve ammo, you're incentivised to actually start the fights so you can collect gold or even more ammo. Resident Evil began as an action/adventure series, but with RE4 the balance was broken in favour of more action. Sure, adventures elements were still there, sort of, and you had to manage an inventory ect (which I think is the best style of inventory the series has featured btw), but again the style of combat was turned completely upside down.

There are other franchises that have gone this (or close to it) long and still primarily function like they have from the beginning. MGS is still a stealth game, Halo is still an FPS. They are what really stand as evolutions within their appointed genre.

And yes, I'm sure they could contrive a way for even series veterans to still come under pressure in a new Resident Evil game. Or they could if they didn't turn them all into boulder-bashing, ninjitsu super heroes. And an RE character's experience has literally nothing to do with how the games are designed; Helena Harper, who hasn't gone through any B.O.W. outbreaks previously, is just as capable as renowned franchise badass Leon S. Kennedy. Going back to a more horror-orientated style also wouldn't mean they'd have to change everything, they'd just need to raise the stakes; make the enemies even more fearsome and even tougher to kill. And what would be so bad about adding in some characters but still keeping within the same universe?

Those RE 3.5 videos still look sublime, and that looks like it could have made for the perfect match of old and new.

As for Resident Evil 6... Man, I can't even. RE6 isn't just like RE5. I even just today played some mercenary matches of RE6, then following with matches in RE5, and the differences are very noticeable. RE5 is a significantly slower shooter; I always still feel like I am in complete control. The Majini are appropriately stilted somewhat as well; the game presents scenarios for you to figure out, shooting in keys areas to then follow through with melee attacks and so forth. RE6 on the other hand is more of a twitch shooter; everything is much faster and more frantic, and the controls aren't nearly as tight in RE6 as they are in RE5/RE4. Even after all of my experience, I still sometimes accidentally have my character duck instead of do a dive backwards.

You honestly come across more as a fanboy than anything else; you stick by the series regardless of what they do to it. As long as it has Resident Evil on the box then Hell Yeah!!! It's true, I've also continued to follow the franchise despite the fact that it only continued to divert further and further away of why I enjoyed the series to begin with, but it was primarily as a.... 'scholar', for lack of a better term. I wanted to follow this series because I was at least invested in the stories, the characters -- I wanted to still be in the loop because of the history I have with Resident Evil. And with RE4 and RE5, I at least got some fun action games. However, with RE6 they not only completely fucked up what could have been such an incredibly fan-service-laden story, not only is Resident Evil of course even more of a balls-out action game that makes RE5 appear grounded by comparison, but they didn't even make a good action at that and instead I'm left with a terribly mediocre mess of rubbish set-pieces and enough QTE's to put a God of War game to shame.

CAPCOM have royally fucked up with this one, and the list of any and all redeeming factors across the franchise keeps getting thinner and thinner.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bonbolapti

@ImmortalSaiyan: It is a defence and I'm glad you noticed. I'm not praising it because I'm enjoying it for what it is, I call myself a fan but I'm not rubbing it in your face. I may be wrong on why people dislike the game, but where what I notice is that it's a dislike for the series that's a little too late to the party, or things that have been in the past two games that maybe they only seem to notice now.

Plus, 'poor imitation of what it attempts to be', felt more like 'falls short of what it's expected to be'.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hell, Resident Evil didn't make it five years before they started trying new genres (the light gun shooters). I don't care what genre the game is in, I just want it to be good. I'm excited for that Silent Hill action RPG Diablo clone thing they're making, because maybe it'll be a good action RPG Diablo clone thing. Resident Evil 6 fails as an action game, unlike 4 and 5.

Also, Resident Evil has rarely if ever had actual puzzles. They mostly just have weird things you have to collect from the other side of the Goddamn map. Having to go find two jewels and knowing I have to stick them into the eyes of that Goddamn deer skull is not a puzzle, it's just a task.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By musubi

@bonbolapti: Yep. Quick-shot is really your friend in this game. When I first played the demo i had no idea why anyone would want to use that but it is a invaluable tool in mercs especially when the dogs come. You can instantly take out the dogs in the Urban Chaos level with a quick shot. You can also save a lot of ammo if your willing to gamble when you face the bloodshots they will ALWAYS leap at you and if your good at counters you can easily take them out with a counter+ stomp.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yummylee

@Brodehouse said:

Hell, Resident Evil didn't make it five years before they started trying new genres (the light gun shooters). I don't care what genre the game is in, I just want it to be good. I'm excited for that Silent Hill action RPG Diablo clone thing they're making, because maybe it'll be a good action RPG Diablo clone thing. Resident Evil 6 fails as an action game, unlike 4 and 5.

Also, Resident Evil has rarely if ever had actual puzzles. They mostly just have weird things you have to collect from the other side of the Goddamn map. Having to go find two jewels and knowing I have to stick them into the eyes of that Goddamn deer skull is not a puzzle, it's just a task.

Resident Evil has always had actual puzzles--they're usually rudimentary and basic but they're still in there and serve their purpose; block puzzles, slider puzzles, combinations ect.--and as for collecting stuff to place it elsewhere, well, again I have to question why you even bothered with this series in the first place since you apparently disliked so much of its design.

