Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

In this multiplayer-focused shooter, the evil Umbrella Corporation and the U.S. Government clash in the hellish zombie-infested remains of Raccoon City in a battle for survival and control of the truth.

Operation Raccoon City is pretty good.

• 56 results
    AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AcidBrandon18

Just don't go in with high expectations. It helps if you like the franchise as well as SOCOM. The multiplayer is pretty solid if not a tad bit janky. I'm surprised the servers aren't messed up. I've played for about 5 hours so feel free to ask me anything.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By willin

When I played back in August it was a complete mess. Is the framerate good? Was the aiming improved.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I've never had any illusions that it was going to be a work of art or anything, but as long as it functions properly and I can hopefully round up another 3 fellows to play with, I think I'll get my worth out of it. Plus the amount of fan-service in here alone has me cautiously excited.

So what about the classes? Are they all as distinctive enough? Are their abilities all unique enough to help force a team to actually work together instead of just everyone Rambo'ing off on their own? Also how do the ''choices'' work? I know you may not of gotten that far yet, but I'm curious to know how deciding to kill characters like Leon pans out in when playing with others; does everyone cast a vote or something to that degree?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SomeDeliCook

The only concern/question I have left is about the game's length.

Its apparently around 6 hours-ish, but noone I've seen has been able to give an actual time, they are all just guessing based off of videos or something.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @AcidBrandon18 Could you just give a basic rundown of the game? Im on edge if I wanna get it or not
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#7  Edited By sammo21

Surprisingly, for game that's officialy released today I haven't seen any reviews from sites that I trust. Complex has one up...but seriously...no.

IGN has the review at 4.0, but I've never liked IGN reviews (or their site for that matter) but here it is anyway:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1221157p1.html

I was hoping that we might get a quick look up from the GB guys today but I doubt it.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By DarthOrange

You playing on PS3 or 360?

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By louiedog

"This thing is good if you don't go in with high expectations" can usually be translated to, "this isn't very good, but I like it anyway."

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sammo21

@louiedog: lol, yeah...I was thinking the same thing.

Looks like more reviews are coming in and they are... mediocre to tepid at best. Looks like I am saving my giftcards for Witcher 2 on the 360.

Oddly enough, I didn't realize until today that Slant 6 made this for Capcom...and that made sense. They did a terrible job with the SOCOM stuff they worked on.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SomeDeliCook

The fact that one review stated the game is about 5 hours long but some levels repeat/areas get reused is just mind boggling. Thats just beyond lazy if true

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sammo21

@SomeDeliCook: Joystiq compained about the same thing giving it 2 out of 5. Apparently the game controls like ass and the gun play is really boring.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Sammo21 said:

@SomeDeliCook: Joystiq compained about the same thing giving it 2 out of 5. Apparently the game controls like ass and the gun play is really boring.

Looks like I'm skipping it until it lowers in price.

By that time, the free campaign DLC will be out too.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sammo21

@SomeDeliCook: My bday is next week and I know that I'll get $60-100 in gift cards somewhere, so I was hoping this was good and I'd pick it up. I guess I'll just use them for Witcher 2 next month. Went ahead and added RE to my Gamefly as it seems that's about all its worth, sadly. Great concept..terrible execution.

Now I am interested to see the GB quick look this week, whenever that comes.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yummylee

Hmm. According to IGN, the melee is meant to be insanely OP and can allow you to just swarm through the horde mashing the melee button, whereas according to Joystiq it's all but useless. Not like I'm trying to find faults in the review or anything, it's not like I'm shocked to find that ORC isn't exactly stellar, but I'm still curious to read a few more. Though the Vector strategy of turning invisible and just running past enemies to the next checkpoint sounds... hilarious. But terrible. Hilariously terrible.

Oh wow... and apparently when you're infected and become a zombie (where you also unfortunately lose control of your character), if you're killed, a team-mate can then just revive you and you're back in the fray good as new... Like, what?! What was the point of even having a zombie transformation mechanic when there's literally no consequence? Jesus, now I really want to play this game now. It's all starting to fit into that ''so bad it's still bad but also kinda funny'' category.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By darkvare

http://www.gamesradar.com/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-review/ 3/10 i might get it when is really really cheap

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By DarthOrange

Holy crap this is getting slammed by everyone. I think I'm going to wait for the gold/super/complete edition.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Winternet

Reviewers tend to disagree with you. Scores are around 5.0 as of now.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By MethodMan008

Thats something I haven't heard today..

