Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rift

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 01, 2011

RIFT is a free-to-play fantasy MMORPG, developed by Trion Worlds.

Where is everyone?

JFetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JFetch

I thought that once the open beta started this place would start filling up with posts. Did everyone forget about it?

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FritzDude

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @FritzDude:  LOL

Well, I was excited for Rift at first, but then I took a step back. While it is an extremely well polished game, it will turn into the game and community that it itself despises sooner or later. Some dude on The GeekBox said it best when he said, "this game is for people who are tired of WoW, but want to do the same exact thing." And I can't argue that. I've played in every beta so far and each time I kept thinking how familiar everything was,

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling this a bad game or anything of the sort. It's quite the opposite. It's just not for me anymore.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

I didn't even know it was in open beta.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#5  Edited By vager

I've played the beta; It's decent. 
    I like how their class system works.
    But ya, it's similar to WoW and I'm kind of tired of WoW, so I lost interest.

walter_sobchak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By walter_sobchak

Giant Bomb has never covered this game in any video or podcast.  Makes me sad, since I'm a big fan of both.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

It's an ok game from what i played in the open beta.  Reminded me more of Warhammer online than anything else. 

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By ch3burashka

What's a Rift? 

All I remember is that Valve was doing some cross-promotion with it and TF2. Or was it some other unknown MMO...

Osiris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Osiris

I played the Open Beta and while comparing things to WoW, sowly I realised how different this game is.... It's really not much like it other then some features that every MMO should have to this day.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i dont even know what this game is and never heard of it 

i just remember adding it to the 2011 releases list thread, otherwise it's not on my radar whatsoever.. 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By melcene

I posted about it this week in my blog here on GB after playing during the open beta.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By sins_of_mosin

First off, Giantbomb's forums are never really filling up with posts and second, its a MMO pc game so that don't help.  And I never heard of this game until a couple weeks ago when QQ'ers on the WoW forum were talking about it being the next great thing.    
    gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gunstar

Is it still in open beta? I'm off work today and this is perfect.

Chriskje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Chriskje
    @gunstar: The open beta ended a couple of days ago. The head-start starts today however (now?), so if you preorder the game you can start playing right away.
    Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sedasys

Yeah the head-start's up now. Unfortunately it turns out half my fucking files are corrupt. I guess I can wait a few more hours.

Innovacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Innovacious
    @Sedasys:  most of us have to wait anywho. 30 seconds after the head start started, all the servers were full with queues of over 4000 now. I currently have an estimated wait of 17 hours to get in to the server i wanted to join. They tried adding a couple more servers but they are the same after less than a minute.
    Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sedasys
    @innovacious: US or EU? There were several EU servers that were low population when I just checked.
    Innovacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Innovacious

Im EU, same for US apparently, official rift forums keep crashing under the load of everyone flocking to complain

Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sedasys

God damn. And I thought that Rift would be less full after Beta. Boy was I wrong.
    What shard you planning on playing?

louis0nfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By louis0nfire
    @Sedasys: I've been in a queue since 1:00. There are more people playing now, in the middle of the day, than anytime I played during open beta. Crazy. I'm on Seastone (PvP) server with some friends.
    JFetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JFetch

I'm kind of glad I had to work today with all the problems they are having. It's just the head start and they can't keep up with the demand. The fact that they have over a million subscribers tells me people want something besides WoW.

Avatar image for great__defunct__northern
    Great__defunct__Northern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm on Laethys 
    I have a Mage named ACCURATE 
    Defiant

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Demyx

Guild Wars 2, no subscription fees. Fuck rift and WoW. I'm too cheap.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By ttocs
    @Demyx said:
    " Guild Wars 2, no subscription fees. Fuck rift and WoW. I'm too cheap. "
    Unless you're living in the future, that's not exactly an option for the MMO itch.  
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By floodiastus

I didnt like it, I tried open beta but the game was just filled with quests of the type " KILL X " 

Sure public quests (or rifts or whatever) are a  nice idea. But the rest of the game was very uninspiring. I saw NPC character models hovering above ground and alot of texture art was not aligned correctly. It felt polished at first but the closer you look at things the more it falls apart. 

The main thing holding it back though was the quests

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Demyx
    @ttocs said:
    " @Demyx said:
    " Guild Wars 2, no subscription fees. Fuck rift and WoW. I'm too cheap. "
    Unless you're living in the future, that's not exactly an option for the MMO itch.   "
    true, but i don't have the time or money for any new games, so no itch for me. Although I do wish I could play RIft, beta was fun and i have a couple friends already playing, its not really possible.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By WickedCestus

I hate it when all you guys start talking about games I don't know about. It feels like you're talking in tongues or something.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Otacon

Was completely off  my radar until someone told me about it last week. Sure I'm not into MMO's  but I would have thought I'd have at least seen a headline of it. Nevertheless it looks interesting and I'd like to see some coverage of it. 

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ttocs
    @Otacon said:
    " Was completely off  my radar until someone told me about it last week. Sure I'm not into MMO's  but I would have thought I'd have at least seen a headline of it. Nevertheless it looks interesting and I'd like to see some coverage of it.  "
    I'm finding that people who typically aren't into MMO's are showing interest in this game.  The open world events are what's really turning them on to it.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By melcene
    @ttocs said:
    " @Otacon said:
    " Was completely off  my radar until someone told me about it last week. Sure I'm not into MMO's  but I would have thought I'd have at least seen a headline of it. Nevertheless it looks interesting and I'd like to see some coverage of it.  "
    I'm finding that people who typically aren't into MMO's are showing interest in this game.  The open world events are what's really turning them on to it. "
    I find it interesting that the open world events in this game are capturing everyone's attention, but somehow the public quests of Warhammer Online escaped attention.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Branthog
    @ttocs said:

" @Otacon said:

I'm finding that people who typically aren't into MMO's are showing interest in this game.  The open world events are what's really turning them on to it. "
    People who aren't typically into videogames also have shown a lot of interest in Angry Birds and Farmville, so that doesn't really speak toward the positive attributes of "yet another cookie cutter MMO", unless that is exactly the market they're aiming for.

Someone needs to appeal to the people who are tired of picking ten flowers and killing twenty rats and finding five people to go do some group quest for the 40th time that has a more player-driven dynamic and world rather than a more "single-player RPG" feel. RIFT may be polished, but it's not the leaps and bounds we should be achieving by now, some six or seven years after WoW and some . . . what . . . almost fifteen years after Ultima?

Personally, I just yearn for the day when I won't get bored of an MMO within 48hrs to 14 days after starting, because I realize "wait, I'm doing absolutely everything I've ever done in every other variation of this".

Plus, you know, again . . . shards. It's 2011 and we still have to figure out who is going to be playing on which server so we aren't separated from our friends (if we play with any). It's all so quaint.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ttocs
    @melcene said:
    " @ttocs said:
    " @Otacon said:
    I find it interesting that the open world events in this game are capturing everyone's attention, but somehow the public quests of Warhammer Online escaped attention. "
    I liked the open world events of Warhammer but I don't think they were implemented well.  I actually googled them that game the other day to try and refresh my memory on it.  I couldn't remember if there was an auto group ability for the events.  I love the auto group for Rift and it works great, but for the life of me I couldn't remember if it was there in Warhammer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.