The whole Goddamn point of collecting Goddamn stuff and having to take it elsewhere was of course a contrivance to force you to explore, and backtrack, as your supplies dwindle forcing you to try and figure out new tactics to get to where you need to go. The Mansion in the original Resident Evil in particular had multiple routes as well--some of which you'd eventually unlock of course--that could take you there, so you often had to think about which course was worth braving dependant on your current status.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By RAMBO604

@Yummylee: Out of curiosity whats your take on Dead Space? In particular the first game. Dead Space 1 was the best Resident Evil game in years as far as I am concerned. It is exactly what Resident Evil should have evolved into and it beat RE5 to market by five months allowing it to fill my head with all these grand visions for RE and fuel my disappointment with that game.

It was horror but was still a modern shooter, you still had the inventory management but it wasn't a burden, the memos and video logs fleshed out the story but were always ancillary to it, the isolation of you alone with only a few moments of interaction with other survivors here and there, and it was genuinely tense. That is the exact formula Capcom needed to copy for Resident Evil to evolve into the modern day while retaining its soul.

It checked every box for a modern update to the classic Resident Evil except it was in space. If only that team wasn't part of EA, Capcom would have the perfect western studio to go to for a DMC style reboot of the series. Which is absolutely the only thing they can do at this point. Capcom can't see the forest for the trees, they're so caught up in what they "think" people want and cannot comprehend at this point what everyone actually wants.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bonbolapti

@Yummylee: Yeah I do stick by the franchise regardless of what they do because I give two fucks less, than you going out of your way and complaining about it to me. As a 'Scholar' you should know what I'm talking about, but you're so heart broken with a game that you could have seen a mile away. I've played this, I've had to conserve my ammo, I knew when to to either fight or run away, I've had moment of 'oh fuck!' to these monsters infront of me.

Plus you're right, Helena Harper is just as capable. But characters I already know about have more of an impact on me, and having an established universe doesn't really mean much of anything to characters that would be new to the game, in terms of story telling you sit there re-learning everything for their sake before you learn anything new. Then again, that's a bad statement, because that's what all those documents you collect are for. And raising the stakes? Well they're trying that with the monsters, they've actually been more creative this time around at least.

and yeah, because of the new controls, it's a bit of a learning curve in mercs. But I've actually welcomed the tweaks, minus the hiccups on my own account, I've had moment of sheer badassery. So I can't really fault that one on my own account.

@Brodehouse: That one for the Vita? I'm actually kind of curious about it, but just how it fits as a Silent Hill game hahah

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bonbolapti

@RAMBO604 said:

Capcom can't see the forest for the trees, they're so caught up in what they "think" people want and cannot comprehend at this point what everyone actually wants.

I fully agree with this statement.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By musubi

I'll just leave this here... I found this video on youtube and I think its a pretty good take on RE6.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@bonbolapti said:

@Yummylee: Yeah I do stick by the franchise regardless of what they do because I give two fucks less

And therefore your opinion is invalid. Why bother discussing anything with you when you ''give two fucks less'' anyway and Resident Evil is forever Hella Awesome.

@RAMBO604 said:

@Yummylee: Out of curiosity whats your take on Dead Space? In particular the first game. Dead Space 1 was the best Resident Evil game in years as far as I am concerned. It is exactly what Resident Evil should have evolved into and it beat RE5 to market by five months allowing it to fill my head with all these grand visions for RE and fuel my disappointment with that game.

It was horror but was still a modern shooter, you still had the inventory management but it wasn't a burden, the memos and video logs fleshed out the story but were always ancillary to it, the isolation of you alone with only a few moments of interaction with other survivors here and there, and it was genuinely tense. That is the exact formula Capcom needed to copy for Resident Evil to evolve into the modern day while retaining its soul.

It checked every box for a modern update to the classic Resident Evil except it was in space. If only that team wasn't part of EA, Capcom would have the perfect western studio to go to for a DMC style reboot of the series. Which is absolutely the only thing they can do at this point. Capcom can't see the forest for the trees, they're so caught up in what they "think" people want and cannot comprehend at this point what everyone actually wants.

I liked Dead Space fine. In fact I really liked it, and I agree in that it could have made for a suitable replacement for Resident Evil. But then Dead Space 2 happened. And now Dead Space 3 is happening, which is frankly looking to go through the same stages as Resident Evil did from RE5 onward.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bonbolapti

@Yummylee said:

@bonbolapti said:

@Yummylee: Yeah I do stick by the franchise regardless of what they do because I give two fucks less

And therefore your opinion is invalid. Why bother discussing anything with you when you ''give two fucks less'' anyway and Resident Evil is forever Hella Awesome.

Well if you want to be a shithead about it, then what are you even doing here?

