Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Did Resident Evil Die with RE4?

• 90 results
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#51  Edited By ReyGitano

Nothing has died here. They're certainly still making Resident Evil games, multiple at the same time in fact. Reviews are decent and the games still sell well.

Don't be all Hipster up in here talking about how things have died or sold out because they changed the mechanics to make the game more accessible.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#52  Edited By Yummylee
    @HandsomeDead said:
    Resident Evil 5 is the real killer. RE4 took the gameplay in the right direction and the story in the wrong direction but RE5 ruined both in irredeemable ways.
    Usually I'd write up some long-winded rant about how I kinda both loved and hated so many factors of the series as it progressed from RE4 onwards, but this here sums it all up nicely. 

Though I cannot leave out how fucking insanely stupid of a decision it was to turn RE5 into some kinda cover-based third person shooter nearing the end. I found the game pretty fun throughout the first few sections, purposely tuning out the hate-brigade I had screaming inside of how the series has been turned upside down by this point, but once you hit the part where the majini got guns... I lost it. I'm pretty sure I just put down the pad for about an hour and turned the PS3 off.
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By copycatzen

@Abyssfull said:

@HandsomeDead said:
    Resident Evil 5 is the real killer. RE4 took the gameplay in the right direction and the story in the wrong direction but RE5 ruined both in irredeemable ways.
    Usually I'd write up some long-winded rant about how I kinda both loved and hated so many factors of the series as it progressed from RE4 onwards, but this here sums it all up nicely.

Though I cannot leave out how fucking insanely stupid of a decision it was to turn RE5 into some kinda cover-based third person shooter nearing the end. I found the game pretty fun throughout the first few sections, purposely tuning out the hate-brigade I had screaming inside of how the series has been turned upside down by this point, but once you hit the part where the majini got guns... I lost it. I'm pretty sure I just put down the pad for about an hour and turned the PS3 off.

Enemies were using dynamites, catapults, bows and arrows, and turrets in RE4. If any, using guns it's easier for them. But I agree with you, the fact that zombies were no longer zombies, but puppets was the moment RE was no longer what we all used to love. I still enjoyed the last games. Hopefully, crossing fingers, RE6 will bring back somehow the nostalgia of the originals.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#54  Edited By Yummylee
    @copycatzen said:

@Abyssfull said:

@HandsomeDead said:

Enemies were using dynamites, catapults, bows and arrows, and turrets in RE4. If any, using guns it's easier for them. But I agree with you, the fact that zombies were no longer zombies, but puppets was the moment RE was no longer what we all used to love. I still enjoyed the last games. Hopefully, crossing fingers, RE6 will bring back somehow the nostalgia of the originals.

Yeah, I know, that third act on the Island sucked a fair bit during RE4 as well. But it wasn't so obviously trying to be like a third person shooter, with Chris leaning against walls, and fighting against enemies with those AK's was whole different dimension of WTFuckery than using crossbows. It's at that point that RE5 drifted into a major identity crisis, with it's slow and sluggish survival horror controls within battles that featured people shooting rockets and rattling you with bullets.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By kingzetta

I thought RE5 was awesome, whats your deal?

Hargreaves93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Hargreaves93

The gameplay styles pre RE4 and post RE4 are to different to be able to class RE4 and 5 as traditional RE games. The games by themselves are amazing however, I am much more a fan of the old style of games purely because I grew up with them. I'm not taking away the fact that RE4 AND 5 were good games, hell, I musta put in 60 hours in 5 because I love replaying that game. I just prefer the older, scarier, more suspense filled style and I'm still hoping that they remake RE2 and 3. REmake was my favourite version of any game in ther series.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By Entreri10

I think RE4 was the top of the RE franchise but I don't think it died with that, I actually really liked RE5 and based on the demo Revelations is going to be pretty good too.

Also Operation Raccoon City looks like it'll be pretty interesting as well.

Alexandruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By Alexandruxx

no

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By EightBitShik

I honestly was a fan of the games before 4 but not enough to play through them because they were a bit hard for me and a bit slow. I'm not hating on them because I see the appeal but it was 4 and even 5 for me that really got me into the universe though I agree that lack of them being "zombies" is a shame but let's face it they are still zombish which people have been complaining that there are too many zombies games and it's getting old but yet they knock RE for trying something different.

So I am excited about RE6.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By Hizang

Resident Evil 5 is great, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles is great, Resident Evil 3DS looks to be great. What the fuck are you talking about, do you want them to go back to the shitty controls and frustrating gameplay?

I am also a supporter of the modern Sonic games over the old Sonic games, just to be clear.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mazik765

This is when I pop in and say 'I really liked RE5' and you all tell me 'Shut your whorish mouth'

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ShaggE

RE never died, it just changed drastically. The quality is still there.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

RE5 was awesome, unlimited rocket launcher in co-op for the win.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By CL60

All I want is a realistic zombie survival game with slow moving zombies.

