Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 22, 2002

A remake of the first game in the pre-eminent video game horror series, featuring a graphics overhaul, as well as several new gameplay features, environments, and unlockable modes that weren't included within the original version.

Resident Evil REmake coming to PC/PS4/XB1/PS3/360

• 63 results
    TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

No Caption Provided

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201408/05058567.html (drag and drop to get the link to work, direct links to Famitsu don't work)

The 2002 remake of the original Resident Evil is getting an HD remaster, and coming to almost every console you could possible ask: PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC. Though the game was originally a GameCube exclusive and later ported to Wii, the HD port ironically is not coming to the Wii U. For anyone who has any of the other platforms listed though this is extremely exciting news.

Edit: Second story up with some more details - http://www.famitsu.com/news/201408/05058378.html

• Remastered character models, textures and backgrounds. Character models benefit from updated textures and new lighting. It's unclear how the backgrounds are actually being handled, but word is Capcom has simply used filters on them rather than re-rendering them at a higher resolution.
    • You can play the game in either the original 4:3 or in 16:9. In 16:9 some backgrounds will not fully be in the shot, and the camera will scroll up and down along with the player character's movement.
    • Classic tank controls and new modern control option where Chris and Jill simply move in the direction you point the stick.
    • New 5.1 audio option with remastered sound.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

No Caption Provided

Just the remake, though? Shame it's not a remake & RE0 HD double pack.

EDIT: Also, this is so very clearly Capcom's latest step in trying to make everyone forget that RE6 happened.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Im starting to wonder which has been ported more, this or RE4.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I could be down for this. Resident Evil and thus the Gamecube remake hold a special place in my gaming history. Memories...

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, is this going to be same game, but with HD visuals, or will it be remade in some way?
    Anyway, this seems hype.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forteexe21 said:

?

Remake has only been ported once before this. By Resident Evil standards it's something of a rarity even. RE2 is likely next in line for most ported Resident Evil game following RE4 -- both of which star Leon S. Kennedy funnily enough.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Updated the OP with some new info about the remaster, the quick version is that characters, backgrounds, lighting and sound are all being remastered, you can play in either 4:3 or 16:9, and there's a new traditional controls mode in addition to the classic tank control option. Here's a couple of comparison screenshots from Famitsu. There's a bunch of screenshots in a gallery on that second link, but all of the screenshots are SD so you can't actually tell the benefits of HD. Even in these comparisons you only really can see the difference in the lighting.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128 said:

Though the game was originally a GameCube exclusive and later ported to Wii, the HD port ironically is not coming to the Wii U.

surpriiiiiiiiiiiise :')

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@forteexe21 said:

?

Remake has only been ported once before this. By Resident Evil standards it's something of a rarity even. RE2 is likely next in line for most ported Resident Evil game following RE4 -- both of which star Leon S. Kennedy funnily enough.

I guess re-released would be a better term to count the editions separately. Still, its kind of sad that Capcom is only doing these instead of proper entries.... or even a remake of RE2 which people have been requesting.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By EuanDewar

This is rad. I've always wanted to try out the first Resi but have no interest in playing the PS1 version and I own no Nintendo console that plays Gamecube games. Super pumped for this news.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ThunderSlash

Whoa, rerendered backgrounds was something I didn't expect. This is beginning to sound pretty good.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yummylee

Man, they're really going the extra mile with this! I'm surprised that they've even implemented an analogue control scheme alongside tank controls, too. Plus, the camera will follow you? How does that even work with pre-rendered backgrounds? The hype begins.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Man, they're really going the extra mile with this! I'm surprised that they've even implemented an analogue control scheme alongside tank controls, too. Plus, the camera will follow you? How does that even with pre-rendered backgrounds? The hype begins.

It's almost as though Capcom is beginning to sort its shit out!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Man, they're really going the extra mile with this! I'm surprised that they've even implemented an analogue control scheme alongside tank controls, too. Plus, the camera will follow you? How does that even with pre-rendered backgrounds? The hype begins.

I think the idea with the camera is that 16:9 "crops" the 4:3 view, and then it will just pan up and down along the 4:3 background as you move up and down.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Really? RE1 AGAIN!? Does Capcapom just hate RE2 or something?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fattony12000

Oh...dear...

No Caption Provided

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god. It's finally happening. A remake getting remastered. When this gets remastered video games will be done.

I think that Gamecube version looks great. At the time (still, actually) it just totally blew me away what they were able to get away with on that console, in terms of visuals. This along with Windwaker are games I don't think needed remasters at all. I went back and played original Windwaker and that game is still absolutely gorgeous. The Gamecube had a lot of wasted potential, it seemed.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I'll buy it again. Really enjoyed the remake. GAME were even giving out DVDs with pre-orders that had some pre-release footage of the game and at, like, 12 years old that had me super excited.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000 said:

Oh...dear...

PC version means this game will be playable in 60fps, whether Capcom wants people to or not.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128 said:

@yummylee said:

I think the idea with the camera is that 16:9 "crops" the 4:3 view, and then it will just pan up and down along the 4:3 background as you move up and down.

That sounds... less than ideal. I think I'd rather just stick to the 4:3 ratio frankly. The Gamecube version still looks superb as it is anyway, so to play through that again simply with sharper visuals is fine by me.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@yummylee said:

@taku128 said:

@yummylee said:

That sounds... less than ideal. I think I'd rather just stick to the 4:3 ratio frankly. The Gamecube version still looks superb as it is anyway, so to play through that again simply with sharper visuals is fine by me.

