I want to get into the Resident Evil series...

• 67 results
#1 Edited by JoeyRavn (5287 posts) -

... but I have no idea how or where I should begin. I've never played a Resident Evil game before, but I've been meaning to since Resident Evil 4 got so much universal praise. With which versions should I start? Which games should I avoid? I was thinking I could go with something like this:

I'm purposely avoiding RE4 on Wii because... well, I know that it's a great version, but I'm kinda lazy and I don't know if I'll be able to endure the whole game with the Wiimote. I don't know what to do with RE3, to be honest. There's no remake or "enhanced port", right?

Any RE connoisseur would care to enlighten me, please?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Edited by Zacagawea (1681 posts) -

Definitely not a connoisseur of RE, but I started with RE5 and generally feel okay about it. Although, it is super hard to go back to the old ones after that.

If you actually want to give a shit about that crazy story, (I definitely didn't) start with the first one because logic.

#3 Edited by psykhophear (1277 posts) -

A newcomer to the Resident Evil franchise? Then may I recommend playing the games in their chronological order. I strongly suggest that you play either Resident Evil 1 or 0 first so that you will have a strong appreciation of the franchise's original roots and also to understand the storyline better.

Added in this list is Code Veronica X. It's a continuation of 2 and 3 and it has crucial plot lines that you need to know.

EDITED:

#4 Posted by Marokai (3711 posts) -

Don't be afraid to play the Wii version of RE4; motion controls aren't required. You can play it with a GC controller and/or a classic controller as far as I remember, and it is the definitive retail package of that game.

#5 Edited by AndrewB (7816 posts) -

I pretty much started with Resident Evil 4, but I haven't ever gotten particularly far into it. I feel like pretty much anyone into video games has been exposed to enough of the plot to get a basic grasp of everything up to that point, and RE 4 also happens to be the gameplay basis for games after that, so I figure it's a decent place to start.

If you're avoiding RE 4 on Wii, you can play either the Gamecube or PS2 versions which are so similar it shouldn't matter. I guess that point depends on what controller you prefer. I just figure you can pick up the older console versions cheaper than the XBLA version, though perhaps not cheap enough to affect your decison.

#6 Posted by JTB123 (1274 posts) -

@Psykhophear said:

A newcomer to the Resident Evil franchise? Then may I recommend playing the games in their chronological order. I strongly suggest that you play either Resident Evil 1 or 0 first so that you will have a strong appreciation of the franchise's original roots and also to understand the storyline better.

Added in this list is Code Veronica X. It's a continuation of 2 and 3 and it has crucial plot lines that you need to know.

Can't really argue with this as a lover of all things Resident Evil, if you can play RE5 on a PC then I highly recommend it. It looks rather stunning and has the bonus no mercy mode.

#7 Posted by Winternet (8447 posts) -

What about playing Resident Evil 5 on the PC and then read/watch the rest on the internet?

#8 Posted by jetsetwillie (882 posts) -

just be aware that early RE games have aged very badly and how they control is shockingly bad. i tried to go back and play them but just could not enjoy them due to the horrible controls.

#9 Posted by Elazul (1351 posts) -

@Marokai said:

Don't be afraid to play the Wii version of RE4; motion controls aren't required. You can play it with a GC controller and/or a classic controller as far as I remember, and it is the definitive retail package of that game.

I actually found the Wii motion controls to be a really fun addition to RE4, although that might have been because I'd already played through the game normally five times. I will say that it did make the game a LOT easier. By the end of chapter 2 I had more health items and ammo than I could fit in my inventory.

#10 Posted by sickVisionz (1307 posts) -

@Zacagawea said:

Definitely not a connoisseur of RE, but I started with RE5 and generally feel okay about it. Although, it is super hard to go back to the old ones after that.

If you actually want to give a shit about that crazy story, (I definitely didn't) start with the first one because logic.

I started playing it seriously with #5. I had a N64 and played parts of the first game at a friend's house and was blown away by the series ignoring Mario 64 and going with the most mindbogglingly bad and game breaking controls known to man. They came out after games had already figured out how 3D controls should work yet learned nothing from them. Those early games were unplayable for me then, and probably even more so now. If you jump back into the old ones, be prepared for that.

