Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rift

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 01, 2011

RIFT is a free-to-play fantasy MMORPG, developed by Trion Worlds.

The problem with RIFT and MMOs in general

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matt

I really recommend you watch the video first and then read my diatribe but whatever works for you!

RIFT! It’s a MMO so I must play it, those are the rules. I played a little bit of RIFT at PAX Prime 2010 and really didn’t think much of it. It wasn’t bad but it was like every MMO ever. More recently a couple of my MMO buddies started talking about RIFT and how excited they were for the launch and how much fun it’s going to be. With all this talk and my hunger for a new MMO I felt like I had to give it a shot.

It turns out that my original assumption of this game is like every MMO ever was spot on. To elaborate RIFT is totally solid, it doesn’t have any glaring issues and it plays fine. The problem is me. I’m absolutely done with this style of MMO. I simply can’t hack it anymore. RIFT does nothing to try and do something different. The genre has become so stagnated that any minor changes made to the formula are seen as huge changes by players that regularly play MMOs. Once you take a step back and look at the bigger picture you’re really just playing the same game as the one that came before but with different art style. To talk about RIFT specifically the quests are as standard as they come. Kill 6 of these dudes, pick up 3 of these, go over there and right click on something. Voice acting and cut scenes are standard in any other genre but MMOs are stuck in the past and refuse to give in. RIFT does have more cut scenes and voice acting than most MMOs and can help do break up the grind but it’s not nearly enough. With the quests being so generic and combat being so familiar I simply don’t want to play “that game” again.

Let’s cut straight to the point here. The problem is World of Warcraft or to be more specific it’s WoWs success. To say WoW dropped a bomb on the MMO genre would be an understatement. WoW dropped several fucking nukes and shit on everything else would be more accurate. WoW was released in 2004 and since then there has been very little change in the way MMOs are made. Those that dared to be different have failed. This is depressing for me as someone who absolutely loves MMOs. When they are done right, they have the most potential of any game genre and in my opinion offer the greatest satisfaction. To be fair to RIFT this is a bigger problem that faces every MMO but since Trion seems happy to make another WoW they are part of the problem.

I can feel myself starting to rant so I’ll stop myself for now and maybe continue this subject in another post. This year is looking better for fans of MMOs. Star Wars: The Old Republic is doing something that no MMO has even attempted before and hearing the guys at Areananet talking about Guild Wars 2 is inspiring stuff (Yes I’m aware Guild Wars 2 is not a “real” MMO). I just hope people are willing to give them a shot.... Oh and RIFT is like WoW. If you like WoW and want something slightly different you will love it.

... fuck all this I’m gonna play pokemon!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I like MMOs a lot (and I don't feel like going out of my way to explain the seemingly lack of innovation with them), but I didn't care for Rift. Let me warn you though that comparing Rift to WoW (which I agree with by the way) is like punching a Rift fan in the face.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene

I didn't watch the video because I beta'd Rift myself and have my own opinions of how it compares to WoW. 

Ultimately, he's right though.  Yes, Rift has some great differences, like the class/soul system.  But when you cut down to the nitty gritty, most MMOs since EQ, or even UO, have been the same thing, and those that are innovative haven't done well.  When I think of innovative MMOs, I think of Tabula Rasa, that got completely shut down (and honestly wasn't ready for release when it was released), or Horizons (now called Istaria), which has some great elements to it that I have yet to see implemented in a major MMO.  But Istaria is down to a few servers with just a small, dedicated population.   If SWTOR is like the Bioware RPGs of today, but in an MMO setting, it might be different enough.  We'll see though. 

Yet at the same time, the things being complained about are those things that made the genre what it is today.  These same elements are what have been part of the genre since before graphics were involved, when it was just MUDs and MUSHes.  It's a catch 22 situation.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jking47

Whenever I see one of these "All MMOs are the same! and if they arent the same they fail!"I feel like no one knows what EVE online is. Its the best MMO on the market, and nothing like WoW at all. 