Why is this never done? I thought Dead Island was possibly going to be sort of like that when the first trailer came out. But it turned out being nothing like that.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By phish09

RE4 is the best Resident Evil game, if that is what you are asking. In other words, the series has gotten worse since that game came out, but the franchise is far from being dead. In fact I think they are putting out some kind of RE 3DS game this year.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Sooty

@Hizang said:

Resident Evil 5 is great, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles is great, Resident Evil 3DS looks to be great. What the fuck are you talking about, do you want them to go back to the shitty controls and frustrating gameplay?

I am also a supporter of the modern Sonic games over the old Sonic games, just to be clear.

Just to go back to the zombie focused storylines. Copy the shooting and feel of Dead Space, it will be much better.

The gunplay in 4 and 5 sucked. No feedback at all and every enemy died in the same way, that stupid bounce backwards through the air animation. Even though the controls are horrible in the older games at least firing a pistol had some sort of feedback to it, in RE4/5 firing a pistol feels like using a BB gun. The remake of Resident Evil on Gamecube is how the series should go, with 3D camera, tighter gunplay and being able to walk and shoot. The art and environments in that remake are SUPERB.

@phish09 said:

RE4 is the best Resident Evil game

Having better controls doesn't make it better than RE2.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BlackLagoon

It's really odd to see people talk about Resident Evil's "death" when RE4 and RE5 are the two best selling games in the franchise. If anything, the brands continued success increases the odds of more traditional content like "Lost in Nightmares" and "Revelations" being produced.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Resident Evil 5 was a disappointment but wasn't a bad game.  I felt the same way with Resident Evil 3 because it wasn't a huge leap forward in game play and the story was just ok.    Not counting the shitty price, I hear the soon to be released 3DS Resident Evil game is actually pretty good.  The Resident Evil series is no stranger to shitty games.  Did anyone play Resident Evil Gaiden or the PS1 Resident Evil FPS? 

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#69  Edited By Hizang
    @Sooty I don't want zombies, I was happy to see different creatures in 4 and 5. I don't want zombies in my Resident Evil anymore, weird I know but why have zombies when you can have these other guys?
    Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By Creigz

I felt they were both true Resident Evil games in how the stories panned out, 4 less as such, but I still loved 4, it was a fantastic game (One of my number one favorites of all time next to Chrono Trigger and Ocarina..), and I completed it 100% a couple of times now and have gotten everything for it on both Gamecube and Wii. Resident Evil 5 had a more expected storyline style, but it wasn't as intriguing as I would have liked, but I still enjoyed the game none the less, I've wanted to do the co-op for it but I have not bothered to play it again because I just don't want to. I will be buying Code Veronica X and 4 on my Xbox soon, and just destroying those two again for some nostalgia.

I didn't mind Chris "Boulder punching" Redfield that much, and Leon "Lippy Sarcastic Fuck" Scott Kenned either, kinda liked Leon's new persona. Overall they were still a true Resident Evil experience for me, but just a different method. I like them none the less and will continue playing, especially since 6 has posters up now in some countries, and that new Left 4 Dead-like game that they're making looks like fun. I'll get that too while I'm at it.

That brings the truth forward, these guys will keep changing the games to change how they operate, even if they have the right formula. To keep it fresh, more or less. They did the new aiming and control method, and now have the issue of some strange feel and story is a bit different, they can change it easily though, with just some minor re-adjustments of how the game is. Soon enough they will be back on track with fantastic games. They did the right kind of story for 5, good controls, and all but it didn't feel right, re4 was good for story and controls, and felt really good and fluid, but I want regular zombies. Now we don't get regular zombies because of how much easier it would be now to kill those slow moving guys. Static camera made it harder to beat those crazy slow ones.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#71  Edited By Deranged

No, Resident Evil 4 was a masterpiece but Resident Evil 5 was still very much enjoyable. It just didn't meet the standards of it's predecessor.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kingzetta

nope

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Khann said:

@Klei said:

Like most things, most people hate change. Change is weird, different, and pops the comfort bubble.

I really hate when people say this, as it seems to suggest that change is always a good thing.

"They hate it because it's different." but they forget to say "Because they really liked what they had before."

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#74  Edited By Sooty

@Hizang said:

@Sooty I don't want zombies, I was happy to see different creatures in 4 and 5. I don't want zombies in my Resident Evil anymore, weird I know but why have zombies when you can have these other guys?