#11 Edited by Grumbel (1010 posts) -

Playing them in order of release is the best:

RE1, RE2, RE3, RE:CV, RE:0

I prefer RE1 over the RE1-remake on Gamecube, when you don't want to complete everything, RE3 and RE0 can be skipped as they don't add much to the overall story, they are just more of the same.

I consider the RE4 and RE5 to be essentially a separate series, while some characters are recycled the series had such a  drastic shift in gameplay and story that one can pretty much ignore everything that came previously and vice versa, RE4 and RE5 answer none of the open questions one might have had after RE:CV.

People claim that RE4(Wii) is the best version, as for the older games, the PS1 version will do.

#12 Edited by Sooty (8193 posts) -
@jetsetwillie said:

just be aware that early RE games have aged very badly and how they control is shockingly bad. i tried to go back and play them but just could not enjoy them due to the horrible controls.

they're not that bad, the worst thing about them is only being able to aim straight ahead, down or up. RE Remake plays fairly well, if only they remade 2 like that.
#13 Posted by Sayishere (1854 posts) -

Play in order they were released because, even though RE Zero is technically the first in terms of story, play RE1 first. Playing the new ones will make it much harder to get into a older one due to graphics and differences in gameplay.

#14 Posted by Jack268 (3370 posts) -

I just watched a bro play 4 and thought it looked intriguing and read all the plots on Wikipedia and gonna jump in with Revelations, ORC and 6 this year. I'm not that big on hunting down old-ass titles for enormous prices on amazon and ebay.

Avatar image for video_game_king
#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

Avoid Code: Veronica X, because it's pretty crap.

#16 Posted by mosespippy (4751 posts) -

I got into them this year by watching the Giant Bomb interns play the first bit of the first one. I had 1, 2, and 3 for free from PS+ sitting on my hard drive so I started with 1. It seems like the way to go. I figure that if you start with one of the modern ones then the old ones will feel very out of date and unplayable.

#17 Posted by YI_Orange (1354 posts) -

It depends on what you're looking for. I was never into Resident evil until 4. I'm not really a fan of survival horror games so I thought the first chunk of RE games were bad. I really like RE 4 and 5 though since they're more of 3rd person shooters than survival horror. 5 is also really stupid in some of the best ways.

#18 Posted by VicRattlehead (1417 posts) -

i would get RE4 on wii instead of the "HD" version.... its cheaper and controls alot better... but hey either way your getting an awesome game

#19 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

@Psykhophear said:

This is what I'd suggest, too. Though the very original Resident Evil? (wasn't suggested, but shooting down incase of curiosity) Eh, not worth it. I mean even I think that's aged pretty poorly; lots of enemies becoming invincible mid-animation and the like. The Hunters were the fucking worst. It's astounding how much of an improvement RE2 was. RE2 also may not play well for others, but it's still significantly easier to transition into than the very original RE. Plus the REmake really is one of the best of the lot and is the ''true'' canon for how the Mansion incident occurred.

#20 Posted by Akeldama (4367 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

You're pretty crap. That game was awesome.

#21 Posted by Napalm (9229 posts) -

You really only need to start at Resident Evil 4 and you'll be fine.

#22 Posted by david3cm (678 posts) -

In case you are considering going back through ALL of the games, including the ones with tank controls, you should probably watch the Quick Look Brad and Vinny did for Resident Evil: Code Veronica X. It doesn't look completely unplayable, but those tank controls are pretty hard to go back to after playing any amount of modern third person shooters. Also after listening to people talk about story in the Resident Evil series it sounds completely insane, and like most franchises coming from Japan, it is not very cohesive or follows any form of logic. NOTE that this is just an outsiders opinion and a die hard fan will probably respond to this with a lengthy explanation of the franchise long story. But based on the trailer it looks as if the game follows Chris, Lyon and a third protagonist so you may be fine just playing 4 and 5. But go with god, start down that path of insanity if you wish.

#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@Akeldama:

Defend Steve Burnside. Try to explain to me why Steve Burnside is not a horrible character.

