Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles is an on-rails shooter for the Wii and a follow-up to Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles. The story of Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, as well as a prequel to Resident Evil 4, make up the games three scenarios.

Holy crap. Best Wii graphics I have seen.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

Now that I have seen it on my own screen (32" HDTV), I can safely say that this game easily surpasses Super Mario Galaxy as Wii graphics king.
    I shouldn't be so surprised - images and videos have been circulating the web for some time now, and Capcom has recently started talking very favourably and proudly of their new Wii efforts. 

But christ, this is one of the few games where compressed internet video does not do the game justice. Those were not bullshots, the game really does look like the screen above. 
    What you can not see, for example, is that many surfaces are normal mapped (such as the wooden tiles above, and the water). That the characters have dynamic and self-shadowing all the time. That all on-screen characters are influenced by the many dynamic light sources around the maps. Maps that offer a fair amount of destructability. Lots of the little things that are a given on the HD consoles, but seen very rarely if at all on Nintendo's white box. 
    And the polycount of the characters - the bosses in particular - is beyond anything I have seen on display on the Wii.

It's still a Wii game, it's still fixed at 640x480 and you will not see a single sharp texture (or very detailed normal map) in the whole game. And certainly lots of its shine is due to the fact that the developer is in control of the camera the whole time. But it's impressive nonetheless. 

The gameplay might not be up there, I don't know yet; I'm having fun so far, but its definatly not as user-friendly as Extraction. I'm looking forward to playing (and seeing) more of it.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne said:
    "  It's still a Wii game, it's still fixed at 640x480 "
    I'm actually not to sure about that. The game outputs in 16/9 and when you play it on a standard 4/3 TV it has black bars and the edges are not as sharp as the above screens. Especially the roofs of those huts, on my TV it looks like it is moving. Nonetheless the game looks great, especially indoors.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

Oh, I was expecting good graphics :P

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Willy105

Apparently this game made a Capcom executive retract his statement about RE5 not being possible on Wii.

But I'd rather have a better game have these graphics than RE5 or Extraction.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nanikore

It still looks like crap though.

*runs away*

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Edin899

Im the best at streetfighter 4 !
    Bevinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bevinsky

I really was expecting someone to say "Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?".

It does look pretty good. Perhaps developers have realized how to push the Wii to it's limits.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'm really going to miss those blocky, angular 'stylized' graphics you guys loved for so long.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Willy105

@HandsomeDead said:

" I'm really going to miss those blocky, angular 'stylized' graphics you guys loved for so long. "

I do too, but that was back in the N64 and PS1 days. Maybe it's just my nostalgia goggles though. To someone who has never seen an old 3D game, it may seem like a joke to them.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @HandsomeDead said:

"I'm really going to miss those blocky, angular 'stylized' graphics you guys loved for so long."

Hm? Plenty of great recent releases (Little King's Story, Another Code R, etc) and upcoming games (Red Steel 2, Tales of Graces, Tatsunoko vs CAPCOM, etc) still have a stylised look (and the gaming world is all the better for it, it's a shame we don't get more projects that are stylised with actual art regardless of platform really), though I'm not sure what you mean by blocky and angular as most such games praised on Wii (for their visual flair at least) look pretty smooth (like Galaxy, the games in the previous parentheses, lower-end titles like Wii Sports Resort, or even WiiWare titles like Lost Winds aren't blocky). I guess No More Heroes is a notable mention that is blocky and angular in comparison, then again, it fits with the punk attitude and No More Heroes 2 is coming also and will likely be loved just as much as the original regardless. Not to mention it's just a niche cult classic, not something that charactrerises the platform on its own. So, yeah, make sense please.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Looks nice to me, I remember seeing Super Mario Galaxy and thinking it looked superb, but thats before I sold my Wii.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZenaxPure

It actually looks very nice, just a shame I can't bring myself to pay full price for an on-rails shooter even though I love the genre.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meowayne

Stop flaming, HandsomeDead. There were never really Wii graphics threads in this forum and none of "us" mentioned loving low poly graphics. Great things can be done with them, and Darkside Chronicles is a shining example on good graphics that do not safe a mediocre game.

