Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance: Fall of Man

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 14, 2006

Resistance: Fall of Man is the first in a franchise of first-person shooters from Insomniac Games. Set in an alternative version of 1951, you follow the story of Sgt. Nathan Hale as he and the human resistance forces attempt to drive a mysterious alien-like invasion out of Britain.

Cant stop playing!

gazcrawfo8692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gazcrawfo8692

I picked up the resistance trilogy yesterday for dirty cheap all preowned and wow! I started playing fall of man yesterday morning an i cant put it down, cant believe iv never given this a try before. The gameplay is so simple yet so addictive an does require a tactical approach which i love. I know the graphics havent aged well but does that really matter lol. The game reminds me of halo and half life an that cant be a bad thing. The game as surprised me so much. It can be extremely difficult at times and the checkpoints are very unforgiving but the challenge is what makes this game great!!

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

the co-op is pretty fun too. i played through the entire campaign on my first run with a friend and it was a blast.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Yeah... I played through it last year. I remember it being a fine game, though I don't remember much of it. Probably because the story was so thin, wasn't it just told through very short cut-scenes between chapters? You're half alien Nathan Hale, you're trying to stop... the aliens. But they weren't aliens, they were... something else. And they wanted eternal winter or something, right? Oh yeah, and wasn't this one of those weird cases where the protagonist was silent in the first game, but he spoke during the second? Anyway, I still haven't played Resistance 3, I should do that at some point.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kermoosh

i played the first few missions with a friend and i really enjoyed it

@gazcrawfo8692 said:

I know the graphics havent aged well

they seem pretty fresh to me, halo ce still looks fantastic in my mind

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cannonballbam

@gazcrawfo8692: *cough* skip Resistance 2 *cough*

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

The first was a lot of fun, and co-op was fantastic. 2 was cool, though the combat gives you a lot less freedom.

3 is one of my favorite shooters this generation. Great story, fantastic gameplay, and a smaller scale that makes its set pieces feel very intense. Been meaning to replay it but there just hasn't been time.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @AjayRaz

the co-op is pretty fun too. i played through the entire campaign on my first run with a friend and it was a blast.

The co-op in FoM is hilarious too. The second player is a black guy who is never acknowledged, leading to some of the most unintentionally hilarious moments in recent memory. "Thanks for saving us, Hake. Can't believe you did that ALL BY YOURSELF WITH NO HELP."
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258
    @cannonballBAM

@gazcrawfo8692: *cough* skip Resistance 2 *cough*

Agreed. I think the third one is the best of all. The first was ok, nothing special to me, but the third delivered a good story that was dark without being angsty.
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Silver-Streak

Resistance 2 8-man Co-op is fantastic, as it's completely separate from Singleplayer. However, if I remember right, the servers are now shut down. :(

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@TooWalrus said:

Yeah... I played through it last year. I remember it being a fine game, though I don't remember much of it. Probably because the story was so thin, wasn't it just told through very short cut-scenes between chapters? You're half alien Nathan Hale, you're trying to stop... the aliens. But they weren't aliens, they were... something else. And they wanted eternal winter or something, right? Oh yeah, and wasn't this one of those weird cases where the protagonist was silent in the first game, but he spoke during the second? Anyway, I still haven't played Resistance 3, I should do that at some point.

Yeah, the save-the-world-story of the first two was both undercooked and poorly presented. There was so much potential there, but I felt it fell into a lot of cliches. Supposedly, the third one shifted to a more personal tone that was a lot more effective. The tone for the initial teaser trailer makes it look like something that could be really interesting. I know the finished product wasn't exactly like that, but the trailer pretty much represents the potential I thin the series has (had?).

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jrinswand

I tried playing the first two Resistance games but I could just never get into them. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any FPS PS3 exclusives that I've liked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resistance: Fall of Man is fantastic. Unfortunately it all goes downhill after it.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By awesomeusername

THEN TAKE THE DISC! AND BREAK IT IN HALF!!!!!!

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By huntad

I think the first Resistance is a solid game. I like the art style, the enemies, and the gunplay. I do not care for the damage model, the story, or the multiplayer though (not coop).

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Hizang

I enjoyed Resistance Fall of Man more than it's two followups, I'm not sure if its because it was one of the first PS3 games I played and beat though. I recall having a fantastic multiplayer experience, I played so much of this online, it being my first online console game too helped.

FearMyFlop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FearMyFlop

I loved Resistance 2 at the time, and mainly for some of the settings it put you in. I loved to look around the Chicago level even though that was the crap level with the saw blade gun bullshit. Resistance 3 however was really really good and I loved it. The gun play was great, I LOVED the whole leveling up process for your guns and wish more shooters would do that. Take the story for what it is but the Resistance trilogy felt like it came and went without a whisper which is a fucking shame really.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@TooWalrus said:

Yeah... I played through it last year. I remember it being a fine game, though I don't remember much of it. Probably because the story was so thin, wasn't it just told through very short cut-scenes between chapters? You're half alien Nathan Hale, you're trying to stop... the aliens. But they weren't aliens, they were... something else. And they wanted eternal winter or something, right? Oh yeah, and wasn't this one of those weird cases where the protagonist was silent in the first game, but he spoke during the second? Anyway, I still haven't played Resistance 3, I should do that at some point.

Yeah, the save-the-world-story of the first two was both undercooked and poorly presented. There was so much potential there, but I felt it fell into a lot of cliches. Supposedly, the third one shifted to a more personal tone that was a lot more effective. The tone for the initial teaser trailer makes it look like something that could be really interesting. I know the finished product wasn't exactly like that, but the trailer pretty much represents the potential I thin the series has (had?).

The third game's story still has holes and it isn't fantastic, but the characterizations are pretty good and fairly realistic for a video game. There's a standout scene toward the end where, instead of things getting bigger and bigger and the situation ramping up, the main character, all by his lonesome and freezing cold, stumbles into a room and... well, you should play it, it's a scene of a desperate man at the end of his rope and it's delivered very well. I'm no fan of the Resistance games but the third one stands out as an example of good characters in a first person shooter. It's one giant step above the meat-head bro's of Gears of War and Call of Duty.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Eujin said:

Resistance 2 8-man Co-op is fantastic, as it's completely separate from Singleplayer. However, if I remember right, the servers are now shut down. :(

I don't think so, they were going a full force a few months back. Anyway, R2 co-op is the best time I've ever had with online multiplayer. Need to get back on it some time and fully level op the spec op too.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spoonman671
    @BlackLagoon said:

@Eujin said:

I don't think so, they were going a full force a few months back. Anyway, R2 co-op is the best time I've ever had with online multiplayer. Need to get back on it some time and fully level op the spec op too.

I imagine you must be pretty excited for Fuse then, since that seems to the way Insomniac has decided to further develop that coop concept.
    BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Spoonman671: We'll see... I think part of the fun with R2 was the large open levels and the 8 player teams. It meant you could go off on your own and mess around or play hero if you wanted. In most other co-op modes, everyone usually needs to be on the ball all the time or the whole team is screwed. Fuse so far seems more of the latter.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shadows_kill

I bought the 3rd but haven't had time to play it :( and out of the first 2 I feel like it is a very underrated PS3 franchise. From single player, coop, and multiplier stand point are all fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.