Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Rumour: Resident Evil 7 XONE exclusive; Dino Crisis: Reborn?

• 71 results
    Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Resident Evil games in the past have generated a cult following, like with Resident Evil 4, but more recent installments, like 5, 6, or Operation Raccoon City, haven't exactly garnered the success Capcom was hoping for, despite big marketing campaigns.

Now, for the inevitable Resident Evil 7, it seems that the studio has a different sort of plan.

According to German websiteXboxDynasty, Resident Evil 7 will be an Xbox One exclusive game that's scheduled to launch in January of 2015.

No exact source was given, so take the rumor with a massive grain of salt.

According to the website, Capcom reached this decision after Dead Rising 3, another Xbox One exclusive, reached good sales despite appearing on a single, just-released console.

Unfortunately, not much else is known at this time and Capcom hasn't even commented on this brand new report concerning its flagship action horror franchise.

Considering that quite some time has passed since Resident Evil 6 launched, you can bet that the Japanese developer is getting ready to debut Resident Evil 7 in the near future, probably at big trade shows like E3 2014 or Gamescom 2014.

No Caption Provided

Softpedia: Resident Evil 7 Is Xbox One Exclusive, Launches in Early 2015 –Report

Xbox Dynasty: Gerücht: Exklusiv für Xbox One, Ankündigung auf E3 2014

This would be pretty neat. Hopefully they don't do co-op on RE 7, as I think it might make the game better. Although, Xbox people would probably appreciate it online if co-op was enabled, as long as it doesn't detract from the game too much. Hopefully they bring it back to something that way more horror story, and closer to something classic.

I also saw that RE4 might land on XONE also. Both stories need to be taken with a grain of salt, and all that.

No Caption Provided

I also saw that Dino Crisis: Reborn, might be a game in the works. Although, March/April's OXM has come and gone. I still think it'd be interesting, though.

Thoughts? What would you want to see in an RE7 game? A David Jaffe led RE7 game, made by 10 hungry developers, would also be awesome.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

RE5 was my favorite RE game so as long as it's more 4 and 5 and less like 6 i'll be excited to play it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Why wouldn't RE4 be ported to it? It's been on just about everything else.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I saw this on a bunch of sites a few days ago and it was so flimsy it didn't even need to be debunked. And RE5 is one of Capcom's highest grossing titles with 6,600,000 copies sold as of December 2013. Which is why they had such insane projections for RE6.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By liquiddragon

sounds like bs, unless capcom plans on selling zero copies in Japan.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I liked RE6 but yeah I think I'm okay with missing RE7.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By mrcraggle

I'll put DR3s success more down to being a launch title than being exclusive and people needing to justify their new purchase. RE is a much bigger title than DR so I can't see it being exclusive but maybe timed. RE4 was "exclusive" to the GameCube and how many ports has that had at this point?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I couldn't care less about RE until it goes back to trying to be scary instead of an action game with terrible controls and lifeless shooting.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I don't usually like to comment on rumors and speculation, but this would make a lot of sense. I can't believe that Resident Evil 6 reached the expectations that Capcom had placed on it and they seem very pleased with how Dead Rising 3 did. Making RE7 an exclusive on either platform would guarantee them some solid marketing dollars and visibility. And the Resident Evil 4 rumor also makes sense because they already did the work to port it over to modern PC's and these consoles are essentially modern PC's.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Samaritan

This seems like a surefire way to lose even more fans of Resident Evil and to further get away from any chance of reclaiming the series after Resident Evil 6. Release the game on a single platform, one with zero presence in Japan, because you put out a launch game for the XBO and it sold well? How do they not see the correlation of Dead Rising 3's sales were because it was one of the only launch games worth owning for the XBO, not because it was an XBO exclusive?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By SomeJerk

It's not the first time I see these very rumours, and it won't happen unless Capcom want to take a break but MS pester them to handle it like DR3 development which included financing. MS have the money and the bad-idea suits for it.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

No hidden head-giving giraffe in the title no sale.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Considering they haven't put out a RE worth playing since 4, I cant say I'm that excited for another one.