@Demoskinos: DUDE, When Chris rode the Panda, IT BLEW MY MIND.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yummylee

@bonbolapti said:

@Yummylee said:

@bonbolapti said:

Name calling, nice. That's mature. FYI, I was being completely serious, and I came in here to debate against your arguments in your blog. But again, if you're really as much of a fanboy as you're making out to be, then this will all be a waste of time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yummylee said:

@Brodehouse said:

Resident Evil has always had actual puzzles--they're usually rudimentary and basic but they're still in there and serve their purpose; block puzzles, slider puzzles, combinations ect.--and as for collecting stuff to place it elsewhere, well, again I have to question why you even bothered with this series in the first place since you apparently disliked so much of its design.

The whole Goddamn point of collecting Goddamn stuff and having to take it elsewhere was of course a contrivance to force you to explore, and backtrack, as your supplies dwindle forcing you to try and figure out new tactics to get to where you need to go. The Mansion in the original Resident Evil in particular had multiple routes as well--some of which you'd eventually unlock of course--that could take you there, so you often had to think about which course was worth braving dependant on your current status.

Of the original lineage, I've only played the very first one any recently, and the only real puzzle was the chemical mixing sequence. The rest was knowing where to look for things. And that to find the Eagle and Wolf crests you have to look inside the Doom Books. It's the action-adventure variant of the adventure game "Just click everywhere on the screen to make sure you didn't miss something, and then try every combination of everything". Oh wait, I guess you had to do a push-the-thing puzzle to get the second Doom Book. Two puzzles. But finding all the DISCS or whatever they were to break Chris out of the cell, that was just knowing or not knowing where to look.

Stop being so Goddamn reactionary anytime I say anything remotely negative about survival horror games. You keep accusing me of not liking games that I like just fine because I'm realistic about them. It just reminds me of people flipping in the chat during Breaking Brad "WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT DOOM MAP DESIGN IS WAY BETTER THAN NOWADAYS!" You're exactly right about the need to find a carving of an armor as being a complete contrivance designed to make you go to the other side of the mansion; that's exactly what it was, and that's exactly what I said. It's a task you have to perform, but it's still not a puzzle. Just like Kill All The Dudes isn't a puzzle, or Drive This Car To The Finish Line isn't a puzzle.

I've built a tabletop campaign around the concepts of good survival horror, and the main one was giving them multiple options to explore that ultimately require them to explore another option in order to progress the first one. It also made you realize that in any remotely realistic thing they will try to unscrew hinges and collapse walls rather than walk across a clearly haunted hospital to find a key.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bonbolapti

@Yummylee: Dude, you're creating a scene and embarrassing yourself infront of everybody. We just want to enjoy the party. If you wanted to debate, you would have replied to the rest of that post.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By musubi

@bonbolapti said:

@Yummylee said:

@bonbolapti said:

Yup. You can also go down the slide with peirce. There is a ton of really dumb little things like that hidden in the game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Justin258

I played the demo of RE6 and, yeah, that made it apparent that this is simply not true at all. I loved the fifth game and beat it several times, both by my lonesome and with my brother, and it felt far more responsive in every way than RE6.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yummylee

@Brodehouse said:

@Yummylee said:

@Brodehouse said:

Of the original lineage, I've only played the very first one any recently, and the only real puzzle was the chemical mixing sequence. The rest was knowing where to look for things. And that to find the Eagle and Wolf crests you have to look inside the Doom Books. It's the action-adventure variant of the adventure game "Just click everywhere on the screen to make sure you didn't miss something, and then try every combination of everything". Oh wait, I guess you had to do a push-the-thing puzzle to get the second Doom Book. Two puzzles. But finding all the DISCS or whatever they were to break Chris out of the cell, that was just knowing or not knowing where to look.

Stop being so Goddamn reactionary anytime I say anything remotely negative about survival horror games. You keep accusing me of not liking games that I like just fine because I'm realistic about them. It just reminds me of people flipping in the chat during Breaking Brad "WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT DOOM MAP DESIGN IS WAY BETTER THAN NOWADAYS!" You're exactly right about the need to find a carving of an armor as being a complete contrivance designed to make you go to the other side of the mansion; that's exactly what it was, and that's exactly what I said. It's a task you have to perform, but it's still not a puzzle. Just like Kill All The Dudes isn't a puzzle, or Drive This Car To The Finish Line isn't a puzzle.

I've built a tabletop campaign around the concepts of good survival horror, and the main one was giving them multiple options to explore that ultimately require them to explore another option in order to progress the first one. It also made you realize that in any remotely realistic thing they will try to unscrew hinges and collapse walls rather than walk across a clearly haunted hospital to find a key.

There's also a few block pushing puzzles, like trying to make a bridge to reach the aqua tank, or one inside the Umbrella Laboratory where there's a switch and two gas vents on the floor. The puzzle is to try and push the items in their respective positions (the ladder needing to be placed over the switch to climb through the vent above) and the boxes, which are also obstructed by other stuff in the way so they have they can only be moved in specific directions. Again, relatively simple, but they're in there. Then there's the remake of course, which adds in few more.

And I never said the item travelling contrivance was a puzzle, I was just explaining why it was in there and how it fitted. And I'm not being Goddamn reactionary, either. I've just always seen you consistently talk down on the older Resident Evil's and it legitimately leaves me wondering what it is that motivated you to play through them all. Plus you're always seemingly trying to justify why turning the series into full-on action games was the most logical step and how they're really not that different ect. at that. Like when you're talking about why reviewers enjoyed playing the older Resident Evil games during your blurb in your autobiographical collection list in the Code: Veronica section. And if I'm given the chance to explain why I personally preferred the older series, which opposes a lot of the design decisions that went on with RE4, I take it.

