Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 22, 2002

A remake of the first game in the pre-eminent video game horror series, featuring a graphics overhaul, as well as several new gameplay features, environments, and unlockable modes that weren't included within the original version.

You Have Once Again Entered... The World of Survival Horror... Good Luck!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Edited By Yummylee
    No Caption Provided

It's funny to think that the 2002 remake of the 1996 Resident Evil classic is now plenty old enough to be considered a classic in its own right. Almost thirteen years have passed since its original release, two whole generations have flown by, and the Resident Evil series has gone through some rather drastic changes throughout the years. It's safe to say that Resident Evil is barely even recognisable anymore from what it once was, and thus, we have the 2015 Remastering of the Resident REvil Remake to shine a light on the old ways of the series.

The remake is typically lauded as being one of Resident Evil's best, right alongside other popular contenders Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 4, and there's a good reason for that - many in fact! The remake is especially impressive for how it manages to recreate many of the hallmarks of the 1996 original, while still establishing its own identity. To be sure, the remake is so different (yet familiar) that it can easily stand as its own game rather than inciting a constant comparison to the original. As a remake it's undoubtedly one of the best in the entire industry, and as an old school survival horror game it's not too shabby, either.

No Caption Provided

Now I had already played the remake many times before, and while I admittedly still have much of the game memorised (though not quite as acutely as I do the very original), playing the remake still made for a welcoming return to everything I hold dear with these sorts of games. The remake looked absolutely stunning upon release, and the 1080p facelift has done wonders in allowing its graphical proficiency to grab ahold and smother you within its intoxicating atmosphere.

The Spencer Mansion has become an iconic environment over time, one Resident Evil continually attempts to replicate and imitate. Sometimes it functions as an homage, though other times it can feel akin to blatant pandering and/or a lack of creativity. Nonetheless, the 'spooky mansion' is such a classically archetypal horror setting for a reason, and the remake's is one such standout. All of my time playing the remake throughout the years has actually given the mansion a sort of comforting quality to it. Due to the game's classic survival horror design of requiring an awful lot of backtracking, it's easy to become accustomed with the many hallways and bedrooms of the building. All of the different pathways to get here or there, with many shortcuts to discover, introduces many opportunities to strategise and weigh between which route is the best one to take to get where you need to go. No other Resident Evil game has featured an environment quite as well designed or open to exploration as the Spencer Mansion.

The proceeding environments such as the Residential Building and the Umbrella Laboratory are a little more linear in how you'll progress via the dally of key items you need to continue the story, but even still the exploratory aspect of the remake still stands as one of its biggest strengths. The exploration is of course what then leads into the game's mix of puzzle solving and combat. Both of such elements aren't especially involved, however, and the older Resident Evil games instead peppered the combat and puzzle solving around to compliment the game's atmosphere. Nonetheless, while the puzzles aren't especially taxing, they require just enough brainpower to still feel satisfying to figure out and execute, while also making for a change of pace from the combat.

The combat is perhaps why the older entries of the series have become so divisive throughout the years. While the remake still carries certainly similarities to the latter day entries, specifically Resident Evil 4, with its (default) tank control settings and your inability to move & shoot, they're still wholly different games. Resident Evil 4 is of course a third-person shooter, and a damn innovative one at that. The act of shooting everything in sight and gradually increasing the power of your ever expanding armoury differs greatly from the older games of the series. The remake may also involve a lot of you shooting stuff, but that still doesn't necessarily make it a shooter.

No Caption Provided

The classic camera angles that are still in place serves to both accentuate the atmosphere and provide you with a noticeable handicap within the confines of the game's combat. However, due to the limited cache of supplies on hand, you are to thusly choose your battles wisely. The camera angles may also obfuscate your view of enemies, but, as I elaborated further in a previous write up, every enemy has a tell to let you know they're close by. You also by default have auto-aim, so even if you yourself can't see the creature, your character will be sure to let you know when there's something available to shoot in the face. The combat of the game due to the aforementioned constrictions is thusly a rather simple affair, and the crux of it all is instead centred on the player deciding whether or not it's worth actually choosing to kill whatever you find is trying to maul face off or not.