Sacui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being a longtime Resident Evil fan, I'm of course excited for the next chapter. 6 was a little ridiculous with the action focus. I'd like a game more like 4, BUT I would love a standalone game that takes the series back to its fixed camera angle roots.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I know this is primarily a Resident Evil post, but DINO CRISIS!! DC2 was such an awesome game, I'd love to see it return with new-gen dinosaurs. It was a better action game than Resident Evil ever was, so if they continue going away from survival horror that would be the franchise to do it with.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got The Evil Within to look forward to a good Survival-horror experience. RE 7 could turnout good, but at the moment I'm not excited about it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

I'm going to take any rumor from a German Xbox focused website with a bit more than a grain of salt. Resident Evil is one of Capcom's biggest (though perhaps not brightest) franchises, and I don't think they'd kneecap themselves by agreeing to console exclusivity, especially on a console that is not the PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It makes absolutely no sense for a company that constantly whines about how it's games don't meet sales expectations to then restrict one of it's highest selling franchises to a single platform; particularly one that isn't even selling more than its competition.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Rumors are rumors, this could be (and most likely is) a load of bullshit.

However, I am surprised so many people write this off as if this is completely outside the realm of possibility.

Microsoft has a history of throwing money at 3rd party developers and Capcom in particular (DR & Lost Planet). There are a lot of advantages to being exclusive to a single platform. Sure, you are restricting the maximum number of copies you will sell, but the money and marketing received probably makes up for it. Look at how much attention Titanfall received. For better or for worse people paid a lot more attention to it and wouldn't shut the fuck up about it. RE is a bigger franchise for sure and it would probably require a lot more money but this is MS we're talking about here. They have deep pockets.

I'm guessing if this were to be true it would eventually come to PS4 regardless.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ezekiel

@blu3v3nom07 said:
    Hopefully they don't do co-op on RE 7, as I think it might make the game better.

Of course it's going to have forced co-op. I don't believe this rumor. Capcom wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot by making their biggest franchise an exclusive to the less successful console. Dead Rising 3 was announced before the two consoles launched. It probably wouldn't make a difference to me, though. RE5, 6 and Revelations were all mediocre and inferior to 4.

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By advocatefish

I want to know whats up the RE 1.5 resurrection.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose it's possible. Didn't Capcom lose a lot of money on RE6? Maybe if Microsoft is backing it it won't kill Capcom. Still not interested, though. I'd greatly prefer if MS picked something else out of Capcom's IP cabinet.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's with Capcom's obsession with turning Resident Evil into a western franchise?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Resident Evil should be put down and burned like the zombies .... it stinks like rotten meat

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

And Dragons Dogma 2 continues to flutter away in the wind... I mean these are only rumours of course, the Resident Evil one sounding rather unlikely. Though the possibility of a new Dino Crisis game sounds plausible enough. Still, point is Capcom have seemingly been keeping that thing locked away in the basement like it's the Hugo of the family. Guess it's so it doesn't get in the way of this Deep Down thing, which I'm sure they're hoping to be a bit of a cash cow given the free-to-play model.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ezekiel

@blu3v3nom07 said:
    Thoughts? What would you want to see in an RE7 game?

I want a free evade system. No more QTE evades. Fewer playable characters. Two at the most, who share the world but go their separate ways, like in (what I've played of) the first game. One male and one female. I want to be alone for the majority of the game. Simple, permanent weapon upgrades instead of like in Revelations, where you put the parts on the gun after a checkpoint after which you keep dying and having to customize the gun again and again. But I also don't want the upgrades to severely overpower you like in RE4 and up. A better story with few of the old characters. Characters who don't look like fashion models. An evolution of RE4's controls and camera. I don't care about the older games. Less action, more suspense, fewer cutscenes than in the latest games, better writing (Revelations' dialogue was funny.), more conservation and survival, no globetrotting (Leave me in one setting to fend for myself.) and more music in Mercenaries.