Honestly I find comparing our radically different perspectives on the series (and with Silent Hill) is kind of intriguing, so I like to inspire a little conversation here and there.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Justin258

@Yummylee said:

@bonbolapti said:

@Yummylee said:

@bonbolapti said:

Name calling, nice. That's mature. FYI, I was being completely serious, and I came in here to debate against your arguments in your blog. But again, if you're really as much of a fanboy as you're making out to be, then this will all be a waste of time.

Bonbolapti just got called a fanboy by a guy with a Barry Burton avatar.

Sorry, I just had to point out this mix of irony and sadness (on the game's part) like an obnoxious 12 year old.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bonbolapti

@believer258: That's funny that you bring that up. The first demo that came with Dragon's Dogma there was some of that lingering RE5 to the controls, but then the second demo that they released the gameplay wasn't sitting right with me at all and was making me a little skeptic about playing the full game, and it's actually misleading when you can change the controls to 'classic'..

But for me anyway, the core of the original control is still there save for tweaks that they've been doing, since that 3DS game.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@Demoskinos said:

@bonbolapti said:

@Yummylee said:

@bonbolapti said:

Yup. You can also go down the slide with Piers. There is a ton of really dumb little things like that hidden in the game.

You can also go down the slide with Ada. I was sad that she couldn't ride the panda.

Ada being playable isn't a spoiler anymore, right? They're patching it so you can play her campaign from the beginning, so I really hope that everybody who cares about that particular not-so-secret "secret" (which apparently is a small number of people, judging by the reaction on this site) already knows that.

Also, boy howdy, people are being feisty on this thread today.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By musubi

@ahgunsillyo: Yeah, I do think that unlocking the ada campaign from the start sort of circumvents the impact the campaign needs to have if you play it before you finish the other campaigns also the contrived coop seems equally weird...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Yummylee

@bonbolapti said: lol whatever you say. You're the one who's flinging insults around. But OK, fine.

As a 'Scholar' you should know what I'm talking about, but you're so heart broken with a game that you could have seen a mile away. I've played this, I've had to conserve my ammo, I knew when to to either fight or run away, I've had moment of 'oh fuck!' to these monsters infront of me.

Plus you're right, Helena Harper is just as capable. But characters I already know about have more of an impact on me, and having an established universe doesn't really mean much of anything to characters that would be new to the game, in terms of story telling you sit there re-learning everything for their sake before you learn anything new. Then again, that's a bad statement, because that's what all those documents you collect are for. And raising the stakes? Well they're trying that with the monsters, they've actually been more creative this time around at least.

and yeah, because of the new controls, it's a bit of a learning curve in mercs. But I've actually welcomed the tweaks, minus the hiccups on my own account, I've had moment of sheer badassery. So I can't really fault that one on my own account.

See this is where RE6 actually falters. Stuff like running out of ammo, it completely bounces off what they were clearly trying with RE6. They've made the game as action-focussed as they can, and while under different circumstances I would welcome the notion of running out of ammo and having to adapt, for something like Resident Evil 6 running out ammo was a hindrance that was more annoying than it was terror-inducing. It's mostly prevalent during the boss battles, where because they usually take so many bullets to down, or don't telegraph just what the Hell it is you're meant to be doing (Leon's final boss springs to mind), you're left to basically figure out by just shooting everything with trial by fire tactics.

But fortunately, the game just so happens to respawn an infinite number of drones for you to kill to then regain more ammo. What would have been preferable is they just design a boss battle where I wouldn't perhaps be struggling to find something to shoot the damn thing with.

And when I said ''raising the stakes'', I meant actually making monsters that can decimate you. In RE6, you're more of a powerhouse now than you ever where even in RE5, and with all of your melee attacks at your disposal and how you can usually dive out of the way of everything, barely anything the game throws at you is much of a threat. I spot a pack of zombies, I don't pause, I just run in there and lay waste. Same with the J'avo, who are even less intimidating than the Majini. Their increase of numbers for a regular combat scenario alone speaks to how much more stuff you just steamroll through across the game for most part.

What I always come back to is RE5's Lost in Nightmares. That there was a decent look at what a modern Resident Evil survival horror game could look like. You've still got the same controls of RE4/RE5, but the enemies you're facing barely react to your bullets, and the added randomisation of what stuff you find (and when the Guardians of Insanity show up) added an extra sense of unpredictability. Take out the coop and it would have been golden.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RAMBO604

@Yummylee: Ugh yeah couldn't agree more on 3, co-op is the opposite direction of where that franchise should have went. DS2 while it lost some of it's charm didn't quite jump the shark and although it wasn't quite on par with the original it did at least refine it to hell. Dead Space 2 to Dead Space 1 really is more like RE 2 or 3 is to RE1. Same idea, higher stakes. Not RE5 where we forgot what the bet was for.

