Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

In the third game in Insomniac's Resistance franchise, you will play as Joseph Capelli, murderer of previous protagonist Nathan Hale, as he journeys across the Chimera-controlled United States.

Resistance 3 thoughts

protomessiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By protomessiah

Having just completed Resistance 3 a few hours ago I have a few thoughts on the game. I am really impressed by all the advancements that Insomniac made in the game. I think the 3 year development cycle really helped them polish the game, so it finally seems on par with Ratchet and Clank. I love the light hearted nature of the Ratchet and Clank games, so it was great to see Insomniac FINALLY get the bleak dark franchise done properly.

I love that you can carry all the weapons you want, fuck realism I want fun. The new chimeran enemies are fantastic, those long legs jumping around a level are so much fun to take on. Its a lovely tactical game, with a weapon for every situation. I miss the boss fights from Resistance 2 but the new enemies make up for the lack of boss fights I think. I love the weapons wheel and needing med kits, fuck realism I want fun. The new chimeran enemies are fantastic, those long legs jumping around a level are so much fun to take on. Its a lovely tactical game, with a weapon for every situation. I miss the boss fights from Resistance 2 but the new enemies make up for the lack of boss fights I think

I am going to go into spoiler territory now so you have been warned if you are reading this:

The level on the train where you are captured and brought to prison to be in a bum war was so unexpected and amazing, it was like I was playing Condemned 3. It was refreshing to not fight chimera for a while and just bash some humans to death with a sledge hammer. Malikov dies brutally, but the revenge you reap on Mick, his killer, was probably the most cinematic moment in the game. It was a really good level and I think it added a lot to the game.

The level design was very linear at times but overall its a great game and really surprises me because when I watched the E3 footage I thought it looked very poor. I think it would be fair to say that its a triple A title in terms of its quality, and its a pity that it probably won't get the sales it deserves. I have a review of it done if anyone is interested.

http://www.giantbomb.com/resistance-3/61-29021/user-reviews/?review_id=20751

protomessiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By protomessiah

Having just completed Resistance 3 a few hours ago I have a few thoughts on the game. I am really impressed by all the advancements that Insomniac made in the game. I think the 3 year development cycle really helped them polish the game, so it finally seems on par with Ratchet and Clank. I love the light hearted nature of the Ratchet and Clank games, so it was great to see Insomniac FINALLY get the bleak dark franchise done properly.

I love that you can carry all the weapons you want, fuck realism I want fun. The new chimeran enemies are fantastic, those long legs jumping around a level are so much fun to take on. Its a lovely tactical game, with a weapon for every situation. I miss the boss fights from Resistance 2 but the new enemies make up for the lack of boss fights I think. I love the weapons wheel and needing med kits, fuck realism I want fun. The new chimeran enemies are fantastic, those long legs jumping around a level are so much fun to take on. Its a lovely tactical game, with a weapon for every situation. I miss the boss fights from Resistance 2 but the new enemies make up for the lack of boss fights I think

I am going to go into spoiler territory now so you have been warned if you are reading this:

The level design was very linear at times but overall its a great game and really surprises me because when I watched the E3 footage I thought it looked very poor. I think it would be fair to say that its a triple A title in terms of its quality, and its a pity that it probably won't get the sales it deserves. I have a review of it done if anyone is interested.

http://www.giantbomb.com/resistance-3/61-29021/user-reviews/?review_id=20751

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Aetheldod

It was ok , this is what Resistance 2 should´ve been , the problem is that I a bit tired of this type of FPS at the moment so my enjoyment wasnt all that great. Altho the weapon leveling seems like a good idea and should be applied to more games. The enviroments are so pretty thta it is a shem that it is not a bit more open ended world a la Borderlands , but that would be not a Resistance game. For fans of the game this is the best one I say.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    protomessiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By protomessiah

Yea I am a bit jaded of the FPS genre at the moment as well. So much so that I am not particularly interested in modern warfare 3 or battlefield 3. What I liked about resistance 3 was that it just suspends realism for a good old fashioned health kit required battle with aliens for the fate of the world. It was a fun romp, could have been better but could have been a lot worse as well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I hope you know that your second paragraph is the same thing twice.

