Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Another upcoming E3, another Resident Evil 7 rumour.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Yup, it's that time of the year folks! Just about every year since the release of Resident Evil 6 as we near E3 comes complete with its own helping of Resident Evil 7 rumours. What they mostly tend to revolve around is that firstly it's to be announced at E3, and how it's going to take the series ''back to its roots''. Resident Evil going ''back to its roots'' has practically lost all meaning at this point, even with just about every new actual Resident Evil release does Capcom themselves throw in the line somewhere in there. It's pretty much a rite of passage these days - it's not officially a Resident Evil thing unless there's been a promise of ''roots''.

Anywhoo... why even make a thread about this then? Well because it seems this latest Resident Evil 7 rumour may not be entirely unfounded. CEO of Japanese video game consultancy firm Kantan Games, Serkan Toto, publicly claimed on Twitter that a Resident Evil 7 is in development, will premiere at E3, and will go back to its horror roots and essentially function as a clean slate - AKA the long-demanded reboot the series could certainly do with.

Furthermore, Capcom themselves have gone on record in claiming the second half of this year will involve a ''full-scale offensive''. Which sounds mildly terrifying. But on the other hand, given that this is also the 20th anniversary of the series, maybe an RE7 that harkens back to at the very least the atmosphere of the earlier games isn't completely nonsensical. Capcom have also apparently hired Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain and P.T. designer Jordan Amaro, which given his association with PT would line up with Capcom's supposed desire to take the series back to its horror beginnings.

Now, setting aside the rumour thing, what perplexes me is that an ''RE7'' is even happening at all. It wasn't that long ago that a fully formed remake of Resident Evil 2 was announced, to which is surely receiving the same attention and resources as a full priced Resident Evil release. I looked upon the upcoming RE2 remake as, for all intents & purposes, ''RE7''. So, if these rumours come to fruition, Capcom are potentially developing both?

If that is to be the case, that would mean the RE2 remake likely receives the shorter end of the stick. But consequently this would also mean that the RE2 remake would thusly have more chance of actually going back to the series roots. I mean, they're pretty damn obligated after all with this one - an RE2 remake without camera angles I'm sure would set off a lot heated disagreements to say the least. So I concluded that RE2 would provide the old school chills I and many others are starved for, at the cost of a smaller budget, while RE7 continues on with the action side of things.

...But now RE7 is supposedly gearing up to head down to spooky town?? So could they both be heading back to the roots?? Are there even enough roots to be shared amongst them?? Maybe RE7 and RE2 are still one in the same?? Maybe one is being developed by a different studio??

I have now officially spent far too much time pondering the possibilities of the latest in a never ending string of Resident Evil 7 rumours. And I did it all for the roots.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Really hope they finally show it off. And yes, despite the impending avalanche of "RE6 is a garbage game that should burn in Hell", I still thought it was one of my top 2 games that year. Even if it is more of an RE4 (one of my least favorites of the main series) situation story-wise, I'm still all for a full blown sequel to finally come out.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BoOzak

I like RE2 a great deal but would doing to that what capcom did the original suffice as a remake these days? Is that what people want? Did those origin collections sell well? I only ask because I think that will reflect what an RE7 ends up being. Personally I thought The Evil Within filled the void of a new RE pretty well. But i'm more an RE4 fan.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think at this point it would be best if they just rebooted the series and actually brought things back to the old-school. I can't wait for the RE2 Remake, and the inevitable RE3 Remake down the road, but those do nothing for the future of the franchise. Considering how much Capcom poisoned the well with RE5 and every other half-assed RE games since then, does anyone really care about RE7 at this point besides the die-hard lunatics like us? Probably not. I have a feeling that if Capcom wants to win back the mainstream they need to show tons of good faith with the upcoming remake and then go back to the well for a total reboot, or make RE7 so damn good that everyone forgets about post-RE4 Resident Evil games.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@boozak said:

I like RE2 a great deal but would doing to that what capcom did the original suffice as a remake these days? Is that what people want? Did those origin collections sell well? I only ask because I think that will reflect what an RE7 ends up being. Personally I thought The Evil Within filled the void of a new RE pretty well. But i'm more an RE4 fan.

The remake remastering sold pretty well I'm to believe (like 1M copies on its first week) and was Capcom's ''fastest selling digital release ever'', for whatever that's worth. Don't know how Zero's remaster done, though.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just have to wonder what the gameplay will look like. I feel as though RE6 was actually a really fantastic 3rd action-shooter that was bogged down by less than stellar execution.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.