Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

This game's not too bad

• 88 results
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Not bad , but not good .

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By Jeust

I finished recently Leon's campaign, and liked it a lot, appart from the final strech which was insanely bad with all those boss fights.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I dug the 3rd chapter of Chris' campaign as well, really liking drunken rage Chris though wish he had a flask or something to take a swig out of occasionally; he's way more interesting/entertaining than his boulder punching alter ego. The "Story Convergence" thing is a really awesome idea for multiplayer and still moderately interesting in single player. The driving mechanics were really poorly explained, but I guess most people really like holding down R1 as hard as possible so there's not that much complaining about it? Hopefully you keep fighting helicopters, stealth camo snake has too much HP, and professional continues to be really easy.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Baillie

Started playing it. Why have the graphics taken a massive nose-dive since RE5. Why does the gameplay feel extremely janky, there's no impact like there was in RE5. Why is melee overpowered. I hope this gets better, but man. I thought it was just people bitching, I fucking LOVED RE5.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

it's got shitty parts of course, and alot of em, but I rather enjoyed my time with that game.

The quicklook involves Brad and Patrick missing out on some key features of the game and is almost worthless to watch. Jeff plays a good devil's advocate though.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I didn't like this one at all but I've not been able to get into anything RE since 4.

Maybe the steam version of RE: Revelations will be more to my liking.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@baillie: It uh, looks better than RE5, sorry dude don't know what to tell you. Gorgeous game, hard to complain about that front; hopefully the end of console games look similar. As far as gameplay goes basically they sped everything up a little, it feels weird at first but you kind of get used to it, if you mean melee is overpowered in the sense of spamming R1; it isn't. For setting up ranged/melee combos it's a lot easier to one hit KO, but there's also just a shitload more and faster moving enemies, also you aren't invincible for as long a period of time in combo melee actions.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fredchuckdave: You really think it looks better than RE5? That's... Madness.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Finished Chris' campaign, overall pretty solid, I'd give it a 7-7.5/10 or so. The last boss is not very good playing with Piers and AI since you can't aim precisely, if it was me playing with a competent partner I could see it being alright. You do get infinitely regenerating health so it's not too hard to stay alive perpetually on professional, but was a lot of running around and waiting for AI Chris to shoot the thing at the right spot. The QTE sequences before that are really bad for co-op but not that bad for singleplayer since it's basically a gauntlet and you have 1 person doing the gauntlet or 2 people doing the gauntlet with either one making a mistake causing death so twice as many chances to fail and no way to help each other. (I've just been playing with an open game, get random partners of varying levels of competence) Doing it with a partner still only took 4 or 5 tries, even if those deaths were annoying.

The later tier of enemies in Chris' campaign are kind of just annoying at least on Professional, they knock you down almost instantly if you're stationary so often the best option is just to run past 90% of them; but the game doesn't stop you from doing this so /shrug. Started Jake's campaign which seems like it could be really solid, arbitrarily the same enemies from Chris' campaign now have several different stagger animations to melee from, hurray. Characters are way better, environments are interesting, and melee makes you feel more like a silly action hero. The Ustanak fights in the first chapter both seem relatively well tuned for Professional. Suppose if I didn't know how to Quick Shot it would be a lot worse.

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#60  Edited By natedawg_kz

PEOPLE!

There's no need to get super defensive if someone dislikes a game you enjoyed, it's ok to have a separate opinion.