#24 Posted by NekuCTR (1712 posts) -

The first game is an awesome starting point. The tank controls aren't so bad if you are methodical with them, and I'll admit it's kind of a strange juxtaposition calmly lining up a shot for 5 seconds as a zombie is rapidly encroaching on you, but it makes the gameplay far more interesting, and satisfying than modern ammo dumping shooters. If you have difficulties just look up a guide on where ammo is located there's plenty to find despite what people say, and typwriter ribbons is rarely an issue.

If you are down for some good, dumb, rail shooter fun with a friend I would also suggest Umbrella Chronicles, but avoid Darkside Chronicles at all costs IMO.

#25 Posted by Humanity (18591 posts) -

@Zacagawea said:

Although I had a brief stint with RE3 before, RE5 was the first one I played and beat. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and it was twice as fun going through the game with a friend co-op style.

Only bad thing I can recall about playing 5 first was that I didn't have any connection about any of those characters. I mean I knew who Leon was and who Claire Redfield was, kinda..like I know those are characters from the series but no idea what their individual backstories were. Fortunately my friend who I played with was a big RE buff so he'd just tell me "oh yah she was in this and that."

#26 Posted by Shookems (479 posts) -

I played through the gamecube version of RE4 twice when it was released. Right now i'm going through the HD version for PS3 and I've gotta say it looks pretty sharp. If you're hesitant about the Wii version the HD remake is definitely a solid choice, though I'm unsure exactly what additional content from the Wii or PS2 version it might be missing.

#27 Posted by Kidavenger (4417 posts) -

I played through the first three when they came out and haven't touched them since.

1 skip it, it's aged badly and the story isn't as good as 2

2 great story and jump scares, definitely play this one

3 hated it, huge change in tone from the first two games

#29 Posted by JoeyRavn (5287 posts) -

Wow, thanks for all the answers. I was sure no one would care about my questions :P Let's see:

I know the first few games have aged badly. Even the remake are, arguably, barely playable by today standards. But I really want to get the whole Resident Evil experience, no matter how painful it is. I'll add Code: Veronica X to the list and play it after 3 and before 4. What I have to decide now is whether to play RE Zero before or after 1, 2 and 3. Are the gameplay changes so significant that going back to the previous titles is so hard? Because, otherwise, I'll just play them in plot order.

Thanks again for the replies, duders.

Avatar image for little_socrates
#30 Posted by Little_Socrates (5844 posts) -

If you find yourself having trouble playing the traditional tank-based Resident Evils, please just skip to RE4. It's not worth it to miss where that series eventually goes because the older games play like...well, older games.

#31 Posted by DeathbyYeti (790 posts) -
#32 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2763 posts) -

Do RE1 and RE2 even have an easy difficulty? I can't remember.

#33 Posted by JoeyRavn (5287 posts) -

@Little_Socrates: @Rolyatkcinmai: I more or less know the story in the first RE and, generally speaking, until the third one. But I'd really like to experience all the puzzles and everything.

#34 Posted by DarthOrange (4213 posts) -

Just buy Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles on the Wii to get the basic story from the first few games. Then play RE4 on Wii or XBLA and RE5 on PC if it comes with all the DLC, if not just get RE5 Gold Edition on 360. Those first few Resident Evil games really don't hold up at all today, just play the fun on rails shooters and soak in the story. RE4 and RE5 are still playable today.

#35 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

well it's pretty good from what you put. play it in that order. resident evil 4 is a great game. i liked it more than 5.

#36 Posted by Rudyftw (555 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

... but I have no idea how or where I should begin. I've never played a Resident Evil game before, but I've been meaning to since Resident Evil 4 got so much universal praise. With which versions should I start? Which games should I avoid? I was thinking I could go with something like this:

I'm purposely avoiding RE4 on Wii because... well, I know that it's a great version, but I'm kinda lazy and I don't know if I'll be able to endure the whole game with the Wiimote. I don't know what to do with RE3, to be honest. There's no remake or "enhanced port", right?

Any RE connoisseur would care to enlighten me, please?

Thanks in advance.

Start with the order they came out it.

RE 1

RE 2

RE 3

RE 0

#37 Posted by Hot_Karl (3321 posts) -

In all honesty, I'd just play RE4, play parts of RE1 for the lolz (because the voice acting/full motion video is atrocious/fucking hilarious), and try out 5.