It has also never stopped growing since it was launched, which is something that even WoW can't say. One of the top exports of Iceland too =P

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By YoungFrey
    @jking47 said:
    "Whenever I see one of these "All MMOs are the same! and if they arent the same they fail!"I feel like no one knows what EVE online is. Its the best MMO on the market, and nothing like WoW at all.  It has also never stopped growing since it was launched, which is something that even WoW can't say. One of the top exports of Iceland too =P "

To be fair, EVE is also growing very slowly.  They aren't even at 500K players I think.  I'm not knocking EVE, but it's still a fairly small fish next to WoW.
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Guild Wars 1 wasn't a "Real MMO" but Guild Wars 2 definitely is. It's fully open-world, it's not keeping the instanced areas and towns anymore except for what I assume will be dungeons. Full 3D movement unlike it's predecessor which didn't allow you to jump and you were pretty much "stuck" to the ground. There's nothing really in GW2 that would not make it a "real" mmo except for the fact you won't need to pay monthly. 

@jking47: Not sure what you mean by "stopped growing" but if you mean by player base then WoW has definitely never stopped growing. It's player base is consistently getting larger and larger every year. EVE is a great game though and what keeps it successful is the fact that it's absolutely nothing like every mmo out there. I'd definitely still be playing it if I wasn't already paying for other MMOs at the moment.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By christ0phe

Making an MMO is a terrible business decision in my opinion

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By melcene
    @jking47 said:

" Whenever I see one of these "All MMOs are the same! and if they arent the same they fail!"I feel like no one knows what EVE online is. Its the best MMO on the market, and nothing like WoW at all.  It has also never stopped growing since it was launched, which is something that even WoW can't say. One of the top exports of Iceland too =P "

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. 

I'll be more specific.   

"It's the best MMO on the market."  Subjective.  Just because YOU think it's the best MMO doesn't mean it is.  

"It has also never stopped growing since it was launched."  What kind of growth are you talking about?  And do you even know what kind of numbers you're talking about?  I'll help you out.  After some research on their press releases, EVE had 70,000 active subscriptions as of Sept. 22, 2005.  In January of this year (2011), EVE was up to 340,000 subscriptions.  Sure, they've grown 5x over 6 years.  That does sound pretty good.  But they still have never hit over half a million as far as we know.  Even the first Everquest did better than that.   Because of the low subscription numbers, it could be argued that EVE is another "failed" MMO.

"Which is something that even WoW can't say."   Really?  Really?   Have you missed how WoW has grown by something like 2 million active subscriptions every year or so?   In October of 2010, the active subscriptions reached 12 MILLION.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn
    @jking47 said:
    " Whenever I see one of these "All MMOs are the same! and if they arent the same they fail!"I feel like no one knows what EVE online is. Its the best MMO on the market, and nothing like WoW at all.  It has also never stopped growing since it was launched, which is something that even WoW can't say. One of the top exports of Iceland too =P "
    Eve isn't an MMO, its a parallel universe that you access via computer, how else do you explain all those damn menus? Its more complex than actual life. 
    matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By matt

Even though I'm not a fan of EVE I truly admire CCP. They get it, they made the game they wanted to make and are happy being small and profitable.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jking47
    @melcene said:

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. 

I'll be more specific.   

"It's the best MMO on the market."  Subjective.  Just because YOU think it's the best MMO doesn't mean it is.  

"It has also never stopped growing since it was launched."  What kind of growth are you talking about?  And do you even know what kind of numbers you're talking about?  How about I help you out.  After some research on their press releases, EVE had 70,000 active subscriptions as of Sept. 22, 2005.  In January of this year (2011), EVE was up to 340,000 subscriptions.  Sure, they've grown 5x over 6 years.  That does sound pretty good.  But they still have never hit over half a million as far as we know.  Even the first Everquest did better than that.   Because of the low subscription numbers, it could be argued that EVE is another "failed" MMO.

"Which is something that even WoW can't say."   Really?  Really?   Have you missed how WoW has grown by something like 2 million active subscriptions every year or so?   In October of 2010, the active subscriptions reached 12 MILLION. "

Obviously its subjective, its my opinion. Do I need to state "This is an opinion" before I say something? 