Personally l thought RE6 was a mixed bag, really hyped for the console version of Revelations though.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

half the people saying the game is awful, with a small minority saying it's worth checking out... Man, that just makes me want to play it BAD. I love semi-busted games with a bit of crazy. Mess up the story and throw in some incomprehensible fan service and I can't resist.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tourgen: It just gets a lot more hate on this forum in particular, it is by no means a bad game, it's not as good as RE5 which wasn't as good as RE4. People like echoing staff opinions unless they're too counter to mainstream internet thought (Dark Souls). You do get some interesting discussions on games that the staff either didn't play or only barely played though. I wouldn't even classify it in the "so bad its good" category, it's just a game with an incredible scope and scale that works some of the time and doesn't work at other times. Ideally it would have been awesome throughout, but failing that it is far from a disaster.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By handlas

I liked the game... nothing about it was "broken." I just remember seeing reviews and Brad's quicklook and wondering why they never use the dive mechanic or anything. I'm sure the game feels broken when you don't utilize all the mechanics. I just beat Ada's campaign. Makes the overall story make a lot more sense. Nothing will top my love for RE1 and 2 tho so oh well.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64  Edited By carlthenimrod

I thought it was a large pile of poop and you couldn't pay me $15 bucks to play it again.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Just finished Jake and Sherry's campaign and it's better than RE5 was; depending on how much you like the REmake it's better than almost every other RE game as well; doesn't sniff RE4 of course but not many games do. The chainsaw dude is fantastic and gives you flashbacks to the various bosses that popped up out of nowhere and gave you a challenge in RE4 and greatly increased the intensity of the game. It does Nemesis better than Nemesis and is genuinely fun and entertaining throughout. Best duo of characters in the series.

There's a few small quibbles, the first 2 minutes kind of suck, the "slide down the entire ramp" part of chapter 2 is annoying but short lived, and you could stand to either have one less gun or have 1-2 more inventory slots (I don't want ammo for this sniper rifle damnit!); though it was amusing having a full arsenal at the end. Did almost every QTE in the campaign on the first try including the entire final sequence so much better on that front than Chris' sojourn. The stealth sections are... stealth sections? They're not bad by any means, they're really easy and simple I guess but the atmosphere developed during that sequence is neat. Campaign as a whole gets a 9/10.

Theoretically you could play just Jake's campaign and be done with RE6 entirely and still enjoy it, it's also much more re-playable than comparable types of 5-6 hour experiences and the jump in jump out co-op is really fun in a similar sort of way to Dark Souls phantoming.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@fredchuckdave: did you beat Leon's yet ? Personally I thought Jakes campaign was the weakest of them all but it had enough bizziare stuff to get enjoyment. On top if that I think Jake is a solid character and definitely wouldn't mind seeing him in future games

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones: Nope, coinflip on whether I do Ada's or Leon's first; probably Ada's since it actually unlocks something for Mercs; but for now I get to relax and mess around on the new stage for a few hours.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#68  Edited By Yummylee
    Loading Video...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This guy is either trolling or on drugs if he thinks any part of RE6 is better than any part of RE5. Except maybe the jacket technology.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Played through Ada's campaign in one sitting, was fun all the way through and once again better than RE5. Going to take a wild guess and say Leon's will be the worst of the bunch but it would have to be incredibly terrible to make the campaign of RE6 noticeably worse than RE5 overall. Mercenaries is much better in RE5 of course so it still has a slight edge. The naked lady boss fight is creepy and weird but it's not offensive in the way Gwynevere from Dark Souls is; most zombie monsters are naked dudes so one being a naked chick isn't the worst thing ever, and once again her mutations actually seem semi-practical. The boss fight was fine. I like that Simmons eventually turns into a T-Rex, though he did take like 5-6 solid minutes of helicopter bullets to go down which was tedious but not difficult or irritating really. Chainsaw guy had RE5 style QTEs which I don't really like (die once because you don't know what the button is). Great environment variety, excellent arsenal, and a decent character. Ada isn't as cool as she was in RE4 but she's still reasonably spiffy, I don't even mind the character redesign just the voice actress isn't great as Ada (though she's fine as Carla).

Very tempted to just not play Leon's campaign and proclaim RE6 > RE5 just to piss off people, but I'll do it eventually. Bloodshots are really easy to counter kill so that part's mostly negated, but I don't really like the enemy types even if the environments are once again nice and varied. I suspect I'm going to do be doing a lot of running past enemies which I haven't had to do since the last two parts of Chris' campaign.