But it is really going to take some stellar word of mouth for me to bite on Dead Space 3. I already went down that road once before with RE not again.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bonbolapti

@ahgunsillyo: To be honest, I always automatically assume there will an Ada thing to do whenever Leon is in a game. hahaha

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Yummylee

@believer258 said:

@Yummylee said:

@bonbolapti said:

@Yummylee said:

@bonbolapti said:

Bonbolapti just got called a fanboy by a guy with a Barry Burton avatar.

Sorry, I just had to point out this mix of irony and sadness (on the game's part) like an obnoxious 12 year old.

It's true, I like the older games (and Barry) and will most certainly defend them, but I just don't think Resident Evil is a sure ticket to greatness. Hell, I've even said many a time that Code: Veronica X is a pretty weak 'classic' RE game at that. I defend other such RE games, though, because I enjoy them for what they are and I will gladly join in on burning shit like Gun Survivor and Operation Raccoon City to the stake.

EDIT: I will even go as far as to Barry is a totally one-dimensional character at that! But I still like him because of his ''fantastic'' voice acting, and his character design is pretty bitchin'. He resembles some sort of grizzled lumberjack, who's always picked to play Santa for the holidays.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By musubi

@bonbolapti: That is true isn't it... she's been in every single game Leon has. I never put two and two together on that until just now.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bonbolapti

@Yummylee: See, I can agree with the boss fights, while it didn't really bother me with how much ammo I did or didn't have going through the level, when it got near the end game with the big bosses, I found myself unloading and then suddenly having nothing. it's nice that they had fodder that would help replenish this bullets (I guess) but at times it did feel few and far between, and to run around, trying not to die while waiting to get more ammo was totally undesirable.

I also am not too fond of the down but not out feature, It stops me from dying which is okay, but the animation is too deliberate when I want to automatically just shoot myself to safety.

and while the enemies are more fodder than a threat sometimes, I was actually thinking about how I would mind a game of you and your team vs. B.O.Ws. getting a taste of it in Chris's scenario it was kind of neat.

Plus at this point, I just want to see advancement in the B.O.Ws. I think there was some really neat ones, even if the execution was sometimes poor. I also laughed at the fact that they had to have a chainsaw guy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yummylee:I said; mostly that game is having to go from one side of the map to the other to collect some Goddamn thing to plug into something to get another thing to plug into something else. The puzzles were relatively minor; and remained relatively minr throughout. They were rarely what people remembered in a positive light anyway. People remember Mr. X crashing through the Goddamn walls, not arbitrary crank management (well... I remember the crank management). Going back to them in a major way wouldn't necessarily make those games better. I actually liked how a lot of the more straight up puzzle elements were side things in 4; that one dais that you had to do a numbers puzzle on gives you some money, but doesn't block out story progress. No solving poorly written riddles that correspond to Goddamn coins that I had to search across two buildings and a courtyard for just in order to progress the story. Actually yeah, Silent Hill 2 had it completely backwards. Reaching into that toilet should've given you story progress, solving that riddle should've been bonus ammo.

The reason I always bring up how people lost their minds at how it looked is because I hate nostalgia. And a constant bad, nostalgic argument is that Resident Evil was popular because it was difficult to control, and obtuse and confusing. Because that happens literally all the time; Patrick seems to truly believe that the thing that made Resident Evil extremely popular was that it made its players lost and hopeless. And that's not true at all. It was a) nothing ever looked that cinematic before and b) console games typically didn't allow you to blow off heads with your shotgun. That wasn't a thing that happened back then, especially on consoles. I enjoyed those games because I liked the subject matter, specifically Silent Hill. I like how they look, how they sound, but I have no attachment to the way they play. I like Silent Hill for the same reason I like Jacob's Ladder. If you tell me they're making a kart racer based on Jacob's Ladder I'M SO THERE.

Turning RE into an action series is 'the logical step' if you believe that the people who make it should continue to have jobs and feed their children. Because the easiest way to stop all that is for them to make an 'old school' RE game. The thing that gave RE its edge back in 1998 is gone now; everyone has awful M-rated monsters, everyone has rocket launchers and head explosions and cinematic presentation. They can't be mainstream and popular with just the stuff they did in 1996, it doesn't have the same cache anymore. I'd love if Capcom made a throwback survival horror game, and I would play it, and you would play it, and a bunch of other crazy people would play it. But no one else would. Capcom would hemorrhage money, and that entire team would be out of work. I don't believe anyone has to lose money solely for my entertainment. You shouldn't have to throw 100 dollars into a trashcan and set it on fire, just so I can sit and watch it. It's a simple rule that I use whenever I think about what I want from game devs. Because what they want is something approaching security, not my invaluable esteem.

With all that said, I think I'm kind of growing a little done with Silent Hills two main tricks; Check It Out It's Lovecraft and Check It Out You Have Repressed Guilt. I guess Fatal Frame's main trick is Check It Out Cursed Shinto Photography and Resident Evils is Check It Out Alphabet Virus.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm

@Demoskinos said:

I'll just leave this here... I found this video on youtube and I think its a pretty good take on RE6.

