Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Revolver Ocelot

Character » appears in 24 games

Revolver Ocelot, aka Shalashaska, real name Adam, appears in the the Metal Gear Solid series with often unclear motives.

What's did Ocelot do in MGS3's first encounter?

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Snake calls him out on doing it, some kind of manual eject or something, but I have no understanding of why someone would eject an unfired round, especially during a fight. Can anyone explain what happened?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He was being cocky and flashy.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not exactly sure, I think it was him trying to show off, which backfired of course.

This is from GameFAQs:

Snake: Mmm... Whenever he put a new clip in his gun he'd always load the first round by hand, whether there was a round left in the chamber or not. It's a technique they teach in the Middle East. By making sure there's always a round in the chamber, you eliminate the risk of pulling the trigger with nothing to fire. He must have heard about it from someone, or read it somewhere... in any case, he probably wanted to try it out for himself. And he was obviously motivated by vanity to show off his new technique. That's when you make mistakes. The battlefield is an unforgiving place. The only techniques you can rely on are the ones you've mastered through experience and practice.

Snake's is probably the simplest explanation, concerning the gun jam. Just keep in mind that the Makarov carries eight rounds in each magazine, but Ocelot kept the final bullet from the last magazine chambered in the pistol, before loading another new magazine. Before he arrived at the site with Snake and KGB guards, he had already loaded that new magazine, so he took out the pistol, cocked the slide back, ejecting the first bullet (which was from the previous magazine), and took out the guards. When he loaded a new magazine, he forgot to cock the slide back because he didn't think that there was already a bullet in the chamber. Since there was already a bullet in the chamber, the first bullet from the magazine couldn't be chambered, and was therefore jammed between the loading part of the chamber and the the already chambered bullet, which caught Ocelot completely off guard.

I have no idea how guns actually work, so I don't know if this is accurate or just bullshit.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@village_guy said:

I'm not exactly sure, I think it was him trying to show off, which backfired of course.

This is from GameFAQs:

Snake: Mmm... Whenever he put a new clip in his gun he'd always load the first round by hand, whether there was a round left in the chamber or not. It's a technique they teach in the Middle East. By making sure there's always a round in the chamber, you eliminate the risk of pulling the trigger with nothing to fire. He must have heard about it from someone, or read it somewhere... in any case, he probably wanted to try it out for himself. And he was obviously motivated by vanity to show off his new technique. That's when you make mistakes. The battlefield is an unforgiving place. The only techniques you can rely on are the ones you've mastered through experience and practice.

Snake's is probably the simplest explanation, concerning the gun jam. Just keep in mind that the Makarov carries eight rounds in each magazine, but Ocelot kept the final bullet from the last magazine chambered in the pistol, before loading another new magazine. Before he arrived at the site with Snake and KGB guards, he had already loaded that new magazine, so he took out the pistol, cocked the slide back, ejecting the first bullet (which was from the previous magazine), and took out the guards. When he loaded a new magazine, he forgot to cock the slide back because he didn't think that there was already a bullet in the chamber. Since there was already a bullet in the chamber, the first bullet from the magazine couldn't be chambered, and was therefore jammed between the loading part of the chamber and the the already chambered bullet, which caught Ocelot completely off guard.

I have no idea how guns actually work, so I don't know if this is accurate or just bullshit.

Sounds legit to me, but I'm more familiar with rifles than pistols.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

He tried to manually load the round in the chamber like a total showboat, but it goes in wrong and the gun jams. That's why he switches to revolvers, because they're easier to showboat with in that way. Also, your thread title is poop.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is from GameFAQs:

Yep, that's the reasoning. You get that conversation if you call Paramedic afterwards(I think, it's been a while), before you get on the bridge.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

That was more of a revolver technique.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@csl316: "Makarov" Ocelot just didn't have the same ring to it.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By crithon

it was a long excuse to get Ocelot to stop using guns with cartridge amunition and go with Revolvers.

Loading Video...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cikame

The only thing i can think of is if a fully loaded Makarov magazine would prevent a round already chambered from being ejected, because there's already a round chambered when he goes to shoot snake, he racks the slide as suggested but then it jams, it should have just ejected the already chambered round and loaded a new one from the mag unless it's a problem with the Makarov.
    The alternative is that he closes the slide onto an already chambered round causing a new round to jam up against the old one, but the slide was closed in all the scenes leading up to it, it shouldn't have jammed.

This scene has always confused me :P.

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for.

This is from GameFAQs:

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SquidKing

@shadowconqueror: Yeah, it's compromised. You write me a better one in 60 characters or less and I'll change it.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He also bends his elbow to absorb recoil. That's more of a revolver technique.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.