Also, what this guy said:

FragManiac: Give us, varied, distinct and suspenseful creatures again. Doesn't have to be carbon copies of the epic ones from RE4 like Vedugo, Regenerator and Iron Maiden, but something more suspenseful and engaging than these too oft used squiggly creatures from the latest titles. Give us the old school inventory system back, this scrolling crap is pathetic. I liked being able to pause game and look in my inventory box and arrange things and expand it with upgrades. Bring back the more suspenseful, dramatic ambient sounds. Bring back varied, artistic and atmospheric level design like RE4 had. Bring back varied, strategic boss fights instead of these rinse and repeat affairs. Stop with the scripted escape scenes that have horrible camera angles on bent or zig zagging paths.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: The MS support is probably worth more money than they would make from the 300k console players left in Japan.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

I want to know whats up the RE 1.5 resurrection.

They still keep on posting screenshots on their facebook page, so that project seems to be chugging along.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Justin258

I'm going to take any rumor from a German Xbox focused website with a bit more than a grain of salt. Resident Evil is one of Capcom's biggest (though perhaps not brightest) franchises, and I don't think they'd kneecap themselves by agreeing to console exclusivity, especially on a console that is not the PS4.

Resident Evil 4 was an exclusive on Gamecube for a little while. Maybe they'll go along a similar route?

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As trolling rumours go, this one seems like quite the shot in the dark.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#33  Edited By Yummylee

@believer258 said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Resident Evil 4 was an exclusive on Gamecube for a little while. Maybe they'll go along a similar route?

And it sold poorly, hence why they quickly decided to port it to just about everything else... except the original Xbox ironically enough. Still, point is they were to quick to get that thing on other stuff. The PS2 port was actually released within the same year even.

Always wondered why they evidently couldn't seem to get the remake and RE0 off there, too. Maybe they didn't think they were worth the effort, or Nintendo had their claws dug in a lot deeper than they did RE4. Though frankly given how poorly both remake and RE0 sold as well, it's weird why they'd even set up this 'exclusivity' with RE4 on the gamecube in the first place.

Suppose it's still within the realm of possibility that they'll give this theorised RE7 a similar 'exclusivity' deal on XB1, but I would be surprised if that turned out to be the case.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

hmmmm microsoft money man. How can you stop it? Also at this point I'm just so used to hearing 3rd party foreign developers working for capcom.... sigh, they should really take a break on Resident Evil games.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By falserelic

@yummylee said:

@believer258 said:

@arbitrarywater said:

And it sold poorly, hence why they quickly decided to port it to just about everything else... except the original Xbox ironically enough. Still, point is they were to quick to get that thing on other stuff. The PS2 port was actually released within the same year even.

Always wondered why they evidently couldn't seem to get the remake and RE0 off there, too. Maybe they didn't think they were worth the effort, or Nintendo had their claws dug in a lot deeper than they did RE4. Though frankly given how poorly both remake and RE0 sold as well, it's weird why they'd even set up this 'exclusivity' with RE4 on the gamecube in the first place.

Exactly.

Nintendo should let the rights for both RE:Remake and Zero go at this point. I honestly wouldn't mind playing those games again as DLC for the ps4, but anyway Nintendo sucks to me. Their all about having family type games for everyone, but nowadays its not working for them.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caesius6 said:

@captain_felafel said:

Dead Rising 3's sales were because it was one of the only launch games worth owning for the XBO, not because it was an XBO exclusive?

DR3 did not go without competition. Forza, Killer Instinct and even marketing campaigns for games that might not have been better, but were bigger (like Ryse). Not to mention bigger franchises launching ports, like AC4.

I don't think you're wrong, it's definitely a boost that it was a launch title. But it was a solid title as well, and it shared room with some other great titles.

It was definitely a strong launch, but that game would never have achieved the sales it did if it weren't for the huge boost of people buying launch Xbox One's. I just think it's dangerous to look at that data and assume it was because of the Xbox One brand and not because there will always be people buying a new system at launch looking for games to play on it.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The weirdest thing about RE is that they were actually fun because of the tank controls and RE6 trying modern third person shooter controls made the game super boring. The restricted controls had a specific feel about it that was different and made encounters more tactical.

