Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

No longer a horror series?

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Black_Rose

Am i the only one who thinks that RE is no longer a horror series? After watching the new RE5 trailer it doesn't seem like one at all, it's more of an action game than RE4 was, i don't know if this is a bad thing or a good thing though.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

Unfortunately, that also seems to be what happened with Condemned 2: Bloodshot. D:

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

I think it's a little early to judge that, however, it does seem like the Resident Evil franchise is switching to more action oriented gameplay. Honestly, as long as the game is good, I really don't mind if it doesn't have the horror element like past games did. I can always go back and play the other Resident Evil games to get a dose of the old RE formula.

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Shasam

It depends on how you view a horror game. Unfortunately, a lot of people feel they need to old style controls to make it a horror game. RE5, despite it being "more actiony", can still create tension by using the environment and enemies like RE4 did.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By get2sammyb

Yeah it's way too early to say it's not horror. I'm certain it'll still be brutal, gothic, gritty and will make you jump. It's just not going for the obvious horror themes anymore. More action than suspense.

The games are better for it as a result though so I'm happy.

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Gump

No more monsters, no more puzzles, no more zombies, no more disturbing horror. That is pretty sad.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By zitosilva

I think it stopped conpletely in RE4. It's now an action game. A good action game at that, really. But it isn't really Resident Evil anymore.

Then again, maybe the old formula was getting old. I mean, RE can't really stand on its feet with just its 'story'.
    And we have still have Silent Hill or Siren for the old ways, so I guess it's okay.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Lemegeton

yeah its totally lost its survival horror roots.
    im really not sure about RE:5 . it just looks like RE: 4 with a co-op mode thrown in. dont get me wrong RE 4 was awesome but i had hoped for something more from the first next gen RE game

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BoG

RE4 wasn't scary at all, in my opinion, but it wasa  great game. I think it has become zombie killing action rather then horror. Unfortunate, the genre is going more to action and less to fright, we need a few scary games this time of year. Hopefully dead space can deliver, but ultraviolence =/= scary all of the time, so we'll see.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By atejas

Dead Space seems to be taking RE's mantle.....

SymbolliC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By SymbolliC

Sadly no.. even though Resident Evil 4 was a great game, it wasn't scary. I personally prefer the old RE to the new ones. I would mind to keep the zombies and the camera, seems they're trying to mainstream RE and it's loosing it's horror theme with it.

I'm sad to say that Dead Space is taking RE's mantle, but it's definitely probable, with RE going shooter.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Milkman
    BoG said:
    "RE4 wasn't scary at all, in my opinion, but it wasa  great game. I think it has become zombie killing action rather then horror. Unfortunate, the genre is going more to action and less to fright, we need a few scary games this time of year. Hopefully dead space can deliver, but ultraviolence =/= scary all of the time, so we'll see."
    It's turn for the most part Resident Evil 4 wasn't scary but you can't tell me with a straight face that the first time you heard that chainsaw you weren't terrified. Also, the regenerating enemies in the hospital were scary as hell.
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By clubsandwich

Resident Evil died with RE4. I won't deny it, it was a fantastic game, one of the best games ever created, but it wasn't a Resident Evil game. It lost all of it's survival horror elements, except that you still couldn't move while shooting, but other than that, it was an action/shooter game, not a survival horror game. I remember in the previous resident evil games that I wouldn't even kill zombies at times because I didn't had ammo, or I was saving some for the bosses (who ever played Code Veronica should remember that tyrant on the plane... :x ), and on RE4 I remember I could sell tons of ammo without having problems... RE is not a  survival horror game anymore, I just want RE5 because of the story.

ArmyofJuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ArmyofJuan

sure it may have lost its "roots" like all the crappy controls and everything, but i still think it's a "horror" game. There are still zombie type things and tentacles and monsters.

I mean, i don't know what else would define a "horror" game. And please don't say the way RE used to play. I firmly believe it has changed for the better.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By jakob187

RE stopped being a horror series the minute I heard, "Jill, you being the master of lockpicking..."  -_-

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Psynapse
    atejas said:
    "Dead Space seems to be taking RE's mantle....."

Hell yes it is!!! I <3 DeadSpace... but i'm shit scared to play it with surround sound and in the dark..

I is a little girl i know!
    Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shadow2K6

Its not Survival Horror anymore.  Its just Action Horror.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

While RE4 wasn't nearly as scary as RE1 for a number of reasons, it still scared the heck out of me at times.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By clubsandwich
    Shadow2K6 said:
    "Its not Survival Horror anymore.  Its just Action Horror."
    naah, it's not even horror anymore,  it's just action/shooter.
    Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Keano

Shiity controls does not equal to "teh hoorrrrorz"

Re5 will be amazing thanks to the new western approach.
    Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

TheGreatGuero said:
    "While RE4 wasn't nearly as scary as RE1 for a number of reasons, it still scared the heck out of me at times."
    I never found any of the Resident Evil games scary, although I did jump when the dog jumped though window in the first game but that's it.
    Zombies, giant spiders, lickers or really bad voice acting just don't scare me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.