Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resonance of Fate

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jan 28, 2010

A "gun battle" RPG developed at tri-Ace in collaboration with SEGA.

Impressions: Resonance of Fate

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Alright Sega, now this is what we like to see. Cut out the Sonic crap and pick up more like this and Valkyria Chronicles please. Seeing as I picked this up about 3 weeks ago and am currently about 20 hours in I figured I'd try to drum up a bit more interest in this title, as it seems to have been forgotten in the wake of Final Fantasy XIII.

I see this as almost the anti-thesis of Final Fantasy XIII, while XIII streamlines, automates and nurses you into it; Resonance of Fate pushes you straight into the deep end, cement shoes first and tells you to swim. Sure, there's a brief [optional] tutorial at the combat arena but beside telling you what you need to accomplish in order to pass the tutorial the game offers next to no advice on it's combat system; and boy, what a combat system. I'm still learning the intricacies 20 hours in, for example I only yesterday realised that: total level =  Σ all weapon levels, I'd been keeping each character exclusively using a single type of weapon trying to min/max their effectiveness with minimum grinding but in the process had been losing out on weight capacity and health. 

I won't even attempt to describe the combat system here, as it starts complex and shoots up to obscenely complex about 6 chapters in when the only way to effectively harm enemies requires 10+ bars of charged machine-gun fire. I recommend checking out a couple of gameplay videos to see how it works, though playing it for myself was the only way I really understood what was going on further than "cool gun-kata moves are awesome"; if your curious about a specific element however, feel free to ask away.

The only real complaint I have against the game is that the environments can get a little bland. While the dying, steam-punk-esque Victorian tower of Basel is an interesting place and the characters play off each other nicely [Nolan North does an excellent job voicing Vashyron, though that's no surprise for those familiar with the guy] with plenty of seriously funny scenes the battle environments lack visual variety; with the exception of a short icy dungeon in Chapter 6 so far I've seen brown wastelands, black wastelands, brown factories and a 'forest' of brown statues.

A word of warning however: this game is hard. Really hard. One misplaced move or one ill timed Hero movement and you'll end up having to restart the battle over. The difficulty doesn't curve so much as plateau, spike and plateau again every few chapters. This gets pretty frustrating, especially considering save points are few and far between meaning hat if you want to rage-quit a boss battle after losing a couple dozen times be prepared to kiss an hour of wasted time goodbye.

That said, if your looking for a different kind of RPG and you don't mind spending a few hours learning the combat system you'll find a seriously good RPG here. Send a positive message to Sega and pick this up if your interested; I can see this being difficult to find in a couple years.

A couple videos to hopefully wet your appetite, I suppose mild spoilers on the last 3 but nothing crucial to the plot: 

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Alright Sega, now this is what we like to see. Cut out the Sonic crap and pick up more like this and Valkyria Chronicles please. Seeing as I picked this up about 3 weeks ago and am currently about 20 hours in I figured I'd try to drum up a bit more interest in this title, as it seems to have been forgotten in the wake of Final Fantasy XIII.

I see this as almost the anti-thesis of Final Fantasy XIII, while XIII streamlines, automates and nurses you into it; Resonance of Fate pushes you straight into the deep end, cement shoes first and tells you to swim. Sure, there's a brief [optional] tutorial at the combat arena but beside telling you what you need to accomplish in order to pass the tutorial the game offers next to no advice on it's combat system; and boy, what a combat system. I'm still learning the intricacies 20 hours in, for example I only yesterday realised that: total level =  Σ all weapon levels, I'd been keeping each character exclusively using a single type of weapon trying to min/max their effectiveness with minimum grinding but in the process had been losing out on weight capacity and health. 

I won't even attempt to describe the combat system here, as it starts complex and shoots up to obscenely complex about 6 chapters in when the only way to effectively harm enemies requires 10+ bars of charged machine-gun fire. I recommend checking out a couple of gameplay videos to see how it works, though playing it for myself was the only way I really understood what was going on further than "cool gun-kata moves are awesome"; if your curious about a specific element however, feel free to ask away.

The only real complaint I have against the game is that the environments can get a little bland. While the dying, steam-punk-esque Victorian tower of Basel is an interesting place and the characters play off each other nicely [Nolan North does an excellent job voicing Vashyron, though that's no surprise for those familiar with the guy] with plenty of seriously funny scenes the battle environments lack visual variety; with the exception of a short icy dungeon in Chapter 6 so far I've seen brown wastelands, black wastelands, brown factories and a 'forest' of brown statues.

