Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rise of Flight: The First Great Air War

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 07, 2009

This WWI flight sim uses a free-to-play business model, allowing players to purchase and fly a variety of painstakingly modelled era-appropriate aircraft, taking an incredibly realistic physics engine into account.

The dawn of flight

mmzOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By mmzOne

Since I saw that the Rise of Flight is having 50% sale, I decided to spend some money that I don't have and get WW1 flight sim. 
    I bought demo ultra upgrade, which gave me nice 18ish plane to fly . With this my sim collection keeps slowly growing bigger and bigger. 
    (ROF, IL-2 Sturmovik, Falcon 4 BMS, DCS A-10, Black Shark 2, Silent Hunter 3, few different car sims, etc.) And I'm not even a hardcore simmer.
    I decided to write this blog mostly because of the forum quests, and I thought it might be fun to try to imagine yourself as this imaginary WW1 pilot.
    Well, you try anything at least once. :)

x.x.1916 Saxton, Germany

After eyeing the air force for some time, I finally decided to take the plunge and enlist.
    Enlistment process was surprisingly painless operation, although expensive one if you think about the current financial situation.

I decided to start a career in the German air force since we are in a war.   Stupid Brits and Frenchmen keep fighting back.
    Why can’t they just surrender and make life easier for all of us? In the recruitment part I had possibility to choose what squadron I would like to join.
    There were few different options, but I decided to go with Jasta 11. Since number 1 is always the winner and hence the best,
    Jasta 11 must be twice as good. Double bestest, I’m genius. 

Friday 1.9.1916

Arrived at Brayelles, Douai airfield. Spend some time reading newspaper and checking out roster and what not.
    Nothing to do today.

Saturday 2.9.1916

I had my first flight today. I was assigned a Fokker E.III, plane I had never flown before. With me were Steffen Neumann (flight lead) and Erns Klein, 
    both of them out ranks me. I had some difficulties to get the engine running at beginning. Neumann and Klein decided to leave without me.
    Finally managed to start the engine when I moved the throttle. Duh.

Fokker E.III felt quite pleasant to fly, stable but slow. One thing that weird me out was that it doesn’t have a throttle. Engine is either full on or off.
    Although it has a blip switch, that will stop the engine as long as you hold it down. Flight was pretty uneventful,
    almost clear sky with few small clouds at 2100 m. I flied in formation with Klein, Neumann flied couple hundred meters in front of us.
    While in flight I kept watching how the wires moved while I played with the stick. Almost collided with Klein.

Note: Don't play with the plane while in close proximity with others.

I managed to shot down one enemy observation balloon, although I almost crashed into it while doing so. Saw another balloon nearby that I could destroy,
    but unfortunately my gun jammed in the middle of strafing run and somebody else managed to shoot it down, so I didn’t get the kill.
    At this point I was starting to get hungry and I also saw few enemy planes approaching from west, so I decided to fly home.

Note: Holding the blip switch so long that the engine rpms falls to zero, will kill the engine and it cannot be restarted while in flight.
    Managed to land safely.

I was awarded a flight medal.

– Unteroffizier Andreas Drews

mmzOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mmzOne

Since I saw that the Rise of Flight is having 50% sale, I decided to spend some money that I don't have and get WW1 flight sim. 
    I bought demo ultra upgrade, which gave me nice 18ish plane to fly . With this my sim collection keeps slowly growing bigger and bigger. 
    (ROF, IL-2 Sturmovik, Falcon 4 BMS, DCS A-10, Black Shark 2, Silent Hunter 3, few different car sims, etc.) And I'm not even a hardcore simmer.
    I decided to write this blog mostly because of the forum quests, and I thought it might be fun to try to imagine yourself as this imaginary WW1 pilot.
    Well, you try anything at least once. :)

x.x.1916 Saxton, Germany

After eyeing the air force for some time, I finally decided to take the plunge and enlist.
    Enlistment process was surprisingly painless operation, although expensive one if you think about the current financial situation.

I decided to start a career in the German air force since we are in a war.   Stupid Brits and Frenchmen keep fighting back.
    Why can’t they just surrender and make life easier for all of us? In the recruitment part I had possibility to choose what squadron I would like to join.
    There were few different options, but I decided to go with Jasta 11. Since number 1 is always the winner and hence the best,
    Jasta 11 must be twice as good. Double bestest, I’m genius. 

Friday 1.9.1916

Arrived at Brayelles, Douai airfield. Spend some time reading newspaper and checking out roster and what not.
    Nothing to do today.

Saturday 2.9.1916

I had my first flight today. I was assigned a Fokker E.III, plane I had never flown before. With me were Steffen Neumann (flight lead) and Erns Klein, 
    both of them out ranks me. I had some difficulties to get the engine running at beginning. Neumann and Klein decided to leave without me.
    Finally managed to start the engine when I moved the throttle. Duh.

Fokker E.III felt quite pleasant to fly, stable but slow. One thing that weird me out was that it doesn’t have a throttle. Engine is either full on or off.
    Although it has a blip switch, that will stop the engine as long as you hold it down. Flight was pretty uneventful,
    almost clear sky with few small clouds at 2100 m. I flied in formation with Klein, Neumann flied couple hundred meters in front of us.
    While in flight I kept watching how the wires moved while I played with the stick. Almost collided with Klein.

Note: Don't play with the plane while in close proximity with others.

I managed to shot down one enemy observation balloon, although I almost crashed into it while doing so. Saw another balloon nearby that I could destroy,
    but unfortunately my gun jammed in the middle of strafing run and somebody else managed to shoot it down, so I didn’t get the kill.
    At this point I was starting to get hungry and I also saw few enemy planes approaching from west, so I decided to fly home.

Note: Holding the blip switch so long that the engine rpms falls to zero, will kill the engine and it cannot be restarted while in flight.
    Managed to land safely.

I was awarded a flight medal.

– Unteroffizier Andreas Drews

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.