Graphics are not an issue when I play Wii, and I will continue to advocate putting the least amount of developer ressources into the graphics department. I opened this thread because I was hugely surprised with what they pulled off technically.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Willy105
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " Looks nice to me, I remember seeing Super Mario Galaxy and thinking it looked superb, but thats before I sold my Wii. "
    Why did you sell it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " Looks nice to me, I remember seeing Super Mario Galaxy and thinking it looked superb, but thats before I sold my Wii. "
    Why did you sell it? "
    The only person who liked it was my girlfriend.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Willy105
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    Why did you sell it? "
    The only person who liked it was my girlfriend. "
    Did you sell it her?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    Why did you sell it? "
    Did you sell it her? "
    Nope, I sold it to someone else and then bought her a 360 with Viva Pinata, she probably doesn't know what a Wii is now.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Willy105
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    Why did you sell it? "
    Did you sell it her? "
    Nope, I sold it to someone else and then bought her a 360 with Viva Pinata, she probably doesn't know what a Wii is now. "
    Hopefully she doesn't know what you think of her after you typed that.....even I think that's underestimating how casuals think.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    Why did you sell it? "
    Did you sell it her? "
    Nope, I sold it to someone else and then bought her a 360 with Viva Pinata, she probably doesn't know what a Wii is now. "
    Hopefully she doesn't know what you think of her after you typed that.....even I think that's underestimating how casuals think. "
    She probably doesn't even know how to plug the 360 in, I just get her to cook and clean while she watches me play games.
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Hamst3r

That game has zombie breast jiggle.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm at ign right now looking though the screens fullsize, some of the screens are unimpressive imo and it's at 1280px × 719px resolution? Then again i'm not expecting perfect graphics on the wii, however I know there were really good graphics on nintendo consoles for resident evil zero and resident evil 1 remake.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By DanielJW
    @Hamst3r said:
    " That game has zombie breast jiggle. "
    Sold.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

I'm at ign right now looking though the screens fullsize, some of the screens are unimpressive imo and it's at 1280px × 719px resolution? Then again i'm not expecting perfect graphics on the wii, however I know there were really good graphics on nintendo consoles for resident evil zero and resident evil 1 remake.

Just watch some good quality gameplay videos instead of blown-up bullshots. And yes, you can notice lower end elements depending on the scene (like some awful fruit baskets in the South America first level that are better off removed), it's still impressive as an overall result in motion. Games do look far nicer in motion more often than not, especially if they have good art direction, lighting, animations and stuff happening. I was quite underwhelmed with HoTD: Overkill screenshots but in motion it looks pretty good after all, not nearly as flat and low detail as it seemed to be in random screenshots, especially the characters. Anyway, this looks far beyond RE4 at the very least, so it's a step in the right direction for the Wii for developers that don't want to (or can't, for lack of imagination) do stylised visuals. Developers seem to have forgotten how to make good low end content somehow, at least CAPCOM here shows they remembered that long lost art (lol, more like they actually did effort for once). After MH3 and this, maybe their future Wii games won't be shit like DR: CTYD. Edit: Ops, I forgot this isn't even by CAPCOM themselves, it's by Cavia. But MH3 is.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Snail

Those graphics look worthy of a low budget game for a 360 or PS3. I think I've seen games the PS3/360 with worse graphics than this!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Willy105
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    Why did you sell it? "
    Did you sell it her? "
    Hopefully she doesn't know what you think of her after you typed that.....even I think that's underestimating how casuals think. "
    She probably doesn't even know how to plug the 360 in, I just get her to cook and clean while she watches me play games. "
    Well.....woman's rights are so overrated I guess........
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Griddler

Looks pretty damn good.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Snail said:

"Those graphics look worthy of a low budget game for a 360 or PS3. I think I've seen games the PS3/360 with worse graphics than this"

I haven't seen many low budget games with CAPCOM's sense of art direction and quality. Adding pixel shaders and high res stuff won't necessarily make things better. RE4 or other companies' great but now low end games like MGS2 and SH3 still look overall better than many HD efforts.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JoelTGM

looks good... for a Wii game... meaning if you have been paying attention to the advancements in computer technology at all, that game looks poor.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Willy105
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:

" looks good... for a Wii game... meaning if you have been paying attention to the advancements in computer technology at all, that game looks poor. "

Not really. If you have any knowledge of what you can do with said computer technology, this is not bad at all. It's good-looking to boot as well.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By JJOR64

For a Wii game it looks very impressive.  I love the first one and I might ask for this game for Christmas.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Willy105 said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:

" looks good... for a Wii game... meaning if you have been paying attention to the advancements in computer technology at all, that game looks poor. "

Not really. If you have any knowledge of what you can do with said computer technology, this is not bad at all. It's good-looking to boot as well. "
    yeah that's why I said it looks good for a Wii game, but to me it's like, why work with such awful and lacking computer tech in the first place.  I think the real point here is that... I really shouldn't post in Wii topics anymore because I am admittedly a hater of all that nintendo stands for nowadays. 
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rallier
    @Hamst3r said:

" That game has zombie breast jiggle. "

Really? I noticed it on the main characters (quite a lot (love you capcom)) but I guess that I'm too focussed trying to get head shots to notice it on the zombies. Will definitely pay more attention next time i play it.

@Al3xand3r said:
    " (like some awful fruit baskets in the South America first level that are better off removed) "

They blow up really nicely though ^^
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pause422

Doesnt look all that great to me...I think Galaxy still overall looks like the best game visually.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Willy105
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:

Not really. If you have any knowledge of what you can do with said computer technology, this is not bad at all. It's good-looking to boot as well. "
    yeah that's why I said it looks good for a Wii game, but to me it's like, why work with such awful and lacking computer tech in the first place.  I think the real point here is that... I really shouldn't post in Wii topics anymore because I am admittedly a hater of all that nintendo stands for nowadays.  "
    Wow. That was quick.

Anyway, the Wii is not awful and lacking computer tech. Not by any means. The Atari 2600? Maybe.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CptBedlam

It's a rail shooter, isn't it? Those generally look better because of all the stuff you can clip out. Still nice graphics for the Wii...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Meowayne
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "
    "

Thank you for posting those, they are the screens I meant when I said "those weren't bullshots"; they show off character models and lighting very well. Although I am still looking for that HD image of the first boss.

And yes, of course this is achieved because it is a rails game and the developers were in control of the content on the screen all the time. The impressive texturing and polycount of the bosses in particular is achieved by having the boss battles take place in comparably empty environments and having the second character disappear into the off-screen area. Playing the game you definatly notice that the devs had a set amount of things that could happen per frame and that they move things around a lot to make scenes look as best as possible (so you will rarely see many zombies and lighting effects and character models and effects and dozens of normal mapped surfaces at the same time, but whatever serves the current scene best. 
    This approach is just employed very effectively. A lot of thought and work seems to have gone into making every scene as pretty as it can be.
    But of course it would look considerably worse if the player was in control of the camera.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Al3xand3r

I dunno which is the first boss. Is it the zombosquidosaur thing?

I'm pretty sure they could do a game with comparable visuals without it being a rail shooter. I mean, a lot of it is in cramped environments, halls, corridors, sewers, rooms, so even if you were in control of the camera you couldn't put many things in view, if anything turning around would make you face walls or whatever else, making it less things in view to mess with the frame rate. Sure, the game couldn't revolve around corridors alone but if it was some kind of mansion like RE1 you could make a big part of it in small cramped areas and give the impression of more freedom not by open areas but by having many passageways and doors (dividing the areas like in the old RE games, though not with annoying loading screens but by a near instant fade out/in and appearance in the other side, serving only to separate what the game renders for each scene), etc.

I would say they could do the camera old school giving you a preset view of your surroundings but most would hate that so it could be first person with the gun only showing during reloads as in this rail shooter for even less polygons on screen (different crosshair per gun, and an icon on screen, to make sure you always know what's equipped). Perhaps they could have a few less enemies, but more powerful (maybe similar to Dead Space: Extraction, where it's harder to dispose of each enemy than simply shooting wherever as fast as you can), so that you never feel like running through an area, triggering all the enemies, then accidentally going to a graphics-intensive part of the area with all the enemies on your tail making the frame rate plummet, but instead feel every encounter is an immediate threat you should dispose of right away and not risk giving it back up by moving further ahead where more enemies will become aware of your presence and make things even harder.