I think they should take a long hard look and Dead Space 1 & 2 and try something more like that because I highly doubt the return of tank controls.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mustainium

I know it's unlikely, but it'd be fantastic if Capcom Vancouver (Dead Rising 3) got a shot at RE7.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By colourful_hippie

Yeah, they can go ahead and keep that franchise. I still can't get rid of the shit taste that RE6 left me with

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ZolRoyce

I know it's unlikely, but it'd be fantastic if Capcom Vancouver (Dead Rising 3) got a shot at RE7.

That actually seems like it would be pretty cool, fan of the series or not, let's all be honest, there is no storyline goal in the Resident Evil games anymore, the only goal they have at all any more is to keep it going and in that case, why not hand it around to different studios or developers to work on, hand it around, experiment with it, go crazy. Treat it like it is a t.v. show that has a new director every episode. Could be cool.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: Wait a minute? Nintendo holds the rights to RE Remake and Zero? I never heard that? And considering how Microsoft was able to get back Rare's games back from Nintendo, I just don't think contracts with Nintendo are that impossible. Just considering how Capcom is eager to port everything onto anything, there's got to be another excuse why those two games haven't been ported over onto phones at this point.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I wouldn't put RE7 in my Playstation anyway.

New Dino Crisis though? Yeah I'm down for that.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By falserelic

@crithon said:

@falserelic: Wait a minute? Nintendo holds the rights to RE Remake and Zero? I never heard that? And considering how Microsoft was able to get back Rare's games back from Nintendo, I just don't think contracts with Nintendo are that impossible. Just considering how Capcom is eager to port everything onto anything, there's got to be another excuse why those two games haven't been ported over onto phones at this point.

That's what I've been told by multiple people, but if it isn't the case Capcom should port them. Unlike RE4 that had ports all around by now. Having the Remake and Zero wouldn't be a bad idea since not too many people played them. Then again who knows how the business is like in the game industry, maybe there's a reason they can't.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 5 didn't garner the success that Capcom hoped for? Isn't it their best selling game ever?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: Hmmmm. well they did re release RE Remake for the Wii in 2009..... So I kinda can see some legitimacy for some sort of exclusive theory, because Nintendo could have publish that for Capcom they do that a lot for Square Enix..... I don't know, Capcom probably has some excuse, weird considering they love to port everything from Megaman to Street Fighter. I just don't know if Nintendo could be that strict with an exclusive contract, Square has had a history of working with Nintendo Publishing games and then releasing DS games onto ipad and PSP. But yeah..... and also Capcom does have a whole burning bridges with some former developers like Kenji Inafune and Platinum guys..... I just think there's some sort of drama going around out there about RE Remake.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic said:

@yummylee said:

@believer258 said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Exactly.

Nintendo should let the rights for both RE:Remake and Zero go at this point. I honestly wouldn't mind playing those games again as DLC for the ps4, but anyway Nintendo sucks to me. Their all about having family type games for everyone, but nowadays its not working for them.

Hell, I'd consider buying a Wii U if they released a new version of RE Remake for it with some spitshine polish.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic said:

Hell, I'd consider buying a Wii U if they released a new version of RE Remake for it with some spitshine polish.

Personally I wouldn't, It'll be like making the same mistake as I did with the gamecube. The only thing that kept me from regretting buying the gamecube was the exclusive RE games. Since I'm a Survival-Horror fan and the RE series was my favorite I couldn't help it. As I look at Nintendo nowadays I could let the less powerful hardware slide. If only there was games that catch my interests. Alot of their main popular exclusives don't interests me, and on top of that alot of 3rd party devs don't want to make games on the system.

I feel like if I buy a Wii U It will end up being a dust collector, just like my gamecube. It's funny that a company that was build solely on gaming. Doesn't really have alot of games to show off for their console. Hell it looks like they support the 3ds more then the Wii U. Then you have people saying ''wait until E3 Nintendo will show the games'', and look what happen last year they barely showed shit. I swear Nintendo is sinking faster then the titanic, sad thing is they won't have people playing a violin for them when it sinks.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This does line up with what Phil Spencer is saying about having another exclusive from an "awesome" Japanese developer, but I would honestly stake more money on Lost Odyssey 2 or something than this.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#49 jeanluc  Staff

Yeah, I don't really see Resident Evil 7 as the killer exclusive that will make me go by a Xbox One.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Not a chance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.