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Gizmo

Come on, Capcom. Just remake the first 3 games, already. Stop wasting your time trying to make RE into Gears Of War with zombies.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sammo21

@Gizmo: To be fair, I was all down for a mp shooter where you have to worry about the other team and other stuff going on too. Sadly...Capcom doesn't know what the fuck they are doing these days.

Solefever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Solefever

I swear to god game reviews are completely irreleivant nowadays. If its not a AAA tile or a FPS they just don't want to know. I Got this last night and have been playing ever since and IMO its no where near as bad as some of these reviews are making it out to be. Its no masterpiece or anything but it plays fine and is a lot of fun, and that is what games are meant to be about is it not.

mister1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mister1337

@AcidBrandon18: I agree. I like the concept a lot! It's fun and well done but not game of the year material.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yummylee

@Gizmo said:

Come on, Capcom. Just remake the first 3 games, already. Stop wasting your time trying to make RE into Gears Of War with zombies.

Are you srs. Given the direction the series has taken, I'd rather not have the original 3 soured under the new wave of RE developers. I mean Gears of War with zombies is exactly where they're at after all, and it's no doubt the sort of gameplay they'd reinvent the first three games with too. If they were to give RE2/RE3 the same treatment they gave RE on the gamecube (which they won't - ever), then my boner would not reside until they were released. But thinking realistically, they'd only further the way things are now; coop, ammunition raining from the skies, environmental linearity and so on.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Phatmac

Doesn't look that appealing to what I like from RE games. I'll skip this without any regrets.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TentPole

@darkvare said:

http://www.gamesradar.com/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-review/ 3/10 i might get it when is really really cheap

One of there negatives is hafting to hate yourself for buying this bad of a game.

I think they REALLY didn't like it.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AcidBrandon18

@Willin: The framrate is decent, but i never played any earlier versions. The aiming is fine. I just wish bullets weren't so inaccurate.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AcidBrandon18

@Abyssfull: I haven't played much single player yet. The classes are pretty distinct with three up-gradable abilities and two perks per class. You can only have one class per team tho. So you can only have one medic per team. Which kind of sucks if you spec towards a medic and are unable to pick it because someone else got it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Yummylee

@AcidBrandon18 said:

@Abyssfull: I haven't played much single player yet. The classes are pretty distinct with three up-gradable abilities and two perks per class. You can only have one class per team tho. So you can only have one medic per team. Which kind of sucks if you spec towards a medic and are unable to pick it because someone else got it.

Wow. Yeah, that would suck. It's understandable for the coop campaign since that has a story n whatever, but for multiplayer it seems unfair.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AcidBrandon18

This game is by no means a 3/10. I think 5-6 range is fair. Really the only people who should be into this game are fans of the franchise, which I'm a huge one. I have yet to play single player so that could be total dog-poop, but the multiplayer alone has justified my purchase.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By murisan

Why don't you guys on the fence rent it? I feel like a goddamn Redbox salesperson, but around me they're literally on every corner and there are two locations within 2 miles that have this game for the 360 available for $2 a night. In a night, you can PROBABLY figure out whether or not you want to buy the game.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Live2bRighteous

Wow, I feel extremely lucky for canceling my pre order now. These reviews are even worse then Kane and Lynch 2's.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @Solefever said:

I swear to god game reviews are completely irreleivant nowadays. If its not a AAA tile or a FPS they just don't want to know. I Got this last night and have been playing ever since and IMO its no where near as bad as some of these reviews are making it out to be. Its no masterpiece or anything but it plays fine and is a lot of fun, and that is what games are meant to be about is it not.

I think giantbomb shouldn't bother reviewing games any more. A quicklook is way better than any review ever. 
    Here's a guy playing the game for like an hour. During that time does it look like something you'd like?
    adamfedoruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By adamfedoruk

@AcidBrandon18: Hows the general feel of the shooting and gameplay? Did you play SOCOM: Confrontation? I'm in the same boat at you, I really like RE, and am a big fan of SOCOM. As terrible as the first months of Confrontation were, after everything settled down, I really liked it. Does Slant Six carry any of that hardcore tactical shooting business into this? I'm down to buy, but I'm really waiting for a Quick Look, just so I can see some extended MP footage.

