Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

In the third game in Insomniac's Resistance franchise, you will play as Joseph Capelli, murderer of previous protagonist Nathan Hale, as he journeys across the Chimera-controlled United States.

Sony Confirms its Own 'Online Pass,' Starting With Resistance 3

• 176 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    If Sony's making the dive into the Online Pass initiative, will Microsoft follow?
    If Sony's making the dive into the Online Pass initiative, will Microsoft follow?

Over the holiday weekend, there was growing evidence Sony would be starting an "Online Pass" program, a way of combating the rise of used game sales, with a similarly titled "PSN Pass."

The basic idea is locking some (or all) online content behind a code included with new copies of a game. When redeemed, that code's useless. If a consumer turns in that game to GameStop, whoever purchases it used will have to purchase another code to access the locked content. In general, purchasing a new Online Pass has cost $10.

Beginning with Resistance 3, Sony will have their own variation of this, the company has confirmed. The original rumor, based on some leaked packaging from overseas, dubbed it PSN Pass, but Sony made no reference to that name in today's statement.

"We are always evaluating new programs for our online offering," said the company, "and starting with Resistance 3 this September, we will be instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities. This program will be game-specific. Games that are a part of this program will include a single-use registration code that grants the account holder redeeming the code full online access for that title. This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio."

There are some key phrases in this statement.

One, "game-specific." Right now, Sony's not willing to say this will extend to all of its upcoming releases, which include a multitude of multiplayer-centric games, like Twisted Metal and Uncharted 3. However, "instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities" suggests it's definitely on the table.

Two, "full online access." That doesn't exactly detail what will or won't be locked away.

Three, "network pass program." Sounds like "PSN Pass" may not be the final name.

We also don't know how much a new code will cost, but given how this statement is reactionary, caused by an oversight on Sony's part, the lack of details is hardly surprising. If the company's willing to say something is in the works today, though, an official announcement should be coming soon.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Over the holiday weekend, there was growing evidence Sony would be starting an "Online Pass" program, a way of combating the rise of used game sales, with a similarly titled "PSN Pass."

The basic idea is locking some (or all) online content behind a code included with new copies of a game. When redeemed, that code's useless. If a consumer turns in that game to GameStop, whoever purchases it used will have to purchase another code to access the locked content. In general, purchasing a new Online Pass has cost $10.

Beginning with Resistance 3, Sony will have their own variation of this, the company has confirmed. The original rumor, based on some leaked packaging from overseas, dubbed it PSN Pass, but Sony made no reference to that name in today's statement.

"We are always evaluating new programs for our online offering," said the company, "and starting with Resistance 3 this September, we will be instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities. This program will be game-specific. Games that are a part of this program will include a single-use registration code that grants the account holder redeeming the code full online access for that title. This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio."

There are some key phrases in this statement.

One, "game-specific." Right now, Sony's not willing to say this will extend to all of its upcoming releases, which include a multitude of multiplayer-centric games, like Twisted Metal and Uncharted 3. However, "instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities" suggests it's definitely on the table.

Two, "full online access." That doesn't exactly detail what will or won't be locked away.

Three, "network pass program." Sounds like "PSN Pass" may not be the final name.

We also don't know how much a new code will cost, but given how this statement is reactionary, caused by an oversight on Sony's part, the lack of details is hardly surprising. If the company's willing to say something is in the works today, though, an official announcement should be coming soon.

teeknuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By teeknuts

Not that surprising really.

Oscrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Oscrix

Completely gross. There goes another reason to tout the PS3 over the 360.

IgnisPhaseOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By IgnisPhaseOne

As expected.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cincaid

@Oscrix said:

Hope you're wearing flame-proof clothes, soon the blue names will arrive. :(

Rincewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Rincewind

More penny pinching from the industry :(

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

Haha, and people bitched about friend codes on the Wii.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By williamhenry

@Oscrix said:

At least you don't have to pay $60 a year to be able to play online.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By buft

after the recent troubles im sure some of the money from this will go back into innovating new security measures and ensuring that your playstation experience is everything it could be. 

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Kyle
    @Claude said:

Right... Because friend codes are fucking horrible. ............. (??????)
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By iamjohn

They already did this with the last Socom for PSP, though, and I'm pretty sure ModNation PSP had something similar. It's not exactly new, just something they haven't done on consoles before.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hollitz

Oh no, I hate buying games that haven't been scratched up and shat on that comes with an instruction manual that's always been dunked in fruit punch.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

Great!

Everyone loves online passes!

