Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 6

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 02, 2012

The technically eighth entry in the popular horror series features the return of leading protagonists Leon S. Kennedy and Chris Redfield, along with new character Jake Muller, to combat against the latest B.O.W. manufacturer Neo-Umbrella.

You know what this game needs?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By shivermetimbers

...It needs to be more self-aware. Everything is here to make a great satire of the video games industry, but the game somehow plays it straight most of the way as to insult whoever plays it into thinking it's a work of art, when really, it's just like shitting on a canvas and calling it Da Vinci.

Let me explain to the best of my abilities. When a T-rex like boss comes on stage, the game should've shook its head and laughed at it. The player should've proceeded to drop an anvil on it (with 1 ton painted on it) and the t-rex should've held up a sign Wile E Coyote style and proceed to get squashed. When a snowmobile chase starts, the game should stop itself midway through it and have the player character complain about his balls being cramped and proceed to moonwalk down the slope. When a slow motion QTE happens when a zombie takes a hostage and you have to shoot it....well you get the idea...

Everything is here to make "A Cabin in the Woods" of video games. A satire of bad video game tropes is what we need and this game has everything in place to make one: Terrible action set-pieces ripped from Call of Duty, terrible QTEs and slow motion QTEs, explosions and explosions, helicopters exploding, planes exploding, buildings exploding, people exploding, a clunky cover system, mediocre shooting, sequences when you run towards the camera, ETC, ETC...

This kind of game makes me appreciate games like "Spec Ops: The Line" that are self aware of their gameplay shortcomings by having the player reflect on what they're doing. The game is self aware of what it is: a fucking game. It embraces the fact that it's a game, and uses it to good effect.

This piece of shit of a game with its high budget had all the potential in the world to make a statement of just how stupid that the tropes that we take for granted in video games are. Instead it uses them and wants us to accept them and be brain dead zombies.

Some of you may like this game, and that's fine. I don't really care. I'm not saying I have a well thought out argument here, I'm just posting my own personal opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RAMBO604

I think it may need to be self aware in the Metal Gear Solid sense. Being self aware in a cartoonish style would just come off as stupid. Breaking the 4th wall needs to be something that is only prescient for the player. Kojima is about the only Japanese developer who is even capable of this at this point. Regardless of my own enjoyment of the game RE6 is a monolithic embodiment of just how out of touch Japanese game development has become from where western development is now. Capcom is so out of touch that for them to stand back and go "guys this is ridiculous" is impossible. And for them to then take that realization and actually mold it into some sort of commentary or a wink and a nod to the absurdity of the situation is just too out of reach for them.

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shivermetimbers

@RAMBO604: Of course they're many ways to come off as self aware. I like the SWERY65 approach of self-awareness, even though that's pretty cartoonish in its own right.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By FLStyle

American developers.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RAMBO604

@shivermetimbers: I think his style might be a little gonzo for what Resident Evil would need to pull it off. And it only worked in Deadly Premonition because everything was already absurd on a level RE just doesn't operate at. Resident Evil 6 is at a Michael Bay level of absurdity and would need that measure of self awareness. Not a Twin Peaks all in, whats real whats not type of world. The more bombastic the world the more delicate approach I feel is needed. The more surreal it is the more broad strokes you can use in how much you crack that fourth wall because its already in a reality that supports it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

@FLStyle said:

American developers.

Are you saying that RE6 should have been a satire on American games (which would make it a much better game)? I ask because I'm wondering if you know that RE6 is a Japanese game.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LikeaSsur

@believer258 said:

@FLStyle said:

American developers.

Are you saying that RE6 should have been a satire on American games (which would make it a much better game)? I ask because I'm wondering if you know that RE6 is a Japanese game.

I think he meant to imply that American developers are the only ones capable of making a game satirical in nature.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Justin258

@LikeaSsur said:

@believer258 said:

@FLStyle said:

American developers.

I think he meant to imply that American developers are the only ones capable of making a game satirical in nature.

I was going to say "that's not true", but I can't think of anything that is satirical in nature that isn't American. Someone correct me, there's got to be something I'm missing.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LikeaSsur

@believer258: Anything made by Suda 51?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FLStyle

@believer258 said:

@LikeaSsur said:

@believer258 said:

@FLStyle said:

American developers.

I was going to say "that's not true", but I can't think of anything that is satirical in nature that isn't American. Someone correct me, there's got to be something I'm missing.