That... makes me feel kind of excited about playing Resident Evil 6.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Yummylee

@bonbolapti: Brad made a very good point about the down-but-not-out system and how many a time when you're going through the animation of reviving, there's a good chance that as soon as you get up off the ground, you're immediately killed right then and there with little to no way to avoid it. Fortunately there's that team-medic skill you can equip so your partner will at least give you some added health as well, so you'll only... get knocked down on to the floor again instead of being outright killed. But that's one example that speaks to how generally clumsy the game feels overall.

However, I will also agree that the monster design is pretty good. I even noted in my own user-review that some of those J'avo transformations are pretty disgusting. But ordinarily, they never really changed up my tactics too much because everything usually happens so fast and as long as I kept hold of the firing button, whatever it is is going to die. That differed in such games like in RE5 because considering how stilted your movement was, when a Majini's head pops open to reveal one of those cephalo (centipede heads basically) plagas', I would actually react and try and cover some ground between us.

In RE6 everything dies so quickly that sometimes I needn't even move, or in fact I could even kill the J'avo mid-transformation with my melee attacks. I never felt like there was as much strategy to it all, despite the fact that the game gives you more options than ever. Quick-Shot is ridiculously over-powered, though, and I actually refrained from using it during the campaigns (mercs was different, of course) because of how so much easier it made things. I thought it was more gratifying to shoot a leaping enemy out of the air manually, or potentially time my button press and counter the thing instead.

And yes, it's now like some sort of tradition for RE to reintroduce a Chainsaw Guy™ and some sort of Giant B.O.W.™ ala El Gigante and Ndesu. Though both of which in RE6 I thought were some supremely sucky boss battles, though.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bonbolapti

@Yummylee said:

@bonbolapti: Brad made a very good point about the down-but-not-out system and how many a time when you're going through the animation of reviving, there's a good chance that as soon as you get up off the ground, you're immediately killed right then and there with little to no way to avoid it. Fortunately there's that team-medic skill you can equip so your partner will at least give you some added health as well, so you'll only... get knocked down on to the floor again instead of being outright killed. But that's one example that speaks to how generally clumsy the game feels overall.

However, I will also agree that the monster design is pretty good. I even noted in my own user-review that some of those J'avo transformations are pretty disgusting. But ordinarily, they never really changed up my tactics too much because everything usually happens so fast and as long as I kept hold of the firing button, whatever it is is going to die. That differed in such games like in RE5 because considering how stilted your movement was, when a Majini's head pops open to reveal one of those cephalo (centipede heads basically) plagas', I would actually react and try and cover some ground between us.

In RE6 everything dies so quickly that sometimes I needn't even move, or in fact I could even kill the J'avo mid-transformation with my melee attacks. I never felt like there was as much strategy to it all, despite the fact that the game gives you more options than ever. Quick-Shot is ridiculously over-powered, though, and I actually refrained from using it during the campaigns (mercs was different, of course) because of how so much easier it made things. I thought it was more gratifying to shoot a leaping enemy out of the air manually, or potentially time my button press and counter the thing instead.

And yes, it's now like some sort of tradition for RE to reintroduce a Chainsaw Guy™ and some sort of Giant B.O.W.™ ala El Gigante and Ndesu. Though both of which in RE6 I thought were some supremely sucky boss battles, though.

Brad's not wrong, but I've only encountered that moment of instant death once. probably would happen to me a lot more if I chose a higher difficulty. And I do agree on the point of the monsters, I've actually found myself chasing them down instead of running away from them. The Hunters are basically the hunted this time around.

and hey, when do you gauge they'll introduce a Giant Chainsaw guy? :P

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Yummylee

@Brodehouse said:

@Yummylee:I said; mostly that game is having to go from one side of the map to the other to collect some Goddamn thing to plug into something to get another thing to plug into something else. The puzzles were relatively minor; and remained relatively minr throughout. They were rarely what people remembered in a positive light anyway. People remember Mr. X crashing through the Goddamn walls, not arbitrary crank management (well... I remember the crank management). Going back to them in a major way wouldn't necessarily make those games better. I actually liked how a lot of the more straight up puzzle elements were side things in 4; that one dais that you had to do a numbers puzzle on gives you some money, but doesn't block out story progress. No solving poorly written riddles that correspond to Goddamn coins that I had to search across two buildings and a courtyard for just in order to progress the story. Actually yeah, Silent Hill 2 had it completely backwards. Reaching into that toilet should've given you story progress, solving that riddle should've been bonus ammo.

The reason I always bring up how people lost their minds at how it looked is because I hate nostalgia. And a constant bad, nostalgic argument is that Resident Evil was popular because it was difficult to control, and obtuse and confusing. Because that happens literally all the time; Patrick seems to truly believe that the thing that made Resident Evil extremely popular was that it made its players lost and hopeless. And that's not true at all. It was a) nothing ever looked that cinematic before and b) console games typically didn't allow you to blow off heads with your shotgun. That wasn't a thing that happened back then, especially on consoles. I enjoyed those games because I liked the subject matter, specifically Silent Hill. I like how they look, how they sound, but I have no attachment to the way they play. I like Silent Hill for the same reason I like Jacob's Ladder. If you tell me they're making a kart racer based on Jacob's Ladder I'M SO THERE.

