Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resonance of Fate

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jan 28, 2010

A "gun battle" RPG developed at tri-Ace in collaboration with SEGA.

Resonance of Fate - Storytelling at its worst?

Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Mooqi

I finished Resonance of Fate some minutes ago and the ending did not answer any of my questions. Honestly, I don't even know what questions I should ask, because the game did not even bother to reveal its most basic overall story-arch to me.

Desperately looking for some kind of synopsis I found this Wikipedia article and... well, now I am wondering where the author got this massive amount of information from. All I knew was that [Spoilers obviously] Leanne was supposed to die at age 20 and that she was one of 20 children in some weird experiment. I didn't know anything about the antagonist, apart from his struggle to control Zenith, a kind of "god-machine". I didn't know who the girl with the horns was, I didn't know why at the end everyone seems to want to die or why on earth all of a sudden everyone wants to kill me (and to die). I could not make out the intentions of any major faction in this game, including my own party.

Basically I was doing what my "Mission Memo" said for over 74 hours and it kept me entertained. But the amount of relevant story information that was revealed to me in this game is at a personal all-time low. In the future JRPGs' regionalization process should focus more on enhancing the weak storytelling. Completing one undefined story after another is slowly getting on my nerves.

Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mooqi

I finished Resonance of Fate some minutes ago and the ending did not answer any of my questions. Honestly, I don't even know what questions I should ask, because the game did not even bother to reveal its most basic overall story-arch to me.

Desperately looking for some kind of synopsis I found this Wikipedia article and... well, now I am wondering where the author got this massive amount of information from. All I knew was that [Spoilers obviously] Leanne was supposed to die at age 20 and that she was one of 20 children in some weird experiment. I didn't know anything about the antagonist, apart from his struggle to control Zenith, a kind of "god-machine". I didn't know who the girl with the horns was, I didn't know why at the end everyone seems to want to die or why on earth all of a sudden everyone wants to kill me (and to die). I could not make out the intentions of any major faction in this game, including my own party.

Basically I was doing what my "Mission Memo" said for over 74 hours and it kept me entertained. But the amount of relevant story information that was revealed to me in this game is at a personal all-time low. In the future JRPGs' regionalization process should focus more on enhancing the weak storytelling. Completing one undefined story after another is slowly getting on my nerves.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By beforet

I was going to argue, but I realized that I can't actually remember what the fuck happened in that story. It all seemed to make sense after reading a synopsis, but you are right that it was not told well at all. I guess they were going for subtlety but over shot their mark. Oh well, at least you had fun, right?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I haven't played it- but I was under the impression that the presence of Nolan North made up for whatever shortcommings this game might have had.

Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mooqi

@Beforet said:

Oh well, at least you had fun, right?

Yes, it was a fun experience overall. Although I probably won't play it two or three times just because of the now unlocked difficulty levels.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By beforet

I don't blame you, I thought the game was hard enough. And apparently there are 10 extra difficulties. I am barely crazy enough to play that game once.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By vidiot

I wouldn't be that hostile, or consider it "Storytelling at it's worst" (Ton's of better examples) but, there are defiantly portions of that narrative that are poorly told. Some of it is muddled, and some of it flies past you in a manner that requires your complete attention. I noticed during a replay, certain sequences that made more sense after playing it the first time. Different parts of the game I didn't understand, made sense, after seeing the context hours later.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By willin

Look me in the eye and tell me THIS is bad.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Chop

Tri Ace always manage to outdo themselves when it comes to horrible stories.  

Honestly, no hyperbole here, they are EASILY the worst story tellers in the industry. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

Outside of a few gems (Valkyrie Profile's story is fantastic), tri-Ace are by and large not the best at telling stories. They can craft interesting combat systems and RPG mechanics like no one else, but they're generally married to stories that are either poorly told, or well told until a point where everything just derails into a disappointing mess (Valkyrie Profile 2's story ripped my heart out, Star Ocean 3's story went completely sideways.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.