Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

Resident Evil 6’s On-Disc DLC is Completely Free

• 125 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    I finally put Resident Evil 6 to bed earlier this week...and immediately put it on Vinny's desk.
    I finally put Resident Evil 6 to bed earlier this week...and immediately put it on Vinny's desk.

Whether it’s a reaction to backlash or was Capcom’s policy from the start doesn’t matter, but the downloadable content squirreled away on Resident Evil 6 discs will be available for free.

This includes the already discovered No Hope Left difficulty level and option to play (I almost wrote “enjoy”) Ada Wong’s campaign in co-op. Previously, it was a solo affair. It’s unclear how that will work story-wise. An upcoming patch will also unlock this campaign, which ties up the game’s loose ends, from the start. Everyone else had to gain access by completing the three other campaigns.

Capcom’s faced criticism for including downloadable content users must pay for on the shipping disc before, but the company has claimed to be backing off from the process. When a YouTube user found downloadable content on the disc, there were a series of groans heard ‘round the Internet.

Fortunately, it looks like Capcom may have learned its lesson.

“Some data of this update is on the disc, but said data is incomplete and requires the actual download to access,” said the company on the Capcom Unity blog. “But again, free. Mercenaries costumes are residentevil.net unlocks. Simply register for the site and start earning RE points for those goodies.”

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Whether it’s a reaction to backlash or was Capcom’s policy from the start doesn’t matter, but the downloadable content squirreled away on Resident Evil 6 discs will be available for free.

This includes the already discovered No Hope Left difficulty level and option to play (I almost wrote “enjoy”) Ada Wong’s campaign in co-op. Previously, it was a solo affair. It’s unclear how that will work story-wise. An upcoming patch will also unlock this campaign, which ties up the game’s loose ends, from the start. Everyone else had to gain access by completing the three other campaigns.

Capcom’s faced criticism for including downloadable content users must pay for on the shipping disc before, but the company has claimed to be backing off from the process. When a YouTube user found downloadable content on the disc, there were a series of groans heard ‘round the Internet.

Fortunately, it looks like Capcom may have learned its lesson.

“Some data of this update is on the disc, but said data is incomplete and requires the actual download to access,” said the company on the Capcom Unity blog. “But again, free. Mercenaries costumes are residentevil.net unlocks. Simply register for the site and start earning RE points for those goodies.”

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Wha?

OH. Okay. I didn't really read the last bit. For a second, I was wondering why the fuck it was DLC if it was going to be free and already on the disc...

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By FightMeNerd

I still don't get why you guys hate Resident Evil 6 so much. I rented it just to try it and was blown away by the 4 player multiplayer and awesome controls. Maybe I was just lucky enough to have heard the complaints and explinations of the correct way to play the game before I played it. I'm just if I didn't know you could use both sticks for the spin, the trick to easily climb the rope, the fact that your supposed to play a little of each campaign... That game is amazing.

Digitised

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Digitised

Shouldnt this just be called 'content'?

madnesshero88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By madnesshero88

Play more RE6? Why would anyone want to do that to themselves?

Yohosie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yohosie

After SFxT any DLC policy Capcom uses is an improvement. On-disk DLC has its uses but I'm glad it's being phased out

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By baconbutty

"I finally put Resident Evil 6 to be earlier this week" To be?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Animasta

@Digitised said:

Shouldnt this just be called 'content'?

well you need a download to finish the content so I don't think so?

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator
    @BaconBuTTy: or not to be?
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By TheHBK

Vinny, hurry up and play this. Next weeks bombcast will be awesome if you do.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vikingdeath1

@BaconBuTTy: I think I read that maybe 8 times trying as hard as I could to understand.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lurkero

Well at least that little bit is free. I have no intention of playing additional RE6 content though. I wanted to enjoy the wreck, but not for too long. This game is getting traded in to Gamestop very soon.

ashbash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ashbash

Why lock it away for a later date if everyone's going to get it anyway? The only conclusion that makes sense is that they changed their mind with charging for this content.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ripelivejam

The caption should read "to bed." Now let that be the last painfully nitpicking comment on grammar/spelling/typos here.

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By baconbutty

@vikingdeath1: Yeah me too.

Gave me a headache, before I realised what it was supposed to say.

