Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 04, 2008

Step back into the shoes of Nathan Hale and fight against the Chimeran invasion of the United States in Resistance 2.

Ok Resistance 2 Kinda Sucks, Should I play the first?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Evilsbane

*Warning Super Minor spoilers*  

Alright it is rare that an FPS causes me to return the game, the first time this happened was with Time Shift because it was just BAD. But this one really made me feel bad, I have only owned a PS3 for a few months and most of the games I have played have been fantastic, Uncharted 2 - Heavy Rain - Both Rachets and those were all AMAZING. But in my travels through PS3 exclusives Resistance 1 and 2 sounded like clear winners for me, Aliens invade in alternate history? Sweet. 

But alas I go rent the second one ( I felt that would be the stronger of the two since the first had been out for awhile). Well to put it lightly I played the game for around 5-6 hours and it was one of the worst Single Player FPS campaigns I have ever had the misfortune of playing. 

Frustrating in ways that I can't even explain, nothing was broken, no bugs, no weirdness..    But the guns felt Odd, the controls felt sluggish, the graphics were Meh (Except for the vista of the City covered by giant spaceships that looked awesome, why didn't the rest of it?)  The Stealth Chimeras and the people who designed them can Kiss My Ass. Instant Death...from a FAST INVISIBLE "THING". NO.   And the "story" was the most poorly handled garbage I have seen in awhile, it made Darkest of Days look like Shakespere, I didn't care about any of the characters and they are there one minute and gone the next. But to get to my point.

I have heard rumblings of the first game still being a worthwhile venture but I have a hard time accepting that so I wanted to get your opinions, should I even bother with the first or will I be met with sadness?

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I got the first game for free when I bought my PS3. I'm not a huge fan of console FPS games in general, (I like them on PC though) but I found it really bland and not fun at all. Skip it.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Kornkaos: Reading all that? Its two paragraphs? Lol nm thanks for the input.
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By turboman

The only positive from the first was the online, don't get it now

tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By tomte

dont buy it, if you want an FPS for the ps3, then go with Killzone 2

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Kornkaos said:
    " @Evilsbane: sorry haha no i read the title and i knew right away what I was gonna say... haha so I didn't feel like reading it =P but ya, the only reason this hit was because there really haven't been any good shooters on the PS systems, I mean Killzone tried.. but it was kinda.. not cool, i'm talkin the first one, the second one was beastly, and so when they released Resistance, it was kinda like the Halo moment for PS3 owners.. but ya second game was definitely better so really... don't try it you'll be dissapointed "
    LoL yea I really didn't even Like Killzone 2, It looked Cool and I even kinda liked the  "heavy" feel to it, but the lack of a story and really Bad characters and a really short campaign killed that game for me, I was so upset I had been looking forward to it since it was shown as the impossible trailer.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

The second one sucked in my opinion but I quite liked the first.  Mind you, I played the first back when the PS3 launched so it might not have aged well.  But, the biggest difference between the two is setting and story.  The first one takes place in England among the first incursion of the Chimera.  The biology of the creatures is different then, too.  Personally, I felt that Resistance 2 was nothing but a crappy Halo clone in story and structure.  The original was much better on that front, however if you have issues with game play then I wouldn't bother with Fall of Man.  The shooting mechanics are about the same in both games and multiplayer is much more mundane.  If you decide to play the first game it should be because it has a better story and pretty much for that reason alone.  Otherwise, you'll be disappointed again.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Demyx

Did you like the first one?

I felt the first one was better than the second. I never tried the co-op, but the online in the second was better i think. Its been a while.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Evilsbane
    @PenguinDust said:
    " The second one sucked in my opinion but I quite liked the first.  Mind you, I played the first back when the PS3 launched so it might not have aged well.  But, the biggest difference between the two is setting and story.  The first one takes place in England among the first incursion of the Chimera.  The biology of the creatures is different then, too.  Personally, I felt that Resistance 2 was nothing but a crappy Halo clone in story and structure.  The original was much better on that front, however if you have issues with game play then I wouldn't bother with Fall of Man.  The shooting mechanics are about the same in both games and multiplayer is much more mundane.  If you decide to play the first game it should be because it has a better story and pretty much for that reason alone.  Otherwise, you'll be disappointed again. "
    See I am more a Story > Gameplay I mean if One is TOO bad then its shit outta luck but if the story is good and the game is.."usable" than I am ok with it.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Cerza
    @PenguinDust said:
    " The second one sucked in my opinion but I quite liked the first.  Mind you, I played the first back when the PS3 launched so it might not have aged well.  But, the biggest difference between the two is setting and story.  The first one takes place in England among the first incursion of the Chimera.  The biology of the creatures is different then, too.  Personally, I felt that Resistance 2 was nothing but a crappy Halo clone in story and structure.  The original was much better on that front, however if you have issues with game play then I wouldn't bother with Fall of Man.  The shooting mechanics are about the same in both games and multiplayer is much more mundane.  If you decide to play the first game it should be because it has a better story and pretty much for that reason alone.  Otherwise, you'll be disappointed again. "
    This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By agentboolen
    @Evilsbane said:

" @Kornkaos: Reading all that? Its two paragraphs? Lol nm thanks for the input. "

I gotta say I look at how long those 2 rambling paragraphs where and I didn't feel like reading them either    =)
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Your not missing anything, I say don't play resistance then, it's more of the same, yet less trial and error. Your not missing anything and I also agree with everything you said though.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Evilsbane
    @HitmanAgent47: Wow I really have to say I am surprised by the seeming universal "Meh" these games are getting, I believed alot of people thought these games were "Halo-Gears-Killzone" Killers, guess not. 

