Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rise of Flight: The First Great Air War

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 07, 2009

This WWI flight sim uses a free-to-play business model, allowing players to purchase and fly a variety of painstakingly modelled era-appropriate aircraft, taking an incredibly realistic physics engine into account.

Your Rise of Flight Video

ChiefRedCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ChiefRedCloud

WE at New Wings Rise of Flight Server want to thank you for stopping into our Multiplayer server and joining in the fun. If you would ever like to persue RoF further we at New Wings ( http://newwings.site.nfoservers.com/news.php) would be pleased to help you enjoy your experiance even more. Though from your video it appears you two had a blast. At least until the Spad 13 found your tail. It's call SA or Situational Awarness. Also for a note, the handle on the Albitros radiator is all the way forward to be open. With it closed you deminished your engine, left a large white trail, and pretty much identified yourself to all the bad guys. But from your video you still did quite well. Congratulations on your first, and hopefully not your last, adventure into Rise of Flight.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BisonHero

Between this forum post, and the comment from a RoF developer on the video itself, you guys seem like a pretty welcoming community! It's not my kind of game, but I'm sure at least a few people who watched the video earlier today will check the game out because of it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

Game seems very cool, downloading now, i wish i had the money for the track IR though! And a fancy control setup, i have a joystick but it's pretty simple.

Bishop113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bishop113

Yes! The Rise of flight community is one of the most welcoming groups of people I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of, if you need help with anything stop over on the site and feel free to ask questions in the forums http://riseofflight.com/Forum/index.php

No need to have track IR or a fancy joystick to play it, a simple flight stick is plenty to play ROF.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By ethan_raiden

I've been playing a lot of this game recently, mostly in the career mode, it's really cool. I think I'll jump into some multiplayer soon, I think I have the hang of the game enough to not be a burden on anyone :)

warthog271--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To everyone drooling over the Track IR and flight controller, I have a quick thought;

I feel Rise of Flight is one of the rare flight Sims where you don't need dozens of buttons on your joystick. I own both a Track IR and a Logitech G940 controller combo. If I had to choose one, I'd play Rise of Flight with the Track IR and a 360 controller over the G940 and no Track IR any day.

For anyone wanting to get a bit more serious about Sim flying, I feel the free to play Rise of Flight, and a $110 Track IR is a great way to ease into the scene. Any thoughts?

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#7  Edited By Sin4profit

@warthog271: My thoughts; Save $90, Download FreeTrack, hack together the parts you need (LEDs and a cheap webcam) and you're golden...Plus a learning experience.

jupham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By jupham

as an alternative to FreeTrack you could try http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm. It does head tracking through facial recognition. It wasn't hard to setup and works well. FaceTrack may require you to modify your webcam and this might be an option to try before doing that.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sin4profit

@jupham: yeah, i've tried facetracknoir, My problem with it is you require either good lighting of your face or a webcam that works well in low light (otherwise you get a lot of noise interference with the tracker. You only need to modify a webcam for Freetrack if you're working with IR lighting. You can use regular LEDs and it'll work fine and modifying the webcam is, at least for me, a simple process of taking it apart and pulling off the little piece of glass IR filter. This method could also benefit FaceTrackNoir as you could have IR light shining directly in your face without any of the eye strain of the regular light.

Anyway, i'm building an IR Clip to use with Freetrack and plan to create some kind of instructions this week for people curious about TrackIR. I'll also test my night vision version of FaceTrackNoir while i'm at it.

jupham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jupham

@Sin4profit: Cool. I'm considering doing an IR LED clip for FreeTrack. I have FaceTrackNoIR working but it still seems a little flaky. I'm not sure if that is inherent in this head tracking stuff or just a problem with using face tracking to do it.

warthog271--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jupham: Excellent thoughts on the DIY setups. I've seen some setups using a wiimote instead of a camera, but I assume that would be limited to two LED's.

As far as flaking out; I can attest that even in a totally dark room and @ full LED brightness the Track IR 5 still flakes out now and again. Enough so that I have the re-center function mapped to a a prominent joystick button. It seems whether commercial or homebrew nothing works perfectly yet.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sin4profit

@warthog271: nah,the Wiimote is just a wireless IR sensor that can connect to a PC via Blutooth. the IR LED build will be the same. I've built my home brew and after a lot of tweeking it works fairly well but i wonder how it compares to the TrackIR system.

jupham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jupham

@warthog271: yeah, I can see that. I built 3 LED clip at the end of last week. A lot of tweaking could not quite get it functioning how I wanted it to and I was never sure if it was my build or I just wasn't doing enough stuff yet. I'm having a TrackClip Pro sent to try out and see if I can get that working properly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.