The Bear Commander is one of my favorite weapons in the whole series; so satisfying and murderously powerful; by far the best assault rifle. The Red 9 and the Riot Gun probably the only two guns I like better. RE6 has advanced mechanics as well like shooting the bolt action sniper rifle and quick swapping to a different weapon and back to negate the reload time, was great for dealing with Whoppers, Double Whoppers, and Whopper Supremes. This game has an enemy called Whopper Supreme, what's not to like? Anyway an on the surface mediocre weapon becomes a death machine in the right hands.

Time for some Burger King

Edit: Oh, 9/10 for Ada's campaign

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By artelinarose

Finished Chris' campaign, overall pretty solid, I'd give it a 7-7.5/10 or so. The last boss is not very good playing with Piers and AI since you can't aim precisely, if it was me playing with a competent partner I could see it being alright. You do get infinitely regenerating health so it's not too hard to stay alive perpetually on professional, but was a lot of running around and waiting for AI Chris to shoot the thing at the right spot. The QTE sequences before that are really bad for co-op but not that bad for singleplayer since it's basically a gauntlet and you have 1 person doing the gauntlet or 2 people doing the gauntlet with either one making a mistake causing death so twice as many chances to fail and no way to help each other. (I've just been playing with an open game, get random partners of varying levels of competence) Doing it with a partner still only took 4 or 5 tries, even if those deaths were annoying.

See, this.... this is not good game design. I could go into a several paragraphs long rant as to why I think this, but I'll just leave it at it's bad and only stupid people put things like this in their games.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@artemesia: I'll acknowledge that, but it's like 1/15th of the campaign, it did knock it down from 8 to 7 all by itself; but it doesn't knock it down to 4 or something. Bayonetta has really shitty QTEs destined to fuck up your Pure Platinum runs but they don't really have a hugely adverse effect on the game overall.

Conversely a game having a really fantastic last boss can elevate it a half point or so but it can't make the whole rest of the game magically better. Gwyn made Dark Souls a 9.5 for me instead of a 9 but Four Kings is still in the game as is The Great Hollow and Tomb of the Giants so it doesn't make it a 10. Vagrant Story is probably still the best game ever made even if Guildenstern isn't as ridiculously awesome as he is, though it might get knocked down below Super Metroid/Link to the Past without him.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Game looks like poop.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

It is 2012's GOTY, after all.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's my favorite RE. Take that how you will.

I honestly don't know how to take that. Either you're under-experienced with the RE franchise and 6 is all you've played, you somehow like 6 more than 4 and 5 (utter blasphemy, of course), or you simply have poor taste, OR your ironic appreciation of bad games transcends your genuine appreciation of good ones. I'm struggling to interpret your post and figure out which it is.

Lazlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm enjoying it so far even though I can see where people's problems with it come from. I'll also throw in that I really enjoyed Operation Raccoon City. So... yep.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@pillclinton:

Either Ad Hominem, Ad Hominem, or Ad Hominem; which could it be? Though RE4 is objectively better it is still possible for someone to like RE6 more; if for example Jeff discovered how to play this game prior to playing it (what a concept) he'd probably like it more than RE4 simply because it was faster moving.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@yummylee said:
    @yummylee said:
    Loading Video...

Seriously.

I know I disagree with you on many things Resident Evil, but yes. This. Very much this.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pillclinton:

Either Ad Hominem, Ad Hominem, or Ad Hominem; which could it be? Though RE4 is objectively better it is still possible for someone to like RE6 more; if for example Jeff discovered how to play this game prior to playing it (what a concept) he'd probably like it more than RE4 simply because it was faster moving.