A word of warning however: this game is hard. Really hard. One misplaced move or one ill timed Hero movement and you'll end up having to restart the battle over. The difficulty doesn't curve so much as plateau, spike and plateau again every few chapters. This gets pretty frustrating, especially considering save points are few and far between meaning hat if you want to rage-quit a boss battle after losing a couple dozen times be prepared to kiss an hour of wasted time goodbye.

That said, if your looking for a different kind of RPG and you don't mind spending a few hours learning the combat system you'll find a seriously good RPG here. Send a positive message to Sega and pick this up if your interested; I can see this being difficult to find in a couple years.

A couple videos to hopefully wet your appetite, I suppose mild spoilers on the last 3 but nothing crucial to the plot: 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

I got the game over a month ago and still haven't gotten past chapter 5.  x.x

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By trophyhunter

I fucking loved the game so much till I got to the end of chapter 9......then there was bad things.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By animateria

Game gets tough unless you really work out your weapon customization and...

two people with SMGs are better than two people with handguns.

The game doesn't give you any hints but having 2 people with handguns is pretty useless, it's all about scratch damage.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shirogane
    @animateria said:
    "two people with SMGs are better than two people with handguns."

This seems like common sense? Unless you're playing Halo CE... 

Deciding between this and Nier. Same price, but i'd have to get this on 360. PS3 version is out of stock and it costs more anyway.
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WitchHunter_Z
    @KaosAngel said:
    " I got the game over a month ago and still haven't gotten past chapter 5.  x.x "
    Chapter 5 is definitely where the game starts to get hard, but if you can stockpile a load of incendiary ammo to use with your machine gunner it's manageable. You'll be relived to hear that the first chapter 5 boss is a total pushover though. The game gives a big 'fuck you' after beating it though, as you have to go through the dungeon again with only two party members and fight a boss 10 times harder than before.

@trophyhunter said:
    " I fucking loved the game so much till I got to the end of chapter 9......then there was bad things. "

I haven't gotten that far yet, I beat chapter 7 boss last night and intend to clean up the side-quests tonight. Is another hideously unfair difficulty spike lying in wait?

@animateria said:
    " Game gets tough unless you really work out your weapon customization and...    two people with SMGs are better than two people with handguns.  The game doesn't give you any hints but having 2 people with handguns is pretty useless, it's all about scratch damage. "

It would help if the game gave you a second SMG earlier on, I stuck with two handgun users until recently because I already had high proficiencies in them for both Vashyron and Leanne but I realised that one person can easily cover all the scratch damage two SMG users can put out. I had a much easier time with the dungeons once I swapped.

@Shirogane said:
    " @animateria said:
    This seems like common sense? Unless you're playing Halo CE...  Deciding between this and Nier. Same price, but i'd have to get this on 360. PS3 version is out of stock and it costs more anyway. "
    Well with the way the combat works it's impossible to actually kill an enemy with the 'scratch damage' an SMG deals unless it's transformed into 'direct damage' by a handgun or grenade. So while two SMG users do more damage you only have one character that can actually finish off enemies, if he gets stunned or ends up in poor location to attack from things can get messy quickly.

I can't comment on Nier, but I can highly recommend picking up Resonance of Fate. It's well worth your money if you're willing to persevere through the frustrating parts. I haven't run into any issues with the PS3 version, and I can't imagine that being any different on the 360.
    redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By redwing42
    @WitchHunter_Z said:
    @Shirogane said:
    " @animateria said:
    This seems like common sense? Unless you're playing Halo CE...  Deciding between this and Nier. Same price, but i'd have to get this on 360. PS3 version is out of stock and it costs more anyway. "
    Well with the way the combat works it's impossible to actually kill an enemy with the 'scratch damage' an SMG deals unless it's transformed into 'direct damage' by a handgun or grenade. So while two SMG users do more damage you only have one character that can actually finish off enemies, if he gets stunned or ends up in poor location to attack from things can get messy quickly.I can't comment on Nier, but I can highly recommend picking up Resonance of Fate. It's well worth your money if you're willing to persevere through the frustrating parts. I haven't run into any issues with the PS3 version, and I can't imagine that being any different on the 360. "

The solution to this is to have grenades on one of the SMG users.  That way, you can switch off if necessary.  Grenades aren't quite as reliable as pistols for targeting body parts, but they will do in a pinch.
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WitchHunter_Z
    @redwing42:  I prefer to have one SMG user with two SMGs and the other with the Ammo box to maximise scratch damage potential, at least for the major fights. I haven't really found grenades too useful other than to level up the skill for the hit points.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.