What the fuck are you both talking about? Japanese developer tries to make Western-influnced 3rd person shooter and fails with the gameplay implementation. Therefore I said American developers.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Hahahahahaa, I actually forgot about that slo-mo ''kill j'avo guy before he kills his hostage'' bollocks. Man, and after so very recently watching Brad get the Mile-High achievement. I've heard that those QTE's where you have to hold onto both triggers and alternate between the two is taken right out of Modern Warfare 2? Plus there's even a little easter egg in Chris' campaign where you can watch him go on a slide and other playground rides. Which is also totaly ripped out of Gears of War 3 during Cole's playable segment of the story.

Unfortunately, CAPCOM don't have the nuance for such sort of commentary, and they really were trying to make a game that would appeal to a mainstream western audience. It's completely shameless, and it's hilarious (and a little sad) to watch CAPCOM actually compile every gimmick, trope and archaic gameplay segment (underwater... obligatory stealth) and be so straight-faced about it all.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LikeaSsur

@FLStyle: Sorry, most of us tend to actually read the first post (thus contextualizing the topic title) instead of just clicking into a thread and hitting "Post Reply" as fast as we can.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Justin258

@FLStyle said:

@believer258 said:

@LikeaSsur said:

@believer258 said:

@FLStyle said:

American developers.

What the fuck are you both talking about? Japanese developer tries to make Western-influnced 3rd person shooter and fails with the gameplay implementation. Therefore I said American developers.

I know there's a gif for this situation but I'm at work and am not going to go search for one.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bane122

I was just going to say "To be good."

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SuperWristBands

I agree that it needs to be more self-aware but, y'know, not in the way you suggest. It doesn't need to be a satire but it needs something to make it more 'fun' instead of being so dry... and it's dry for a really long time.

The sad part is they tried to be fun with Leon but not a one of his one-liners were interesting or funny and some barely made sense in context.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

Although the game is strangely self-aware during some pieces of dialogue, mostly during Ada Wong's campaign. There's a part where Ada Wong says something to the likes of ''These B.O.W.s just won't die'', and when Helena is all broken up and still trying to 'save' Deborah despite turning into a horny succubus, Ada tells her it's stupid to try and save her considering she's trying to kill them all. It's why, despite all of the super-human ninjitsu stuff, I quite liked Ada as a character in RE6. Her perspective was intriguing at the very least.

When Chris also opens himself for Jake to shoot him after admitting that he killed Albert Wesker, Piers will actually ask why the fuck would Chris do that, and say that he was in the right in killing Wesker. Which is no doubt what everybody will have been thinking during that moment. Chris replies with something like ''he's still his father'' or whatever, which is moronic, but I appreciate how the game does sometimes ask itself about its own contrivances, even if it still doesn't negate the contrivances themselves.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By colourful_hippie

How about better controls and camera first?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FLStyle

@LikeaSsur: @believer258: I have a strong dislike for vague thread titles.

ironlocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ironlocke

More Explosions?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ravenlight

You know what this game needs?

Hats, free-to play, microtransactions.

IT WORKED FOR TF2, IT SHOULD WORK FOR ALL GAMES.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PillClinton

@shivermetimbers said:

@RAMBO604: Of course they're many ways to come off as self aware. I like the SWERY65 approach of self-awareness, even though that's pretty cartoonish in its own right.

If Swery 65 led the development of RE6, I'd buy it in a heart beat, twice. And then I'd make an infernal Endurance Run request thread about it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Bane122 said:

I was just going to say "To be good."

You and me both.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Genkkaku

Well every time Jake said "Come on, enough already!" I was also thinking this.. so I guess it is kinda self aware

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shivermetimbers

@PillClinton said:

@shivermetimbers said:

If Swery 65 led the development of RE6, I'd buy it in a heart beat, twice. And then I'd make an infernal Endurance Run request thread about it.

Oh most definitely! If every time a character gets a headshot they would say "Great shot!" or "Amazing!" this game would've been better. Give the dialogue more bad horror movie references, make the boss fights hilariously ridiculous instead of cringe-worthy ridiculous, make hilariously bad QTEs instead of cringe-worthy bad QTEs, make the story hilariously convoluted instead of just convoluted, and give the game a major graphical downgrade and sell it for $20.

It's not hard to imagine SWERY lending a hand to RE6. It basically IS a SWERY game played straight if you can look at it that way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.