Read the wiki pages to catch up on the plot of the other games. That's my opinion.

#38 Posted by BoG (5390 posts) -

I just want to throw in that REmake plays well, and I don't care what anyone says. Yes it has "tank controls," but I totally buy into the "it enhances the tension of the survival horror genre!" stuff people say. The original RE games were about tension, resource management, puzzles, and pissing your pants when dogs jump through windows. You do need to play 4, no matter what anyone says, it's great. I've never played 5 or Code: Veronica (but I'm bidding for it on Ebay).

#39 Posted by Kdog510 (9 posts) -

I admire your dedication haha. To want to get into Resident Evil, you really want to experience the defining moments and the evolution of the survival horror genre. I'd say you definitely owe it to yourself to play the first two, as those will give you the majority of the game's fiction and initiate you to their play style. Survival horror is an arguably dead breed so at the very least you'll experience something unique.

If you like it, or at least get used to it, play RE:3 and even the prequel RE:0. As an RE verteran, I honestly didn't care for Veronica but be my guest, to each his own.

They are hard to find, but if you have a Wii you can buy the entire series on gamecube and get RE4 on Wii. (Something I did because I'm a RE fanatic) I wouldn't fret the motion controls either. Not only are they pitch perfect, but they don't require constantly obtrusive movement and even so, like people mentioned, you can play with a gamepad as well.

Here's to you finding a new obsession! Then there's always silent hill and fatal frame...

#40 Posted by Akeldama (4367 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Akeldama:

Defend Steve Burnside. Try to explain to me why Steve Burnside is not a horrible character.

At least his connection with Sheena Island was somewhat interesting. Now, defend Shiva or Josh or that god fucking awful Excella or Irving.

Resident Evil is no stranger to poor characters. At least Code Veronica had an interesting setting with a fairly unique plot. Not to mention, the music was incredibly subtle and effective.

#41 Posted by psykhophear (1277 posts) -

@Abyssfull: I thought by playing the original RE it would clash the transition between that and RE 0 in terms of graphics. Also the REmake has new plot lines that are more up to date and relevant to the series.

@JoeyRavn: So if you are the adventurous type, try playing the original Resident Evil. Though it may have some really bad dialogue, it's still fun to play:

#42 Posted by Aetheldod (3914 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Dear Mr. Video Game king ... I oppose your rule when regarding Code Veronica "THE BEST RESIDENT EVIL EVA" as crap ..... I refuse to follow such evil king >:3

#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@Aetheldod:

No, it's pretty crap. I'd go into detail about why, but that's what blogs are for. Also, reviews. But for now, I'll say that it's shit.

#44 Posted by Branthog (5777 posts) -

I'm not a fan of jumping into franchises several games in, including Resident Evil. I would really like to play all the REs from the beginning, but I have zero interest in sitting in fromt of my Wii or GameCube for hours. If they released them all in some collection on the 360 or PS3, I'd be all over that.

#45 Edited by Aetheldod (3914 posts) -

@Branthog: You can get them through PSN , but the original PS1 games ..... Resident Evil 0 is only available on Game Cube I belive. Also You can get the HD redmakes of the awesome Resident Evil: Code Veronica and the crappy as hell RE4 (when the game lost its charm and became , puaj , a third person shooting game .... I want my tank controls , ammo managemente and puzzles back you hear Capcom!!!!!

@Video_Game_King said:

@Aetheldod:

No, it's pretty crap. I'd go into detail about why, but that's what blogs are for. Also, reviews. But for now, I'll say that it's shit.

>:3 magnicide is in order *prepares revolution*

#46 Posted by billyhoush (1273 posts) -

Just play RE4 on the Wii and skip the rest...as well as 5.

#47 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -
#48 Posted by Jeust (11739 posts) -

Play Resident Evil 4. If you don't like it, try the remake of the original Resident Evil or Resident Evil 0. If you don't like any of it, then RE just isn't for you,

#49 Posted by Aetheldod (3914 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Why you evil genious bastard D:

#50 Posted by kingzetta (4497 posts) -

all of them are good. 
People that say 4 and 5 are the death of series are morons

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.