Other than that? Well, I hope to get Resistance 3 at some point. The general consensus seems to be that it's much better than its admittedly average predecessors.

protomessiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By protomessiah

oh yea your right lol, thanks I have changed it. I was writing it fast, just getting thoughts out there. Yes its definitely worth getting, though maybe wait for it to be a bit cheaper because its about 8-10 hours and the multiplayer is not exactly mind blowing.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Afroman269

It looks good and all but I really don't care about that franchise. The past games turned me off to the point that R3 being somewhat better isn't enough for me to want to play it.

protomessiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By protomessiah

Yes I didn't like the first one at all to be honest, and the second game was good but made some mistakes. I think this one is significantly improved. I would equate it to the jump from Assassins Creed 1 to Assassins Creed 2. Having said that, this game is not going to win any one over to the franchise. If you don't like the core gameplay then you still won't like it. Still, totally fair point you make, and I agree that it is far from the most exciting game out at the moment. I only bought it myself because I has a gift card.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spoonman671

I enjoyed the game, but I still have some issues with it. I wish that it took a more balanced approach to the health system along the lines of Fall of Man (there is an unlockable cheat for this though) or at least something to slowly regenerate you back up to around 30% so your screen will stop pulsing in red. Being unable to turn off the aim assist is really shitty, and the ending was pretty uneventful.

My biggest complaint has to be that the game was just too short. It never really has time to develop a narrative or create interesting characters. Resistance 2's ending could have allowed for a lot of interesting directions for the series' story to go, but it just didn't happen.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By emkeighcameron

@protomessiah said:

I love that you can carry all the weapons you want, fuck realism I want fun. The new chimeran enemies are fantastic, those long legs jumping around a level are so much fun to take on. Its a lovely tactical game, with a weapon for every situation. I miss the boss fights from Resistance 2 but the new enemies make up for the lack of boss fights I think.

@protomessiah said:

I love the weapons wheel and needing med kits, fuck realism I want fun. The new chimeran enemies are fantastic, those long legs jumping around a level are so much fun to take on. Its a lovely tactical game, with a weapon for every situation. I miss the boss fights from Resistance 2 but the new enemies make up for the lack of boss fights I think

@protomessiah said:

fuck realism I want fun

@protomessiah said:

fuck realism

@protomessiah said:

fuck

@protomessiah said:

fuck

@protomessiah said:

fuck

protomessiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By protomessiah

Yes I can't believe that they opened the door about what was talking to Hale at the end of 2 and then never resolved it. REALLY annoying. There were some parts in the game, especially chapter 17-18 when I had a few frustrating deaths from silly things so I second the idea of health regenerating to 30%. I still respect the design decision that they took to have it not regenerate at all, but I would prefer your idea. 

It is a bit short, a problem I am having with a lot of new games. I did it in just over 9 hours so that was a bit disappointing, I could have sworn that fall of man was longer, but maybe I am wrong on that. They definitely underused the plot elements that they had from the series, and I am not sure why considering they had 3 years. Still I enjoyed the game despite these flaws.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

I've heard people say nine hours as well, but I finished it much faster. I think I came in at under six hours. I also heard Patrick say that he had most of his weapons fully upgraded by the time he beat the game, but I only had two or three. I think I probably just didn't die that much so a progressed faster and had fewer opportunities to use my guns.

protomessiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By protomessiah

Wow you must be really good at it. I was dying a fair bit so that probably padded the game out a bit. I was playing on normal but I still thought the game was fairly tough and yea I had nearly all of my weapons maxed but that was because of all the replaying sections I was having to do. Actually, when you mention the ending being disappointing I agree and I actually think a lot of the games I have played this year so far have had poor endings. I hated the Deus Ex ending and Killzone 3 ended awfully, among other games. Its a nasty trend.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DonPixel
    @protomessiah said:

I respect  Imsomniac now, they've been strugling with this franchise poor reception since the first one yet they clearly worked their asses this time arround to deliver a Cool Fking Game..  The atmosphere and visuals remains me of Metro 2033 probably my favorite FPS campaign ever.  

and yeah fuck realismo that shit is boring

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.