Call it dickish humor; all in good fun, perhaps a tad dickish.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@believer258: Finished Leon's campaign and liked it. Second time writing this post since Firefox crashed; long live Chrome; post might suffer as a result. First chapter is solid, 3rd time going through it and managed to not die once thanks to a partner that died several times and restored my health so doing; unfortunately the slow-ass walking sections still dampered my time down to a B rank but I did have 85% accuracy. I really like the copious amounts of incendiary grenades and remote bombs the game throws at you if it's your first time (i.e. you only have a few weapons); got 12 zombies with one remote bomb at one point without exploiting spawn scripting.

Chapter 2 is the second worst chapter in the game next to Chris' chapter 5; it's not really bad it's simply mediocre and way too long. First boss has too much health, second boss is fine. Infinitely respawning enemies aren't really that much of an issue; you can run past most of them. I did however have a homicidal partner join and there was no way to kick them so I had to patiently wait for them to leave whilst watching Baseball; fortunately that's only like 1 moron out of 50 or so partners thus far. Fell in 3 mysterious water holes and died instantly in one of them (Professional). Helena is the worst character but not offensively so, she's just bland and uninteresting. Chapter 3 is fine, could have used better environment design but the Indiana Jonesyness was moderately entertaining.

Chapters 4 and 5 are both excellent; love the plane sequence, enjoyed fighting Ustanak again, Train Simmons was solid again. Chapter 5 starts out legitimately tense and immersive, I really liked the fog sequences. Even though you know the dude you're with is going to die at some point you're not really sure when and that adds even more to the scene. T-Rex Simmons only took 1.5 minutes (as opposed to 6-7 in the chopper) with Shooting Wild/Firearms 3 and the Desert Eagle (though used most of my ammo for it); much better. The QTE of doom was really easy, did it in one try. Did they patch this or is it just ridiculously overblown? Walkway Simmons went down with relative ease thanks to Shotgun/Sniper Rifle quick swapping rapid fire pumping out an absurd amount of damage. Roof Simmons is annoying but short lived. Bug Simmons is solid, had a co-op partner randomly join here that made it slightly easier but I had a fair amount of healing items left and presumably enough ammunition to win. Leon's campaign is an 8/10 overall.

I really like the ammo issues that this game presents you with, forcing you to use basically every weapon at your disposal at different times. It's testament to the game's variety that I still don't have any of the weapon unlocks (granted I have something like 2000 melee kills) and have a pretty even spread across all weapons and have played a fair amount of Mercenaries. RE5 simply did not have ammo tension, you always had more than enough for whatever you were carrying and it made the game more boring. The upgrade system works fine considering they're working across several different campaigns; ideally they'd have brought the Merchant back from RE4 and between each chapter your characters went into a dream state (blue gas makes you trip) wherein "What are you buyin'? What are you sellin? Hehehehehe thank you" were uttered at every possible moment and magically upgraded their weapons but I guess that's too much to hope for. I like that you could swap out to different sets, Shooting Wild is situationally excellent but I didn't want it at all times and didn't have to have it. If I wanted more ammo for whichever weapon I could swap to a set with one of those skills equipped, and so on.

Professional in RE5 was such a stupid ass mode, run around with infinite magnums and 7 first aid sprays to negate being set into dying state in 1-2 hits. But in RE6 it's actually playable, fun and, reasonably challenging. You're not going to have many no death runs on any given chapter but frequently death is not a setback so once you get used to dying it's not really that big of an issue. It felt damn nice having 4 difficulty trophies pop at the same time and I didn't have to suffer immensely in the process. Mercenaries is hampered in RE6 by limited stages primarily, if they had 8 stages and a Red Executioner type enemy or just a few new extra bosses it would be fine. Plenty of character variety though melee is a bit streamlined which works great in the campaign but simplifies Mercenaries a fair amount. Co-op partners only rarely have the capacity to trivialize the game so that wasn't as big of an issue as it was in RE5 either.