KlUMZeE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KlUMZeE

Nice to see that Capcom is backing off of the paid on-disc DLC. It's just too bad that this game is such a disappointment; I really enjoyed RE5 but everything I've heard about 6, and not just from Giant Bomb, makes me want to just skip it and hope for a better game next time around.

Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Curufinwe

There's a typo in the caption.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By DarkbeatDK

I don't get the hate for Resident Evil 6. Listening to the podcast and reading reviews here and other places makes me think that you don't understand how to play the game.

Not saying that there's a wrong way to play a video game, but it's just not a cover shooter as some allude to. It's a lot more about disabling enemies and finishing them off in the style of RE4 and 5. It didn't seem like Brad had discovered the Quick Shot system at all and after 30 hours of gameplay, I had no idea that you could drop to the ground to recharge your Combat Guage either.

It's a lot more technical than it lets on and if you play it like you'd play Gears of War or Uncharted, I can understand why you'd dislike it.

BagronkeN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19  Edited By BagronkeN

What?! No South Park episodes on the disc..? I am disappoint.

Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Curufinwe

@KlUMZeE: You should listen to the last Game Informer podcast, or watch their Test Chamber video (like a Quick Look except the guy actually plays decently) or read their review to get a very different impression of RE 6 than what Giant Bomb would have you believe is the consensus.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By louiedog

@ashbash said:

Why lock it away for a later date if everyone's going to get it anyway? The only conclusion that makes sense is that they changed their mind with charging for this content.

The ONLY conclusion. Or maybe they want to keep people from trading it in for awhile and keep used copies off shelves.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By Seroth

Incomplete data... Still hoping that the BSAA Agent in Mercenaries is a placeholder for Hunk! ...doubtful, but I still have hope!

I wonder how Ada's co-op campaign will work when linked with online with other players. Will they just see some random dude helping Ada out during their stories? That'd be weird.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By striderno9

Odd, seems to me if it was free off the bat they'd just have it outright. I think they just changed their mind.

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ma_rc_01

Isn't anything secret anymore? I though the fact that you had to play all the campains to unlock the fourth one was the best part of this game. Now it's just, well here you go.

CharAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CharAznable

I'm not buying it, Capcom.

revel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By revel

So word is the game is selling well. Way to go guys. Way to go. Completionist nerds who have to "collect the whole set." You want and think they will learn their lesson? Not when millions of dollars falls into their lap. One thing I saw said it was already at 2m (not fully sure if that is true or not though) which is half way to RE5's grand total current sales. So congratulate yourselves. You've earned it. *slow clap*

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Klei

Nice. Capcom is learning from their mistakes.

Sevenout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sevenout

@Curufinwe said:

@KlUMZeE: You should listen to the last Game Informer podcast, or watch their Test Chamber video (like a Quick Look except the guy actually plays decently) or read their review to get a very different impression of RE 6 than what Giant Bomb would have you believe is the consensus.

You say that like the metacritic score isn't a 66. Sure some people liked the game, but it IS the consensus that the game is less than spectacular. It's not some weird put on by Giant Bomb to make you think scores are lower than they actually are.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shaanyboi

so is making your DLC free the new way of appeasing negative backlash against your game?

revel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By revel

Pasted from a Siliconera.com article.

Resident Evil 6 (PS3) – 634,933

Resident Evil 6 (360) – 41,652

For comparison, here’s what Resident Evil 5’s first week sales looked like back in 2009:

Resident Evil 5 (PS3) – 319,590

Resident Evil 5 (360) – 79,157

I played RE5. I liked the co-op. It was good. I have not bought RE6. Faster clapping for me. *fast clap*

Skanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Skanker

@Sevenout said:

@Curufinwe said:

You say that like the metacritic score isn't a 66. Sure some people liked the game, but it IS the consensus that the game is less than spectacular. It's not some weird put on by Giant Bomb to make you think scores are lower than they actually are.

People who aren't garbage at the game like it just fine. There's been rapid shifts in opinion of this game by people since it released.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By UltimAXE

I played the most recent demo of RE6 and thought that it was fine. Then I preordered it, then within a day or two the negativity began to pour in. I said "Well . . . I liked the demo, so I'll just ignore everyone." Been playing through the game slowly in coop with my non-gamer brother on Veteran and we're both having a great time.

