Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 04, 2008

Step back into the shoes of Nathan Hale and fight against the Chimeran invasion of the United States in Resistance 2.

Resistance 2 ... I can't seem to like it

ProzacGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ProzacGunner

I got Resistance 2 the day before yesterday.

I started out with campaign, I haven't played the first Resistance so I wasn't sure what was going on, but I didn't care much for the storyline at this point. Tested a few mechanics, messed around with the controls, ok fine... plays kinda like a hybrid version of Halo and Call of Duty.

So I played for an hour, decent, pretty fun, though the sea creatures I didn't like.. they can't be killed? Would be cooler if they swam much deeper down the water so you would barely see them and maybe some bubbles would float where they were...

Some things I didn't like aswell, mobs seems to have very high accuracy, or maybe I suck, either way I was getting killed quite frequently on casual, but the thing that annoyed the heck out of me were those invisble one-claw-you-die mob... I'm in that chimerian airship now and it's so annoying.

I will probaly finish up the campaign and be done with it but there are some parts that breaks it for me and calls for me to take a time-out.

Multiplayer

Well...it's a mess for me, 60 player competitive is chaos and I really don't get it , everyone's running around in full speed spraying bullets left and right, I can't get a good feel of it like I did with Halo and Call of Duty. Just to clear it out, I am by no means a hardcore FPS player.

It didn't feel as good as the other games mentioned, when I shoot a guy, I don't see or feel the impact behind the shot, I'm trying so hard to like it since it's my first FPS on PS3 but I feel like Insomniac is trying too hard to make the game something different from the others.

I tried some other competitive stuff but I don't know, I can't seem to like it.

I did like however, multiplayer co-op... I played as medic, seemed like I was auto-assigned as that. It was interesting, the team I had of 5 others did good for awhile... until we got bombarded by loads of mobs popping out of nowhere after a scripted event. But I enjoyed that part of what the multiplayer had to offer more than the competetive one.

So I got a question for those who really like R2 and are pretty tough competetive multiplayers, what's to like? I can't seem to like it... I really want to, do I have to give it time to grow on me so I can get a better feel of it all?  Right now I don't feel it was worth the money.

Just read the last part if you don't wanna read through it all.  Thanks for reading...

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By zitosilva

Yeah, I mostly agree with you. The single player is really weird, I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing besides following the path the game gives me. It's fun, the enemies are interesting and the settings, at least so far, are good. But I'd like to know why the hell I'm going to these places, a little background info would be good.

The competitive part seems to be a love/hate relationship. I don't know why, but I love it. The mess that it is, running away immediately after respawning or else you're dead... I don't why, but I have fun doing that. And after a couple of hours it starst to make more sense and you'll die a lot less than before. I still have a problem with the game's weapons, I don't seem to like any af them, except for the Magnun and its explosives rounds. Try fiddling with the competitive a little more, maybe you'll start to like it. It's fun, but it definitely doesn't compare to the co-op, that's where the real fun of the game is.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot. Playing with the 2 player option is also a lot more fun, specially if both of you suck and can laugh all the time at each other. Being drunk also helps.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gizmo

Seems to me that we need Blood Gulch brought back for Halo 4.

Blood Gulch with 60 players, ala R2.

*drools*
    Kersal_Massive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kersal_Massive

Its just a mediocre shooter.  

The only reason it got a some attention was because it was supoosedly the Ps3's "Flagship" title this year. hope Insomniac dumps this and starts woking on the next rachet
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gizmo
    Kersal_Massive said:
    "Its just a mediocre shooter.  
    The only reason it got a some attention was because it was supoosedly the Ps3's "Flagship" title this year. hope Insomniac dumps this and starts woking on the next rachet
    "
    Kersal Massive, it an honor to meet my good sir, are you still 'reppin the day-saver, and smoking the reefer in the corner?
    And how is little fucking Kev these days?
    Kersal_Massive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kersal_Massive
    Gizmo said:

And how is little fucking Kev these days?
    "
    He sadly hit puberty.........and its never been the same  :(
    kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kilzombie

On my second playthough I've found the story to be easier to understand, and if you really want to get the backstory of the game you have to hunt for the hidden intel. Because that's were most of the info you need to flesh out the story comes from. Because some give you background info on your squadmates and what's been going on in the two years between this game and the first one.
    Playing the first Resistance is also reccomended if you really want to get into the story.
    Playing splitscreen online co-op with a buddy is insanely fun too.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK
    Gizmo said:
    "Seems to me that we need Blood Gulch brought back for Halo 4.
    Blood Gulch with 60 players, ala R2.

*drools*
    "
    you can't have blood gulch with the BR spread lul

anyway 60 players simply isn't competitive at all. hell in halo 3 the ranked 8vs8 playlist died out, let alone 30vs30..............
    shimbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By shimbibby

I also cant seem to get into R2. Something just feels wrong about how it plays. I find the guns take up too much of the screen and the movement of your character doesnt feel natural. Also, the sounds that the guns make are terrible, and weapons do not have any weight to them. I absolutely loved the first Resistance, but I cant say the same about this one.
    The single player campaign is very scripted, and there really is only ONE way to progress through a level. If you do not pick up a certain weapon or go to a certain location, you will get killed and be forced to restart from a checkpoint.
    Oh yea, and I find Nathan Hale to be a terrible character. He has no personality or anything unique about him.

ProzacGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ProzacGunner

Thanks for replying people of GiantBomb.

I agree zitosilva, I'm not loving the weapons just yet, I think there is some potential but I haven't found it yet :) Also, I'm new to the maps so everything might seem confusing.
    Maybe it's just that I'm so used to CoD4 and/or Halo that moving to a new IP and on a new console hasn't clicked with me yet, in theory, resistance 2 sounds awsome. I will give it more time, get friends opinions, and see how I can start to enjoy the game more.

Kilzombie thanks for your input, but I'm not too sure if the story interests that much for me to go hunting for every intel, I've found some, but when it comes to a story, I like it being unfolded to me as I ravel through the campaign without having the nescesity of a looking high and low for hidden items. The story dosen't seem bad, but it feels like I'm not getting much backbone for it to hook me in, and it also feels similiar to other games, but hey, it's a sequel.

shimbibby I agree with you on most points, yeah the campaign feels heavily scripted, i got stuck once at a very early level where I had to go and pick up a bzaooka thing to take down two angry fireball shooting monsters that had a gun with incredible fire rate, everything in R2 seems convenient, I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but it makes things predictable.

As far as Nathan Hale... he's kinda dull, his voice feels generic, I can't say I like his appearance either, he reminds me of a cleaner Niko Bellic with a sprinkled Sam Fisher on top.
    But I haven't gotten that far into the campaign, maybe he just needs to evolve from a Rocky Maiva to The Rock, or Mr. Olympic to the Terminator... but wasn't Nathan supposed to have some sort of power? I can't see much reference to that other than the beginning, sole survivor of something not-so survivevable, and in need of some medicine?

Anyways, thanks for your inputs and have a happy new....HENTAI SODA!? YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! ...year.

bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By bartholomew999

I can't disagree enough with some of the criticisms.  I played Resistance:FOM and though it wasgood(not great), the multiplayer was definitely weak as well.  R2 is one of the better looking games I've played in a while, I'd say that the environments and character models are surpassed only by MGS4.  I've been in a couple of the 60 player matches and yeah they're frantic, but Skirmish, and Core matches with 30-40 players is pure awesomeness.

I would agree that the SP isn't what it could be, but I've got some friends that are playing the coop campaign and that apparently is another beast altogether.

Sorry you didn't like it.   That's how  I felt about Warhawk when I first played it.  Everyone screams about how great Warhawk is, and I'd say that I enjoy it fair bit now, but it took a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.