Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 22, 2002

A remake of the first game in the pre-eminent video game horror series, featuring a graphics overhaul, as well as several new gameplay features, environments, and unlockable modes that weren't included within the original version.

Hilarious mod switches out REmake character models with their original PS1 renditions.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Following on from the mods that lets you switch out the remake's bleh (but not entertainingly so) voice acting to the impressively awful delivery, and music, from its 1996 PS1 rendition is one that completes the holy conversion trifecta - the graphics! Well, the character models anywhoo.

Behold Wesker's toolbox crotch! Also, am I alone in thinking that Chris's face actually looks pretty good?
    Behold Wesker's toolbox crotch! Also, am I alone in thinking that Chris's face actually looks pretty good?

While the environments are kept the same, you can now essentially play it as a blend of the old and new, mixing in some of the very original's ''best'' features within the significantly superior remake. This I think actually works to the game's benefit in some cases, most importantly when the voice acting is concerned. The voice acting of the remake wasn't stellar by any means, but it's just competent enough to where it's neither outrageously bad nor uncharacteristically brilliant, and exists in between as just being pretty bland overall. As such, I'm sure I'm not alone in finding the 1996 original's simply bizarre line readings to be far superior.

As for the character models, there's a simple charm to the chunky, polygonal bundles of pointy edges & claw hands that make up the PS1 RE games that I honestly still find weirdly appealing. Similarly designed costumes existed in the otherwise dreadful RE6, which I genuinely found to look superb. Unfortunately, they're all relegated to their RE.net business and can't be unlocked in the main game proper without engaging in the online events they'd plan. Which is a damn shame because they frankly make for one of the best qualities of the whole game even.

I was eventually able to choose one (yes, you could also only choose a single costume should you qualify) and went for Ada, and again she looked pretty fakkin' cool! The downside to all of this was how I had to play more RE6, but I just had to see these skins in action for myself outside of a Youtube video.

Regardless, such intentionally designed 'demake' graphics are basically my 'pixel art', in that they recount a heavy dose of nostalgia that I can still lovingly appreciate. It's baffling as to how there still hasn't been a surge of PS1-inspired games with such graphical art styles.

That such a feature like this wasn't an unlockable in the base game of the remake's remastering is frankly a pretty significant oversight, but PC players at least finally get to experience what I would consider the best of both worlds as far as the Mansion Incident goes. Makes me wonder how animations like the 180 degree turn work. They did add such a feature to the DS remake, but the PS1 rendition was never privy to such a game-changing ability. Not to mention the animations for self-defence items!

In any case, the more important question now is whether somebody will be able to mod RE0 to feature the 'Prototype' PS1-generation models!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Yep, this is great. I love that this exists. The way the (slightly touched-up) 32-bit models clash with the HD backgrounds is hilarious.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

Man, I really like the look of those renders.

I wanna play a game with those models that just looks like the Lego Movie. Just super crisp and with great effects and lighting but with these low poly models and pixel art textures. That sort of faux stop-motion animation thing they got going on too.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

This still looks pretty good to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Stylistically this looks better, it looks like some quirky weird animated movie in these screens and it's doing a lot for me.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

I wanna play a game with those models that just looks like the Lego Movie. Just super crisp and with great effects and lighting but with these low poly models and pixel art textures. That sort of faux stop-motion animation thing they got going on too.

I've always wanted to see someone take the "PS1 aesthetic" and make a modern game with it. Sort of like that whole pixel art thing every other indie developer does, except nostalgic for me (as someone who grew up in the PS1 era as opposed to the SNES one).

This is the most I've ever wanted to play a Resident Evil game. Curse you, @yummylee.

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn... I love this game so much...and now this is a reason for me to buy it on PC... I need this!!

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Awesome :)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

The cutscene animations are something I've always enjoyed as well. The comically exaggerated body language with everybody flailing their arms everywhere only helps to accentuate the lovable goofiness of the games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

This is the attitude towards dumb video game mods that I can totally get behind. Well done to however had this great idea.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By arbayer2

@teddie: If you're into both games aping the PlayStation and Genesis/Mega Drive, and enjoy racing games, play Drift Stage, it'll surprise you. This goes for everyone. Like the Two Best Friends say, I'd love to see a sub-genre of "alternate reality where people develop impossibly high-def PS1/PS2 Platinum Hits games forever" or something. Eldritch had a pretty neat graphical style, if I remember clearly, too.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By The_Nubster

That looks fucking rad. It's all of the best parts of the early 3D-era style, with none of the disgusting swimminess and resolution problems. Any word on how easy/hard it is to install? I suddenly have a hankering for some REmake...

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

this is so wonderful!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbayer2: In case you're not already aware, one of our site's moderators, @chaser324, is the programmer for Drift Stage!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ripelivejam

Count me in on liking it better. Dat Grow Home aesthetic!

e: they HAVE to redo the cover art the same way

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By arbayer2

@yummylee: Duly noted!

Wait, @chaser324, you're Chase Pettit? Oh man, how did I not notice this at some point... you've got a cool game, duder! (Evidently, of course.)

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

That is awesome! As somebody who loves the original PS1 game, I wish i could somehow get these mods onto the PS4 version of the Remake.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Man my eyes must be playing tricks on me but don't those RE1 PSX character mods look better than usual.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By arbayer2

@i_stay_puft: Yeah, I think there was a slight coat of paint added to the original textures during the mod creation process. I don't remember the character's faces having nearly as much detail as they do, though I guess it's vaguely feasible considering the environmental backgrounds were just static images, thus freeing up some texture memory?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's great! It creates this nice papercraft effect. I've downloaded it, and when I eventually pick up REHD I'll be installing it.

In fact, it reminds me of the papercraft cutscenes in Cloudberry Kingdom.

No Caption Provided

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

man these look awesome. I would kill for "indie" games with this PS1 flavour.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.