The counter system is fantastic and there's various other ways to play the game skillfully that are more "action-y" than RE5 was; while it appears negating reloads is gone that was a stupid part of the game to exploit incessantly and I don't mind. Even though it's relatively easy to do it feels awesome every time you counter kill a Bloodshot; and it feels great when I quick swap and unload a shitload of powerful rounds on a larger enemy. Killing a Whopper in 2 seconds is extremely entertaining, an Executioner had to be killed in 5 seconds minimum barring an extremely powerful magnum. And so we're left with the final verdict, RE6 is a better game than RE5; Mercenaries being better doesn't negate the campaign being better overall and three times as long; one bad chapter doesn't cancel this out especially when each campaign is presented as essentially one full game for almost any other shooter.

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83  Edited By briggs713

I just started the game the other day. I've been hearing Leon's campaign is the only good one. It took a couple hours for anything to get going story-wise. Also, why did they add a skill system and take away the weapon upgrade system (which was part of why I loved 4 and 5 so much)? Why not do both? Leon's campaign is decent and is designed to be closer to the original games, but I can't see playing through the whole game if the other campaigns get worse. Poor cover-based third-person shooting can be a real slog and I'm not sure what to make of Jake's campaign. I've heard Ada's is the second best, which is why it's available from the get-go now. Should I keep going?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@fredchuckdave: I absolutely hated all the boss stuff in Leon's final chapter but loved everything else about it. Don't know how it only took you two minutes to beat the Simmons dinosaur for but for me it took about 15 and I have no clue why. Along with his last form that took me a total of 40 minutes since the lightning rod was possibly glitched it just totally soured me on it. I do agree that the beginning of Chapter 5 is pretty fucking great. That drive through the fog is quite intense.

I also think that Chapter 4 of every single campaign is the best, this is essentially where everyone converges together and since I played each chapter 4 for each person in a row it was super neat to see it all happen.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@sackmanjones: That's a really cool way to play through the campaigns actually. For the T-Rex or other large enemies the best way to deal damage aside from having Shooting Wild/Firearms 3 is quick swapping weapons; hold L1, R1 shoot your shotgun (in Leon's case), left to sniper rifle, R1, right to shotgun, R1 and so on, you do have to reload eventually but you can pump out those 13 rounds in about 3 seconds if you're fast enough; really speeds up the Simmons fights aside from the bug which requires accuracy. Those annoying fatties on the bridges went down fast as well. You also have to make sure you knock down Simmons when he's in human form and then perform the QTE; don't know how much damage that is but I can only assume it's a lot; quick firing the shotgun is the fastest way to knock him down.

Linked with RE.net which is really damn cool. I have 89% accuracy with the Wing Shooter somehow; did I randomly become a god at this game or something? I played Leon's campaign well but I didn't think it was that well, comparatively I have 65% with the 909, 77% with the Picador, 63% with the triple shot, and 73% with the Ammo Box 50 which is much more consistent with my RE5 pistol stats, bit lower due to the game being less deliberate; I guess the waterfall boss boosts that up a bit but it shouldn't be THAT much. I should note the Wing Shooters dual wield + Shooting Wild/Firearms 3 also does a fuckload of damage.

@briggs713: For Jake's campaign mastering the Quick Shot is a must; it's L1+R1 simultaneously, then use melee afterwards; if it's just one enemy you can do an arm or head stun instead but there's a lot of enemies spawning on top of you.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#86  Edited By Justin258

@fredchuckdave: Thanks!

This game fits that "Dragon Age 2" pocket of curiosity for me. I'm not exactly disinterested, but neither am I particularly keen on playing all the way through them. I just want to see for myself where their quality really falls. EDIT: But I haven't yet because I don't want to spend much money on them.

CosmoKramer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it like RE5 where it's terrible-to-decent in single-player and decent-to-stellar in coop? or have they even fucked that up?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: It was 15 bucks on PS+, dunno if that's still going but that's about as low as you can get for a new game; used you could probably get it for under 10.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

i just borrowed this off a friend. does it work proper now?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.