Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 04, 2008

Step back into the shoes of Nathan Hale and fight against the Chimeran invasion of the United States in Resistance 2.

Co-op, classes and raids! Oh my! (a worth it for the co-op? post)

mr_registered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mr_registered

So, Resistance 2 is finally coming out here in dear old Europe. Initially I wasn't too fussed about Resistance 2 because I'm an awful person, but upon hearing about the co-op I became all manner of interested. FPS crossed with a WoW raid? Sounds good to me!

So the question I pose to ye who has already played it; How is the co-op (good and bad points) and does it justify a purchase? Also I wouldn't be a fool and completely ignore the other modes, so if they're good too then all the better.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm picking it up tomorrow - YAY!

If you ignored the single player (I've only played co-op and competitive in the beta) for me it's totally worth the purchase. It reminds me of Halo 2 and people can say what they like about that game but the multiplayer was addictive as fuck back in the day and this is pretty similar.

60-player skirmish is phenomonal and the co-op... well... let's just say this will be the totally under-rated shooter that started that particular trend ;) I'm telling you, a lot of other shooters are going to take the co-op idea and market it as their own.

EDIT: Oh and you still do get the single player mode too. Even if you never touch it. Which you will because I doubt it's as bad as some people are saying.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Manachild

i got it yesterday in australia and the multiplayer is well worth the price of admission alone, i care not for the single player at all, but there is a lot of multiplayer content to enjoy. the 60 players works well and with little to no lag when playing with fellow australian people. I was even playing with some americans, and brit's who must have gotten the game early (they were talking on mic) and there was a slight bullet delay from playing with people over sea's but it wasnt a big deal and was still tonnes of fun.

mr_registered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mr_registered

Ahoy guys, thanks for the input. I was overwhelmed by my self generated anticipation, ended up ordering it online from the somewhat marvelous shopto and managed to get it a day before release too.

Had a quick blast on the single and I have to say I am enjoying a lot more than R:FoM, though they've essentially lost their hook of 'WWII but with aliens oooohhhhh' and it sinks somewhat in to the territory of 'just shoot the bad guys' I feel it plays a lot better for it. The single player, gameplay and pacing wise, feels like a 'best of' type cocktail of all the most recent and successful shooters, Halo, Half Life, Call of Duty etc, which by my standards and the way it consequently handles isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Then there's the co-op, combining the slow burn addictiveness and enjoyability of Diablo and WoW with the accessibilty of an FPS... well played Insomniac, well played. It's definitlty at its best when you're playing in a well balanced 8 man team with everyone playing out their roles as they should. Similarly it does get a bit frustrating when some of your team isn't playing to their classes strengths, but I feel that could be attributed to the co-op game being brand new to a whole bunch of people that aren't going to carefully read a co-op guide before dipping into it like a sad/awesome person, such as me.

Also the co-op needs loot!! ...and an auction house ...and mining skills ...and Orgrimmer. Ok maybe just the loot... and the auction house.

As a result of me playing the co-op so intensely I haven't really had a crack at the competetive multiplayer, but I guess there is always time for that.

ps. if anyone needs an upcoming star of a medic on their team, hook me up yo

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

Dude: YES

Get a good headset though, like the PS3 official headset.
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Im glad you are enjoying it. Also, if you want more background in the story, you will need to get all the story mission intels and all the cooperative mode intels. Yes, bad move on the side of Insomniac. Actually, weird move.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Demilich

The Co-op is pretty sweet, though I really need a headset. It sucks not being able to communicate in a cooperative game.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    Demilich said:
    "The Co-op is pretty sweet, though I really need a headset. It sucks not being able to communicate in a cooperative game."
    Yeah, whenever mine runs out of battery it feels so weird, they should have included some simple commands like:
    • I need backup
    • Give me ammo
    • MEDIC
    • Revive me
    Those would really help.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Demilich

I'm so used to hitting E to call for a Medic in TF2, every time I'm on low health I try to figure out which button calls for help.

Spec ops is pretty fun so far, but handing out ammo every .8 seconds gets old fast. I might try my luck with Medic.

mr_registered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mr_registered
    Red said:
    "Dude: YES
    Get a good headset though, like the PS3 official headset."

Was that a 'dude yes' to medic for online co-op, if so add me if you want, my psn is the same as my username, haven't got a headset yet but one should be on its way soon.
    Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Ross

Yeah so far I'm about a 2 and a half missions into the single-player and I'm not digging it that much.  I also haven't touched the competitive mp yet but the co-op is worth the price of admission.  Go medics!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.