Turning RE into an action series is 'the logical step' if you believe that the people who make it should continue to have jobs and feed their children. Because the easiest way to stop all that is for them to make an 'old school' RE game. The thing that gave RE its edge back in 1998 is gone now; everyone has awful M-rated monsters, everyone has rocket launchers and head explosions and cinematic presentation. They can't be mainstream and popular with just the stuff they did in 1996, it doesn't have the same cache anymore. I'd love if Capcom made a throwback survival horror game, and I would play it, and you would play it, and a bunch of other crazy people would play it. But no one else would. Capcom would hemorrhage money, and that entire team would be out of work. I don't believe anyone has to lose money solely for my entertainment. You shouldn't have to throw 100 dollars into a trashcan and set it on fire, just so I can sit and watch it. It's a simple rule that I use whenever I think about what I want from game devs. Because what they want is something approaching security, not my invaluable esteem.

With all that said, I think I'm kind of growing a little done with Silent Hills two main tricks; Check It Out It's Lovecraft and Check It Out You Have Repressed Guilt. I guess Fatal Frame's main trick is Check It Out Cursed Shinto Photography and Resident Evils is Check It Out Alphabet Virus.

For me, nostalgia has nothing to do with it. I can still play through the original RE games with no fuss no foul, and while there is definitely a lot of truth that RE was popular for its production values, as the series went on more people (most likely?) began to disperse after the novelty had worn off and what you had was people like me, who continued to play more RE games because I really enjoyed me some RE. I mean I liked playing it. And just look at the remake, one of the most popular RE games out there and yet it also the easily most survival horror-nest of them all. I mean that one was even actually kinda scary at times, and the atmosphere is simply perfect.

I would never ask RE to continue onwards strictly with the camera angle perspective and such, though, because obviously that simply couldn't fly. But I do believe the series could still lead into a great horror game complete with the set of controls established in RE4/RE5. That's what I wanted. I wanted the series to evolve sure, but to still keep more of the adventurin'; more exploration, less ammo. As I said, what they shown of RE 3.5 looked (and still does) fucking fantastic. The switch between camera angles to over-the-shoulder is pretty jarring, though, but it manages to make up for it with pure atmosphere. The flashlight would have been a great addition at that, and it's basically all I could have hoped for with a Resident Evil sequel. Cold Fear tried to carry on the torch with that sort of design, but unfortunately that game was a piece of a shit.

Resident Evil Outbreak made for a great survival horror game, though, while introducing a lot of new concepts at that. In the original you had the possibility to play with full analogue control, and in the second one you could even move and shoot at the same time. Plus some of those scenarios are very evocative of what a more 'realistic' sort of situation involving Resident Evil nonsense could transpire as. Building barricades to slow an impending stampede of the undead, working together as a team but still feeling overwhelmed by the odds, and so forth.

Though whether or not the series could stay afloat.... And considering how insanely influential RE4 turned out to be, I'd half expect that going back in time and forcing Mikami to stick with Hook Man build would invariably have me return to a world run by the Cult of Bill Cosby or some shit. Also, Gears of War might not exist and I love Gears of War, so there's that. On the other hand, RE4 is clearly what took the first step up to RE6. RE4 set the stage for an increase in action, and now as the series continued, it's now reached the point where it's ripping off the sort of games it inspired, and poorly at that.

I guess it just comes down to what a shitty industry this is. If a game series really has to try and appeal to such a broad market, to every market, so they can keep it going... Given the recent popularity of survival games, though, maybe CAPCOM will continue to follow the money and what's hot. Lord knows they can't throw in the towel because of the numbers this series continues to bring in, so I'm highly curious to see after hitting this fork in the road as to what Resident Evil will mean on the next consoles. Tone it down back to RE4 standards? Carry on with RE6's Michael Bay aesthetic? Fucking start all over again? God I hope they do. It's got so much baggage now, and even the story most likely won't keep me locked in anymore after the narrative dump that is RE6's ''plot'', so they will undoubtedly have lost a customer completely this time around if RE7 resembles anything to do with RE6.

EDIT: Also I am aware of your survival horror rogue-like theory and I agree, that sounds like it could be a great idea. Adding in a layer of unpredictability could do wonders, and from what I can tell, I think that's the kind of thing ZombiU is rooting for.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By jonnyboy

@Napalm said:

@Demoskinos said:

That... makes me feel kind of excited about playing Resident Evil 6.

I rented RE6, and I'm still playing it, on my second playthrough now. There have been numerous times when I have phoned my mates and said "You're never going to guess what just happened this time!" The one that finally convinced them to try this batshit crazy game was when I phoned them and said "YOU HAVE A FIST FIGHT WITH A FUCKING NEMESIS!" Why would anyone not want to play that? This game should be titles 'Resident Evil: The Third: 6'

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@bonbolapti said:

@Yummylee said:

Brad's not wrong, but I've only encountered that moment of instant death once. probably would happen to me a lot more if I chose a higher difficulty. And I do agree on the point of the monsters, I've actually found myself chasing them down instead of running away from them. The Hunters are basically the hunted this time around.

and hey, when do you gauge they'll introduce a Giant Chainsaw guy? :P

You know, you'd think that since the chainsaws are now actually part of their bodies, they'd just give them a chainsaw on both arms instead of just having one. Not necessarily as practical, but then again, neither is that weird insect head thing that makes them go berserk.

