Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rift

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 01, 2011

RIFT is a free-to-play fantasy MMORPG, developed by Trion Worlds.

Anyone tried this game yet?

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By LackLuster

I'm always interested in trying new mmo's and I have heard that this one has had a solid launch so far.  Have any of you played it yet?  What do you think of it so far?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

Buying it tommorow. I hear it's WoW 2.0 and I agree that WoW is stale at this point. 

All classes having somewhat viable healing specs (CHLOROMANCER? WHAT IS THIS) sounds incredible.

DauntlessFinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DauntlessFinch

I literally picked it up today.

As someone who's invested heavily in World of Warcraft since the launch of The Burning Crusade, Rift has its ups and downs. 
    First, the ups: The default UI in this game is pretty damn good, taking a very clean minimalistic style while still having everything at your fingertips that's necessary. My one gripe that I have is I cant seem to find a place to keep the numbers overlay on healthbars and resources bars permanently on, small gripe and I might just be overlooking it.
    The graphics are pretty snazzy, and different enough from WoW's cartoonish feel to offer a refreshing vision. The class system is INCREDIBLE, just so many options that its jaw dropping even to just think about. RIFT has public quests implemented, something I loved from Warhammer online, and its simulated pretty much the exact same, although I have yet to receive actual gear from it and just some things for stuff I haven't discovered yet.

A few things that have annoyed me: Spell effects. Currently playing a warrior with the subclasses Paladin/Reaver/Warlord to become a tank, and the spell effects are very lackluster. Maybe a better situation for the mage/clerics though. The quests seem pretty cut and dry old school MMO quest design with the kill x, collect y being incredibly common. Respawn rates seem a little weird, with some places with very fast respawn rates and some with incredibly slow, this could be because of the influctuation of players flocking to a new game though and might balance out in the future.

Like I said, I literally picked up the game this morning and played to level 10, so this is not necessarily an in-depth opinion on the game, but I think it offers some cool things and might be worth a checkout. Now, 50 bucks I'm not sure if that's a good deal at this point, but I haven't been to enough content to warrant a buy this or avoid this kind of stance. Hopefully this little look helped.
     PS: I'm still going to be playing Warcraft more then this. 100%

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By melcene

Go check the Rift-specific forum.  There are a fair amount of people here that played it during the beta right before release and people that have been playing since after release.  Might be a good place to get additional opinions. 

I feel mostly the same way as @DauntlessFinch: about the game in general, though I only played during open beta.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By LackLuster

I just said fuck it and went and picked it up

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Branthog

It's still "MMO for babies", but it's a better "MMO for babies" than most. There is enough new stuff and polished stuff in it to make it worth playing for a few weeks; maybe even a few months. I'm impressed with it, but it's nothing more than "get quest, go kill 5 things, join a couple public quests along the way, level up, do all over again with another class". No real "sandbox" to it and no real player defined markets. No in-depth meaningful crafting. No meaningful reason for guilds to exist. It's a traditional MMO all the way - but done remarkably well.

Anyone who manages to enjoy WoW and Warhammer should really dig RIFT. It's a great mix of the two. They also definitely set a new standard for smooth MMO launches. No more excuses in the future for big developers and publishers who can't swing a launch. Trion did it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.