Talking about subscription numbers. Yes, I realize it is much smaller, I never even tried to state that it was as big as Everquest. My information may be a couple years old (I saw this then and am not going to research MMO subscription numbers right now, at work) but when I was playing, the subscription numbers/new subscribers had gone up month to month, never down or stayed the same.  

And no, it really couldn't be argued that it has "failed". It has been going strong for years, and as I said, is one of the top exports in Iceland (when they had that financial crisis a couple years back anyways). They had a goal, and so far have exceeded their original expectations I am guessing. 

It seems I was imagining a month where WoW had gone down or stayed about the same, or I just can't find it at the moment. I apologize. The number I may have been thinking of is new subscribers, not active subscriptions.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @melcene said:
    "It's the best MMO on the market."  Subjective.
    Totally subjective unless you say World of Warcraft.
    One could construct a pretty convincing stats based argument that would back up that claim almost to the point of rendering "opinions" moot -  if one were so inclined :)
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper

I wouldn't like to design an MMO at this point. You make something completely different and no one plays it because they'll be turned off. You make something like WoW but with improvements and no one plays that because everyone's playing WoW and the lore and story is always more interesting than anything else that comes out. 

I don't see a path of what MMOs have to do to change the face of the genre like WoW did 7 years ago.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jking47
    @ProfessorEss:  Not really. Just because a lot people think something doesn't mean that the minority opinion is wrong.  
    Even if the majority is stupid big.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By melcene
    @ProfessorEss: True.  If you were to claim WoW, and base it on numbers, it's no longer subjective based on numbers.  (Though without using numbers as reference, it would still be subjective.)

@jking47: I'm not trying to totally bash on EVE, just put it in proper perspective.  How do you define when an MMO fails then?  There are many, many MMOs out there, a lot of which we've probably never even heard of.  Some basically claim a game has failed if it fails to cause a decline in the number of WoW subscriptions, which would make every other current MMO out there a failure.  Some claim a game has failed if it consolidates servers down to a minimum number just to support a small, loyal fanbase.  Look how many people claim that games like Warhammer Online and Conan have failed.  Finally, probably the closest to true actual fail, is when games have to close down.  But many games close down because the company chooses to do so, not for lack of a fanbase.  So I guess this is subjective too, depending on how you look at failed.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you make that video?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Branthog
    @YoungFrey said:
    " @jking47 said:
    "Whenever I see one of these "All MMOs are the same! and if they arent the same they fail!"I feel like no one knows what EVE online is. Its the best MMO on the market, and nothing like WoW at all.  It has also never stopped growing since it was launched, which is something that even WoW can't say. One of the top exports of Iceland too =P "
    To be fair, EVE is also growing very slowly.  They aren't even at 500K players I think.  I'm not knocking EVE, but it's still a fairly small fish next to WoW. "
    How is the total number of people playing an MMO relevant? At best, RIFT might have a million players. Spread across 100 servers. If a fifth of all players are on at any given time, that's about 2,000 players on any "world" at any moment. In EVE, it's all one world. Of 300k or more. And around 50-60k at any one moment. Total subscribers is irrelevant. Especially considering that CCP continues to bring the most impressive game mechanics and actual technical advancements in the gaming industry to their MMO, while others just put on new pretty skins to what's already been done.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Branthog
    @Matt: 

The problem with almost every MMO in existence can be summarized fairly easily: They are nothing more than single player RPGs that take place in a multi-player environment. Everyone is doing their own thing and nothing impacts the world (or if it does, it's in a very toggled on/off sort of territorial control sort of way). There are guilds, but they are meaningless . . . again, because nothing truly impacts the world. You are playing an RPG with maybe a couple other people, running across other people who also happen to be playing their own single player RPG, along side you.