This sort of design has been the same throughout all of the mainline series up until Resident Evil 4, though it's undoubtedly at its best in the remake. Rather than simply blasting your way through everything, the openness of the Spencer Mansion goes hand-in-hand with your theoretically limited cache of ammunition to ward away the monsters. It forces you to actually think about how to proceed, about whether it's worth clearing out this longer pathway with lesser enemies, or braving the shorter one that may have more enemies to kill and/or potentially avoid. You must also weigh between whether it's worth using your handgun to kill this zombie, which will likely around 8-10 bullets, or instead choose to use the shotgun which could potentially kill it in a single shot. Or perhaps both, where you manage to knock a zombie down to the ground, and then use your handgun to finish it off... Or you could even intentionally have the zombie grab your leg whilst it's residing on the floor, inflicting a bit of damage, but also resulting in an insta-kill that shows your character destroying the zombie's head completely with their boot.

Exclusive to the remake are Self-Defence Items now, too. These are situated within their own inventory space, and with one equipped will allow you to escape the grasp of an enemy and deal some damage at the same time. This then throws in another layer of strategy at your fingertips, as you may intentionally decide to get bitten to be able to use a self-defence item to save on ammunition for your other weaponry.

Avoiding enemies is of course a valid tactic, too. Due to the tight corridors that populate the mansion, however, this may prove tricky. Nonetheless, the fan-coined ''wall hug'' is as effective as ever, and because the zombies you'll encounter are as dim-witted and sluggish as you can expect, environments that are slightly more open allow you to more easily escape from their grasp.

Due to the element of backtracking, this involves a lot of you returning to previous areas where enemies you may have avoided still reside. However the game has a decent sense of progression, as you slowly acquire more ammunition and better weaponry. Avoiding an enemy at one moment may be an easy dispatch should you return later on after locating some more ammunition. As you yourself begin ramping up your bevy of weaponry, however, so do the monsters themselves in a sense. At roughly the midway point, the zombies are replaced by the iconically terrifying 'Hunters'. These are much faster and considerably more dangerous, complete with an insta-kill attack they will liberally attempt to commit should your character's health be in the 'Caution' state or lower. The Hunters as such make for a deviously fantastic means of subduing the confidence you're likely to build as you acquire more supplies and weaponry.

No Caption Provided

Then, then there's the Crimson Heads. Perhaps one of the most ingenious inclusions the remake saw for the series, Crimson Heads are the horrifying 'revival' of the already undead corpses you'll kill. After downing a zombie, you'll notice its corpse will still reside within the area, when they would ordinarily vanish upon returning. This signifies that it's undergoing the Crimson Head transformation, and will then eventually reawaken into something much more ferocious. No longer content in slowly shambling towards you, Crimson Heads will rush at you at roughly the same speed as your own character, and now have access to claws that give them a slight increase of their range of attack. They retain the same amount of health as a regular zombie, although their aggressiveness can certainly change your tune all the same even should you have the ammo to spare. The only means to halt a Crimson Head transformation is to burn the corpse, if not manage to kill the zombie by destroying the head. You'll soon come upon the necessary tools for cremating the undead, however as you would expect the kerosene required is of a very limited quantity. The concept of Crimson Heads thusly add another angle to consider to killing the creature in front of you, and in turn can make the act of backtracking surprisingly anxious.

Even before the transition to a third-person shooter, the Resident Evil series still featured a cavalcade of grotesque boss monsters to fight. Within a design that's supposed to give you the freedom to go about combat encounters your own way, mandatory boss encounters that you're required to kill admittedly flies in the face of what those older games were about. However as such, bosses are actually rather rudimentary as far as attack patterns and tactics go. Most simply require you to shoot, run away, shoot, and so on. They exist more so for spectacle really, and as a means to force you to give up some of your ammunition that you may have otherwise been able to successfully stockpile. Even still, the spectacle allows the many boss monsters to stay with you longer after you've finished it. The undead shark--coined Neptune--encounter still resides as one of the most stressful video game moments of all time personally speaking.

For this 2015 Remastering, Capcom have implemented a few new options to make it accessible for a more modern audience. There now exists a modern day analogue control scheme to coexist alongside the classic tank controls. Results may vary, but I personally much prefer the tank controls, as they feel inline with how the game was designed. The alternate controls are plagued with the same issue that games such as the original Devil May Cry suffered from, being the mixture of camera angles and analogue control. Whereas tank controls would mean Up always meant you would move forward, the alternate control scheme could involve you switching angles and then accidentally finding yourself running in the opposite direction. The lack of animations for how your character moves within this control scheme just looks plain jerky, too. It's appreciative that they're there, and I'm sure for some they're a significant improvement, but for myself I can still play the remake with the original scheme and still manage to feel completely in control of my actions. There's a surprising fluidity to your movement that lends itself well to escaping enemy encounters and rushing past, even with the tank controls.

