Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Revisting the world of survival horror.

Avatar image for ravengunslinger
    RavenGunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By RavenGunslinger

So I recently entered the world of survival horror again. That's right I'm replaying through the original Resident Evil. Let me tell you what time has not lessened the atmosphere of this game. Exploring the halls and rooms of Spencer Mansion is one of the most fun I've had in a while. From finding the diaries and such of the Umbrella workers to solving the insane puzzles in the game there is a lot of neat stuff to experience in the mansion. While the controls are more tedious now than ever it certainly does add a level of tension to the game play even though it is frustrating at times. Then there's the horrible writing and voice acting that is just as scary as the zombies and mutants in the game. However even though the game doesn't compare to the games of today there is still a lot of fun to be had here. I can't wait to experience this game again and play through as Chris. Here's to the good old days of survival horror when the survival aspect was no joke. 

Cheers!

RavenGunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RavenGunslinger

So I recently entered the world of survival horror again. That's right I'm replaying through the original Resident Evil. Let me tell you what time has not lessened the atmosphere of this game. Exploring the halls and rooms of Spencer Mansion is one of the most fun I've had in a while. From finding the diaries and such of the Umbrella workers to solving the insane puzzles in the game there is a lot of neat stuff to experience in the mansion. While the controls are more tedious now than ever it certainly does add a level of tension to the game play even though it is frustrating at times. Then there's the horrible writing and voice acting that is just as scary as the zombies and mutants in the game. However even though the game doesn't compare to the games of today there is still a lot of fun to be had here. I can't wait to experience this game again and play through as Chris. Here's to the good old days of survival horror when the survival aspect was no joke. 

Cheers!

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By copycatzen

Why did you play the original when you could have played the remake?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

Make sure you play Code Veronica.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By falserelic

I'm a huge survival horror fan.I've played most of all the Resident Evil games.The best Resident Evil game is the remake for the gamecube.Best remake I ever played for a game.It was fun, unique and scary.Silent Hill is also an aswome horror game aswell.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

Survival horror is my favorite genre. It's kind of a shame that there aren't very many classic survival horror styled games coming out in the near future, but Silent Hill: Downpour is looking pretty sweet as is Amy. If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be Silent Hill 3. Good on you for playing through the original RE again though - great game.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By falserelic
    @benjaebe: I wish their is more survival horror games on the market aswell.Its sad to see not too many developers make horror games.That game you mentioned call Amy looks interesting.I hope it turnsout good.  
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Ygg said:
    Make sure you play Code Veronica.
    I must disagree. Having played every main series incarnation of Resident Evil, Code Veronica was the only one I had trouble getting myself to finish. It's not horrible or anything, but that game only gets as much love as it does because it came out on the Dreamcast. I honestly believe that. Once it comes to XBLA this fall I think a lot of people will be disappointed by a lot of its aspects. (Constant backtracking, the beginning of Resident Evil taking itself at face value, lolwut plot and aggravating boss battles)

@RavenGunslinger: That's great that you still like it. Obviously, they got better with that formula as they went along, but the original Resident Evil is still no joke. I prefer the Gamecube remake for obvious reasons, but the PS1 original still has its charms, most specifically the whole B movie feel.
    RavenGunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RavenGunslinger
    @copycatzen: Mainly because I have the original and not the remake. lol
    RavenGunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RavenGunslinger
    @Ygg: I have and it's one of my favorites of the series. I may replay through it next.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By EpicSteve

You might wanna rock the GameCube remake. You'll get all your nostalgia, RE narrative, and atmosphere with the addition of modernization

RavenGunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RavenGunslinger
    @benjaebe: Thank you. I'm right there with. Survival horror is one of my favorite genres as well; Silent Hill being very dear to me because it was my first introduction to the genre. I just finished playing through Shattered Memories and really enjoyed it even though it was pretty different from the others. I think the main reason I liked it was because of the exploration. That's really my favorite part of the series is exploring Silent Hill and learning about it's history. To me the town is just as the main protagonist. I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one with a deep appreciation of this series.
    RavenGunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RavenGunslinger
    @EpicSteve: Everyone is saying that so I think I'm going to have to go check it out. I still have my Gamecube somewhere and I'm sure I can find a copy of the game at my local used games store.
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By dichemstys

I finished the Gamecube remake for the first time literally five minutes ago and it was incredible. It was pretty difficult even on easy and it's making me want to go back and finish Resident Evil Zero for the first time too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.