Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance: Fall of Man

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 14, 2006

Resistance: Fall of Man is the first in a franchise of first-person shooters from Insomniac Games. Set in an alternative version of 1951, you follow the story of Sgt. Nathan Hale as he and the human resistance forces attempt to drive a mysterious alien-like invasion out of Britain.

What's the big deal about Resistance online?

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I just bought Resistance on Greatest Hits, and the single player is great so far, but I was horrified when I tried to play online. The slow bullets don't translate well at ALL, and it just plays terrible in every game mode on every map in every way imaginable. I gave it a few chances over the last couple of days, but I just can't wrap my head around why people like it so much. WTF! Explain.
    P.S. I'm glad SP kicks enough ass to justify the purchase. :D

EventHorizon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EventHorizon1

Some of the excitement comes from the online possibilities of Resistance 2...

60 player battles online
    8 player co-op
    2 full campaigns (single & co-op)
    better AI

I am very excited for the game...
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cube

I really like it. No problems here.

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DrPepper1990

Well when I played Resistance online it was great, but that was a long time ago. Now I play Cod 4 online.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I didn't like multiplayer either. It lagged all the time for me. Some of the maps are cool, though, for split screen. Subway and Thames. FTW!

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I didnt even like the singleplayer. :/

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pause422

I never lagged in it really, but when I got into the game (didn't prefer matchmaking cuz I'm kind of sick of it from other games) and would serach for one, everyone was just waay better than me, and most of the time had weird settings on games, or everyone was a sniper and you would die the second you moved. I still enojoyed the single player a lot though, resistance 2 looks like it will be a huge improvement all around.

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DrPepper1990

I liked both singleplayer and multiplayer. The multiplayer wasnt laggy when I played.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DeadWeezel

I got the impression that (from a history of on-line pc gaming) it was Halo syndrome, people who had perhaps not had much exp with good on-line shooters latched onto the first decent one they could.  This is not to say however the game is not good on-line, it just don't seem special.

Insomniac however did an incredible job of supporting it and creating a tight and reliable on-line system with ranked matches and the like.  For this alone I am quite pumped for R2 on-line, but not as much as the co-op and campaign.

...I said on-line way too much there.

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Dissolve

Come on over to Metal Gear Online if you want some frantic fun.

Lol "frantic fun" what am I some kinda lame PR person?

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeadWeezel

MGO2 is ace.  But seriously, is it working yet?  I'm a bit put off by the lack of quality in Konami's miserable attempts at networked gaming.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crunchUK

it has sixetyyyyyy playerzzzzzzzz.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thelastguy
    EventHorizon1 said:
    "Some of the excitement comes from the online possibilities of Resistance 2...
    60 player battles online
    8 player co-op
    2 full campaigns (single & co-op)
    better AI

I am very excited for the game...
    "
    Took the words right out of my mouth.  I think that is more than a good enough reason to get excited.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Demyx

I had no problems when I played it. But I haven't touched the game in a long time.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_

I got the chance to play it once at my buddy's house. The weapons had a great feel to them, but otherwise it was a pretty bread-and-butter experience. I think nobody had really experienced 20 on 20 before, and that was one of the big factors surrounding its hype.

Christopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Christopper

C'mon, the reason it's popular is because it was one of the launch games. People didn't have much option but to play the very limited amount of games and were kind of 'forced' to like it. If the game came out now, it wouldn't be popular for it's online imo.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince

Because it's fun...

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, if you're lagging all the time, it's your connection. So dun diss the game for you lame connection. I really enjoy resistance online, so fast. I still find it so hard to play those bitch slap maps tho! lol, resistance is about weapons, why take em away!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, the game was a lunch title, and it is 2 years old, lmao.

It is still hella fun though.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I have never lagged at all in Resistance, and I am 12k Milometers away from the servers, so I should always lag, yet I never did. Also, Slow Bullets??? Are we talking about the same game here?
    Anyway, Resistance Online is great imo, because its an arcade shooter, which means that even though it rewards those who can headshot all the time, it also lets the new guys or not so good ones get a couple of kills per matches.-
    And I have played it last week, and the players were not as good as some months ago, which made it even easier to rank up.

Nik_NYG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nik_NYG

I never lagged in Resistance.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince

Me neither.

Avatar image for dr_shiggityshwa
    Dr_shiggityshwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dr_shiggityshwa
    FuzzYLemoN said:
    "I just bought Resistance on Greatest Hits, and the single player is great so far, but I was horrified when I tried to play online. The slow bullets don't translate well at ALL, and it just plays terrible in every game mode on every map in every way imaginable. I gave it a few chances over the last couple of days, but I just can't wrap my head around why people like it so much. WTF! Explain.
    "
    Well for a  launch game is was  great. It had 40 player multi, something that I don't think any console game has matched. It wasn't the best multiplayer game out there but it was one of the best experiences on the PS3 for a while.  At the moment the only games that rival Resistance would be Warhawk or COD4.
    FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FuzzYLemoN
    hush404 said:
    "Honestly, if you're lagging all the time, it's your connection. So dun diss the game for you lame connection. I really enjoy resistance online, so fast. I still find it so hard to play those bitch slap maps tho! lol, resistance is about weapons, why take em away!"
    I'm not lagging... what are you talking about?
    And people seem to misunderstand what I'm talking about - I'm talking about Resistance 1, not Resistance 2.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yeah, I never lag.

lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lantus

So, as someone going to get Resistance 2 this Holiday, is the first game still viable? I mean certainly single-player as I'll get to know the story, but what about outside of it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lantus said:
    "So, as someone going to get Resistance 2 this Holiday, is the first game still viable? I mean certainly single-player as I'll get to know the story, but what about outside of it?
    "

Since it is only 30 bucks now, I would get it for sure. You can play up the SP, learn the story and whatnot. And then you can also play the MP, hella fun.