The other most notary addition is a 'Very Easy' mode. The remake's Easy mode I would feel is accessible enough as it is, but the Very Easy mode likely assures now that just about anyone who's interested in the game, but is put off by the combat, will be able to see it to the end.

Year of The Barry. Or at least... Q1 of The Barry
    Year of The Barry. Or at least... Q1 of The Barry

Unfortunately, and this perhaps makes for my one sole criticism, that's basically all there is that's new here. While Capcom have done their due diligence in appealing to a newer audience with the game's Very Easy mode and alternate modern control scheme additions, there's unfortunately nothing new here to celebrate for the veterans. No additional difficulty settings or anything of the sort. There is at least a new costume for both Chris and Jill, being their BSAA character models from Resident Evil 5, which is an appreciative gesture. However for veterans such as myself, the static nature of the game has thusly made it to be rather easy. I chose the highest difficulty available (which by default is only its Normal mode) as Chris Redfield, who is also home to the more difficult of playthroughs between he and fellow protagonist Jill Valentine. And still did I get through the game mostly issue-free. I still enjoyed reliving it all, and I did still admittedly die the one time, but that there's no mode that would at least rearrange the key items around, or randomise the enemy locations, is rather disappointing. Especially when you consider the number of alterations the Director's Cut and Deadly Silence saw with the very 1996 original.

The graphical upgrade the remake has seen still makes for reason enough to see it through again all the same, however. As mentioned before, the remake looked pretty damn breathtaking upon release, and to this day the original GameCube version holds up surprisingly well. The added bells & whistles thusly make an already superb looking game all the more effective. The remake is now all the more of a beautifully haunting skirmish, with exquisite detail contained within every single room. The dark, gloomy corridors and lighting-laden windows, paired with the perpetually ominous and sometimes penetrating soundtrack, do wonders in cementing the remake as a truly effective horror game.

No Caption Provided

Jump scares are abound, but not overly so to feel gimmicky or worn out. The jump scares are spread around enough to compliment the atmosphere rather than dominate and dilute it. While this element perhaps doesn't ring as true after so long, but the way the remake explicitly preyed on the expectations of fans of the original strengthened the potential for frights. The classic camera angles do an outstanding job at creating a surgically precise gallery of visages and this 2015 Remastering does a great job in reinvigorating the merit of camera angles for the benefit of atmosphere. The new widescreen option also seamlessly allows the game to better show off its graphical prowess, all at the small cost of the game occasionally having to pan up or down within certain environments.

In a weird twist, if there is one thing that I feel the original still performs better than the remake, it's the voice acting. The voice acting of the original is notorious for how impossibly and hilariously awful it is. It has lead to many a classic quote that still rings throughout video game culture in general, and while the voice acting and dialogue of the remake is still rather hammy, it's not nearly as unintentionally memorable nor as gut bursting. That the story takes itself a little more seriously also makes the many leaps in logic of certain characters all the weirder. Of course, such 'Engrish' as seen in the original can never be manufactured and has to happen via sheer serendipity, so with their superior localisation team there's nothing that Capcom have done to recreate such magic as Gerbil Sandwiches and Masters of Unlocking.

Regardless, I am positively elated that this game can exist in this format. The expansion of its accessibility, with how it's now available on just about everything, has allowed it to flourish for a completely new audience. Whether this new audience will take to this game or not is difficult to guess, however it's beneficial that more people are at least aware of one of Resident Evil's best. Could this lead into more survival horror Resident Evil? One would hope the remake may open Capcom's eyes to the reality that such a fanbase exists, though let's not get our hopes up too much. The remake remastering, and not to mention Resident Evil 4's PC version, primarily exists as a peace offering to make up for the shameful display Resident Evil flaunted back in 2012. The less beloved Resident Evil Zero is at least assured to go under a similar treatment, but whether they'll cut it short there or somehow attempt to give games such as Resident Evil 2 and Nemesis the highest of defined love is another question entirely. With Revelations 2 on the horizon, with its many The Last of Us inspirations in tow, leaving me cautiously... curious, Resident Evil looks like it may very well be on the up and up. And even should Resident Evil once again suddenly crash and burn, we can at least take solace that Capcom were able to give the REmake the honour and degree of modern day polish it deserves.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

i always loved this game is one of 2 games i once played from start to finish without ever getting up of my chair this and resident evil 4 :P quick question how d you unlock the bsaa costumes?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkvare: They're unlocked at the outset. Just press Up at the character select screen, which is also how you now select the original unlockable costumes too, which I really appreciate.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I've been waiting for this blog. In fact, I'm surprised it took you this long, haha.