Well when I said that I meant mutants, Resident Evil has always had an okay mix of enemy types. (despite the bulk being zombies)

The enemies in 4 & 5 were just encroaching way more on gigantic monsters and so forth that don't really fall in line with the series. I preferred the older games where everything was pretty much just a mutation of humans or animals. (with some exceptions like Nemesis, still quite humanlike)

Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By Creigz

@Sooty said:

@Hizang said:

Well when I said that I meant mutants, Resident Evil has always had an okay mix of enemy types. (despite the bulk being zombies)

The enemies in 4 & 5 were just encroaching way more on gigantic monsters and so forth that don't really fall in line with the series. I preferred the older games where everything was pretty much just a mutation of humans or animals. (with some exceptions like Nemesis, still quite humanlike)

I agree with this 100%. Now the alternative to this statement is that they are looking to give you a sense of vulnerability through scale as with the analog controls you will feel confident against similarly sized enemies that you aren't familiar with in the series, take RE5 for example, they used Wesker and I found him a bit difficult in the first fight with him, and I was a bit nervous going into it, just because I knew what would happen and how Wesker was. It's harder for them to make something that can make you go "oh shit" these days, so they're trying to use scale to do it. Facing El Gigante was a bit of an "oh really?" moment for me and I found it pretty fun and intense at times.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#76  Edited By Sackmanjones

No

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy
    @Grumbel said:
    Resident Evil 4 still has tank controls, the only thing that really changes in the controls is that you can now aim analog, instead of the stupid up/center/down digital aim in the other Resident Evils. In terms of gameplay, I don't think it is the obscure cameras that define Resident Evil, its the free form exploration. In the early Resident Evil games there is nothing that pulls you into any specific direction, you simply go explore the house, unlock a door here and there and solve a whole bunch of puzzles. All of that is missing in Resident Evil 4 and 5, puzzles are barely existing, backtracking is close to non-existent and everything is very focused on getting from A to B. Another thing that changed in RE4 is the story, it simply had nothing to do with the previous games, there was still Leon, but he didn't behave like Leon, the whole setting felt odd and un-RE like. Resident Evil 5 returned a bit to what I expect from a RE game story wise, but still wasn't all to interesting.   Anyway, all that said: Yes, RE pretty much died with RE4, in RE5 there are a few things that link back to the original games (especially the DLC), but its all not very well developed and its still mostly a RE4 game, then classic RE.
    This pretty much sums up to what I've been saying about the problems with RE these days. RE has always been a action-adventure series to me, not a 3rd person shooter that RE5 tried to be. I will admit, I like RE5 as a fun action game, but as a RE game, LMFAO.

Even with the updated controls, Lost in Nightmares felt like the good RE experience. And it had nothing to do with the fact that it had a lot of references to the original game. 
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By blueduck

I liked the way they did they old games but I still think RE4 was a good game. I really wish they just made both kinds instead of one. Oh and RE5 was an abortion.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#79  Edited By psykhophear

I would say so. Resident Evil 4 was a big departure from its predecessors but I think RE5 made it worse with its broad daylight environment and non-scary atmosphere. Though I also believe 4 is one of the most impressive and influential games of all time, I find the game too repetitive and easy. The lack of ink ribbons, item boxes and zombies ruined the Resident Evil experience in my opinion and though the game has a few shocking moments, I don't find them as scary as the original PlayStation games. A lot of people hated the fixed-camera angles that thought never crossed my mind. I loved the fixed-camera perspective because it helps to create a claustrophobic situation that 4 and 5 failed to produce. But having said that, the idea of using this perspective to these sequels would not be a good idea. It would most likely make 4 and 5 be outdated and irrelevant to this modern era of gaming.

Resident Evil 4 was a dramatic change to the franchise and although these changes saved the series' name, the game did not wow me as much as Resident Evil 2 did to me years ago. I still miss playing Resident Evil games that stayed to true to the Survival Horror genre and I'm pleased that the upcoming Resident Evil 6 is going back to its original roots.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#80  Edited By copycatzen

No sir!

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@di: think you might be a few years late on this one bud.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old thread that was resurrected by a someone finding this though a Google search, but, whatever.

RE5 is still a pretty good co-op game and RE7 was pretty awesome.

There is no RE6. They skipped a number for some reason.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy necro Batman!

Oobir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God bless ya, One-Post Googlers, your necros of decade-old threads always put a smile on my face.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sargex: mostly referring to that fact that this thread is 6 years old, but okay.

DI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danishingact: Anyone can see the date, in any case of being something against the policies of use, then they should close the Thread if that is really the case.

lou_chou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice little trip down memory lane here

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Resident Evil 4 made good on what Resident Evil 2 started. RE2 was already an action game where you didn't have to worry about item management because there were more ammo and healing items around every corner, but still had the static camera and tank controls holding it back so it was just a kind of shitty action game. I'll never understand why it's so beloved when it's such a dumbing down of what Resident Evil 1 achieved.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The RE series seems fairly successful as a whole so I wouldn't say it ever
    "died" though as a fan I lost interest at RE4 and didn't enjoy again until RE7.
    I liked the antics of Code Veronica too, and the RE1 Remake and I'm looking forward to RE2: Remake.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, 4 was the last great one in the old style. 5 was really fun but only in co-op. 6 was pure trash. I haven't played 7. the remake of 2 look good

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully OP changed his mind in the last 6 years.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.