Also, a giant chainsaw guy would be THE WORST. Oh man, so menacing. Imagine how large that chainsaw arm would be. Chopping down buildings and stuff. Madness, I tell you. MADNESS!

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By Itwastuesday

As someone who's never cared about any Resident Evil, ever, I'm actually kind of interested in this one. All of the action moves the game never explains to you seem kind of cool.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm

@jonnyboy: Resident Evil 6: ...C'mon Edition.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bonbolapti

@ahgunsillyo: well, as tacky as it would be at this point, A giant chainsaw guy wouldn't be the worst idea in an "oh shit, I don't want to die" kind of way.

@Itwastuesday: once you figure out the controls, all the action you can do makes the gameplay and over the top kind of fun.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's actually become my favorite game I've played this year so far, so you won't hear me arguing with you.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@bonbolapti: Oh, don't get me wrong; I would find it really entertaining if they put a giant chainsaw guy in the next game. Just up the insanity even more. Imagine if you had to escape out of an office building or a skyscraper that's being diced to shreds by a giant chainsaw guy and then fight him. BANANAS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yummylee: I pretty much agree with everything said there. I actually don't think that RE4 was that grand a departure, the basic controls of the game are actually identical to the previous (with the exception of the roundhouse) just with a different perspective. It still had plenty of exploration in the earlier zones (later it gets a little corridor-ish) but that's true of the survival horror games and even RE5. Talking about having to appeal to a broad market; people got real bent out of shape out of that projection that Dead Space needs to be widely popular to be a viable series, they were asking why it couldn't just sell half a million copies and be fine. I think a lot of people like Dead Space because of the way it looks, the way it sounds, the way it uses lighting, and how polished and clean the combat is. None of that would be true if they made it with a sixth of the budget, with a sixth of the studio staff. I'm not sure it would be any different for an RE game. Silent Hill has gone a somewhat budgety route since Homecoming blew up in their faces, and sales wise it hasn't helped them at all.

The thing about all those survival games is they're open world survival, and specifically that they have zombies. Because... you know, zombies. That's fine for the West, but I can't see Capcom making an open world survival game that is not just a more frustrating Monster Hunter. And to be honest, I can't blame them. Monster Hunter is like heroin for Japanese people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would also add, I'd really like more of the big wide combat environments you'd see early on in 4 and 5. They rewarded exploration and experimentation while you we're evading ganado/majini. They have an almost combat sandbox variety to them, whether you go in the house in 4 and get the shotgun and then jump out the window, or if you climb the bus in 5 and shoot that electrical transformer. There's just options and nooks and crannies all over the place. It also requires a lot of mental tracking and awareness; a corridor is a choke point you can easily defend, a wide open area is danger from every angle.

I think a big reason 6 is so insistent that you meet up for a co-op door and a corridor every 30 feet is entirely due to modern consoles. The way that game looks, there's only so much a PS3 can keep in RAM, so they have to constantly be flushing out stuff you've done and loading in the next area. I suppose there's gameplay and cinematic concerns there too, but for the straight combat areas, I feel like its technology that's keeping them a little narrower than previously established in 4 and 5. And that's a bummer. There's that one map early in Jake's campaign, the town where the boss is raging out in. That was kind of alright.

Then again, if the guns are as limp and inaccurate as 6, I won't want to shoot them on any map.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By shivermetimbers

I have a question for the OP: Do you think the fans deserve better than what they got? Since you've basically admitted that CAPCOM can get away with anything they want as long as it has some semblance of Resident Evil to it, I'm curious to find out where you want this franchise to be heading. If you refuse to complain about cheap deaths and bad on rails segments because you're a fan, what else can they get away with?

If you enjoy the game, fine. I'm not trying to make you hate it. If you're going to accept anything they give you because you're a fan, however, I think that's pretty poor judgement, IMHO. Things can be worse, but things can be much better and just ignoring major criticisms isn't going to pay off well.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bonbolapti

@ahgunsillyo: aww... now I want that.

@Brodehouse: The amount of co-op doors is definately nutbar. But it probably is a hardware limitation considering the scale and draw distance of a lot of the levels. A wider environment in these games to explore would make it a lot more fun, and you do get some of that in the Jake campaign. Plus that that Giant B.O.W. you had the fight was fun BECAUSE I was wandering around looking at the stuff I could do.

@shivermetimbers: Well I use cheap deaths as a general point, it doesn't really deter from my experience because that never happened to me enough to hate it. And On rails stuff was just kick ass in this game. And as I've pretty much stated before I'm more invested in the story and the characters, so yes in terms of gameplay they can do whatever they want with it because I'm no longer playing for it's 'scare me' or shooter aspect.

I guess what I want out of it now is to explore more of the Universe they created. Probably let go of Umbrella. but If you're asking me if I think fans deserve better, to be honest I don't think fans deserve anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.