Of course its not up to par with games like CoD4 and whatnot anymore, since it was only a launch title and now 2 years old, but still.
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    Sentry said:
    "lantus said:
    "So, as someone going to get Resistance 2 this Holiday, is the first game still viable? I mean certainly single-player as I'll get to know the story, but what about outside of it?
    "

Since it is only 30 bucks now, I would get it for sure. You can play up the SP, learn the story and whatnot. And then you can also play the MP, hella fun.

Of course its not up to par with games like CoD4 and whatnot anymore, since it was only a launch title and now 2 years old, but still.
    "
    Also, the cooperative is a lot of fun. The online is still playable, there are not many skilled players anymore (apparently they jumped ship) and its arcady which is something I like.
    Resistance shouldnt be compared to CoD4 or Vegas, for the simple reason that those are more "life-like" while Resistance goes for some old school FPS greatness. The matches of 20 vs 20 are a lot of fun, and how smooth it runs while online is superb.
    The SP mode is also a lot of fun, but to learn the whole story you need to find many secret documents. It kind of develops like Doom 3, where PDAs hold the whole story behind what is going on. And also, from time to time you will listen to morse code transmissions, apparently they are not there just to add atmosphere, and have actual messages, but I havent dwelved deep into that area yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah of course, Resistance isn't really that 'realistic shooter' when it comes to online...

DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    Sentry said:
    "Yeah of course, Resistance isn't really that 'realistic shooter' when it comes to online...
    "
    And thats why I like it :D. I never was really into FPS, but I was always attracted to the Arcade FPS (all the old ones, Timesplitters, Halo). But CoD 4 changed my mind. Still I prefer an arcade shooter :P
    somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By somesthetic

resistance online suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Cfreyrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cfreyrun

Resistance's online's main draw was its numbers, but in general it was rather meh.  Anyway R2 Will have more numbers player wise, and it seems they are really trying this time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's main draw was its numbers? Not really, it was a really fun MP game, and it was probably one of the best launch titles released ever IMO. Now, it's obviously a bit outdated.

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By somesthetic
    Tarsier said:
    "I was going to type a negative opinion here but I have decided to not type negative opinions on this forum anymore and I hope you all do the same. lol"
    that's a stupid idea.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO!!!!!!

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By KingBroly

What was it like when it came out?  What is it like today?  Those are two totally different answers.  Time wears games thin and makes us wish they were better for older games.  They aren't, so if you can't live in the past a bit, you'll most likely hate it.  Kinda like Warhawk.  I love Warhawk, but I know a few people who hate it because of newer games doing stuff better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly, it was nearly two years ago. Seriously though, I remember RFOM at its prime, EVERYONE was playing it, and it was so amazing, some of the greatest memories in gaming for me, personally.

Elsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Elsa

the multiplayer is solid... it allows for 40 people on the same map with very little lag (quite an accomplishment really!).  The gameplay takes some getting used to because the human and chimera have different abilities... and different weaknesses.
    Each weapon is also quite different... if you're talking "slow bullets" then, you must be using the auger.  Try the various weapons and remember to switch around depending on the circumstances.  This isn't really a "one gun fits all" type game.
    They really did do an incredible job for a launch game... in addition to dedicated servers, they allowed gamers to create their own rooms (private or open) and they incorporated a solid party system for voice chat as well as a comprehensive stat system.  People could even specify what weapons could be used in their games, so they could do shotgun only games.
     The only thing I disliked about the online game was that most people got really, really good with the bullseye and it became more or less a one shot kill (the bullseye tags you, and then all bullets to to the tag even if the fire from undercover.  I never got the hang of shaking off tags.).

Personally I tend to prefer faster moving games... but as a launch title it still stands out as a great online game - and most new games still get compared to Resistance (and are found lacking)!  Many complaints about current games are because Resistance set the bar so high.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thelastguy
    Sentry said:
    "Exactly, it was nearly two years ago. Seriously though, I remember RFOM at its prime, EVERYONE was playing it, and it was so amazing, some of the greatest memories in gaming for me, personally."
    Yup, before Warhawk came out, RFOM was the only game I played
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ket87
    crunchUK said:
    "it has sixetyyyyyy playerzzzzzzzz.
    " And 60X the opportunities for more lag. Plus there is no real need for more than 16 people in a game. Otherwise it turns into a total clusterfuck of people just running around shooting everyone and there is no longer any skill or strategy required.
    Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Homer
    FuzzYLemoN said:
    "I just bought Resistance on Greatest Hits, and the single player is great so far, but I was horrified when I tried to play online. The slow bullets don't translate well at ALL, and it just plays terrible in every game mode on every map in every way imaginable. I gave it a few chances over the last couple of days, but I just can't wrap my head around why people like it so much. WTF! Explain.
    "

Perhaps you just suck?
    nasie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nasie

I've played a lot, now I mean A LOT of online FPS games, resistance is not bad, but not great either. What's good about it is the arsenal wich balance out well in multiplayer and the good fast pace. It dosen't bullshit you like many modern games does, (chainsaws and random airstrikes anyone?), it's just pure run'n'gun. What's bad about it is that when you have played games featuring TDM/Run'N'Gun styled games since the quake 1 era, it's getting pretty old. For newcomers and people wanting to return to this genre it's a good title.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.