I can see why they did it. Theoretically the 16:9 option would give you better resolution since the camera is zoomed in, but yeah I'd probably go with the 4:3 option as well. It sounds like only areas where not all of the walkable space is on screen would pan, but it's still less than ideal. Nice of them to give the option though rather than just force 16:9.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000:

Let the internet shit-show over arbitrary numbers begin!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

So I just updated the OP again because word is the backgrounds aren't actually rerendered at a higher resolution, and Capcom is simply upscaling them and throwing some image filters over them. I'll update the OP again if the matter gets cleared up but it's disappointing to hear.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hassun

REmake REmastered

Right guys?

... Where is everybody going?

Shame they didn't include RE0.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128 said:

@fattony12000 said:

Oh...dear...

PC version means this game will be playable in 60fps, whether Capcom wants people to or not.

Loading Video...

@fattony12000:

Let the internet shit-show over arbitrary numbers begin!

Well, that's not quite what arbitrary means, but yes, I agree. There will be an Internet Shit-Show for sure!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Okay, there's a good screenshot comparison out now and I gotta say... the remaster looks like shit.

Dammit Capcom why you gotta make me depressed like this...

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YESSSS!!!! Fucking YAY!

My fav RE game is getting a port after all this bullshit time. After all these lonely years of me bitching that it should be ported it finally came true. I don't give a fuck if RE 0 didn't get a port, they can keep that shit. As long as the remake is ported then I feel complete. Time to play a random anime song that I don't understand the lyrics too, as for a god speed celebration.

Loading Video...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

So, it's only a matter of time before RE4 comes to the new consoles too then, huh? I mean, that's the one that people joke about being ported to EVERYTHING.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

@taku128 said:

Okay, there's a good screenshot comparison out now and I gotta say... the remaster looks like shit.

Are we looking at the same thing? The remaster looks sharper and has better lighting, im not sure what you are having issues with, its an older game, its never going to look as good as current get but it looks fine to me.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@taku128 said:

Sharpen filter ALL the things!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@kagato said:

@taku128 said:

Are we looking at the same thing? The remaster looks sharper and has better lighting, im not sure what you are having issues with, its an older game, its never going to look as good as current get but it looks fine to me.

It's sharper because they literally threw the background into Photoshop and sharpened the shit out of it. Look at the chest on the right, how you can tell what it is on the GameCube, but in the remaster it's lost within a pit of crushed blacks, and partially blends in with the chair. It doesn't look as fuzzy as the 480p background upscaled, but detail is destroyed left and right and in an HD "remaster" that's disappointing. Those old backgrounds rendered at 1080p would absolutely look as good as current gen.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lazy developers. Enough with the remakes and remastered.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WOW

WHEN IS RELEASE!=?

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I want this right now.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Palmlykta

I'm sorry but I'm fucking excited, I gotta call my girlfriend... lol I'm such a dork.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jimmyfenix
    damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By damodar

Wooooow that's terrible. They literally just ran the old REmake background renders through an over-zealous sharpen filter. It looks worse :S

Surely they must have those scene files floating around somewhere which they could use to re-render. Although I guess not, because the files they're using were probably just ripped from a copy of REmake, since they'd have presumably rendered at a higher resolution and downsampled in the first place. But presumably they ARE modifying the existing game source, so did they just not keep everything? I dunno, the idea of not archiving work from development projects seems insane, especially when they're specifically getting into updated remakes of old games etc, surely it occurs to keep that stuff for if they wish to do so again at a later stage.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the "remaster of a remake" jokes aside. I'm excited for this.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they do this right, I loved me some classic Resident Evil back in the day.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good news for me, as I have been wanting to play this again. So I'm pumped! Never understood why some people have a problem with these "remastered" releases. Sure they're usually overpriced, with little extra included. But if you love the game and haven't been able to play it without hooking up outdateed hardware, then it's worth it for convenience.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Roger_Klotz

I'm actually excited for this. The remake was my first introduction to the series and my opinion, had the eeriest environment in the series. Since I don't have a gamecube near me at the moment, this will be perfect for me, and I had the itch to play this game again not too long ago itchy...itchy...tasty.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hassun

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (most of all my own) but this did briefly appear as well:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the PS1 version available on PSN?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Oh my God, this is fantastic news. The REmake is my favorite game in the series and I haven't been able to enjoy it for like 8 years, when I got rid of my GameCube. I can't wait to play it again!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunslingerpanda said:

Isn't the PS1 version available on PSN?

The Director's Cut version, yeah.

@hassun said:

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (most of all my own) but this did briefly appear as well:

No Caption Provided

wut

Dragon4234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dragon4234

@hassun said:

No Caption Provided

Oh lawdy.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I bought a Gamecube just to play this game a few years back. In fact, I started playing it again two days ago. Probably going to wait for this to come out. Despite me not being a big fan of Zero, it would hav been nice to see that as well.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, it's only a matter of time before RE4 comes to the new consoles too then, huh? I mean, that's the one that people joke about being ported to EVERYTHING.

I've just noticed your a mod now, congrats.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god I am so excited right now, I've been on an Outbreak kick right now and have never played the 1st so I am all about this, old school RE, yeahyeahyeahyeah.

Now just HDify RE2 and RE3 please, yeahyeahyeah.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.