2kings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By 2kings

So yeah, I just played this and... it's pretty God-awful.

Really bad shooting/aiming. Terrible AI. Ugly visuals.

DO NOT BUY THIS!! If you have a morbid curiosity, simply rent it. Please do not support this kind of garbage with your dollars. There is plenty of better garbage for that.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By StrikeALight

The game is getting absolutely trashed. Why did Capcom think Six-Slant was a good idea, anyhow?

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By connerthekewlkid

i payed 80 dollars for it and and i dont regret it at all i think its pretty fun in coop

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AcidBrandon18

@adamfedoruk: The guns feel very similar to Confrontation. I loved that SOCOM game so I think thats why I like this so much.

2kings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By 2kings

@connerthekewlkid said:

i payed 80 dollars for it and and i dont regret it at all i think its pretty fun in coop

Glad you like it!! 80 is a bit much though, don't you think?

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AcidBrandon18

I got it for free since I traded in the Mass Effect Trilogy for it.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By benspyda

I think I'll just play some more RE:Revelations.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @adamfedoruk: Just got done playing it for probably 2 1/2 hours (1 hour campaign, 1 1/2 multiplayer)  and here are my first impressions. Know that I am a HUGE Resident Evil fan so that already makes this game a bit better for me personally.  OK here we go. 

First off, the game starts with you fighting a lot of Special Forces, this is not exactly fun. Their A.I is... well lacking to say the least. They tend to just run right by you on occasion and can be really annoying if they catch you in a melee loop. Also the auto-cover system makes this kinda meh also.  It works probably 70% of the time, but sometimes it seems like you should be able to take cover and you just cant.  I haven't had any trouble getting sucked onto walls because you kinda need to be running right at it, but I can see how it can happen. Finally near the end of my first hour I got to start fighting some zombies and ran into a shit ton of lickers. I gotta say this felt pretty tense and I started to enjoy myself.  With the horde of zombies and bow's around, this is what I picture umbrella going through during the Raccoon City incident. 

Lets move on to the combat.  The shooting feels a bit awkward, and it doesn't help that a lot of the guns become really inaccurate if you don't shoot in 3 shot bursts.  I know it seems like this is ok but trust me, it gets kind of annoying especially when your getting swarmed.  Also in cover you sometimes cannot aim which is just utter nonsense. I should also add that I haven't really relied on cover so take that for what you will.  On a positive note the way the side-arm can be handled is quite unique and interesting.  For PS3 if you run out of ammo on a clip you can simply press (and hold)  L2 and your character automatically pulls out their sidearm and aims to the closest target and then you just need to shoot.  You can also control this a bit by pointing the way to aim if the auto lock isn't where you want it. Of course if you just tap L2 you can just switch to the pistol and aim as you please.  Speaking of ammo, you seem to run out.... like a lot and need to scavenge for some.  There tends to be plenty scattered around but in the heat of combat it can be a pain.  There is where melee comes in.  I think its kind of cool much like the side arm stuff, simply press circle and push the left stick where you want to swing.  You have 360 degree control and it has a nice tactile feel to it.  You can also finish enemies off by press X after you have hit an enemy quite a bit. 
    Overall the combat feels solid enough, and there are tons of guns and perks to unlock for each specific character. Its not great but it gets the job done. 

Finally multiplayer, my biggest surprise 

I didn't expect to enjoy any of the multiplayer at all, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. The 2 modes I played were Survive and Heroes. Survive is when two teams need to head to a heli pad and hold it off until the chopper arrives. What makes it interesting is there are 8 people playing and only 4 seats on the chopper (which gives you a decent xp bonus if you get in)  This leads to the ending of the match to be quite hectic and awesome (and sometimes a bit stupid since it takes a while to climb into the helicopter). Heroes is an interesting take on team deathmatch. Each person starts with a Main hero or villian (Leon, hunk, Claire etc...) and that is the only time the hero is alive.  Once a hero dies that person then turns into one of the generic solider classes to help support their hero and kill the other. Once the 4 heroes on one side are killed the game is over. 