This is probably my favorite game in the series. I'm so joyed to be playing it again. I only ever finished it once, but so much of it is burned into my brain. I owned this game for a year on the GC before I beat it because I was actually too scared to play it. Granted, I don't find it nearly as scary now, but this game has such a dark and macabre atmosphere to it compared to the rest of the series that it made me really fear death like no other game. Those Crimson Heads, man....ugh.

I forgot how fucking brilliant a lot of the camera angles are in this game. Games really need to start utilizing this aspect of design again. It truly establishes a certain feel and artistry that is completely lost when constantly looking over a character's shoulder the entire time instead.

I'm with you on the voice acting, too. It was one of the first things I noticed when starting to replay this again. I had totally forgotten what the VO in the game was like. I guess because by 2002 standards, it was actually decent and I just remember it being convincing but not really noteworthy. Playing it now, it's still actually pretty horrendous, but just regular bad instead of hilariously bad unfortunately.

Also, fuck that new blasphemous control scheme. It really cheapens the game to a large degree.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I won't ever play this again since I stopped after the first crimson head on the Gamecube.

But boy, the positivity for this thing just makes that RE 2 remake even more enticing.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@yummylee: Still haven;t bought this due to nerves about it being way too hard and just giving up on it but man is it tempting. There is something hilariously incongruous about seeing boulderpuncher Chris in that incredibly atmospheric environment though, he shout be wind up punching everything in sight.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not my favorite in the series by a longshot(though it's high up for me in terms of the older games), but this is a fantastic rerelease. It looks and runs great, and it really shows just how gorgeous this game has always been. Though Resident Evil Zero is my least favorite of the games, I can't deny that a rerelease of that would also look stellar. Curious to see how long before that thing releases. Also, I would be so down for a remake of RE2 and RE3 in the style of REmake, but I just don't know if that will ever happen, at least not anytime soon. I feel like a RE2 remake is much more likely, however. More of a fervent fanbase(though I like RE3 better, personally).

The new control scheme is fine, except for when your character freaks out during a camera change. Had a couple of tricky spots with it, but for the most part, I enjoyed it. However, the tank controls are still perfectly good too.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I didn't know about the bsaa costumes either. Is it just a costume change or is the character model the RE5 'roid rage Chris Redfield? That game kind of ruined these characters for me. It's so nice to go back to this one that is, compared to RE 5, pretty sensible.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I kind of want to play this, as I only played Director's Cut for the first time 3 years ago and really liked it. I just bought RE4 though, so I'm playing through that instead. It's reminding me just how much I liked RE5 and that I should really go back and beat it on the hardest difficulty to get the platinum trophy. Anyway, I've added the remake to my steam wishlist and will pick it up eventually.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee

@onekillwonder_ said:

I've been waiting for this blog. In fact, I'm surprised it took you this long, haha.

This is probably my favorite game in the series. I'm so joyed to be playing it again. I only ever finished it once, but so much of it is burned into my brain. I owned this game for a year on the GC before I beat it because I was actually too scared to play it. Granted, I don't find it nearly as scary now, but this game has such a dark and macabre atmosphere to it compared to the rest of the series that it made me really fear death like no other game. Those Crimson Heads, man....ugh.

I forgot how fucking brilliant a lot of the camera angles are in this game. Games really need to start utilizing this aspect of design again. It truly establishes a certain feel and artistry that is completely lost when constantly looking over a character's shoulder the entire time instead.

I'm with you on the voice acting, too. It was one of the first things I noticed when starting to replay this again. I had totally forgotten what the VO in the game was like. I guess because by 2002 standards, it was actually decent and I just remember it being convincing but not really noteworthy. Playing it now, it's still actually pretty horrendous, but just regular bad instead of hilariously bad unfortunately.

Also, fuck that new blasphemous control scheme. It really cheapens the game to a large degree.