Thanks for the input.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TwoOneFive

i thought Resistance 2 was great, and i also really enjoyed the first one, especially playing through it co-op. ps. the stealth chimeras die with one blast from a shotgun. really, not a kiss my ass kinda thing. theyre very easy to kill, you obviously have a seriously slow reaction time. 

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By agentboolen
    @Evilsbane: Sony has a long history of saying this is a "Halo Killer", they even said it with the 1st Killzone that bombed.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Evilsbane
    @TwoOneFive said:

" i thought Resistance 2 was great, and i also really enjoyed the first one, especially playing through it co-op. ps. the stealth chimeras die with one blast from a shotgun. really, not a kiss my ass kinda thing. theyre very easy to kill, you obviously have a seriously slow reaction time.  "

Hah nice, if you read the review on the site even Vinny points out that these things were unfair, Yes they were easy to kill but may I remind you THEY ARE INVISIBLE.

Quote from the review:
     "but you'll also encounter some special units, like the invisible Chameleons. Now, in addition to being able to cloak themselves, they'll also charge you, and they'll kill you in one hit. Apparently they make some noise when they are around, but as far as I could tell it all just sounded like pigeons cooing.  This leads to a lot of try-and-die gameplay" 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy

I really, really like the first one. Don't know why, it just feels fun to play and the guns are awesome.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Evilsbane
    @xyzygy said:
    " I really, really like the first one. Don't know why, it just feels fun to play and the guns are awesome. "
    How do you feel about it compared to the second, did you think 2 was good or no?
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yukoei
    @Evilsbane: I loved the first one and hated the second one.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Yukoei said:
    " @Evilsbane: I loved the first one and hated the second one. "
    See this is the impression a friend gave me which is why I asked, interesting.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " I really, really like the first one. Don't know why, it just feels fun to play and the guns are awesome. "
    How do you feel about it compared to the second, did you think 2 was good or no? "
    I actually haven't played the second because I heard it was terrible. 
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Ineedaname

I do have to agree with the others, at every section with those invisible things, I'm pretty sure there was a shotgun.

There were a few sections that just seemed down right unfair, specifically towards the end when they seem to just throw enemies at you without much ammo incoming.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Ineedaname said:
    " I do have to agree with the others, at every section with those invisible things, I'm pretty sure there was a shotgun.
    If you read the review on the site Vinny points out that he found these things to be unfair as well. There is one scene I remember well, Your are in a canyon and you step out into this kinda open area and Chimera start coming down the hill a little to the left, well 3-4 of those things start coming as well, in that big of an area all it takes it to miss just one of them and you get knocked in the head randomly, I am focusing on the 20 chimera shooting me in the face and I get harpooned by an invisible man...
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By GunstarRed

I liked the first game more but both were pretty boring.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Whisperkill

2nd one is superior

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By canucks23

The first is gettin kinda old, so it'd be rough to play through but i thought it was 100x better than resistance 2

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By sarge1445
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @Kornkaos said:
    " @Evilsbane: sorry haha no i read the title and i knew right away what I was gonna say... haha so I didn't feel like reading it =P but ya, the only reason this hit was because there really haven't been any good shooters on the PS systems, I mean Killzone tried.. but it was kinda.. not cool, i'm talkin the first one, the second one was beastly, and so when they released Resistance, it was kinda like the Halo moment for PS3 owners.. but ya second game was definitely better so really... don't try it you'll be dissapointed "
    LoL yea I really didn't even Like Killzone 2, It looked Cool and I even kinda liked the  "heavy" feel to it, but the lack of a story and really Bad characters and a really short campaign killed that game for me, I was so upset I had been looking forward to it since it was shown as the impossible trailer. "
    dude you dont play an FPS for story you play them for online
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Evilsbane
    @sarge1445 said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    " @Kornkaos said:
    LoL yea I really didn't even Like Killzone 2, It looked Cool and I even kinda liked the  "heavy" feel to it, but the lack of a story and really Bad characters and a really short campaign killed that game for me, I was so upset I had been looking forward to it since it was shown as the impossible trailer. "
    dude you dont play an FPS for story you play them for online "
    I beg to disagree, my favorite FPS series is Half Life and those have a wonderful story that is both mysterious and interesting, just because your used to story's in an FPS sucking doesn't mean that its ok.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Pie

I will no longer buy this then

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Gabriel

Still a better story than Killzone 2.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aus_azn

If you ask me, the first was light-years better than the 2nd. So don't miss it.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By sarge1445

ok well outside of halife and i play them for the murder and the online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.