So overall, being a huge Resident Evil fan helps this game a lot (seeing hunters and lickers makes me go nuts because of nostalgia).  Like I said I'm pretty early in but I have had some fun times, but more why the hell did my a.i partner run right into that tripmine times.  Multiplayer seems like it could actually turn out good if they fix some of the connection and lag issues. There is a solid amount of perks and weapons to unlock to keep ya going and if you have friends playing with you in the story or competitive it makes the game much more entertaining. 
    So far I'd give the game a 3/5 

Hoped this helped, totally just gonna put this in a blog too ha.
    adamfedoruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By adamfedoruk

@Sackmanjones: Thanks for the big write-up man!

I've checked out some videos, here is a vid I found of a guy playing two MP matches (including the helicopter one, and yes, I agree that seems kinda awesome) It totally seems like MP is where the redeeming value is in this title. I've got that itch for a new game and want some MP fun. While it definitely seems it's not a home-run, I'm totally interested in the game and I bet I'll pick it up. Now the question is 360 or PS3. I guess 360 for that exclusive dlc =/

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @adamfedoruk: I'd say if you know friends who are getting it go with that system. I'd be more than happy to play with you on psn but ya that free dlc is a catch. Honestly I don't know how long that multiplayer will stick so just go with where your friends are if they are getting it.
    Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@2kings: eh 70 dollars for CE edition 80 including tax

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Camosid

I agree with most of the people that dig this game. I was going in expecting serious disapointment and a terrible game. Ends up I am having fun and the fan service has me. I don't really feel the bad controls stuff. The AI is poor yes, but it feels just like any other 3rd person shooter to me. 6 to 7 range I guess.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Camosid

I agree with most of the people that dig this game. I was going in expecting serious disapointment and a terrible game. Ends up I am having fun and the fan service has me. I don't really feel the bad controls stuff. The AI is poor yes, but it feels just like any other 3rd person shooter to me. 6 to 7 range I guess.

I think the shooting feels a bit off and the cover system is hit and miss (but where I'm at I barely use it). 6 or 7 seems right. I'm near the beginning but the story seems ok and I know they could have done a better job with that
    Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Camosid

@Sackmanjones: Maybe I just don't have what it takes to feel that slight difference. The cover is occasionally annoying yes but it seems fine. I think it's funny that the only real outrage here is that it's being treated like an absolute piece of shit when most people seem to think it's just mediocre.

adamfedoruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By adamfedoruk

Alright guys, I bit. Been playing the mp for a couple hours now. It's kiiiinda clunky, but fills that strange urge I have to play different types of multiplayer games. There are some interesting things /6 has done with some of the mechanics.

The melee seems a bit useless at first, until I actually cracked the manual open (can't remember the last time I did that) I'm sure all this stuff gets tutorialized, but I just jumped right into the MP.

Melee is on the B/O button. You can mash it for a combo that, in my experience so far is kinda unwieldy. You just seem to flail around in a circle, and its hard to aim your slashes. You have directional control over your melee attacks with the left stick, and its kinda awesome to be shooting a dude, while a zombie is sneaking up behind you, and then just pressing down on L and melee, and BACK KICKING THE ZOMBIE IN THE FACE.

When you connect a melee strike to an enemy (human or zombie) they get staggered. When you enemy is staggered. you can press A/X to perform an execution move. This leaves you vulnerable while you are performing the action.

Alternatively, when an enemy is staggered, you can press and hold the B/O button and take them as a meat shield. I have only done this to a zombie, and am unsure if you can do it to other players online.

There is a progression system, and you rank up, with your gained XP leveling you up, and serving as currency for unlocks. These unlocks seem to be active/passive abilities for each character (each character has their own set of 5, it seems) You can pick one ability to go into the match with, and can change character/loadouts on the fly. You can also unlock guns with your XP, but I haven't figured out if this is a per character basis yet.

I'm having fun with it so far, and the multiplayer is interesting and at least a little different than the usual game. Shooting is a bit clunky (I turned up the sensitivity pretty high, that seemed to help)

Seems alright so far. If any of you duders wanna squad up, hit me up, I will probably be playing all day.

(sorry @Sackmanjones I grabbed the 360 version for that dlc, or else I'd totally be playing with you)

Also - I haven't played all the maps/modes yet, but I have yet to see a RCPD map. I figured that would be a no-brainer (pun not intended, but then totally intended)

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Vashyron

Yeah, it seems that most of the reviewers are not impressed with this game at all, but the gaming community seems to enjoy it. I'll probably pick it up when I get paid next week.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.