Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Franchise »

Capcom's Resident Evil (or Biohazard in Japan) series continues to draw in players with its stories of hideous mutations and the pharmaceutical company Umbrella Inc. It is Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales.

Sony dates Resident Evil: Degeneration

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By brukaoru
    Sony Pictures has confirmed that upcoming CGI zombie romp Resident Evil: Degeneration will be released on Blu-ray and DVD in North America on December 30, 2008.

According to reports, the film will be available for around USD 39.95, and features a number of extras such as character profiles, voice bloopers, an interview with male lead Leon Kennedy, a Resident Evil 5 videogame trailer, and a collection of trailers for Degeneration itself.

Resident Evil: Degeneration takes place seven years following the destruction of Raccoon City (as depicted in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis), and follows an outbreak of the T-virus at an unknown airport somewhere in the United States.

The film signals the return of Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield, who previously appeared in Resident Evil 2, as they attempt to neutralize the threat before the virus escapes, causing a nation wide epidemic.

The film makes its Japanese debut at the Tokyo Game Show this week.
    http://www.psu.com/Sony-dates-Resident-Evil--Degeneration-News--a0005046-p0.php

$40?! It better come with a lot of extras for that price. Am I the only one that thinks December 30 is a bad release date? I mean, it's right after Christmas... I think a better time would be before Christmas, or early 2009.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Black_Rose

I don't really care about the release date, i'm just hoping this is better than the shitty live action movies.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Cool, I am all for this, to hell with the crappy films. I pains me as to why the fuck have they never approached George Romero or the likes..

Christmas Day watching RE would be a sweet thing to do, ahh it would be fucking awesome, I could grab the electric carving knife and run around the table with a turkey on my head.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By brukaoru
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Cool, I am all for this, to hell with the crappy films. I pains me as to why the fuck have they never approached George Romero or the likes..

Christmas Day watching RE would be a sweet thing to do, ahh it would be fucking awesome, I could grab the electric carving knife and run around the table with a turkey on my head."
    You know that George Romero actually wrote a script for the first Resident Evil movie but they rejected it? I actually read the script and it was fantastic, the story followed very closely to the games.

Lol. You should videotape that if you do it. :P 
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By DualReaver
    brukaoru said:
    "Linkyshinks said:
    "Cool, I am all for this, to hell with the crappy films. I pains me as to why the fuck have they never approached George Romero or the likes..

Christmas Day watching RE would be a sweet thing to do, ahh it would be fucking awesome, I could grab the electric carving knife and run around the table with a turkey on my head."
    You know that George Romero actually wrote a script for the first Resident Evil movie but they rejected it? I actually read the script and it was fantastic, the story followed very closely to the games.

Lol. You should videotape that if you do it. :P "
    Really? Do you have links to the script Bru?
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brukaoru
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DualReaver
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Black_Rose
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pause422
    brukaoru said:
    "DualReaver said:
    "Really? Do you have links to the script Bru?"
    Yes sir. Here you go: http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html"
    wow I had no idea.. thats really cool. anyway I'm glad there is a release date confirmed on the movie(shouldn't be hard to out do the Live action ones) but I also think they could of done better with a January- February release in 09 or something.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By kush

Well I'm sure that $40 is referring to the retail price of the Blu-ray, not the DVD...and I'm sure it will be sold for about $26 on Amazon! :P ...all I can say about the release date is this: I wish it was sooner. :)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

Now that I know it's Paul Mercier as Leon, I can't wait. Seeing as it at least has the characters from the games in it, it has to be better than any of the abysmal live action films.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PureRok
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Now that I know it's Paul Mercier as Leon, I can't wait. Seeing as it at least has the characters from the games in it, it has to be better than any of the abysmal live action films."
    I'd hope so considering Capcom made it themselves (or at least oversaw production).
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

Every time I rent a movie and the preview for this is on it...I wanna cry at how awesome it looks like it will be!

cryptic_code

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cryptic_code

A new trailer is out for this movie:

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kush

Nice new trailer...I really can't wait to see this movie and I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tanuki

I think I'll pick this up. Although to be honest, I don't know if I'm going to expect much.  But hopefully it'll be good.

And thanks for the link to the rejected original Resident Evil Script, Brukaoru, I'm definaitly going to read through it.

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Carlos

Ill be getting the blueray for this at anyprice 8D~~! im such a RE whore :3

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By brukaoru

@cryptic_code: Kinda funny that Claire has to babysit another young girl, it seems. One of the split seconds showing a monster looked just like one of the stages of William Birkin's transformations to me.

No problem for the script link, I think it's a really good read, a shame they rejected it.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By ThomasP

I agree; not the best time to release this movie. Kids and folks will have cash, but why not push it up for a week before Christmas so it's out for that and Boxing Day.

I'm stoked though I must admit.

Linkyshinks said:

Yup.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Demyx
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Black_Rose
    cryptic_code said:
    A new trailer is out for this movie

Wow that was awesome, my hype definitely went up.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brukaoru

Thought I would bump this instead of making a new thread.

The movie debuted at TGS Friday and 1UP says that the movie answers questions in the storyline, which is pretty much awesome in my opinion.

TGS 08: Resident Evil: Degeneration Makes World Wide Premier 
    ByGarnett Lee , 10/11/2008
    Capcom and Sony Pictures presented the world premier of their feature-length CG movie Resident Evil: Degeneration at theTokyo Game Show Friday. Set seven years after the events in Raccoon City that anchored the survival horror franchise, the film stars regulars Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield. Headed to the showing I wasn't really sure what to expect, but never would I have expected it to provide as many answers that help stitch together the story line and get things in order going into the upcoming Resident Evil 5 as it does (and they even showed a little teaser from the game at the end to underscore the connections).

With the games already well known for their cinematic cut scenes, doing the movie in the same CG certainly takes quite a risk. Indeed, Chris Kohler and Jean Snow who also saw the film ticked off nearly every concern that immediately comes to mind in their pretty dismissive review of it over on Wired's Game|Life blog. While we didn't watch different movies, I think how we watched the same show makes a lot of difference. Knowing it was CG I went in expecting to see basically a movie of cut scene, and that's what I got. Sure, it's going to have a very limited run in some theaters, but let's be honest, this thing is intended as a home video release.

And as the all-CG production gives away, it's also intended for fans of the games. As at least a casual fan myself, I found that the story filled in a lot of blanks and went a long way to establishing some continuity for the series as it grows out of the Umbrella Corporation days. Not to say that it delivers award-winning fiction, but we're talking about Resident Evil here, you don't really go in thinking that it's suddenly going to be anything other than action and zombies with a campy story. On that count it does what it does and does it well. With almost non-stop action and plenty of crazy moments Degeneration puts on a classic Resident Evil show and adds a welcome bridge to the cannon that helps catch us up on the timeline. While I wouldn't tell any but the most serious fans to go out of their way to see it in a theater, if you've enjoyed Resident Evil you'll probably get a kick out of Degeneration.

The movie hits theaters first in Japan, opening October 18, and then will show in North America at the New York City Horror Festival November 13 and in Los Angeles November 18. In the meantime we have some stills from the film that follow below.
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170583
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By clubsandwich

looks awesome, and I know for sure it will be a lot better than the shitty live action movies.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

>_< 7 years after RE2 which makes it a year after RE4 and 40 bux? screw that that better be the blu ray price only.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.