Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 22, 1996

The first in a long line of action-oriented survival-horror games, Resident Evil pits a small group of special forces agents against hordes of zombies and other mutated creatures in a mysterious mansion.

Resident Evil Director's Cut (PSN) or Gamecube version?

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By artofwar420
    Original PS1 game
    Original PS1 game
    Gamecube version
    Gamecube version
    I remember playing the original Resident Evil a looooong time ago, and I remember failing miserably at staying alive. Well now that I'm a much more experienced person, at video games at least, I thought I'll give it another shot.

The comparison might not be fair, but if I'm gonna play a version, I'd rather not do it twice, unless the Gamecube version is not just a remake and is better. Or is it the other way around? Like the Twin Snakes vs Metal Gear Solid argument, most say that MGS1 is better. Soooo...

My question is, which is the definitive RE version?
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By artofwar420
    Original PS1 game
    Original PS1 game
    Gamecube version
    Gamecube version
    I remember playing the original Resident Evil a looooong time ago, and I remember failing miserably at staying alive. Well now that I'm a much more experienced person, at video games at least, I thought I'll give it another shot.

The comparison might not be fair, but if I'm gonna play a version, I'd rather not do it twice, unless the Gamecube version is not just a remake and is better. Or is it the other way around? Like the Twin Snakes vs Metal Gear Solid argument, most say that MGS1 is better. Soooo...

My question is, which is the definitive RE version?
    thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By thecleric

REmake is a better Resident Evil.
    There's really no reason to play the original RE1, outside of nostalgia, because of REmake's existence. It's probably one of the best Gamecube games, one of the best remakes, and one of the best looking games last-gen.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By artofwar420
    @thecleric: So there's nothing like the voice acting is worse or something like that? (I know there's a joke there somewhere)
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ
    @artofwar420 said:
    " @thecleric: So there's nothing like the voice acting is worse or something like that? (I know there's a joke there somewhere) "
    I dont think it could possibly be worse than the original.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Akeldama

go with the REmake 

warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By warp

Playing the original version is damn near painful. First gen PS1 games age horribly and that one is way hard on the eyes.  The remake expands on the mythology to make it fit into the sequels and the atmosphere is much creepier. Its also much more of a satisfying challenge what with exclusive monsters like the crimson heads. And the voice acting is LIGHT years ahead of anything in the PSN version.

I guess the only knock on the remake is that you cant make fun of it as you go like you could with the original.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

Get the GC game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

They are certainly different (especially since the GC one goes out of it's way to be both different and similar to the original at the same time), though I am with these other people in saying that you should get REmake. It's perhaps the most polished of all the Classic RE games, and it's actually quite difficult. Plus, it still looks pretty good, while the PS original... does not.

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Sick_J0ke

The remakes going to be alot easier to play when you have to sit through 30+ hours of gameplay. Keep that in mind. 

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By artofwar420

Well, it certainly seems like the Gamecube version is the one to get, too bad it's a bit harder to get than the PS1 version, being that it's now available at PSN store. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a good cheap copy online.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By ThomasP
    @artofwar420 said:
    " Well, it certainly seems like the Gamecube version is the one to get, too bad it's a bit harder to get than the PS1 version, being that it's now available at PSN store. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a good cheap copy online. "
    If you have a Wii then this version should be easy  to locate as it was just released.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By JJOR64

Go for the remake on Wii or Gamecube.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Sick_J0ke said:
    " The remakes going to be alot easier to play when you have to sit through 30+ hours of gameplay. Keep that in mind.  "
    30+ hours of gameplay? Where did you get that number? Even my first playthrough only took 9 hours.
    sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By sloppyjoe

Haven't played the GC version, but I have the original PS1 Resident Evil, and also bought the PSN one.  I remember playing it when it was new, so I still like it for nostalgia's sake.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain

Both, they are two very different games. Although, supposedly REmake is the 'true' version, it's apparently what the creator originally envisioned for PS1 but could not achieve due to technical restraints. REmake is the better game overall no doubt about it, but seriously, play both, both are still awesome games.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Meowayne

Even though everything has already been said (definite version, lightyears ahead, best remake ever, bla bla) I'd like to add that the REmake is incredibly hard, and that it still employs the limited inventory / ink ribbon save point system, which makes it even harder.

Keep that in mind.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Meowayne:

*jaw hangs open* Hard? Whut?! O_o

I guess I come from a different time altogether.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Meowayne

Yes, Drain, Resident Evil, especially the remake, is ridiculously hard if you have not played it every other year since 1996. Very hard.
     Every little item mismanagement can leave you totally fucked, or unable to save your game for two hours.
     If you have a bad sense of direction, you're fucked.
     If you leave the game for a couple of weeks and then don't happen to remember what exactly you were supposed to do next (if you ever knew to begin with), you're fucked.
    If you maneuver yourself  into a situation where you have to go back a bit or travel a long distance unnecessarily, you're fucked.
    If you're not used to tank controls, you're fucked.
    In short, if you don't know exactly what you're doing, in 90% of cases the game will kick your ass.