For an MMO to evolve, it has to become a sandbox. It has to allow the players to define how the gameplay is implemented. To control things. To generate conflict. Instead, we just get the same game repeatedly for the past decade.
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By YoungFrey

@Branthog said:

" @YoungFrey said:
    " @jking47 said:
    To be fair, EVE is also growing very slowly.  They aren't even at 500K players I think.  I'm not knocking EVE, but it's still a fairly small fish next to WoW. "
    How is the total number of people playing an MMO relevant? At best, RIFT might have a million players. Spread across 100 servers. If a fifth of all players are on at any given time, that's about 2,000 players on any "world" at any moment. In EVE, it's all one world. Of 300k or more. And around 50-60k at any one moment. Total subscribers is irrelevant. Especially considering that CCP continues to bring the most impressive game mechanics and actual technical advancements in the gaming industry to their MMO, while others just put on new pretty skins to what's already been done. "

Again, I'm not saying EVE is a bad game, or a small universe, or haas a tepid fanbase.  I'm a fan myself and there are many really interesting things MMO designers should take note of.  My point was that despite being older than WoW , growing constantly, is cheaper than WoW and gets continual freee upgrades, it is still less than 1/30th as popular as  WoW. It might be the most interesting MMO to me, but clearly what games like WoW, Rift, etc.. provide is what people want.   

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By matt
    @S0ndor said:
    " Did you make that video? "
    Yes I did.

@Branthog: I know people aren't going to agree with me but The Matrix Online. The live events in that were the best. They really added to world and I think just seeing that again would excite me. Live events that happened regularly and that would change the direction of the story, I want that back!
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By melcene
    @Matt: It seems that MMOs with live events nearly always get positive feedback on that.  You would think someone would take a clue from it.  But it hasn't really taken off.  I have wondered over the years if it's just too much of a cost issue or what. 

@Branthog: I think the number of people playing an MMO is relevant when he was replying to someone's post about growth in the MMO market.  When you're talking about growth in an MMO market, numbers do mean a lot.
    Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#22  Edited By Marino  Staff

I'll be the cliche old man talking about walking uphill in the snow both ways. But nothing will ever top original EQ for me. I came to terms with this many years ago. Nothing can ever recapture that magic. MMO's today are way too hand-holdy with their glowing trails telling you where to go next, super easy exp/leveling rate, icons immediately popping up on your map telling you where a quest NPC is, and complete lack of mystery to the game. The biggest problem to me though is that no one is ever afraid to die in MMO's now. You should be scared when going into a new area. There should be a penalty for death; a harsh penalty. It adds validity to the world you're playing in. Anyway, I could go on for hours about everything I despise about current MMOs, but I won't. 

Not to sound super depressing, but I'm pretty sure I'll never have as much fun in any game, not just an MMO, ever again. It's been over 10 years now and nothing's come close to matching that sense of wonder, mystery, adventure, and community.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By YoungFrey
    @melcene said:
    "@Matt: It seems that MMOs with live events nearly always get positive feedback on that.  You would think someone would take a clue from it.  But it hasn't really taken off.  I have wondered over the years if it's just too much of a cost issue or what. 

I know that Blizzard has said before that events are high cost for low return.  Especially 1-time events.They could spend X Amount of time developing a new dungeon or raid or leveling quest series that everyone could experience and all future players could too.  But that same effort put into an event is seen briefly by only current players.  And if it's an actualy played event, only max level characters tend to be able to participate too.  Admittedly, since saying that, Blizzard has done a number of really well recieved events (like the undead invasion) so clearly they see some value in iit.  And they have addded or fleshed out their holiday events.   

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Matt said:
    " @S0ndor said:
    " Did you make that video? "
    Yes I did.   
    In that case, nice job! The editing kept things moving along at a nice pace and your commentary was genuinely enjoyable.
    matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By matt
    @S0ndor:  Thank a lot duder :D
    clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By clstirens

I agree, an MMO without a rigid structure and more fluid player-world interactions is where the genre needs to go.  Player driven conflict and story telling is generally more interesting than a crummy, slow combat system that leads to on generic, boring quests, until you're high enough a level to do the same thing with a group of people.

The most fun part of MMOs, it seems, is that they are glorified chat rooms that let you be someone else in another world.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Yeah, I can't play any fantasy MMO games because honestly I've done it all before in WoW.  The only way I'll ever play another MMO is if a great FPS or 3rd person shooter comes out.  I got high hopes for Warhammer 40k.... its coming out like this decade right?  Please?