Things like that give controlled player movement without making it on rails. Take off a few intensive effects depending on the area (it seems every wall in Darkside Chronicles is a little shiny/reflective, which is cool but wouldn't be necessary for every location), and it seems possible to me. Hell, you could even add some "fake" outdoor/open scenes that are still cramped in practice, being various alleys or yards or whatever else (add different types/amount of enemies too), see how Valve creates levels for their games like Half-Life 2 for an example of how to fake say, a city environment, yet still guide the player along a path no different to a corridor, without many more polygons in view. All that's left is for CAPCOM to want to make the effort. Perhaps porting the Framework engine is a sign. Or, it will lead to more CTYD shit.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Meowayne

I think you are vastly underestimating just how much needs to be sacrificed if you give the player even limited control of the camera, but as we're both not developers, I will not comment on the rest.

Sadly, Capcom has had the only video that showed the greenhouse and the later stages of the game removed from youtube, those looked spectacular, much more impressive than the police station / sewer videos that flood the platform. But I have uploaded this one, showing the game's use of normal mapping. What is seen here is placed all over the environments, enemies and player characters you see:

(off screen camera)
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

Nope, I didn't underestimate anything, especially considering that many of the DSC environments appear to be fully modelled to accomodate the camera's "natural" (yeah I know) motion and how often characters move back to previously visited areas from other paths and angles. I've been involved with development enough to grasp the basics, I used to model a little then gave that up to focus on writing but I still have an interest in such things, I've conversed heavily with people who are now professional modelers or level designers (granted, most of the discussions revolved around particular aspects of design and particular engines like gldsrc, source, ue, torque, and others, but still) so I stand by what I said. Yeah, looks cool.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By Evilsbane

It doesn't matter How Good it looks "For a Wii game" (That phrase should be burned alive) it still looks like shit everything on the Wii will always look like terrible unless its 2D or Super stylized people need to stop making excuses for the system its horribly underpowered and most of the time it looks worse than the damn Gamecube, Presentation IS important people it does matter.  The game can be a ton of fun whatever but just because shit smells like roses doesn't mean it stops looking like shit.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By rallier
    @Evilsbane said:
    " It doesn't matter How Good it looks "For a Wii game" (That phrase should be burned alive) it still looks like shit everything on the Wii will always look like terrible unless its 2D or Super stylized people need to stop making excuses for the system its horribly underpowered and most of the time it looks worse than the damn Gamecube, Presentation IS important people it does matter.  The game can be a ton of fun whatever but just because shit smells like roses doesn't mean it stops looking like shit. "
    I usually do not admit these things but your post made me laugh quite a bit.
    ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Pretty nice graphics, but artistically it is kind of boring.
    My pick for best graphics on the Wii still goes to Super Paper Mario, the game was beautifully unique and simple. 

No Caption Provided
    Very nice.
    Very nice.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Meowayne

Evilsbane, I feel "this looks fantastic!" moments on the Wii just like I do on the 360, on DS or on my mobile phone, whether it is technically or artistically impressive or both. How can you not judge how good a game looks by the system that it's on?

In fact, I felt more graphics-whorey and more impressed visually by the Darkside Chronicles than I felt with Batman: AA, which I'm also playing at the moment. Sure, Batman looks better, but it did not make me say "Holy crap, look at that." 

RE:DC did.

Super Mario Galaxy is impressive technically and artistically. I was more taken in and more entertained by that game's visuals than by many HD titles I played.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Meowayne

Hm, as I have now reached the part that I wanted to show, I have tried filming it with my own bad cam, off-screen. The result is, well, fairly unusable, but what the heck. Its really a shame the direct stream of that part was deleted off youtube.

No Caption Provided
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Willy105

Well, my pick goes to Sonic and the Black Knight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.