Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 02, 2011

A standalone package version of the popular "The Mercenaries" minigame from the Resident Evil series for the Nintendo 3DS.

Capcom: Used Games 'Not a Factor' in Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D Lacking Data Reset

• 181 results
    Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By Slither_Maggot
    @OllyOxenFree: 100% agreement.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By toowalrus

God damn it, Capcom! If you didn't make such quality games, I wouldn't buy your products on principle!!

...oh, this is that Mercenaries game, and not the Resident Evil 5 prequel? I wasn't going to buy this game anyway.

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By captainfish

Yeah, unless you really really want to experience having less levels and characters, I don't see what the issue is. Sure it's shitty, but it's more akin to not being able to reset unlocked characters in a fighting game or songs in a music game, than it is like not being able to start a new zelda play through. It could be argued that some of those unlocks are kind of annoying to go through, so this could be an incentive for some people.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By yukoasho
    @Napalm said:
    Hey, guess who still doesn't care about the 3DS or anything related to it? ME!
    *Raises hand* Me too!

I don't get why anyone would be upset about this.  Let's see them do that in a game that actually matters.
    xchaos12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By xchaos12

@Toad_King: I find that to be a little myopic. I know I will personally start games over, completely, to 'unlock' stuff again. I don't believe there are many gamers these days who are purely motivated by time trials or simply getting the 'high score' in a single player situation. A lot of people do find fun in the 'unlocking' progression part of the game.

Either way, it's silly to not have it in there in the first place, whether or not a lot of people actually would do it.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By LiquidPrince

Good thing I wasn't going to buy this anyways...

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#57  Edited By Hizang

A small percentage of people will like this feature though right? If you go and buy a used copy and you already have all the characters and stages etc, plus you have timesto beat it's a pretty decent package.

Chronopolian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Chronopolian

´"Secondhand game sales were not a factor in this development decision" 
    That´s utter bullshit... We all know that was the main reason Capcom did this. Funny thing is, in the end, in a game like this, which offers no significant story mode, getting a used copy wouldn´t really matter that much since you could pretty much start playing every stage with every available character without the need of unlocking anything at all, just focusing on what the game is for... achieving high scores...

Avatar image for lesenfantterrible
    lesenfantterrible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i support it. if they would have admitted that its because of used games then that would be great but this is a great thing to make sure that game profits actually go to the DEVELOPER and PUBLISHER!!! NOT FUCKING GAMESTOP or EB GAMES!!! kudos Capcom.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By TorMasturba

Well this's moronic for core gamers, capcoms' main audience, but I can see why they're doing it, unfortunately for them since it is so moronic I now refuse to buy it out of principle.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jace

This game should be boycotted as fuck.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Jace

@Juno500 said:

I don't really see what the big problem is, this game doesn't have a campaign mode or anything. The point of the game is to play the stages and get high scores, just like the Mercenaries mode in RE4 and 5. All deleting data would really do is reset the high scores. Not that the option shouldn't be there, but I don't see how this ruins the game.

It isn't about ruining the game, it's the principal of the idea.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Yeah... a person should always be in control of their own save data. People have a wide variety of reasons as to why they would want a fresh file to play on, and taking that option away is kind of fucked. Really interested in hearing more from Capcom on this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#64  Edited By Hailinel

@Jace said:

This game should be boycotted as fuck.

Because you can't reset your save data?

Seems like an overreaction.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By Juno500

I think being able to reset your save data should have been allowed, but this isn't worthy of a boycott.

LittleBigJono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By LittleBigJono

I couldn't care less but this does kinda smell like bullshit if there isn't some legit reason

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By shinigami420

Great job reporting on old news your 2 days to late patrick

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By patrick

@shinigami420 said:

Great job reporting on old news your 2 days to late patrick

The news is the statement, not the data reset issue.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#69  Edited By makari

With a game like this, you lose absolutely nothing from not being able to delete the data unless you're planning to sell it. Well... I guess you only get the 'you unlocked map 23!' splash screen once, maybe some people will be angry about that.

WrathOfBanja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By WrathOfBanja

Capcom is full of shit. Nuff said.

PrinceLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PrinceLeon

Don't care. I have no reason to erase my save for a game like this.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By FightMeNerd

@Deusoma said:

@BadNews said:

So how is there progress in RE:TM? Everytime I hear or see it I see missions and such but it all seems like score based gameplay. Is there some sort of leveling up or upgrade mechanic in the game?

If it's like the versions of The Mercenaries from RE 4 and 5, you'll be unlocking new characters and levels as you get high scores in different levels and as different characters. Other than that, I'm not sure.

So how is that a negative?

Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Hilbert

So now a used copy of mercenaries comes with better scores to beat.  Make sure you name your profile something like Leon or Ada instead of KitfistoXXX

thecombine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By thecombine

i love how they called it a "feature". 

thecombine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By thecombine

still buying it tomorrow, but this cover up is still hilarious.

Junkion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Junkion

Capcom also had odd requirements to be online to play certain PSN games didn't theg? Not a great track record of putting paying customers first...

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#77  Edited By DrRandle

Oh my god again? Really? And from you, of all people, Patrick? I thought you were better than this hype train.

This game does not have a visible "progress." It has high scores, and maybe some character unlocks. This game is not like Resident Evil 4 or 5 where you can just play through a story. It's like Geometry Wars, where your goal is to get a high score by replaying levels. That's it. This is like saying "What if you handed your copy of Street Fighter IV over to your friend?!" The most he would have to do is unlock all the characters, which I remind you, came unlocked in the 3DS version of the game anyhow.

Now if this kind of thing shows up in, say, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries, I can understand it's quite a bit different of a story. But as it stands, with this game, there's no real point to a clear data.