Ok, I will admit that if I could get at least two other people to play a new MMO with me, I would give it a serious shot.  But people have too much invested in WoW to drop it.

Fishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fishstick

"I totally killed six people. They are now in Hell, where they belong." This made me laugh. Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By EgoCheck616
    @Matt: Why the fuck did you post this in a Rift discussion board? 
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @christ0phe said:
    "Making an MMO is a terrible business decision in my opinion "

Mainly because they don't last compared to certian other mmos.. 
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By tekmojo

I understand where your complaints are coming from, but if you think TOR and future MMOs are going to be terribly different than WoW, then I'd rethink that. With TOR you will get a great story most likely. That's all fine and well, but if the gameplay and mechanics aren't changing the MMO formula much, then what's the end of the road looking like? Same old click square, watch numbers fly up, enter instance, kill boss, etc.  

This is why the developer and polish matter so much in MMOs these days, and why Rift is having so much positive feedback. You're essentially looking at the same interface, using the same mechanics, and encountering the same situations over and over and over. If it's done well, players can build around that. You can make a game only so spectacular or innovating; the players have to be willing to embrace the developers' outlook as well. It all comes back to the community, the game will feed off that 99.9% of the time. 

edit* Appreciate the video, anything to help spread the common word about MMOs is a potential friend or foe for me.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By matt
    @tekmojo:  I'm definitely interested in TOR but I'm not saying it's the future of MMOs. I agree with you that community in MMOs is vital, the problem in these more recent MMOs is that they have no community what so ever.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Slaker117

The only MMO I've found entertaining was Matrix Online, and that was mostly because of you. I've tried to get into others because my friends were playing them, but never could. I don't get the appeal of the structure, and without that hook they just become really boring RPGs. If you have a good group I guess it could be fun, but that could be said about anything.

notha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By notha

have you given puzzle pirates a try? its the most wildly different mmo experience i've had and still play, years later

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MisterMollusk
    @Matt: If you're willing to give something new (really really old actually, but still around and updating), I'd give Medievia a try. It's a text-based MMO with a great community.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Example1013
    @Branthog said:
    " @Matt:   The problem with almost every MMO in existence can be summarized fairly easily: They are nothing more than single player RPGs that take place in a multi-player environment. Everyone is doing their own thing and nothing impacts the world (or if it does, it's in a very toggled on/off sort of territorial control sort of way). There are guilds, but they are meaningless . . . again, because nothing truly impacts the world. You are playing an RPG with maybe a couple other people, running across other people who also happen to be playing their own single player RPG, along side you.  For an MMO to evolve, it has to become a sandbox. It has to allow the players to define how the gameplay is implemented. To control things. To generate conflict. Instead, we just get the same game repeatedly for the past decade. "
    I'm just gonna drop this, this, and this here. This game bucked just about every MMO trope available. But it was plagued by other issues (frequent crashes, server lag to the point of freezing during large battles (as in upwards of like 100 on a good day), steepest learning curve of all time, and no real PvE whatsoever), and was finally shut down last June.
    sharkeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sharkeh

One of the main things WoW has done is really up the bar in terms of polish. They made WoW play so well and intuitively that now people expect it from new games. I mean, before WoW, I used to play AO and Planetside and loved them both but the level of polish was nowhere near WoW's and I don't think any mmo has come close since. I tried Fallen Earth, which is similar to AO, the other day and would have loved it if it weren't for WoW spoiling what I expect. RIFT is the closest to being on the same level of polish to WoW from what I've seen of the beta but I really don't care for the Warhammer style graphics and it's not different enough from WoW for me.  

I'm super looking forward to SW:TOR since what I played in the beta was everything I wanted: A persistent online SW game set in the KOTOR time-line. I hope they announce a release date soon.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By matt
    @sharkeh:  I agree with everything you just said. WoW really did set a standard in terms of polish but I think it's shame that now days we can't seem to escape the WoW model.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.