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ESREVER

I buy all my games new, so this doesn't really bother me.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive

w/e

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Branthog

More "fuck the consumer" innovation. Have more than one gamer in the household? You get to pay us more money! You know, the same way you have to pay extra money for cable if you have two viewers in the household. Or how you have to pay double for a music CD or DVD if there is more than one person in the household.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Branthog

@Kyle said:

I AM COMPLETELY SHOCKED AND ALSO OUTRAGED! RAAAAAAH! I will also now sit here in this comment section for the rest of the day, furiously arguing idiotic points with other idiots until we all pass out! Seriously though, whatever. People who make things and maintain them want to get payed for them. Go figure.

I don't give a fuck what they want. I already bought the game. I shouldn't have to pay $10 more so my roommate can play the game, too. The same way I shouldn't have to buy another copy of a book, movie, CD, cable subscription, internet subscription, or other service or consumable just because there might be more than one person in my household who might utilize it.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By grilledcheez

Kinda lame

hbk619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hbk619
    @ESREVER said:
    It really shouldn't bother many.

If you're willing to be cheap and wait for a game to be pre-owned price to play the game, then you deserve to be paying $5-$10 extra to access the online functionality. Buying a game new, means you don't pay anything extra on top of that new game price. It's fair.

I do feel for those who share games between friends, but generally you don't do that for the online parts of the game, it's more for the single player or story aspect.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JoeyRavn

@hollitz said:

Oh no, I hate buying games that haven't been scratched up and shat on that comes with an instruction manual that's always been dunked in fruit punch.

You should change the place you buy used games from ASAP. I've never had any problems like those you mention.

Also, pro tip: before giving your money to the store clerk, check the back of the DVD to see if it's scratched and the manual (oh, so important manual) to look for fruit punch stains. If any of those two conditions apply, don't buy it.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RobertOrri

@DivineCC said:

@Oscrix said:

No, but if you're one of the many folks who buy their games used all the time, you're now forced to either buy the games you want to play online at a premium new or buy these passes alongside each used copy of the games.

This won't apply to all PS3 games, of course, and Sony is just testing the waters... but this is the shape of things to come.

Homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Homeslice

Seeing this as "fuck the consumer" is so black-and-white...

If piracy wasn't so rampant (across several platforms, not just Sony) and if the Used Game market wasn't so lucrative, online passes wouldn't exist. This idea exists to plug a hole, not purely to add a new revenue stream.

daviddoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By daviddoel

The Sony published SOCOM 4 already had something very similar to this, it was called SOCOM Pro. If you bought the game new you got a code that allowed you access to the Custom room playlists, and the first DLC pack that came out (3 new maps and some weapons) free.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By falserelic

Yep more Sony bullshit.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dragonzord

@Branthog said:

@Kyle said:

I AM COMPLETELY SHOCKED AND ALSO OUTRAGED! RAAAAAAH! I will also now sit here in this comment section for the rest of the day, furiously arguing idiotic points with other idiots until we all pass out! Seriously though, whatever. People who make things and maintain them want to get payed for them. Go figure.

I don't give a fuck what they want. I already bought the game. I shouldn't have to pay $10 more so my roommate can play the game, too. The same way I shouldn't have to buy another copy of a book, movie, CD, cable subscription, internet subscription, or other service or consumable just because there might be more than one person in my household who might utilize it.

The company brown noses like being fucked in the ass.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By StingingVelvet

I've been used to this on the PC for like 15 years now. I don't have an issue with it, online services and maintenance are exactly the things companies should make sure they get paid for. DRM on an online title is also not an issue, since being online is an inherent part of playing an online game in the first place.

I am totally against DRM and this kind of stuff on singleplayer titles though.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27  Edited By bassman2112

My god, all of you people are fucking jaded and rude.

This is good for publishers and game makers, it means their work is actually making them some money and they won't be destroyed by the used market. Is it really going to kill you if you pick up a used game to pay $5 extra to support the people who made the game?!

I seriously don't get why you all are being so vehemently against this! I'm 100% fine with it and think it makes perfect sense.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Claude

@Kyle said:

@Claude said:

Right... Because friend codes are fucking horrible. ............. (??????)

Sure they are, but almost every game you buy today has some long ass code involved. Now when people buy a game, they'll have to enter their online pass code and some form of DLC code. I never understood how people could be so anal about friend codes when codes are everywhere.