Maybe it's because I don't play a whole lot of third person shooters, but I really don't understand where the hate stems from. Then again, we've only just beat Leon's campaign, so maybe it all falls apart when you hit Chris and Jake.

BNB82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BNB82

Free is nice, but who wants to play more of a broken game?

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Tarsier

this is kind of hilarious. the only reason they did that is because they know they cant get away with it with this particular shitty game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By musubi

Yes Patrick I shall "enjoy" the DLC. Thanks. Also, unlocking the Ada campaign from the start is a mistake...it has a key story reveal that will kind of make a lot of the other stories not have the impact they should. It really should be played last. What i want is the new mercs maps. =(

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nephrahim

@revel said:

Pasted from a Siliconera.com article.

Resident Evil 6 (PS3) – 634,933

Resident Evil 6 (360) – 41,652

For comparison, here’s what Resident Evil 5’s first week sales looked like back in 2009:

Resident Evil 5 (PS3) – 319,590

Resident Evil 5 (360) – 79,157

I played RE5. I liked the co-op. It was good. I have not bought RE6. Faster clapping for me. *fast clap*

Day one sales don't necessarily tell the whole story. Dragon age 2 outsold 1 pretty good for the first week or two, but then fell off the face of the earth.

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/5693540/img/Anonymous/DA2DAO-2.jpg

ninkendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ninkendo

This...this is a Capcom game, right?

Avatar image for death_to_america
    Death_To_America

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Death_To_America

What does it matter anyway? The game sucks ass.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ravenlight

What?

If it's already on the disc and free, why not just roll it into the game proper?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By musubi

@Ravenlight: The same reason Tekken Tag 2 is doing the same thing they want to have a steady drip of new content that unlocks that keeps people playing.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#41  Edited By Yummylee

Meh. At this point even Mercenaries can't hold my attention anymore (speaking for RE6's anywhoo; RE5 I still enjoy heading back to for a match every so often) and that's like the only genuinely good piece of content in the game.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Skanker said:

@Sevenout said:

@Curufinwe said:

People who aren't garbage at the game like it just fine. There's been rapid shifts in opinion of this game by people since it released.

Keep telling yourself that. I'm just fine at the game and the combat is just okay. Combine that with all of the awful set piece moments (which happen almost all the time in one form or another), mostly uninteresting story delivered over far too long a campaign and cheap deaths from quick time events and your left with Mercenaries as the only high point in the game and they even locked out half of the maps from those who didn't pre-order at the right place.

People not completely understanding how the game plays (which is the fault of the game) are still capable of seeing all the rest of the garbage the game so proudly displays.
    Avatar image for senor_delicious
    senor_delicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By senor_delicious

video games are back !

Razputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Razputin

@revel: Oh, thanks for the ovations. I'm happy that RE6 is selling well because I enjoyed it greatly.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shaka999

Ah come on . I get you don't think RE6 is a good game (as do other people), but comments like "(I almost wrote “enjoy”)" are kinda snarky and unneeded in a news story, don't you think?

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Genkkaku

Patching Ada's campaign to make it playable from the start and adding co-op.. why..

PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PatPandaHat

Actually, this seems great (for me). I wanted to play the Ada campaign, but the thought of having to fight that stupid last boss of Leon's, or play any of Chris' campaign to unlock it filled me with a dread.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By themangalist

@louiedog said:

@ashbash said:

The ONLY conclusion. Or maybe they want to keep people from trading it in for awhile and keep used copies off shelves.

Because they want to come out on christmas day and say: "Merry Christmas Capcom fans! Here have a code for some free dlc content! (that was on your disk all thic time)" But good job, hackers and haters, thanks for ruining the surprise.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @PatPandaHat said:

Actually, this seems great (for me). I wanted to play the Ada campaign, but the thought of having to fight that stupid last boss of Leon's, or play any of Chris' campaign to unlock it filled me with a dread.

Yeah, that was a problem I had with the campaign structure. They basically tease the actual story for 20 some hours before letting you see the conclusion. Chris' campaign was a total drag for me and I had left it for last. Just wanted to see how the story ended but the game wouldn't let me.
    EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#50  Edited By EpicBenjamin

@Shaka999 said:

Ah come on . I get you don't think RE6 is a good game (as do other people), but comments like "(I almost wrote “enjoy”)" are kinda snarky and unneeded in a news story, don't you think?

Agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.