Heh, yeah, I wish I could have posted this around the time of the QL, as that would have likely had more people then checking its forums, but alas. And you're spot on by describing the game's use of camera angles as a form of artistry. It's easy to just play the game without paying too much attention, but a lot of care clearly goes into every angle. Be it simply to create an unsettling image, but to also intentionally create a scene where you're moving along while trying to gauge just where the fuck that zombie moan is coming from! After all, what we don't see is always what's scariest ect., so the anticipation goes a long way in building the tension I feel. It really is a shame that there's no indie developer out there recreating these classic survival horror games complete with camera angles, as they make for such an effective method of allowing the director to show you exactly what he wants, or doesn't want, you to see.

@csl316 said:

I won't ever play this again since I stopped after the first crimson head on the Gamecube.

But boy, the positivity for this thing just makes that RE 2 remake even more enticing.

Awww, you should still totally give it another chance :P It's not very expensive and it's now a better time than any to see if it's still too much for you or not.

@wampa1 said:

@yummylee: Still haven;t bought this due to nerves about it being way too hard and just giving up on it but man is it tempting. There is something hilariously incongruous about seeing boulderpuncher Chris in that incredibly atmospheric environment though, he shout be wind up punching everything in sight.

Trust me, this release has been tailored specifically for folks such as yourself! Its Very Easy assures that you'll be able to see it through if you find it would otherwise be too difficult.

Also, speaking of boulders...

Loading Video...

Makes for a pretty good analogy of the series transformation. Back in ye olden days Chris is running away from them, then by RE5 he's bloody battering one via a QTE.

@quarters said:

Not my favorite in the series by a longshot(though it's high up for me in terms of the older games), but this is a fantastic rerelease. It looks and runs great, and it really shows just how gorgeous this game has always been. Though Resident Evil Zero is my least favorite of the games, I can't deny that a rerelease of that would also look stellar. Curious to see how long before that thing releases. Also, I would be so down for a remake of RE2 and RE3 in the style of REmake, but I just don't know if that will ever happen, at least not anytime soon. I feel like a RE2 remake is much more likely, however. More of a fervent fanbase(though I like RE3 better, personally).

The new control scheme is fine, except for when your character freaks out during a camera change. Had a couple of tricky spots with it, but for the most part, I enjoyed it. However, the tank controls are still perfectly good too.

I will direct you to my previous blog concerning an RE2 remake for my thoughts on that matter!

@nasar7 said:

I didn't know about the bsaa costumes either. Is it just a costume change or is the character model the RE5 'roid rage Chris Redfield? That game kind of ruined these characters for me. It's so nice to go back to this one that is, compared to RE 5, pretty sensible.

It's the RE5 character model, though specifically the one from the Lost in Nightmares DLC where Chris actually looks somewhat less of a mutant.

@mosespippy said:

I kind of want to play this, as I only played Director's Cut for the first time 3 years ago and really liked it. I just bought RE4 though, so I'm playing through that instead. It's reminding me just how much I liked RE5 and that I should really go back and beat it on the hardest difficulty to get the platinum trophy. Anyway, I've added the remake to my steam wishlist and will pick it up eventually.

Given you enjoyed the very original then I think you'll definitely be able to get something out of the remake. Also, I hated playing RE5 on Professional mode, just not fun in the slightest. And as someone that would otherwise defend your partner AI, for Professional mode it's damn near impossible to do solo and without the infinite RPG.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I actually just watched Game Informer play both Resident Evil 1 and the Remake side by side. Even Tim, who beat the game a whole bunch of times, was having some stressful moments. Seems it hasn't gotten any easier!

It's a kick ass game, though. I beat the original plenty of times but the remake was 2spooky.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@yummylee: I actually just watched Game Informer play both Resident Evil 1 and the Remake side by side. Even Tim, who beat the game a whole bunch of times, was having some stressful moments. Seems it hasn't gotten any easier!

It's a kick ass game, though. I beat the original plenty of times but the remake was 2spooky.

Man, Tim Turi is a fucking champ. He has his oddities, like how he gave RE6 the equivalent of 5 stars and considers Dead Space 3 one of the best games of its generation, but he's just as much of a Resident Evil obsessive as I am! That, and he's always the guy who somehow manages to persevere through all of those obscure 90s survival horror shitfests for GI's Super Replay. Really enjoying their Raw Danger series currently.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Those Raw Danger set pieces are nuts!! If you squint your eyes a little, it's all incredibly impressive stuff.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Well, I'm glad you've written this so I don't have to (It will likely be given a paragraph or two in my inevitable, eventual, dreadful Bound By Flame blog that I will eventually write when I muster up the mental fortitude to finish that magical turd) but I think you and I are pretty universally on point when it comes to this game... which will come as a surprise to absolutely no one who has witnessed our conversations in the past. It's still my favorite old-style Resident Evil game and it still looks and plays amazing. Some of those camera angles with the benefit of a higher resolution and improved lighting are really something else.

I also played with Chris on Normal (and thus avoided the controversy of #boobsandwitchgate2015) though I didn't realize you could swap to his BSAA outfit until after I had beaten the game. Chris really has it rough early on, y'know? Between 6 inventory slots, not getting the shotgun early and small keys, his early mansion is notably tougher than Jill's (though at least he runs faster, can get random headshots with the handgun and has a better self-defense weapon). I'll echo your sentiments on the voice acting; it's not great but isn't the same level of over-the-top B-Movie terrible that makes the original game (which I played through recently, it's a little rough and man does the music in the director's cut suck) such a treat. I might eventually try to get all the trophies. I've beaten Real Survivor on the Gamecube before, figure Invisible mode is doable with enough saving and a Knife-Only run is doable on VERY EASY.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dezztroy

RE6 is not a bad game.

This was a nice read, looking forward to playing the REmake for the first time myself.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I'm glad you've written this so I don't have to (It will likely be given a paragraph or two in my inevitable, eventual, dreadful Bound By Flame blog that I will eventually write when I muster up the mental fortitude to finish that magical turd) but I think you and I are pretty universally on point when it comes to this game... which will come as a surprise to absolutely no one who has witnessed our conversations in the past. It's still my favorite old-style Resident Evil game and it still looks and plays amazing. Some of those camera angles with the benefit of a higher resolution and improved lighting are really something else.

I also played with Chris on Normal (and thus avoided the controversy of #boobsandwitchgate2015) though I didn't realize you could swap to his BSAA outfit until after I had beaten the game. Chris really has it rough early on, y'know? Between 6 inventory slots, not getting the shotgun early and small keys, his early mansion is notably tougher than Jill's (though at least he runs faster, can get random headshots with the handgun and has a better self-defense weapon). I'll echo your sentiments on the voice acting; it's not great but isn't the same level of over-the-top B-Movie terrible that makes the original game (which I played through recently, it's a little rough and man does the music in the director's cut suck) such a treat. I might eventually try to get all the trophies. I've beaten Real Survivor on the Gamecube before, figure Invisible mode is doable with enough saving and a Knife-Only run is doable on VERY EASY.

Chris' playthrough is certainly much more difficult than Jill's, no question, though I still didn't have too much trouble even in the early goings. I've unfortunately played it too much to properly view it from the perspective of someone heading in with the very first time. I mean, I'm at least aware of how the game just dumps you in the main hallway with no proper guidance, which I personally love, but because I know where to locate more ammo and where best to go first key items-wise, I thusly lack the ability to look at the remake (if not all RE games) with a more critical eye in that respect.

Also, unfortunately the US PSN version of the Director's Cut is the dualshock version that comes with the bizarre and more theatrical soundtrack. In Europe we have the Director's Cut that luckily still comes equipped with the brilliant OG soundtrack. I completed the original too a little while back, to compare it when playing through Deadly Silence, and while certain elements are pretty damn ridiculous (like, as I've mentioned many a time in the past, the crazy amount of invincibility frames Hunters have in particular) I think it's about as accessible as most other classic survival horror Resident Evils. Even though the remake is undoubtedly a much better game overall for a number of reasons, I do still really enjoy the very original. It just has that old-timey mid-90s survival horror charm about it that's easy to find weirdly appealing, especially when the voice acting and dialogue is concerned. Every cutscene in that game is just golden, and if I'm being honest I think it has a better, more eerie soundtrack.

@dezztroy said:

RE6 is not a bad game.

This was a nice read, looking forward to playing the REmake for the first time myself.

No, it's not, it's a terrible game. ;) And thanks.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By pr1mus

I finally played it!

And it's fantastic, but with some caveats.

Caveat number 1: It's no Resident Evil 2! Caveat number 2: It's no Resident Evil 3! Caveat number 3: Fuck Chris.

Alright, more seriously, this is classic RE at its finest. There's no denying that it does what classic RE does best and does it better than any other games in the series but you can see how this is a hopeless battle against 17 years of nostalgia for RE2 and 3 when playing this one for the first time in 2015.

