Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Capcom: Resident Evil Fans in Their Late 30s, 40s...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Quote from Capcom.jp's blog "Special Feature: The Secret of Success"

The longevity of the "Resident Evil" title also comes with problems. The main user group is now in their late-30s to 40s, and the average age is also going up as the series goes on with an increasing possibility that some percentage of the existing users will outgrow games altogether. Therefore, there is a constant need to gain new users, and the creation of opportunities for exposure in fashion magazines was carried out as an example. However, obviously game information is not carried by fashion magazines.

Therefore, we have created opportunities for receiving coverage in fashion magazines by collaborating with fashion brands which are popular among young people. We are also actively working on spreading name recognition among non-gamers through expansion in other industries, including the "Halloween Horror Night" event in alliance with Universal Studios Japan (USJ) and the opening of the "Resident Evil Café and Grill S.T.A.R.S." (a "Resident Evil"-themed restaurant) in Shibuya PARCO, Tokyo. These collaborative events are opportunities to be enjoyed by non-gamers as well, so it is important to plan them so that anyone can enjoy them and not aim them at a section of our core gamers.

Moreover, while running events for these kinds of casual users, we launched "Club 96", the official fan club for our core gamers. As a forum for the direct dissemination of information, including holding the annual members-only Premium Party, it serves as a bridge between developers and users.

"Resident Evil" has gained unwavering popularity through diverse expansion regardless of region and generation.

Yo, we are getting mad old! So old, Capcom fears we'll die away. It now recruits new fans with product placements in trendy fashion magazines and with Milla Jovovich movies. What if that isn't enough? Resident Evil Chibi? S.T.A.R.S. Waifu Academy?

Anyways, I guess it's good to know what goes through Capcom.jp's head. Food for thought. And don't die. Think about all the games that'll die with you. You monsters!

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By BBAlpert

@seppli said:

What if that isn't enough? Resident Evil Chibi?

The makers of Etrian Odyssey present Resident Evil Q!

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How dare they!? I'm in my early thirties thank you very much...

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah... I'm guessing they're at least a little off base...

No Caption Provided

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

Nuttin' dem young'uns love more than QTEs and crappy gunplay, amiright.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@yummylee said:

Nuttin' dem young'uns love more than QTEs and crappy gunplay, amiright.

Gee-howdy do they! I hear micromatractions are also a big ol hit with the chitlins.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

All that is well and good but it doesn't require you to change the essential genre of the series from survival horror to dumb action.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By Danteveli

That Resident Evil restaurant is pretty cool so maybe I'm not that old.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I played Resident Evil, my controller was made of wood and powered by coal.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Didn't somebody in the comic industry say something very similar? (Not about Resident Evil, obviously.)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Maybe just make better games.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The Japanese are into fashion in a very weird way. If Capcom want younger player they need to make a better game as a first step.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@nasar7 said:

All that is well and good but it doesn't require you to change the essential genre of the series from survival horror to dumb action.

Yeah that was my thought.

At least Resident Evil 5 was just really a co-op take on 4 (yes more action, but still based on a great game. And it wasn't bad).

But Resident Evil 6 definitely went too far. Lets see if they can get the series back on track. I hope they realize it isn't CoD or Uncharted.

But I definitely still remember that awful Resident Evil PS1 box art in my case, which I'd look at and just laugh. The first two games especially were big for me though. I even read two Resident Evil novels. That's pretty funny to think back on.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't somebody in the comic industry say something very similar? (Not about Resident Evil, obviously.)

A lot of people in other industries say this very same thing. "Man it is so hard creating things that the fans of a long running series would like".

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe they are forgetting about people who joined the series at RE4? I loved that game and im only 24. Then again they already lost me, that was the only one I really liked. I played 5 and it was ok but it didn't do it for me. Also I don't know they really need to keep making RE games. Though I also thing they are probably mostly thinking of fans in japan.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Maybe they are forgetting about people who joined the series at RE4? I loved that game and im only 24. Then again they already lost me, that was the only one I really liked. I played 5 and it was ok but it didn't do it for me. Also I don't know they really need to keep making RE games. Though I also thing they are probably mostly thinking of fans in japan.

I'm 24 and I played the first RE right when it came out. Don't have to be old to be a fan like that.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By pr1mus

Late 30s?

They're assuming that most people waited until 17 to start playing RE. They shouldn't do that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.