Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance

Franchise »

The Resistance franchise is a series of sci-fi FPSs in which you control characters fighting a mysterious alien race in the 1950s.

Insomniac Is Finished With the Resistance Franchise

• 96 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

"We won't be making any more Resistances."

And with that brief, blunt sentence, Insomniac Games CEO Ted Price pretty much killed any chance of future games to come in the developer's popular first-person shooter franchise made by the studio.

You won't have these alternate historical aliens to kick around anymore.

He said this during an interview with VG 24/7 at Southern Methodist University’s Game::Business::Law Summit. He apparently did not follow-up on this statement with any reasoning, or really anything at all. Essentially, that was that.

It's perhaps not altogether surprising a development, given that the series wrapped up into a nice little trilogy with the last entry, Resistance 3, and to be frank, sales for that title proved rather soft amid the onslaught of other action titles released toward the end of last year. And, of course, Insomniac is otherwise occupied with its new multiplatform co-op shooter OverStrike, which the company plans to release this year.

Still, it's perhaps a bit of an unceremonious end for a series that never quite captured the PlayStation 3 audience's attention the way the Killzones and Uncharteds of the world did, but nonetheless had its ardent fans who stuck with Insomniac's alternate-history baby all the way through to its end.

What say you? Sad to see Resistance go? Or are you ready to move on?

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

"We won't be making any more Resistances."

And with that brief, blunt sentence, Insomniac Games CEO Ted Price pretty much killed any chance of future games to come in the developer's popular first-person shooter franchise made by the studio.

He said this during an interview with VG 24/7 at Southern Methodist University’s Game::Business::Law Summit. He apparently did not follow-up on this statement with any reasoning, or really anything at all. Essentially, that was that.

It's perhaps not altogether surprising a development, given that the series wrapped up into a nice little trilogy with the last entry, Resistance 3, and to be frank, sales for that title proved rather soft amid the onslaught of other action titles released toward the end of last year. And, of course, Insomniac is otherwise occupied with its new multiplatform co-op shooter OverStrike, which the company plans to release this year.

Still, it's perhaps a bit of an unceremonious end for a series that never quite captured the PlayStation 3 audience's attention the way the Killzones and Uncharteds of the world did, but nonetheless had its ardent fans who stuck with Insomniac's alternate-history baby all the way through to its end.

What say you? Sad to see Resistance go? Or are you ready to move on?

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By leejunfan83

good riddance

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#3  Edited By Little_Socrates

I never cared for Resistance, so I look forward to seeing what's next.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By M_Shini

Done with it for the most part least it went out with somewhat of a bang.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mrfluke

yea......that series didnt catch my attention either,

overstrike looks very promising though

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Willza92

that is a shame, I thought the third one was great (didn't care much for the first two though).

John-Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By John-Luke

Makes sense, it never stuck like Ratchet did and they're working on that new IP. For people who like Resistance, there's that PSVita game, right?

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wadtomaton

Resistance is owned by Sony, it sounded like even as 3 was wrapping up they were basically saying they wouldn't be doing anymore. I have the first 2 but am looking forward more to overstrike than I ever did for Resistance.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RE_Player1

Good. Interesting premise with 1, crappy sequel with 2, only a good attempt with 3. Resistance could have been something big but they decided to crap it up and I doubt the other developers making games for the franchise will do any better.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By Chris2KLee

Played one and two, and while very technically impressive, the gameplay and characters never clicked with me.

batmeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By batmeng

I remember the first target Ps3 trailer, where lots of soldiers were running over a hill charging aliens. That looked pretty amazing, it was like a mix between X-Com and Starship Troopers. But the end product didn't really turn out to be that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Shame that many people overlooked Resistance 3 after 2.

It's a really polished shooter in its own right, and probably my favourite FPS of this generation.

I just wish the half-baked ending had a little more oomph to it. Given the scope that the rest of the (8 or so hours) game delivered - traipsing across America and back - the 30 second reunion with his family and a cut to the credits overlaid on stills of America rebuilding was completely unexpected and cooled the rest of the experience a little. If not an explanation, then at least a little more bombast would have gone a long way (though, given that this is a personal story as opposed to the typical wide-spread invasion tropes that generally play out - cue Independence Day speech - it was probably appropriate).

Regardless, fantastic game and well worth playing.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

@Willza92 said:

that is a shame, I thought the third one was great (didn't care much for the first two though).

Pretty much my thoughts on the series.

I've beaten all three and the PSP game, and out of all of them I have to say that 3 was pretty damned good and two was the worst of the bunch. The first one was OK as a launch game but hardly stands up as anything more than that, and the PSP game is... well, a PSP shooter. I'd have enjoyed the PSP game on the PS2 or PS3, but unfortunately that isn't going to happen.