And really, what is the harm in limiting used sales to people? What? You're not going to buy a game used that Capcom was never going to get money for? I'm sure they really feel that loss. It's not like other companies haven't been doing WAY WORST things than preventing a data reset on a game that doesn't even need it in the first place.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#78  Edited By Floppypants

I can't say I was ever going to buy this game, but I'll be paying attention to how quickly this fiasco leads to a price cut after launch. I think this gripe goes away when new copies are selling for $20.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Jadeskye

I only possess limited knowledge in the field of memory technology. But something you can save to but not delete.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist!

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By betterboulder

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Detrian
    @DrRandle said:

Oh my god again? Really? And from you, of all people, Patrick? I thought you were better than this hype train.

This game does not have a visible "progress." It has high scores, and maybe some character unlocks. This game is not like Resident Evil 4 or 5 where you can just play through a story. It's like Geometry Wars, where your goal is to get a high score by replaying levels. That's it. This is like saying "What if you handed your copy of Street Fighter IV over to your friend?!" The most he would have to do is unlock all the characters, which I remind you, came unlocked in the 3DS version of the game anyhow.

Now if this kind of thing shows up in, say, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries, I can understand it's quite a bit different of a story. But as it stands, with this game, there's no real point to a clear data.

And really, what is the harm in limiting used sales to people? What? You're not going to buy a game used that Capcom was never going to get money for? I'm sure they really feel that loss. It's not like other companies haven't been doing WAY WORST things than preventing a data reset on a game that doesn't even need it in the first place.

Except the game does have progression in the form of a skill tree and custom weapon loadouts.
    Avatar image for irishmarkerhead
    Irishmarkerhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Irishmarkerhead

Seriously uncool, not to mention seriously unclear :$

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#83  Edited By alistercat

This presents yet another example of publishers making gaming in to a transient form of media and not thinking about legacy (not that they should care since lgacy won't make them money). I can pick up any classic mario or zelda game and not worry about this, yet anyone who wants to play this after production has ceased is screwed.

Jabbawocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 16

#84  Edited By Jabbawocky

They probably realised that their glorified bonus game from Resi Evil 4 and 5 wasn't going to sell so well at full retail price. I like Mercenaries but as an addition opposed to a stand alone game.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#85  Edited By Brackynews

@jadeskye: It does exist in fact, and quite normal in this industry. But it makes no real sense using PROMs for game saves. I will bet 39.99 that it's a software design, and not as though Nintendo makes multiple types of flash cartridges.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#86  Edited By paulunga

That's fine, I can always just get a Superkard 3DS (or whatever they're called) and the delete the .sav file directly. Capcom really doesn't need more of my money.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By kelbear

Heh, liiiiiiiaaaaaaarrrsssss.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#88  Edited By ajamafalous

Guys, the issue is that if this isn't met with resistance then other publishers might think they can get away with it too and it could make its way into games where it does actually matter.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#89  Edited By DJJoeJoe
    @LittleBigJono said:
    I couldn't care less but this does kinda smell like bullshit if there isn't some legit reason
    Yea like Patrick has said wtf is the point, it doesn't affect anyone other than people using the game second hand and it doesn't seem to have any reasonable up side or feature that justifies it's existence compared to every other game that doesn't seem to do this. 

Also what's up with the terrible comments, usually I feel safe glancing through giantbomb comments and forums once in a while (I'm not really a comment reader most of the time) but there are some real dumb stuff here. You guys should think about what you're saying, and feel free to just not post it if it's going to make you sound like your berating a high school chum for 'being too gay' or whatever.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#90  Edited By Daveyo520

Don't mind.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By penguindust

Looks like Capcom doesn't like sharing.  Mom will have to buy each kid their own copy if they want to play.   Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D plus 8.

GaZZuM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#92  Edited By GaZZuM

This is bullshit! Especially for a game that looked like a rental AT BEST!

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Jadeskye

@Brackynews said:

@jadeskye: It does exist in fact, and quite normal in this industry. But it makes no real sense using PROMs for game saves. I will bet 39.99 that it's a software design, and not as though Nintendo makes multiple types of flash cartridges.

programable roms? sure i'll buy it but it still makes no sense as a save feature. This is a way to stop buy-backs and they won't even admit that.

craig588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By craig588

What happens if you just pull out the cartridge or possibly the system battery while it's saving? If the data gets corrupted there's no way to reset that and start over either? You just won't be saving anymore?

Not like it's a great thing to do, but It must be resettable if it somehow becomes corrupted.

radioactivez0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#95  Edited By radioactivez0r

I had just assumed that spending $40 on a time attack game also netted you the ability to do whatever the fuck you want with your own save game files.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Vexxan

What a bunch of bullshit.

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By kreeztoff

I was already pretty much decided on not picking up this game, but this just seems low. Like others have said, Capcom really has no good reason as to why the save files are untouchable.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Ulong

A good impartial new article would talk about the nature of the gameplay and why it may or may not be a big deal to you that you can't delete your save. I get there's some limited progress in this game, but it's essentially like complaining that you can't delete your save file in pacman, to me anyway.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By prestonhedges
    @Detrian said:
    @DrRandle said:

Except the game does have progression in the form of a skill tree and custom weapon loadouts.
    Wouldn't most people want that shit unlocked from the beginning anyway
    rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By rawrz

I never understood all the hatred for used games. For a game to be used it had to have been new at one time or another so all this crying over them and ways of trying to kill of that market is just greedy. The company already seen there cut of that used game sale when it sold for new the first time. I for one like to buy used games or new games at lowered prices months later just because to many games these days are short or lacking in content and not worth no $60.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.