Sure, it's not Contra. But the game has many ways of totally screwing you over. And if you're not one who likes being forced to play 1-2 hours straight, then you won't be playing it long.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Meowayne:

If you leave a game for weeks, you generally fucked anyway, I am at least, almost any game I leave for more than a couple days I get frustrated and disoriented and have to start over.

As for item mismanagement, it's really not that hard at all, you learn very quickly to carry a gun + ammo, a secondary weapon fully loaded, at least one herb, and current puzzle items leaving one or two spare for pickups. And you always put the ribbons back in the box, always. In most cases a typewriter without a box nearby will have a ribbon next to it. If you are desperate to save, you should be able to waste a healing item to pick the ribbons up before continuing.

Again, if you have the least bit of forethought, you will quickly learn where the saverooms are and the quickest routes to and from them, even with a terrible sense of direction like mine.

Travelling long distances unnecessarily isn't too bad either, avoiding enemies is much easier than fighting them, cept Hunters but by the time you get to those you should have yourself to grips with the game easily enough.

As for tank controls, as you say, it's just because people are unfamiliar with them, show someone who's never played an FPS game any modern FPS and they won't know which way is up (literally)

It's no more difficult than most other games of its time, not inherently anyway, it's just because people haven't played many games with that style of control.

And yeah, if you fuck up and do something stupid, the game will kick you ass. Much like any modern game will for not staying in cover, or foolishly taking a pistol to a shotgun fight, etc, it's just those have more immidiete consequences, whereas in Resi you realise your fuck up and instead of re-loading, people try to slog it out and it ends badly.

It's really not that difficult, it just has an enhanced perception of difficulty due to peoples inexperience, I guarantee you if the roles ere reversed, you'd be saying it about First Person Shooters, or any genre. It just takes a bit of adjusting to that's all.

Although to make a fair point, if you don't read the documents word for word, you probably will be fucked, especially in REmake as you won't know about the masks, crimson heads and how to kill them, or that Lisa Trevor cannot be killed. So I suppose you would be fucked, but those sorts of things don't take more than a few deaths to figure out, and like I say if you think about managing your inventory, saves shouldn't be too far behind. They aren't checkpoints that's for sure, but it's not like herbs are exceedingly rare, or zombies are hard to avoid.

Edit: If you want an easier experience, try and pick up the Japanese version :D I don't know about REmake specifically, but all the other Resi games had their difficulty levels increased because Capcom thought that NA and Europe would scoff at their difficulty and not enjoy the game. So weapons do more damage, zombies grab less, there are more ink ribbons and I think even some places have more save points too. Like I say don't know specifically about REmake. Even then though, they really aren't particularly hard, it's only because the control scheme is different, once you get to grips with it it's fine.
    Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Demo

Play both of them. They're totally different games and each has good points.

RE DC is not that different in terms of playability, and is easier than REmake.

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Demo
    @AgentJ:
    House Of The Dead 2 is worse I think. "I don't wanna die!"
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By artofwar420
    @ThomasP: Anything different in the Wii version?
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThomasP
    @artofwar420 said:
    " @ThomasP: Anything different in the Wii version? "
    Not sure. Maybe the controls would be a little different. I think it's pretty much the same version that was released on the GCN.
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By artofwar420
    @ThomasP said:
    " @artofwar420 said:
    Not sure. Maybe the controls would be a little different. I think it's pretty much the same version that was released on the GCN. "
    So it's not like you have to use the Wii-mote you can use the classic controller?
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ThomasP
    @artofwar420 said:
    " @ThomasP said:
    " @artofwar420 said:
    Not sure. Maybe the controls would be a little different. I think it's pretty much the same version that was released on the GCN. "
    So it's not like you have to use the Wii-mote you can use the classic controller? "
    Not sure. I would imagine you could use the Classic Controller or a GCN controller. I'm sure the Wiimote would work fine, as well.
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By clubsandwich

Get both, they are quite different and both are awesome, but if you'll only get one then go for REmake, by far the best RE game imo.

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sick_J0ke
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @Sick_J0ke said:
    " The remakes going to be alot easier to play when you have to sit through 30+ hours of gameplay. Keep that in mind.  "
    30+ hours of gameplay? Where did you get that number? Even my first playthrough only took 9 hours. "
    I forgot exactly how many hours it took, I just remember that 2 and 3 took around 30 hrs so I think RE1 took around the same. It was also the first PS1 game I ever played so it wasn't really a walk in the park for me.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By brukaoru

The REmake is definitely awesome, I'd highly recommend it over the original.

Also, I'm one of those people on board with MGS1 being better than Twin Snakes, but I won't get into that here. :P

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By artofwar420

So anyone play the Wii version?

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

But guys, the original's box-art is so great!
    I never got to play either, my friend let me borrow a scratched to hell copy of REmake though.

Tsupu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tsupu

REmake is one of the greatest survival horror games you can play, period.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.