Nostalgia set aside for a second i could see this game being my favorite had i played it when it was new. Hard to tell. On one end i still find the Police Precinct the more striking location to explore compared to the mansion and overall nothing beats exploring the city as a whole in RE3. On the other end this game feels like a genuine horror game. Of course you have the classic spooky mansion in the middle of the forest but also a much more limited amount of combat. It makes every encounter and the decision to fight or flee more meaningful. Mechanically and structurally this is the most sound RE in the series, no doubt about that. And its weird brand of ridiculous puzzles feels much more at home within the context of an old mansion filled with secret passages. You know there's a logic to placing 2 medallions in a fountain to drain the water to reveal a secret staircase that is just not there in RE3 when the game has you placing gems in a big clock to unlock the door to City Hall in the middle of a bustling downtown area...

Then there's the soundtrack. That part falls flat for me. It's just really forgettable. Just like i always found the original game's soundtrack pretty meh too at the time. There's some good music in there and great atmosphere but it just doesn't compare to 2 and 3.

And then there's the backtracking. Public enemy number 2 (tank controls being number 1) for the uneducated. I never really had a problem with either. In fact i like some amount of backtracking. Creates a sense of intimacy with the location. That said here comes caveat number 3. Fuck Chris. He sucks!

Seriously, 6 inventory spaces is just stupid. Always was, even back in 1996. It doesn't make things harder or even just more tense. It just adds an additional layer of tedium to an old design that already has a good amount of it to begin with. This is compounded by the new mechanic of burning zombies to save you more trouble later. Even less inventory space, even more backtracking... ugh. I'll take more trouble later thank you very much.

In a way i feel like the limited inventory space and backtracking are a necessity to make the game works but there are still ways to keep the tedium to a minimum nonetheless and this just did the opposite. I didn't really see this as a problem with Jill and never considered it a problem in subsequent games either but i remember being annoyed at Chris' playthrough back in the day with the original game and it was worse this time.

In any case this is now firmly my 3rd favorite game in the series. At the time the original was nice, it was more RE for me to play back when there was just 3 of them but it never really held a special place in my gaming life. This remaster probably won't either but i do still look forward to the next time i'll be playing it.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my best PSOne memories is beating this game in less than 3 hours with my buddy to unlock the Infinite Rocket Launcher. Take that Tyrant.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Yummylee

@marcsman said:

One of my best PSOne memories is beating this game in less than 3 hours with my buddy to unlock the Infinite Rocket Launcher. Take that Tyrant.

Yesh m8

@pr1mus said:

I finally played it!

And it's fantastic, but with some caveats.

Caveat number 1: It's no Resident Evil 2! Caveat number 2: It's no Resident Evil 3! Caveat number 3: Fuck Chris.

Alright, more seriously, this is classic RE at its finest. There's no denying that it does what classic RE does best and does it better than any other games in the series but you can see how this is a hopeless battle against 17 years of nostalgia for RE2 and 3 when playing this one for the first time in 2015.

Ma tigger.

@pr1mus said:

Nostalgia set aside for a second i could see this game being my favorite had i played it when it was new. Hard to tell. On one end i still find the Police Precinct the more striking location to explore compared to the mansion and overall nothing beats exploring the city as a whole in RE3. On the other end this game feels like a genuine horror game. Of course you have the classic spooky mansion in the middle of the forest but also a much more limited amount of combat. It makes every encounter and the decision to fight or flee more meaningful. Mechanically and structurally this is the most sound RE in the series, no doubt about that. And its weird brand of ridiculous puzzles feels much more at home within the context of an old mansion filled with secret passages. You know there's a logic to placing 2 medallions in a fountain to drain the water to reveal a secret staircase that is just not there in RE3 when the game has you placing gems in a big clock to unlock the door to City Hall in the middle of a bustling downtown area...

I think the Spencer Mansion is generally a much better designed environment than the RPD station. The mansion just feels a lot more open, like how you can collect many of the deathmasks/crests in any order. The RPD station however feels a little more linear, like it's pulling you along a more specifically layed out set of goals. Obviously they're all ultimately linear, though I think that the original Resident Evil allows a little more leeway for you to tackle certain obstacles at your leisure.

Resident Evil 3 definitely got to be a little more open, especially when it comes to collecting the necessary items required to fix the train. Has different cutscenes and events that can trigger depending on the order you collect them too, which is neat.

@pr1mus said:

Then there's the soundtrack. That part falls flat for me. It's just really forgettable. Just like i always found the original game's soundtrack pretty meh too at the time. There's some good music in there and great atmosphere but it just doesn't compare to 2 and 3.