Krampus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By Krampus

It was only a matter of time for this to happen. I don't blame Sony for trying to make up or lost sales.  As long as they are around and continue to offer better products than Microsoft at about the same price then I am happy.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By coakroach

Pre-owned games have been around for how long now? 
    This is absurd, an ugly swipe at a benign aspect of the games industry.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By onarum
    @HBK619 said:
    If you're willing to be cheap and wait for a game to be pre-owned price to play the game, then you deserve to be paying $5-$10 extra to access the online functionality. Buying a game new, means you don't pay anything extra on top of that new game price. It's fair.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Not too sure how I feel about this.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By amir90

It is basically because of the used games market. 
    Don't really mind tbh.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By louiedog
    @DivineCC said:

@Oscrix said:

Do many people actually pay $60? A year of gold goes on sale for $35-$40 all the time and there have been a ton of deals on the dashboard like $1 for a month, sometimes letting you buy up to 6 at a time. Paying $60 for gold is like paying the sticker price on a car or mattress. It's a silly thing to do.
    Da_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Da_Madness

Makes good business sense to me.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By CosmicQueso

@Branthog said:

More "fuck the consumer" innovation. Have more than one gamer in the household? You get to pay us more money! You know, the same way you have to pay extra money for cable if you have two viewers in the household. Or how you have to pay double for a music CD or DVD if there is more than one person in the household.

Part of your initial investment pays for the online servers for your expected online play time. That doesn't mean that everyone else can use it for free. A DVD, CD, Book, etc don't cause the producers of that content more when your friend borrows it. Here there's an additional cost. Key difference. Oh, and yeah, anyone can play the game all they want. Just not the online. But, hey, rage on internet!

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#37  Edited By MightyDuck
    @ESREVER said:
    Same here, if it's a new release that I want, I usually buy it new.  This doesn't affect me really.  
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SomeJerk

Sweet, thanks for making this happen GameStop who turned used game sales into their greatest source of income.

rndmtask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rndmtask

Sony, stop making these so goddamned complicated. Make PSN+ mandatory to play online, one price one service, for all games. Keep it simple, stupid.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By onarum
    @Branthog said:

Yes I agree, your roommate shouldn't have to pay 10 extra bucks to play online, he should get another copy of the game altoguether.....

your logic makes no sense, if you mean you'd share a copy of a game to play with your buddy in 2 different PS3s, well, that's obviously impossible with or without online passes, if you mean you'd just lend the game to him and he's your roommate it means he can play the game on your PS3 meaning another online pass won't be required, simple.
    Altersparck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Altersparck

This doesn't really surprise me, given the relative acceptance EA's own online pass program has seen. And if anyone's to be blamed for the rise of online passes, it's Gamestop and the publishers. Gamestop pushes used games so hard that online passes became inevitable and publishers keep pricing at or near $60 for so long that consumers gravitate towards any used copies. 

But for Sony's part, an online pass program is probably more of an attempt to give themselves another revenue stream for PSN. Bandwidth ain't cheap, folks, and the games need to keep playing.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By onarum
    @rndmtask said:

Sony, stop making these so goddamned complicated. Make PSN+ mandatory to play online, one price one service, for all games. Keep it simple, stupid.

That wouldn't do absolutely anything to help with the used sales problem.
    TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By TehFlan

I don't really play games online, so whatever.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By laserbolts

If I do buy a game used it's always like a year or more after it came out. 90% of the time there is no one even playing the game online anymore anyways so this makes no difference to me. The only thing that sucks about it is having to put in a code every time you buy a game which really isn't a big deal.

smithz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By smithz2

I feel like people over react or misunderstand things like this a lot. If you buy the game new it will not change your experience at all. If you buy it used, then ~$10 for multiplayer isn't that big of a deal if the used price was low enough.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RE_Player1

These passes don't bother me. I buy my games new all the time, at full price or on sale, so this pass, the MK pass or EA's passes don't effect me.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shivoa

Welcome back CD keys, you've been less than everywhere for too long.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By laserbolts
    @rndmtask

I don't see how this is at all complicated. Also that is a terrible idea.
    VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By VegasAceVII
    @ESREVER said:
    Same here.
    Apollo87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Apollo87
    @onarum said:
    @Branthog said:

if you mean you'd just lend the game to him and he's your roommate it means he can play the game on your PS3 meaning another online pass won't be required, simple.
    Isn't the online pass account specific? I only own 1 game that uses online pass (NFS:HP) and I haven't tried to log on other accounts. 

Anyway I also buy all my games new so I'm not really bothered by this and I think it makes perfect business sense and as long as games also have a 2 or 3 day trial so when you borrow or rent a game you can check out the online aspects. 

Case in mind,  recently I rented Dirt 3 and wasn't able to go online since it didn't have one of these trials, I was pretty much on the fence for this game but eventually decided not to buy it, I don't know if the online could've turned this the other way but it was a part of the game I wasn't able to experience to make my mind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.