Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Kawata-San on Resident Evil: Renovation

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

No Caption Provided
    Capcom's Masachika Kawata has issued an interesting statement regarding the next game in the Resident Evil series, in an interview with MarcaPlayer:  

"The series will see a complete renovation with the next entry on  every level. But we can’t forget about all the previous entries that have led to  the creation of many possibilities for the franchise. I can’t say if we’re going  to make it (Resident Evil 6) survival horror or a shooter, but I can say that  it’ll be totally different.”  

- Masachika Kawata   

Intriguing, I wonder what he could mean. What do you think?

Link 

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

I can’t say if we’re going  to make it (Resident Evil 6) survival horror or a shooter, but I can say that  it’ll be totally different.

God damnit.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By N7

If Capcom keeps this crap up, we'll be seeing a day where Resident Evil isn't a singleplayer game. They already ditched zombies completely within the series except for remakes and whathaveyou, so never say never.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Considering the direction that Resident Evil Raccoon City Secret File Gaiden Zojirushi is going, I imagine what he's got in mind is something a lot harder to pigeon-hole than just "it's a horror game" or "it's a shooter".

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe
    @KingWilly said:
    " Considering the direction that Resident Evil Raccoon City Secret File Gaiden Zojirushi is going, I imagine what he's got in mind is something a lot harder to pigeon-hole than just "it's a horror game" or "it's a shooter". "
    Going off the newest game coming out, I'm going to guess what he's got in mind is "more bad action games from Slant-Six"
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Contro
    @benjaebe said:
    " @KingWilly said:
    " Considering the direction that Resident Evil Raccoon City Secret File Gaiden Zojirushi is going, I imagine what he's got in mind is something a lot harder to pigeon-hole than just "it's a horror game" or "it's a shooter". "
    Going off the newest game coming out, I'm going to guess what he's got in mind is "more bad action games from Slant-Six" "

They're certainly going about things the right way with Resident Evil: Revelations on 3DS:

http://www.giantbomb.com/resident-evil-revelations/61-31737/direct-sequel-to-resident-evil-5/35-490642/#8

But why not say you're doing the exact same with the new console game?. It's  odd, there must be a very good reason this, and I think it could have to do with new hardware...both Sony's and Nintendo's.

This is what I find interesting:

Coming from a Eurogamer interview about the 3DS with Capcom's Yoshinori Ono...

Eurogamer: Do you see a future when you'll be able to play Street Fighter on a home console and then transport your profile onto a handheld when you leave the home and continue playing? Is cross-platform play between home and portable consoles possible?

Yoshinori Ono: Yeah, I think we're probably three months too early to answer that question. But if you're going to be at E3, see you there.

Maybe the new Resident Evil will be a MP experience that allows a few players to jump in using handheld devices?    
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @Contro: Reasonable theory, but if that's the case then I am probably, truly, done with Resident Evil. RE4 brought a faster paced horror that was frenetic and focused on in-the-moment tension instead of building up dread over long periods. The pay-offs were still good, but it was a faster, smarter kind of horror game. I think Kawata (if he's the new project lead, I don't follow Japanese development) is probably referencing the recent trend of RE games embracing their horror roots but also bringing new and well-thought out ideas to the genre.

grenadeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By grenadeh

Hardware should have nothing to do with it. Resident Evil never belonged on handhelds, and I still support this opinion in regards to Revelations and Mercs 3D. It is a console/PC game and should stay on a console/PC, where you can do what you want and need to do to make an excellent survival horror game.  

Resident Evil 4 was not the best game in the series by a long shot, but it is definitely one of the best titles in the franchise. I'm so sick of noobs who never heard of Resident Evil until 2004 who played this game and said "OMG BEST GAME EVER" because it isn't, at all. Even within the franchise it was already focused around stale gameplay  mechanics and aging controls, so you can't call it the best - and that's utterly ignoring the lack of creativity and originality that went into this game (If this is what I say about RE4, how violent is my opinion on RE5? you ask yourself. lol. :) ) 

@Contro  I agree with you. Revelations is my last hope for Capcom. Not even just Resident Evil, I mean Capcom as a whole. They have gone the wrong direction entirely, with their most popular franchise. If this is the way they treat Resident Evil, do I want to see the kind of bile they regurgitate for Street Fighter? Megaman? MVC? Bayonetta? DMC? Need I list more? 

The even more unfortunate thing is, if you look at the abandoned development versions of RE4, which are actually survival horror, you can see where they had a moment of clarity and they were headed back in the right direction, AND THEY STILL DID THE WRONG THING. 

@KingWilly - What do you mean smarter? Smarter thinking on their behalf to build up tension in short bursts rather than over the course of the whole game? I can't agree with that. When you were worried about dying in Resident Evil 4, you always had the reassurance that once you got over this next hurdle, defeated this next boss, you had a merchant, and a save point, and the enemies would drop 204949 petas and 459 bullets. The entire game is just a cycle of "OMG - nevermind I'm good. OMG! Oh nvm there's some ammo. OMG! Oh nvm here's 4 green herbs in the same room." On the other hand, Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, CV was: "OMG I have 6 inventory slots and i started out with only 2 free. I only have 15 bullets. OMG there's a zombie. WTF he took 9 shots to kill! Crap now I have 6 bullets. Crap I can;t unlock this door. Damnit, I need an item box. Damnit, I need to pick up this key but I picked up this stupid wooden slate I don't even know the purpose for and I have no room. Now  I have to go back to the subspace item storage box on the other side of the building, and there are dogs and junk in the way. OMG CRIMSON HEAD ZOMBIE WTF RUN. (Many of these of course refer to REmake which is scarier IMO, though it does away with a lot of what made the original good/cheesy/classic.) It's much scarier and anxiety/paranoia producing than RE4 or 5 is. The only areas in 4 or 5 that make you concernicus are when you hear, or know, that there is a chainsaw around - which isn't even a big deal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.