So, yeah. One noteworthy game, two decent but wholly unremarkable ones, and a stinker. Too bad the series is getting flushed just as something worth playing comes out of it, but oh well.

EDIT: Except for Burning Skies. That seems to be the last flicker of hope for this series. Hopefully it will stand tall and bring it back with a new developer who can do the series justice.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Hosstile17

Yeah, it is probably a good call. I feel like Resistance 3 was a highlight for the franchise. But, the lukewarm reception to the second and third entries in the franchise from a critical standpoint and tepid reception from a sales perspective, it would be hard for Insomniac or Sony to really feel like it is time to doubledown on Resistance going forward. It is a shame. But, it is probably for the best. Go out and make a new IP and bring the lessons learned into a new property.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably time to move on to something else.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Klei

Now that's a real shame. This franchise was just plain awesome. Sure, it had some rough spots, like any game part of any series, but overall, it was a very, very good franchise.

I don't think it that, unlike what Navarro may think, it failed to capture the audience's attention like Killzone. Killzone's multiplayer is barely standing, and has a very, very small community.

It's a shame to see this series be put off by it's creators; it was their best attempt in gaming yet. Somehow, I hope another developer will pick the flag and keep the series running in the near future. If anything, Resistance is the kind of shooter we desperately needed ; something different than the run-off-the-mill arcady, military shooter we have these days.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Well- Resistance isn't quite done yet, there's still the Vita entry...

But other than that, not terribly surprising that they're not going to be continuing further with the series.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By ProfessorEss

The saddest part about Resistance is that I'm not saying "Oh no!" or "Good riddance". I just don't really care one way or the other.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Grissefar

Thank God. I enjoyed 2 more than the average person but I still wish Insomniac as a studio would go away. The games are simply of a quality I would expect from THQ or non-EARS EA which is why it very much makes sense that they would go multiplatform next.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By delta_ass

I guess you could say... Resistance is futile.

daviddoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daviddoel

I've played through them all. Really enjoyed 1 & 3, 2 not so much.

I'm excited to see what they can do with new franchises and genres. And I think they really need to focus more on developing a downloadable games. Isn't Quest for Booty one of PSN's best selling games of all time?

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hughesman

He said that insomniac wouldn't be making any more resistance games, but the franchise may still continue in the hands of other development studios. Like the one that came out on psp and the forthcoming vita game.

aldo_q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By aldo_q

I actually rather liked the series, so bummer to hear this. I originally picked up 1 & 2 budget because I didn't think it they would be great games. And indeed they had some serious issues, but I really liked the story behind it... a lot was kept or still is a mystery and I kind of liked that.

Still, it's not like it's I will really miss it either.

I can understand the last one sold quite badly. While normal games here cost 60 euro's and they initially sold Resistance for 70 euro's... when it was released among an onslaught of massive titles that all where 60 euro's.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vinsanityv22

Never got into this series. I remember it as a launch title for the PS3, where it looked significantly worse than titles on the 360 like Ghost Recon at the time. It never seemed to be impressive. And while Insomniac somehow managed to make merely solid titles in Ratchet & Clank (very well produced, but unambitious/slightly monotonous all the same) and fool people into thinking this was a world class franchise (over the much better Jak and Sly franchises too!), Resistance never could manage the same trick against other shooters.

Move onto bigger and better things, Insomniac. Overstrike looks very promising.

Nihilistic and Sony Bend can make Resistance games if Sony wants them to.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Hizang

I enjoyed Resistance Fall of Man and Resistance 3, they were both really good games. Resistance Fall of Man was the best PS3 launch game and was the game I had the most fun playing online with when I got my PS3. I am ok to see it go though, move on to a new project hopefully. Its better though than risking another crap game like Resistance 2, I wish more developers did this instead of continue to milk the franchise until nobody cares about it any more, I'm looking at you Final Fantasy!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm

@hughesman said:

He said that insomniac wouldn't be making any more resistance games, but the franchise may still continue in the hands of other development studios. Like the one that came out on psp and the forthcoming vita game.

Which pretty much means they don't own the IP.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By kollay

Only played the first because, well, that was the only game I had back at launch and did not care for it afterwards. Pretty bland franchise.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By AndrewB

Pssst! Guys! I hear that games with similar gameplay mechanics can be produced with totally new and more interesting stories behind them! It's true! There's no need for forced trilogies! A development team working on any game series will still be the same development team!

RWBladewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RWBladewing

I think I may be the only person in the world who actually liked 2 more than 3. The return to a health pack system in 3 felt like a huge step back to me. Still sad to see this series go though.

ArcadiaExeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArcadiaExeter

i enjoyed all of them and i hate that they are not going to do another. im sure some studio will pick it up i just hope they do a good job with it.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nohthink

That makes me sad. I liked all three of them. Maybe some developers will pick it up(and I hope they do).

BLipp18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BLipp18

@Napalm: i think the only IP Insomniac has ever owned is the OverStrike IP. Everything else they made has been owned by Sony (and now Activision in the case of Spyro) even though they created them.

baracudadk2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By baracudadk2

im honestly not really that suprised. resistance was a good platform title to start the console. but better games have come and gone.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By indiefinch

I really enjoyed resistance. But it is good for Insomniac to move on. They pretty much did all they could in R3, so might as well try something new.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eecdd1d4617f
    deactivated-5eecdd1d4617f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Resistance came out on launch with the PS3 I only brought it because it was the only shooter out, and to argue the best game to come out against all the other launch titles. I'll admit that I never finished it for the fact that it was not all that exciting and I personally hated the health bar system, regeneration always rules. Resistance 2 was better in my view. The single player campaign had no real story but was great to play through, the game looked great, and most importantly it had health regeneration. Also on-line co op was additive. Resistance 3 looked great, played the demo. However I didn't think it compared to Killzone 3 of last year. The game just was not as good as other shooters that I have played. For me the quality of all the Resistance games are not better than Killzone 2 and 3, and for the Playstation to deliver amazing performance which it can, the developers extracted less from Resistance. I think that the whole Resistance theme is a neat idea of WW2 soldiers against alien infestation, but the franchise was not something to tip me over the edge. If this game came out as a multi platform, I think I would still be saying the same thing, there are better shooters out there.

Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Thusian

Turns out Resistance was futile.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kollay said:

Only played the first. Pretty bland franchise.

Ugh.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By Humanity

@ProfessorEss said:

The saddest part about Resistance is that I'm not saying "Oh no!" or "Good riddance". I just don't really care one way or the other.

Same feelings here. Those games never seemed to hit any tons of interest in me. Perhaps the fact that I was wholeheartedly done with anything WWII related had a lot to do with that.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By NMC2008

I have never finished a Resistance game, they bored me kinda like Killzone 3 is right now, I dunno, maybe I am tired of shooting shit.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By topsteer

@RWBladewing said:

I think I may be the only person in the world who actually liked 2 more than 3. The return to a health pack system in 3 felt like a huge step back to me. Still sad to see this series go though.

I liked 2 more than 3 as well. Resistance 2 is one of my favorite FPS this generation and I'll never understand the hate it gets.

iotanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By iotanon

@Thusian said:

Turns out Resistance was futile.

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By spankingaddict

Well , that's ok . The Resistance franchise was great overall , though. I actually loved the PSP version , Resistance : Retribution .

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By Siphillis

The Resistance series contributed nothing to the gaming sphere, and it lacked the charm and warmness of the Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank series. Beyond selling a few people on a PS3 at launch, I don't think it'll have much standing in annuls of video game history.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By kollay

@GetEveryone said:

@kollay said:

Only played the first. Pretty bland franchise.

Ugh.

The first game was enough to just not continue. Every media I saw that was released for the next installments projected no interesting thing for me to jump back in.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SSully

I love the franchise. The second one was really shitty, but 1 and 3 both are very enjoyable games. I will be sad to see them go, but atleast we got 1 last good game in the resistance universe.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#46  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I really enjoyed Resistance 3, but I think the series wrapped up nicely by its end. I wouldn't mind seeing a new one four or five years down the line, but for now, let it be.

PompousDawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By PompousDawson

Really home Insomniac hits it out of the park with their next titles. I bought all 3 Resistance titles...but they always seemed to lack that 'special sauce'.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole series had sort of a run of bad luck. The first one was a launch title, so not that many people played it (especially considering the launch price of a PS3). The second one was universally panned, which meant that by the time 3 rolled around there wasn't anyone left to care.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By Cybexx

Well, there is a Vita game scheduled for this year so the franchise isn't over yet but as for Insomniac's involvement I think they are going out on a high note. Resistance 3 really surprised me, mostly because it didn't really feel like an Insomniac game. Insomniac tends to nail their core mechanics but their level design just tends to be in service of those core mechanics, they don't tend to mix it up too much. But with Resistance 3 they had a lot of variety to each level, a lot more scripted events than they tend to do and the story was way more interesting than the previous games. I would go so far as to say that Resistance 3 had the best first-person shooter campaign I played last year.

KC_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KC_23

While I enjoyed Resistance 1 and 3 (2 was a big misstep from Insomniac). I am hoping that they let this franchise sleep since Sony keep promoting Killzone as their premier shooter and potential replacement developers can move on to more interesting things than another FPS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.