Yes, the remake's soundtrack isn't exactly the series' best. Hell, as mentioned above I think the 1996 original has a more memorable soundtrack overall. That's not to say it's bad or anything, and it compliments the atmosphere well, but it's the sort of music that works well in context and is then immediately forgotten afterwards. The way the Neptune theme begins to ratchet up the longer you hang about in the aquatank will stay with me forever, however...

@pr1mus said:

Fuck Chris. He sucks!

No Caption Provided
    @pr1mus said:

Seriously, 6 inventory spaces is just stupid. Always was, even back in 1996. It doesn't make things harder or even just more tense. It just adds an additional layer of tedium to an old design that already has a good amount of it to begin with. This is compounded by the new mechanic of burning zombies to save you more trouble later. Even less inventory space, even more backtracking... ugh. I'll take more trouble later thank you very much.

In a way i feel like the limited inventory space and backtracking are a necessity to make the game works but there are still ways to keep the tedium to a minimum nonetheless and this just did the opposite. I didn't really see this as a problem with Jill and never considered it a problem in subsequent games either but i remember being annoyed at Chris' playthrough back in the day with the original game and it was worse this time.

In any case this is now firmly my 3rd favorite game in the series. At the time the original was nice, it was more RE for me to play back when there was just 3 of them but it never really held a special place in my gaming life. This remaster probably won't either but i do still look forward to the next time i'll be playing it.

Eh, I think Chris' limited inventory is fine (if not preferable) as it forces you to really consider what you want to take with you, and because all ammo stacks, those extra two inventory slots Jill has available can really go a long way. Yes, the resulting backtracking to item boxes can be a chore, but I feel it's a necessary Resident evil so that you're not able to have all of your accumulated supplies on hand. For a more modern alternative they'd simply not dot around so much ammo and make supplies significantly more rarer, as of course when you know to look there's typically plenty of ammo and healing supplies to find. Instead because of your limited inventory space, that can also sometimes force you to leave certain items behind, which works to the game's advantage. Though they should have at least allowed you to trade items, if not allowed you to leave items on the floor ala Zero.

In any case I think RE2 is perhaps still my favourite, though like you it's got that sweet, soothing nostalgia to help bolster it up a little. I otherwise think the remake is easily the best of that era of Resident Evil. That there's still no version of Resident Evil 2 complete with the 180 degree turn is a damned travesty!

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want to get this. I tried playing the original RE but I just couldn't wrestle with the tank controls. Camera angles were fine, but I could not deal with the controls. It's disappointing because I was getting really immersed into it but I just couldn't go through with it.

Everyone is saying it's great and wonderful, but a part of me would only really want to play this with the original V.O. If I never get to listen to all of that original Resident Evil voice acting then I feel like I'm missing out.

Maybe I'll just have to deal with the consequences that I've missed the boat on the original Resident Evil and I should just play RERemake.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7 said:

I really want to get this. I tried playing the original RE but I just couldn't wrestle with the tank controls. Camera angles were fine, but I could not deal with the controls. It's disappointing because I was getting really immersed into it but I just couldn't go through with it.

Everyone is saying it's great and wonderful, but a part of me would only really want to play this with the original V.O. If I never get to listen to all of that original Resident Evil voice acting then I feel like I'm missing out.

Maybe I'll just have to deal with the consequences that I've missed the boat on the original Resident Evil and I should just play RERemake.

Wait, you told me you had no issue with the tank controls? And it is a shame there's no option to have the original VO switched in, though the PC version at least is getting modded to allow just that.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said I didn't like the camera angles, but playing more into it I didn't have an issue with it. The tank controls I don't like. I'd love to see what the game will play like without them.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Stealthmaster86

@n7 said:

I said I didn't like the camera angles, but playing more into it I didn't have an issue with it. The tank controls I don't like. I'd love to see what the game will play like without them.

Switch to Modern controls and find out. Assuming you have the game.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By N7

@n7 said:

Switch to Modern controls and find out. Assuming you have the game.

I don't have it. I'm just not sure $20 is enough of a commitment to a game I've played on and off across three decades and never completed. I've always wanted to, but the question is: What's the point? I already know the story. I already know what happens. The only thing that I'd want is to beat it. But it's not even the "real" game. It's a remake of a remake. And with the new controls, how would I even know I'd get the same experience that the developers intended?

I didn't want to start the day off on an existential note, I just fell into it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.